SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

helmet question

Hi, I'm currently going to take 2B practical soon and wondering what kind of helmet should I get. Of course, there are the default ones that the driving centre sells that is around $50 but is it advisable to just get a good one before I start my practical? Or does anyone advise otherwise?

Chongaik is selling the XR1100 at 380 instead of 550 now so I'm thinking if it'll be a good investment or should I wait. And also as a first timer should I try it on before purchasing? I'm thinking if I can go down to the shop itself. hope someone can advise me, thanks!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always try on a helmet before buying. the fact is different people have different head shapes, and helmet manufacturers are only 'guessing' their helmet's internal shape to fit as many people as possible. look up internet to read about how to feel for good helmet fit.

if you're going to buy a helmet anyway then might as well buy the helmet you will wear after passing. unless your plan is to buy the cheapo open face at center or somewhere (if elsewhere make sure helmet has tuv sticker) and then later on buy your more expensive ideal helmet. which is not a bad idea either.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

I remember paying $30-something for my cheapo MHR helmet from BBDC. That's a great beginner's helmet. I really wouldn't get the XR1100 for learning. Not that it's a bad helmet. But a full face helmet has several disadvantages:

1) It makes you look like a chiongster. This is VERY subjective though. But I would reckon that it would inadvertently affect the mindset of the tester passing or failing you.

2) Is this PSB tested and approved? Most learning centres are quite sticky about this - especially for 2B learners. I know many higher-end helmets are "not approved", not because that they are BAD, but more because they are expensive to test. Have to send helmet to PSB for testing - which includes "destroying" it.

3) MOST importantly, it's HOT!! Full face helmets are by design, warmer than open faced ones. While learning 2B, you WON'T gather enough speed to cool off. Any bikers who mention "I got used to it" are actually referring to actual riding conditions - where one is on the move most of the time.

But of course, ultimately, it's your choice... =)

A mid-lifer who started late on the motorised 2-wheeler game. Currently riding a 200NS - with a P-plate.

Randomly rants at www.sgBikerBoy.com

First helmet as a learner get a cheapo $30+ helmet. Then learn how helmets are scratch, how to maintain the cleaniness, dropped already what would happen, etc. After you pass then consider getting a better one.

Hi everyone, thanks for all your input. And yes, I realised that the higher end models might not be PSB approved. I wanted to, like mechwira mentioned to just get something that I will use after passing. But then again there might be cons to doing so as well. Currently I might be getting the $50 kind from the driving centre, and then use it as a pillion helmet after I've passed. but another thing is I've been reading and it seems that there aren't many choices to PSB approved helmets. What do you all think? Which will be good to get? PSB or non PSB approved and risk getting caught/insurance void?

Hi everyone, thanks for all your input. And yes, I realised that the higher end models might not be PSB approved. I wanted to, like mechwira mentioned to just get something that I will use after passing. But then again there might be cons to doing so as well. Currently I might be getting the $50 kind from the driving centre, and then use it as a pillion helmet after I've passed. but another thing is I've been reading and it seems that there aren't many choices to PSB approved helmets. What do you all think? Which will be good to get? PSB or non PSB approved and risk getting caught/insurance void?

firstly, i dun see why "there arent many choices". Open face approved can get anywhere. Full faced approve also have a lot at the proper full face helmet shops. typically its only when you die-die want a particular brand/model not approved that you will complain, or want to buy overseas bring in. otherwise.... why won't you settle for any of the available models?

secondly.... in my experience, when you wear a full face of an established brand, TP unlikely to check for TUV sticker. their approach is like mata approach to gay sex: technically all gay sex against the law but they use discretion. they want to catch the obvious unsafe helmets. i have never heard of a rider wearing genuine arai and being booked for no psb. TP are bikers too and their priority is the rider's safety. i have never had a TP check my full face for psb sticker. obviously if you wear a coconut half helmet or full face with horns you're just asking to be booked.

as for insurance, i have yet to hear of any insurance settlement where the rider is denied compensation on account of a helmet with no psb, although again a half cap or full face with horns might be asking for it too. theres a thread on this somewhere.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

I used a non-PSB approved helmet for my 2B and 2A lessons (SSDC) didnt have any problems with instructors/tp though, maybe BBDC/CDC different. (of course i'm not encouraging you to use a non-PSB approved helmet but ride safe & don't be a speed monster and you don't have to worry as much about insurance void and all)

And yeah, i use a open face helmet when i'm learning. After passing my 2B i got myself a modular helmet, then when i go back for my 2A i wear back that open face. Tried going for my 2A lesson once with my modular helmet and it was really a bad bad idea.

CDC has a full saying no full face, only 3/4 helmet with clear or no face shield. No sunglasses either.

Supposed to require PSB sticker, but that's subjective, have gotten away without it.

But defo on 3/4.

Check out my Website for freelance design and marketing services! : www.reizeprimus.com

Or watch my Youtube channel for more Motovlogs and Motorcycling Content! : www.youtube.com/ReizePrimus

Well if u want something more better , can go check out the nolans, ask for Psb approval ones w internal sun shades. Best of both world. Got open face ... If u must get Psb, or get a cheap one at ctr...

Motoworld also have nice ones.... But I think no Psb

For me, as Long as DOT , I happy. V good ones like shoei arai, no sticker as they dun send for Insp.

But tp or later also won't bother as Long as a decent motorcycle helmet.

That's if u so concern over a sticker. Doesn't mean is good if hav sticker....

Get after ur tp test if u concern....

The thing about PSB sticker is not bcos it's more safe - there is this old folk's tale that TP can fault you during your TP test if you're not wearing PSb approved helmet.

Hi, I'm currently going to take 2B practical soon and wondering what kind of helmet should I get. Of course, there are the default ones that the driving centre sells that is around $50 but is it advisable to just get a good one before I start my practical? Or does anyone advise otherwise?

Chongaik is selling the XR1100 at 380 instead of 550 now so I'm thinking if it'll be a good investment or should I wait. And also as a first timer should I try it on before purchasing? I'm thinking if I can go down to the shop itself. hope someone can advise me, thanks!!

You can hardly get to speed in the driving centre.

After youre done with your class 2, your helmet will be looking like junk.

I vote to use the cheap school helmet and stay below the radar.

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

Seriously, if cost is not a concern, get the cheapo $30 helmet from the school, pass your TP test, then put on your preferred helmet - PSB approved or not is a personal choice.

If cost is a concern, just borrow the school's helmets. You won't go wrong with them.

Why let yourself be vulnerable to the tester? Technically, I think the tester can immediately fail you for wearing a non-PSB-approved helmet. Quite simply because IT IS THE LAW! It may be loosely enforced, but still is the law! Just like exceeding speed limit - may be loosely enforced (after you get your license), but still the law to keep to the speed limit. If exceed during test..... Immediate failure.

A mid-lifer who started late on the motorised 2-wheeler game. Currently riding a 200NS - with a P-plate.

Randomly rants at www.sgBikerBoy.com

• 3 weeks later...

I really suggest you getting a Nova helmet if you die die want to get a helmet but best would be to use the school's helmet, they obviously would provide adequate safety for their students, I have a OZI 72 , currently on prac 5. I kinda feel sian already to bring a helmet along, from my next prac onwards I looking to just bring along a head liner and use school one. If you still decide to get a helmet, do go ahead but I really recommend the Nova helmet as it's kinda comfy and not too hot, I think it costs about $50-$60 at ah boy shop. Try bargain or buy with a friend to get cheapest price. Most of my friends are using it too.

Edited by furyx

• 1 month later...

I bought an oversized helmet for my 2b because nobody taught me what size is good for me. There are websites and video showing you what is the correct fit for your head. Not all helmets of the same size could fit your head because all our heads are different shapes and size. As some people above share with you that you should go and try, make sure you see the online videos first. After wearing, shake your head front and back to make sure it doesn't come off easily. I know it sounds odd, but make sure your head can feel the inner part of the helmet ensuring there is no hollow part your head cannot touch. If it hurts, probably it's too small.