SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

250CC bikes in 2A category.

xXxRatedxXx

That's what I don't understand about 250cc bikes, at least in Singapore. Yes there is obviously a market for fuel efficient and cheap bikes - but that market is already very well covered by the very wide range of 2B bikes! With 2A licence, who will want the extra 50cc? Phantom has 17 PS, YBR 250 has 21 PS - how much difference will that make?

Those who want budget commuter will go for CBF150, Phantom, YBR125, Pulsar, and so on.

Those who want more powerful commuter will go for S4. The in between market in Singapore must be very small.

In other countries with different licence system it is understandable, then 250cc bikes are good beginner bikes, where they might need to hit ~120 without too much struggle. (YBR250 top speed is about 136)

but then again, a 250cc bike is cheaper to maintain than a 400cc bike. let's compare a 4 stroke kawa 250 and a 4 stroke super 4. kawa 250 only uses 2l of EO and 1 spark plug while super uses 4l of EO and 4 spark plug. kawa 250's top speed is 155km/hr and super 4's top speed is 185km/hr, big difference but redundant on singapore roads. and kawa ninja's FC will beat super 4 anytime! but the most significant part is the fact that the abundance of aftermarket parts for super 4 will always be the deciding factor. and come on la! singapore's mindset will always be class 2a, up to 400cc so if you have class 2a must maximise all the way.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess i'm part of that 'uncle' 250cc gang then? :D

The only situation where that 1352cc machine is better than the 250cc scooter in Singapore is in the wee hours in the morning, on empty expressways. Even then gotta keep the eyes peeled for white ghosts.

Choosing between struggling to reach 90km/h or struggling to keep below 90km/h, the choice is simple. :thumb:

EXACTLY!! and btw, which 250cc bike are you riding right now? and come to think of it, i will take a ktm 250 2 stroker over the new ktm 400 4 stroker anytime!!

i'm on a NSR250 and i feel it is already overkill for sg roads,

where drivers hog everywhere, first lane, corners, ect.

wonder if riding class2 sportbike will be much more depressing.

HAhahha Their engine temperature will shoot sky high in sg road... frequent start stop motion.... no wind to blow engine... sat my friend gixxer went to jln besar ah boy's.... reach there his engine going to overheat already... :cheeky:

HAhahha Their engine temperature will shoot sky high in sg road... frequent start stop motion.... no wind to blow engine... sat my friend gixxer went to jln besar ah boy's.... reach there his engine going to overheat already... :cheeky:

i'll stay away then..

plus they're totally unneccesary.. haha

anyway 250 tyres quite cheap.. good ones between $200-$400 per pair

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4931040347_0bda87b07d_b.jpg

No la i was sitting at a kopitiam one day.... and i had an epiphany....

If we're talking abt how 250 is budget here and there.... basket might as well continue riding 2B bike.... no need think so much already.... :sian:

2B 2 stroker still quite alrite. But 2B 4 stroker dam bad... Vibration can kill at >120.

So maybe if we can be like malaysia, class 2B till 250CC and class 2A till 600CC. then song ah!!!!!!!

Class 2B ride hornet...

Class 2A ride R6...

Class 2 : Who needs class 2? :shy:

"A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!"

— Thomas Jefferson

:eek: :eek:

If we're talking abt how 250 is budget here and there.... basket might as well continue riding 2B bike.... no need think so much already.... :sian:

but then again, some of us are complaining about the lack of power in class 2b bikes. and even in motogp, the kids are the ones that are riding in the 125cc series.

2B 2 stroker still quite alrite. But 2B 4 stroker dam bad... Vibration can kill at >120.

So maybe if we can be like malaysia, class 2B till 250CC and class 2A till 600CC. then song ah!!!!!!!

Class 2B ride hornet...

Class 2A ride R6...

Class 2 : Who needs class 2? :shy:

dun think so bro, have u ridden zxr250? it's quite fast n smooth.

its inline 4 engine.

maybe vibration if single cylinder engine.

i like the classes the way it is.. yeah who needs class 2! hehe

its becoz if the same stroke (2t/4t), 250 wud have more power than 125/150..

and yet not that much expensive.

but then again, some of us are complaining about the lack of power in class 2b bikes. and even in motogp, the kids are the ones that are riding in the 125cc series.

yah thats the reason i trade away my 150, because i feel like old person riding kids bike.. hehe

in the 125cc GP, many kids dun have road licence and not even legal age yet.

though their bikes can go 200km/h and above

Actually, if you modify the right places on a 2B bike, it might go faster than a stock 2A 250cc bike.

It's not 2B or 2A or 2 - it's more on how much you want to spend on your bike :)

Actually, if you modify the right places on a 2B bike, it might go faster than a stock 2A 250cc bike.

It's not 2B or 2A or 2 - it's more on how much you want to spend on your bike :)

ok wat about i modify the right places for 250cc bike? hehe..

not many people want to go fast all the time.

comparatively bigger bike more relaxing and better spread of power.

unless everything you want to tune for maximum speed.

haha.. why not? everytime must go maximum cc one meh?

sg so small..

if 250 cheaper everything n better fuel consumption than 400,

yet more power and torque than 2b 4strokes, why not?

n why dun talk about 2 strokes.. two strokes also got 250cc wat.. hehe

n the phased out soon 250cc GP bikes weights 100kg n can go 270km/h..

to kaiq,

Bro try a full modded PGM 4 or 3 then maybe u can feedback me how much difference is a 2stroke 250cc....

wah....so happening ar. kk i come join in.

if a 2B bike modded on the right places can outrun a 250cc bike, dan i would realli wish to see that on the road. coz up till now i NEVA EVER bump into any 2B bikes that can outrun a 250cc bikes... :cheeky:

is it a muz tt every classes of the bikes tt ppl got muz go for the max cc? be it whether is it 250 or 400 each got its own pros n cons n its up to individual what is their preference n wat r they goin for. if dun wanna tok abt 2 strokers dan dun post any comments on a 2 stroker thread...haix...nowadays ppl like to always compare apple n orange...haix...

Edited by NSR2000

Have you ever wonder modding the engine (be creative lah...)? We are not talking whether legal or not what:P

I'm riding a VTR250. A few bikes I noticed can have faster pick up than mine (but not always too case), even though mine's a V-twin - Gilera Runner, Y125Z, RXK, scrambler. Sometimes I've to tell myself - 250cc is just 50cc more than 200cc, so dun expect too much.

I dun think any 2B bike can faster than a stock NSR250 though, given it's already a 2-stroke 250cc in the first place.

Btw, I'm pretty sure I mentioned "stock" 2A in my previous post...

moddin the engine!? on a 2B bike!? u muz be joking men, y going for moto GP race? one time race n tt is end of the story? dun make me laugh.

even its a stock 250cc bike it can still outrun a 2B bike(modded on right places) if not ppl get 250cc for wat? no point at all might as well juz scrap the 250cc category.

anyway we nt comparing wif our own bikes juz tt we discussing the topic on engine cc.

I did said "it's more on how much you want to spend on your bike" right? I do believe these ppl exist even in sg though, given there is a kup race track in Jurong.

Alamak, how about a CB250 vs an Aprilla 125? There are many types of 250cc bikes, remember?

yeah true la. 2 stroke and 4 stroke totally have different pros and cons. and the number of ccs cannot be used as a measurement between these 2 types of engine. and you can mod them however you like, but a heavily modded 2b bike won't last as long as a stock 2a bike. remember that the bike is stock for one very good reason. it's there because of the right balance. unless the bike's power has been restricted due to regulations such as rs125 and husqvarna sm125, then that's a different story la.

anyway, a good man once told me, if you ride a small bike and you want more power, just buy a bigger bike. and if you still not happy with the power, get a bigger bike. why bother modding your bike when you're compromising on the safety? what makes you think that you're better than the mechanics that built this machine? they have the proper qualifications and are paid more than you to make this bike. if you think you're better, why don't the bike company just hire you instead to make the bike for them?

all i can speculate on the modding scene is that shops encourage ppl to mod their bike for better power so that later on, they can earn more when these people comes back for repair. double income!

Totally agree with you. :cheeky:

yeah true la. 2 stroke and 4 stroke totally have different pros and cons. and the number of ccs cannot be used as a measurement between these 2 types of engine. and you can mod them however you like, but a heavily modded 2b bike won't last as long as a stock 2a bike. remember that the bike is stock for one very good reason. it's there because of the right balance. unless the bike's power has been restricted due to regulations such as rs125 and husqvarna sm125, then that's a different story la.

anyway, a good man once told me, if you ride a small bike and you want more power, just buy a bigger bike. and if you still not happy with the power, get a bigger bike. why bother modding your bike when you're compromising on the safety? what makes you think that you're better than the mechanics that built this machine? they have the proper qualifications and are paid more than you to make this bike. if you think you're better, why don't the bike company just hire you instead to make the bike for them?

all i can speculate on the modding scene is that shops encourage ppl to mod their bike for better power so that later on, they can earn more when these people comes back for repair. double income!

dun agree with the above.. when the bike companies make bikes, they have to compromise between wear and tear, performance, budget, selling price, target audience, legal issues, brand image, future planning, ect.

one example ducati 1098 have 1098, 1098s & 1098r. same cc but different performance.

if you want to mod a bike properly, u will also take into consideration the aspects of safety.

good mechs will give good advice including the wear and tear part.

sometimes bikes have a lot of potentials than what the factories present, thats why people like to modify and personalize instead of changing bike everytime they feel something is lacking, and everytime change bike just to find the one "perfect bike".

some people just narrow their minds to think that only bike companies can make good bikes, only OEM parts can be good.

what they think other individuals or companies must be more stupid thats why they're not working at Honda, Yamaha, ect?

do they think every single thing in a Honda bike is manufactured by Honda?

Instead that some things are actually manufactured by another company, yet Honda put their "branding"/packaging, raise the price to sell as OEM parts?

think about it people..

and yes, 250cc have its own specialities.