SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

How to D.I.Y on spraying colours to bike fairings

need to know izzit possible for me to spray my bikes whole body fairings on my own rather ten go to motor shop have them done for u??

n also how to go bout spraying helmets with our own colours..wat type of colour spray n how many coating for it..

experience bros who have done spray painting for fairings n helmets prefered..

but other bros can contribute some ideas too..

deeply appreciated..thanx:cheeky:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/dennisloh/DSC00124.jpg

Oceans of Beer,Mountains of Pride...

Secret Army Oi! Band..

Apit - 81468723

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would advise you against doing it yourself..Based from the questions you're askin..I'm gonna assume that you've no experience whatsoever on spray painting stuff/items..But the staisfaction you get after all the trouble is really worth it painting yourself..Provided you're good with spray paint..My advise is to get some practice before actually doing it on your fairings or helmets..Otherwise get a shop to do it for you..But its your choice..

09/07/2009 - Passed 2B TP (10th attempt)

I have tried to see things from your point of view..But no matter how hard I try..Or what I do..I just can't get my head that far up my butt..

Originally posted by Amsterdam_Virus@Sep 28 2006, 07:29 PM

tats y i post tis questions to u bros out there as i wanna practice it 1st..but i donnoe the procedure,items n tactnics to go bout doing it..

hoping any1 out there noes??

Pretty hard to put it in words..Best is to look at someone spray painting something..The only advise I can give you is..Many thin coats is better than 1 thick coat..:goodluck:

I have tried to see things from your point of view..But no matter how hard I try..Or what I do..I just can't get my head that far up my butt..

this might seem odd but if you wanna pratice on helmets, get a real cheap one at cash converters ard $4-$5 and practice away! make sure to sand really well to get rid of all unwanted dirt and laquer, then evenly spray back and forth do 1 coat, leave it to dry on a sunny day apply another coat ard 3 coats altogether,

A pound of knowledge is worth an ounce of love:thumb:

http://photos-135.friendster.com/e1/photos/53/10/12140135/1_977315964l.jpg

Speeding does'nt kill, stopping suddenly is what kills

oh ok..must sand with sand paper till very smooth n not having any dirt n laquer..then spray the prime colour coating first or juz spray away with the desired colour coating tat i wan on the helmet?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/dennisloh/DSC00124.jpg

Oceans of Beer,Mountains of Pride...

Secret Army Oi! Band..

Apit - 81468723

better spray a base coat first... but since its just for practice u can try spraying base coat or not spraying at all... trial and error my friend...... the best way to pratice

when you sand the helmet or fairing... tilt it at a slight angle to see weather u still need to sand some more or not.. it should be smooth without any bumps then clean it with soapy water.... to make sure there is nomore dirt....

Originally posted by Amsterdam_Virus@Oct 1 2006, 08:01 AM

hmm ok..i get it..but tat colour is the base colour?

izzit white?

Any colour will do..If you want can use primer..But primer takes a long time to really dry and I do mean really really dry..

• 1 month later...

i have done b4 ... but pics all gone in the cpu breakdown....

click my pictures storeroom for some of the pics i have save .....

under ... yup ..... nsr sp150cc

Past to present rides

Honda nsr sp 150 pro arm

Honda super4 ver s - yamaha rxz 135

Honda cbr 600 rr

Suzuki hayabusa 1300 - yamaha cygnus 125 - yamaha lc135 spark

Aprilia sr max 300 I.e

http://p1.bikepics.com/2013/10/22/bikepics-2608839-full.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Dear all.. Was wondering how you all actually sand properly ?

Do u all add soap while sanding ?

I add water..

Secondly for manual sanding it seems quite impossible to sand the whole fairing (very much patience needed) plus tiring. Do you all use the electric sander ??

Or is there any workshop who will charge for asking them to sand for us ?

sorry for being so loh soh!

hi for sanding its best to use soapy water work from coarse to fine..meaning start ard 600grit work to ard 1200grit depending on the condition of the items.

no electric sanding becos electricity and water are not friendly together :D anyway there are other sander that run on air.....but its not advisable becos you are afriad you will 'overcut' the suface...if so you will add another stage call puttying/filling. so that basically is defeating the pupose of time saving.

sanding is like that...you are saving $ thats why you diy..and diy need alot of patience....if you got no time then no choice you have to buy time..meaning you pay ppl to do it.

if you bring the fairings to a workshop tell them to sand for you only for a minimal fee...chances are they will ignore you....but who knows you might get lucky...good luck anyway.

hope it helps.

Originally posted by teng_fred@Nov 27 2006, 08:11 PM

Just my 2 cents worth... Please be careful if u r spraying at void deck. I think it's an offence to do it at void deck.

i think as long as ventilated area its fine..of course not infront of other ppls house....if its an offence they shouldn't be selling spray cans in the 1st place..industrial 2K then is against the law.

generally shouldn't be a prob cos i spray my ENTIRE van in a hdb carpark with spraycans. :faint:

WOohooo cool.. mr forum user.

I just sand my fender.. with 1 kind of rough sandpaper with water only.. LOL still a very very beginner at it..

Don't mind me asking again.. whats 600grit and 1200grit ? then how to proportional the soapy water ? Do you use normal soap bar or do u use wad kinda liquid soap ?

Hope you do enlighten..~

I don't know if I am sanding it right or not, cos i took about 1hr plus to send the fender of a honda NSR150SP from green to black -.-

which is like quite tough.. hahaha

Thanks and CHHEEERS~!

the grit is the coarseness of the sand paper normally indicated on the other side of the paper........so it come in various grades...the higher the smoother.

any kind of soap will do as long as it reduces friction while sanding, proportion wise self-estimate but no foam party please. i would say juz slightly soapy.

the purpose to sand is to smoothen surface...so normally NORMALLY its fine after sanding off the clear coat layer theres is no need to sand to the base color.

if you have a deep scratch DON'T attempt to sand it off..sand slightly and fill with automotive putty.

to ensure the surface to tight and smooth....after considerable sanding dry and clean the surface, shoot some standards grey primer to spot uneven spots or imperfections..then sand again..shoot again..till you get fair results.

so more work to go. good luck.