SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Harley Enquiry

Don Juan

I went to spray some brake cleaner on the front and rear brake pads. Rode it for about 30km++. Arrrgggggg..... sound still there.

try using spray grease at the axles

My Rides:

LuLu, Piaggio Gilera Runner FXR 180 (Feb05-Aug05)

PhanPhan, Honda Phantom TA 200 (Aug05-July07)

Leyley, HD Sportster XL1200R (Jul07-July09)

TiTi, Yamaha Majesty YP250 (Jul07-Oct09)

DyNaNa, HD FXDX Dyna SGS (Jul09-Dec10)

LanPaPa, Vespa Excel PX150XE (Oct09-Jul10)

PiaSekSek, Piaggio X8 (Aug10-Dec10)

Stixie, Honda ST1300A (Jan11-Nov15)

Giogio, Piaggio MP3 400IE (Nov15-??)

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to spray some brake cleaner on the front and rear brake pads. Rode it for about 30km++. Arrrgggggg..... sound still there.

Dude, it is NOT your brakes.

By the way, it's disc brakes right, not drum brakes?

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg

I dunno ah. I just repeating what I saw and what my mech told me. And true enough after that it was ok.

Actually the main thing I went to check wasn't the sound but to ask why the rear brakes weren't so effective.

Sorry I can't tell u where it is, dun have a sportster anymore to check. hahaha

Is your sporty on rear disc brakes?

Hmm... talking about noises from the bike. I often hear the 'squeaky squeaky' sound from the final belt drive when I'm coasting to a stop (clutched in)

I never worried about it because I felt it was a normal consequence of a belt drive. Any comments?

I had some noise from my brakes as well, but a good blow with compressed air usually resolves that.

BlackDawn aka kiamh

"There is no man more free than the one who doesn't give a damn what society thinks of him"

yup. All HDs are disc brakes rite?

Maybe it's just brake dust. Try air spraying it clean?

not sure if all HDs are on rear disc.

but it's not brake dust for sure as explained earlier.

Guys, i'm quite confused now.... i've got some WD40, but where do i spary? I'm game to meet up during the weekends.... maybe at dealership cos i need to go there to ask about my chrome caps which are missing. Anywhere else is fine too. But this Sat, got to run some errands first and send my car for inspection.... may have a game of shooting too....

I am staying in the east my be able to meet and see your bike if you want.

my rear brakes also got sound now, but probably my brake pads are thin liao, metal screeeching sound... sucks....

My Rides:

LuLu, Piaggio Gilera Runner FXR 180 (Feb05-Aug05)

PhanPhan, Honda Phantom TA 200 (Aug05-July07)

Leyley, HD Sportster XL1200R (Jul07-July09)

TiTi, Yamaha Majesty YP250 (Jul07-Oct09)

DyNaNa, HD FXDX Dyna SGS (Jul09-Dec10)

LanPaPa, Vespa Excel PX150XE (Oct09-Jul10)

PiaSekSek, Piaggio X8 (Aug10-Dec10)

Stixie, Honda ST1300A (Jan11-Nov15)

Giogio, Piaggio MP3 400IE (Nov15-??)

hey don juan

Had the same problem as you earlier on. Had the wheel bearings changed, but the sound returned after a couple of days. The mechanic then put some sort of wax on the belt (Im not sure what type it was), and the sound disappeared, but came back again within a week. Then went to hd @ alexendra last week, and it turns out that the pulley needs to be replaced.

I think it may be better just to check with hd, as there are numerous reasons for the sound being there.

Hope it gets rectified soon though.. ride safe.

"But hey, it's a sportster, it's supposed to vibrate, lets you know you have a bike between your knees." -zimbob

Went cruising last night and went to someplace quiet to dignosed where the sound is coming from. Apperantly it's from the front. When i apply the front brakes gentlely to prolong the stop, the sound disappears. In short which means when i apply the front brakes, the sound goes off. Without applying the brakes the sound comes again.

I just recently got my front brake pad changed a week ago but didn't really take notice if the sound started immediately after i changed my brake pads. Any correlation to the above problem. Please advice.

Harley Davidson is not just a bike, it's a lifestyle......

Went cruising last night and went to someplace quiet to dignosed where the sound is coming from. Apperantly it's from the front. When i apply the front brakes gentlely to prolong the stop, the sound disappears. In short which means when i apply the front brakes, the sound goes off. Without applying the brakes the sound comes again.

I just recently got my front brake pad changed a week ago but didn't really take notice if the sound started immediately after i changed my brake pads. Any correlation to the above problem. Please advice.

if the sheng sheng sound is really from the front, it wont be difficult to rectify. i dont expect your disc to warp for no good reason.

just put the bike up on a jack and manually rotate the front wheel to pinpoint sound.

but how loud is it ? if it is not really loud, perhaps you are too sensitive becos it's a new bike?

if the sheng sheng sound is really from the front, it wont be difficult to rectify. i dont expect your disc to warp for no good reason.

just put the bike up on a jack and manually rotate the front wheel to pinpoint sound.

but how loud is it ? if it is not really loud, perhaps you are too sensitive becos it's a new bike?

Hmmm..... it's audible at 40km/h - 45km/h. When i ride faster, the pipes take over, can't hear already. It's an old bike, a 2003 Anni model. I just hope the sound goes off.... Asked the people in dealership what wrong with it, they said just ride a bit longer, see if it goes off. If not have to bring it in for servicing, so reluctant to do that....... :giddy:

I work at Tampines and i have seen 3 Sportsters parked around my office. All 3 of em near the Tampines Mall / Centuary Square area. Sure, i should be free this weekend. You hear a bike with a sheng..sheng..sheng sound coming, that's mine... ha ha

I work at Tampines and i have seen 3 Sportsters parked around my office. All 3 of em near the Tampines Mall / Centuary Square area. Sure, i should be free this weekend. You hear a bike with a sheng..sheng..sheng sound coming, that's mine... ha ha

yes staying around that area... where you park your bike in Tampines? if you want to meet during the weekend pm me

yes staying around that area... where you park your bike in Tampines? if you want to meet during the weekend pm me

I park my bike at my office carpark. It's underground. Can, will let you know if we meet up this weekend.

I was thinking of the sheng.. sheng... sheng... sound during my sleep and I suspect it may be my rotor because my brake pads were worn previously, which means that my rotors could be worn as well. (It may not have been changed for a long time by previous owner, i'm not sure).

Because the worn pads are rubbing against worn rotor, then i changed to new pads, which means they are much thicker. So became fresh thick brake pads rubbing against worn rotors.

So the thicker it is, it might be rubbing against the rotors without me even pressing the brake while the worn ones are much thinner and requires longer travel before they will bite. That explains why when i apply the front brakes, there is no sound. I think this has something to do with it..... Does my explaination make sense guys?

For now, i think i will do a proper run-in of the new brake pads first. Then will

monitor it for another week or so, if the rubbing sound continues, have to go to service, i think they will use a vernier calipers to measure the thickness of the rotors. If i am not wrong it cannot be thinner than a certain stated mm..... The problem is i am not sure how to judge what is a worn rotor and what is not......

if you run your fingers across the surface of the rotor and the surface is uneven, it a good indication it is worn

Oh, didn't know that, thanks. Will try it during lunch time. But it should'nt lead to further complications if i continue riding with a worn out rotor rite? Or will it demage other parts of my bike? So running in the new brake pads is not a good idea?

Oh, didn't know that, thanks. Will try it during lunch time. But it should'nt lead to further complications if i continue riding with a worn out rotor rite? Or will it demage other parts of my bike? So running in the new brake pads is not a good idea?

it really depends on how badly worn the disc are...check see if the holes on the disc meant for better ventilation has hairline cracks, if there is then it good to change. These hairline cracks are a killer as brake pads can get "eat" into these and cause the whole wheel to jam up...think of the consequences if that happens.

wanna ride with madness?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/maxxmadness/madness00.jpg

it really depends on how badly worn the disc are...check see if the holes on the disc meant for better ventilation has hairline cracks, if there is then it good to change. These hairline cracks are a killer as brake pads can get "eat" into these and cause the whole wheel to jam up...think of the consequences if that happens.

Thanks for the reply bro, will go and have a closer look. Thanks. Cast a wicket spell.... see you on the roads....