SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Product Review]My gear has arrived! Motoport Jacket, pants and gloves!

You haven't got your licence and you are splashing your cash on riding gear? U must be loaded, man!:rolleyes:

Most of us will use that cash to pay for bike first. But i like the made-to-measure and the reflective strips:thumb:. Most of the other brands only have a bit of reflective here and there which i think is not adequate.

haha...no, i am not loaded by any means. but safety is really my concern. i budgetted 5k for my riding. close to 1k went to the license. another 2k for my bike (which i already purchased). the other 2k+ for gear. i think at the end of the day we have to decide what is more important. for me, having fun while being safe is important. so i get the best safety gear i can, and then the best bike i can afford after that. would love something newer (for a bike) but that can wait till later. still, the one i got is a really priceless find :-)

http://simonnunis.smugmug.com/photos/684724736_fuDoa-M-1.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very big mistake. Your budget should include bike, necessary part changes as well as basic safety gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, shoes). $2K for a properly outfitted safety gear is nothing compared to the grief I save myself from without them.

For custom made gear the price is actually very reasonable.

you took the words right out of my mouth :-)

This is a very big mistake. Your budget should include bike, necessary part changes as well as basic safety gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, shoes). $2K for a properly outfitted safety gear is nothing compared to the grief I save myself from without them.

For custom made gear the price is actually very reasonable.

no la sis, some riders are young when they started riding. where to fork out such money? Plus riding centres definitely does not encourage to a great extent abt safety gears, so most riders when they get their license have no idea what is "Safety".

I feel that everyone has their own budget with respect to safety gears. 2k might be reasonable to some, but maybe not to others.

If we keep harping on "Wah! 2k only, so cheap!" then we might, in actual fact, be deterring others to consider safety gear.

Imo, some safety gear better than no safety gear - definitely beats riding in slippers, singlet and shorts!

So for those who feel that 2k is a lot and u dun haf that kinda vit M yet, fret not, u can get cheaper alternatives. probably $200 can get mesh jacket, full face and gloves.

I got my safety set for $210 - $140 flip up, $50 mesh jacket with soft armor, $30 good 2nd hand gloves.

It helps not to fly at 200km/hr, if u noe what i mean. :thumb:

:thumb: for safety! :smile:

Be Safe & Wreckless

Sin Ming Editor 1 day jail, $2k fine for pillion death!

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5326937&posted=1#post5326937

we all have to decide what is important to us when it comes to riding. even when we all agree that riding safe is important, even when we all agree that having effective gear is important, each of us will have a different idea of what is effective enough and what is extravagance. i was prepared to ride with the first jacket i tried (a simple and economical komine one) until i read about abrasion and tear strengths. i was prepared to then ride with a much thicker (and less economical) rs taichi jacket until i read about pu coating and its effects on a bad fall. but not everyone will agree to some of these articles. and even when we do agree, not everyone believes they will encounter such a fall.

i think the most important thing is to decide on our own priorities and act upon them within our own affordability envelopes. stay true to your principles and you will enjoy your rides more!

we all have to decide what is important to us when it comes to riding. even when we all agree that riding safe is important, even when we all agree that having effective gear is important, each of us will have a different idea of what is effective enough and what is extravagance. i was prepared to ride with the first jacket i tried (a simple and economical komine one) until i read about abrasion and tear strengths. i was prepared to then ride with a much thicker (and less economical) rs taichi jacket until i read about pu coating and its effects on a bad fall. but not everyone will agree to some of these articles. and even when we do agree, not everyone believes they will encounter such a fall.

i think the most important thing is to decide on our own priorities and act upon them within our own affordability envelopes. stay true to your principles and you will enjoy your rides more!

Agree on the cost, buy the best you can afford. I have to admit have bought more than a few jackets and especially helmets. IF it doesnt fit or is too hot, then we wont wear them no matter how much we spent. I am wearing a Joe Rocket mesh, the most airy jacket I have found, but mixed reviews as to safety. But as its cooler, I wear it more so thats the selling point for me.

Now trying to find some decent pants. Have the Draggin jeans, but really are too heavy. Do you mesh pants feel heavy on top of your regular pants or can you wear shorts/bermudas under them?

Agree on the cost, buy the best you can afford. I have to admit have bought more than a few jackets and especially helmets. IF it doesnt fit or is too hot, then we wont wear them no matter how much we spent. I am wearing a Joe Rocket mesh, the most airy jacket I have found, but mixed reviews as to safety. But as its cooler, I wear it more so thats the selling point for me.

Now trying to find some decent pants. Have the Draggin jeans, but really are too heavy. Do you mesh pants feel heavy on top of your regular pants or can you wear shorts/bermudas under them?

the pants feel no heavier than the komine ones i tried in the shops...and this is with the rain liner installed. inside, you can wear regular jeans, pants or shorts...or just undearwear :-)

i haven't worn it on a bike though so i can't tell you how it feels on one at the moment. you can check out the reviews of their gear at webbikeworld.com where the police pants are reviewed. its very similar.

no la sis, some riders are young when they started riding. where to fork out such money? Plus riding centres definitely does not encourage to a great extent abt safety gears, so most riders when they get their license have no idea what is "Safety".

I feel that everyone has their own budget with respect to safety gears. 2k might be reasonable to some, but maybe not to others.

What I meant was that when you do your budget calculations, you have to set aside money for safety gear as well. Therefore, if your budget is $5K, you must include in that budget your expected expenditure for helmet, gloves, jacket etc.

From what I observe many just use the $5K strictly for machine. They don't even consider part changes or repairs that may be necessary to make your bike a safer one! (e.g. tyres, brake lines).

When I got my bike I budgeted $5K - $3.5K for bike and $1.5K for repairs and parts. And indeed it turned out I had to spend that much money because of the condition of the bike. I could have gotten a Spec 2 with my $5K budget and don't do repairs, but would that make the bike safe?

As for $2K for Motoport, the product is really damn worth the money considering:

1) It is custom-made (very important as there is very little safety gear available for females here);

2) It has a lot of kevlar which is damn expensive;

3) It has pretty good armour;

4) It is durable based on experience from past users who have had their suits for up to 10 years;

5) It does save users from serious injuries.

Well that's for me. I'm currently a bit lazy about ordering this because need to take a lot of measurements. I'm still using my ratty RS Taichi jacket. And it's pretty cheap so there's no excuse about not being affordable. It is not the best but it's better than nothing.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/382836949_9f10369d74.jpg

What I meant was that when you do your budget calculations, you have to set aside money for safety gear as well. Therefore, if your budget is $5K, you must include in that budget your expected expenditure for helmet, gloves, jacket etc.

From what I observe many just use the $5K strictly for machine. They don't even consider part changes or repairs that may be necessary to make your bike a safer one! (e.g. tyres, brake lines).

When I got my bike I budgeted $5K - $3.5K for bike and $1.5K for repairs and parts. And indeed it turned out I had to spend that much money because of the condition of the bike. I could have gotten a Spec 2 with my $5K budget and don't do repairs, but would that make the bike safe?

As for $2K for Motoport, the product is really damn worth the money considering:

1) It is custom-made (very important as there is very little safety gear available for females here);

4) It is durable based on experience from past users who have had their suits for up to 10 years;

Well that's for me. I'm currently a bit lazy about ordering this because need to take a lot of measurements. I'm still using my ratty RS Taichi jacket. And it's pretty cheap so there's no excuse about not being affordable. It is not the best but it's better than nothing.

could be a good biz opptr to be a Motoport distributor here...

Grounded... :/

All I can say about the Draggin Jeans is it makes my butt looks damn wide! :cry:

LOL, and they size them very big. I ordered them online based on my inseam, and they came about 2 sizes too large. No point in trying to send back for a refund. Maybe I will grow into them...

Just wondering, Simon.

Did you make a trip to local retailers (JR/Dainese, Chong Aik, Chiap Lee, Motoworld, etc) to try out the off-the-shelf gear before you made your online purchase?

Assuming that you're normal sized, you should have been able to get your gear from the shop and perhaps cheaper.

Anyway, looks nice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/DeusXMachina/Lean2a.jpg

i totally agree on that. :smile:like i said, most riders pass tp liao dung even noe what is "safety". Look at how many of them do wear safety gears while learning - need getting used to anyway.

Dun say $500, $50 more for safety also they'll "Huh?! U mean i need to pay $50 more?!?!?!...":faint:

if driving centres dun make it compulsory for riders to wear shoes and long sleeve shirt, heck i think a lot will juz appear in singlets and slippers. :faint:

So perhaps centres shd advocate safety gear more. More ppl buy = price may come down. MAY... :faint: :lol:

LOL, and they size them very big. I ordered them online based on my inseam, and they came about 2 sizes too large. No point in trying to send back for a refund. Maybe I will grow into them...

:faint::lol::faint:

Be Safe & Wreckless

Sin Ming Editor 1 day jail, $2k fine for pillion death!

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5326937&posted=1#post5326937

Just wondering, Simon.

Did you make a trip to local retailers (JR/Dainese, Chong Aik, Chiap Lee, Motoworld, etc) to try out the off-the-shelf gear before you made your online purchase?

Assuming that you're normal sized, you should have been able to get your gear from the shop and perhaps cheaper.

Anyway, looks nice.

yes, i did make many trips down to different places to try on what is available locally. here's what i tried.

1. komine, rs taichi and spidi jackets at motoworld at kaki bukit. i really liked the komine light mesh in red, and the rs taichi full armour jacket. unfortunately, both were not waterproof and had pu coating on the inside. the spidi jacket was too big and the armour was shifting about. of the lot the rs taichi was the nicest.

2. dainese at jr in kaki bukit. was very expensive and the designs were not much better than the motoport ones. so i decided if i was going to spend the money i might as well get one that i believed in more.

3. komine & rs taichi jackets and pants at motoworld at lavender. you can tell i really liked these and was ready to purchase on the spot if i could find pants to go with them. at this point in time i've read a lot about protection and how after the head, the chest and the thighs have high injury potential. unfortunately, the pants were either too tight at the waist, or too long. i was very disappointed that day.

4. motoair air bag jackets at the local distributor somewhere in woodlands (turned out to be a furniture/interior contractor shop with what looks like a small sideline doing jackets). i liked one of the models (black and red). but it was very heavy. pu coated. very expensive. and the girl there refused to let me try size M because it was "too far away to go and get". she only had size L in the little conference room there. she wasn't too knowledgeable about the product either. apparently the boss was away. i found this irritating as i made an appointment days earlier so there is really no excuse.

that was the last one i tried. i wasn't really interested in the other brands as they are more of the same in my eyes after reading about them on the various websites. most jackets/pants are made similar. on top of that, i liked what i read about the motoport gear. so i decided to give Wayne a call and ordered it there and then.

my order turned out to cost less than what i expected though...which is a good thing. and shipping/insurance/tax wasn't a big cost item either (as you can see in my post). so i'm glad i got this.

Hmm... well tough luck I guess. At least you tried.

I gave up trying to get a single brand for my gear. As it is, I use a Dainese leather jacket up top, and some unheard of brand cordura pants.

I prefer leather tops as they give the best abrasion protection, but they are damned hot when you're stopped over in the day. I can live with the jacket, as I can just take it off at the stops.

Can't do that with the pants... :p

this is exactly the reason why i decided on motoport gear...

http://singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247735

Yeah, well. Most bikers in SG have probably been there and done that, though maybe not as bad as her. After all, it's hot in SG and we don't really gear up beyond putting on the helmet and gloves for our daily commute.

I've had some of that road rash before. Luckily though, my nipples are still in place. :D

Some of the gear can order online for better. My partner is a fan of Dainese and he buys them from ebay. Same as his jeans (Icon and other assorted brands).

That Dainese shop at Kaki Bukit is really tooooooo expensive.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/382836949_9f10369d74.jpg

One thing abt Dainese. Some of their stuff, esp the older models, have suspect build quality. The seams come apart after awhile. Not all of their models though, just some.

But I can tell you that in terms of comfort, they're almost the best there is.

Prob the reason why my GF is using a Dainese jacket, tour pants and back protector.

Not to mention a >$200 kangaroo skin racing glove, and a good pair of Gaerne riding boots.

Like I said, my pillion has better gear than me. :p

yeah its too hot and humid in sg to be wearing full gear all the time. Gloves, shoes, fullface and the trusty ball gaurd. It is never too hot to wear a ball gaurd. TS, have u gotten ur license yet? Pls give a rider comfort review of your recent purchases in our environmental context~

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/lego-cycle-helmet.jpg this is not me! :cheeky:

woohoo.. finally i have a Motoport bro! Will be sending back my Air Mesh Kevlar jacket back next month to alter like the Marathon Jacket!The gloves look great, but heard my complains of the fit from other users online. Currently using Held Steve, but will be planning to get Helimot F-108

For those never read my thread before, some of the reason why i choose Motoport: http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200568

A more indepth thread: http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184407

Why i changed to Motoport after using Joe Rocket, Rev'it, Olympia, etc.. http://motoport.com/save-your-hide

Readup on Motoport's Quad armor: http://motoport.com/QuadArmor2

Why Motoport Kevlar?: http://motoport.com/kev-apparel

No regrets, money well spent. Only thing Air Mesh Kevlar with Quad Armor very bulky! If want something compact should take a look at their Air Mesh Kevlar Police Jacket it has more stretched kevlar so its less bulky

Edited by cyben76
http://www.speedtest.net/result/855609689.png