SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Coolant Related - General Enquiry

raven77

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ivant@Jun 21 2006, 04:21 PM

Should be thermostat. You can remove it, just that the engine takes longer to warm up without it.

Since you encounter rust in your system, i suggest flushing again just to be safe. A single flush sometimes is not enough to fully remove the rust particles. i encountered a bike that constantly overheats and has coolant spurting out thru the overflow pipe. Turns out it had a badly rusted cooling system. It was so bad that 1-2 weeks after the first flush, the impeller got clogged with rust particles again. The 2nd flush cleared that up.

Hi,

You mentioned abt rust in the system.. I have the same problem wif my bike wen I did coolant flush the first time.. Did DIY at my thrusty motordiam ( Wana to learn & pick up skill! ).. wash down the system till clear. mech just charge for coolant fluid only..

Now coming to 2 months since last flush.. checked my reserve tank, got some rust residue.. lucky no choke happen & radiator fan in good condition..

I am planning to do anoter round of coolant flush.. Wan 2 ask if u gt any good tips during coolant flush.. eg: Wat cleaning agent best to remove as much rust from the system... btw, wat coolant ru using?

:cheeky:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii175/yancurly8/SIGNATURE2.jpg

Take a careful look at your coolant pump.

When I initially got my vtec1, it has the same problem. Coolant dried up in 1 month's time, then bike overheat. Went for a flush and bleed but problem still persist. Then 1 day happen to drop something beneath my bike and accidentally noticed leakage at the pump. The leak wasnt very visible unless u take a careful look - the hot coolant evaporates rapidly right after leaking but can see some traces of liquid near the seal there.

Mechanic mentioned its a rather common problem for superfour esp. vtec1 and earlier version. Changed my pump and the problem's solved. Had been 3 months and the coolant level still maintained w/o topping up.

You might wanna do a check on the pump, preferably after riding. If you do not know, it's located on the left side below the engine block, near the front sprocket plastic guard. There's a cylindrical piece with large tubes attached to it. :smile:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1055/527481558_8975eefe29_m.jpg

Dec00 - Aug03 : Honda Phantom TA150

Aug03 - Feb06 : Honda CBR400RR L-model

Oct03 - Mar04 : Honda NC35 RVF400RR

Feb06 - Oct06 : Honda CB400 HyperVtec

Oct06 - Sep07 : Honda NC35 RVF400RS

Sep07 - Now : Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 T.Spark

yancurly8,

First, i would suggest staying away from radiator flush which are meant for cars. These commerical radiator flush might be too strong. Especially since bike radiators are almost always made of aluminium. Many bikers suggest using a 50:50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and distilled water instead. I have had good results with it. Coolant wise, I use redline waterwetter. When mixed with distilled water, waterwetter helps remove some deposits in the cooling system also. Below are the steps which i take to flush the cooling system. See if u find it useful.

After you drain the old coolant out(from radiator and the reserve tank), run water thru the system to clear it of any remaining debris. When the water draining out has cleared, tighten the drain bolt and fill up with 50:50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and distilled water. start the engine. Main thing is to warm the bike up to operating temp and wait awhile more with the vinegar/distilled water inside the system. After which, drain the cooling system again after the bike has cooled. Run water thru the system again. This time run the water longer to get rid of all the vinegar. Now is the time you fill up the radiator with your favourite coolant. You wan to fully fill the radiator neck. Next, "burp" the system by snapping the throttle a couple and topping up when the level drops. Finally, when all air has been purged, cap up and u r good to go.

Originally posted by ad1da5@Jun 21 2006, 09:16 PM

Take a careful look at your coolant pump.

When I initially got my vtec1, it has the same problem. Coolant dried up in 1 month's time, then bike overheat. Went for a flush and bleed but problem still persist. Then 1 day happen to drop something beneath my bike and accidentally noticed leakage at the pump. The leak wasnt very visible unless u take a careful look - the hot coolant evaporates rapidly right after leaking but can see some traces of liquid near the seal there.

Mechanic mentioned its a rather common problem for superfour esp. vtec1 and earlier version. Changed my pump and the problem's solved. Had been 3 months and the coolant level still maintained w/o topping up.

You might wanna do a check on the pump, preferably after riding. If you do not know, it's located on the left side below the engine block, near the front sprocket plastic guard. There's a cylindrical piece with large tubes attached to it. :smile:

got any pictures to share

pretty please!

For you O Lord, will bless the righteous; with favor You shall surround him as with a shield. Psalm 5:12

Sorry threadstarter, borrow ur thread.

I been riding my vtecII for 1 and a half year already and nv flush coolant b4. And notice the coolant level seem the same always. My fan is working. May i know when it's needed to change coolant ar?

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4260/dsc00054rn2.jpg

Above Kawasaki Z1000 Sporty StreetFighter for Sale!

Pm me for more info. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Just wondering is the coolant located at the the centre right side of the seat?Must use allen key to open the rite side cover one is it?

Left side is all the fuse and rite side is the coolant, am i rite to say that?

And by the way, last time i ride sp, top up coolant i only use normal tap water and topping up for sp is about 2- 3 mths but this s4 coolant can tahan very long like tat leh, think more than 3 mth the level still about the same, why ah?? Can i also use tap water to fill up also just like my honda nsr sp ?

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n62/anric79/5073085f-2c95-4b2c-937d-c905dcca4fdb.jpg

quisilver,y ur one so complicated one ?

BTW mine is spec3 are u referring to spec3?

I just use allen key open the centre seat right side cover and i see the green liquid liao, is that coolant?

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n62/anric79/5073085f-2c95-4b2c-937d-c905dcca4fdb.jpg

Originally posted by anric79@Oct 16 2006, 01:15 PM

quisilver,y ur one so complicated one ?

BTW mine is spec3 are u referring to spec3?

I just use allen key open the centre seat right side cover and i see the green liquid liao, is that coolant?

let me give u a more direct answer.

yes the one that u open is correct. the green liquid in the white container that is the coolant :smile:

Guest quizesilver

haha

so u wan the reserve reservoir??

ya it is on the right side, can open using the allen key.

i thought u wan to access the main one, which is under the tank.

apologies

And by the way, last time i ride sp, top up coolant i only use normal tap water and topping up for sp is about 2- 3 mths but this s4 coolant can tahan very long like tat leh, think more than 3 mth the level still about the same, why ah?? Can i also use tap water to fill up also just like my honda nsr sp ?

When u all guys rougly top up coolant , u all add water or go petrol kiosk buy coolant to top up ah?

Guest quizesilver

recommend to replace/ top up with distilled water (avaliable at all 7-11/ntuc) as there are lesser mineral thus will not cause ur raadiator to rust so fast.

there are a few coolant avaliable. such as maxima cool aid, or red line water wetter. or others.

using water wetter. not bad imo.

i was wondering our coolant can last how long if everyday ride ...

when finished u all top up at the reserve coolant tank or the main coolant tank, i heard there is another tank for coolant one..

any1 noe which coolant is the best? is it cheap to change the coolant pluz the radiator cap... cuz mie engine beri fast feel hot nowadaes

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift

2001 phantom 200

2003 super4 Hyper vtec 1

2004 Nsr150 sp

2005 Blackbird Cbrxxx

2006 Super4 vtec 1

2008 R6

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4690/bpiz351ws1.jpg http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2481/1572016784ltl1.jpg

• 5 months later...
Guest simpleme
Originally posted by AhBenn@April 05, 2007 08:59 pm

Flushing done recently, but noticed that after travelling for abt 30km, coolant started to dripping from the overflow tube.

Any riders here having this problem? Advised really needed here! :help: Thanks

hi,

not too sure if i can advise you.

it could be the radiator cap spolit. as the the "release valve for the cap is unable to let go of the pressure build up thus the coolant and overflowing out for the tube.

should not be costly to change the cap.

good luck.

1) maybe the radiotor cap spoil already..

2) whack your bike when idling and see ure fan activate upon high temp

3) If your bike spec 1 & below u might wanna change your thermostat

4) same goes to no (3 . waterpump)

all this can result of preasure build up and overflowing out of any tube..

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs160.snc1/5969_132325762781_632277781_3118071_4563982_n.jpg

one more possibility bro, ur rear reservoir for coolant might have been overfilled during the recent coolant flush ....so when it's hot or near boiling, it will jus flow out from the tube bro ...jus do a check or rather , go backto the bike shop that did the flushing for you....

if there's anithing to change, first thing i guess you should change the radiator cap cos it contains the pressure and releases extra built up ...:goodluck:

color=red]For our sins.........................HooAH[/color]

as most said, it may just be a case of overfilling. shouldn't be a problem. i used to top up my coolant n this happened. just monitor for a few days, if the problems persist, then go bk to the place where u did it to have it check out. :smile:

Sep 2001 - Jan 2003 WR200

Jan 2003 - Feb 2005 S4 spec 1

Feb 2005 - Apr 2006 FZ6

Apr 2006 - May 2006 Vios & FZ6

May2006 - Jan 2007 Vios

Jan 2007 - ???????? Vios & S4 spec 1

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p167/senate747/CIMG6396.jpg