SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Guys: sports bike riding posture and comfort

scubasimon

hi guys who ride sports bikes. i recently got myself a sports bike. i love everything about the bike even though it only has 125cc. i love the power and the way things look. i also like the more sporty riding posture.

however, i have a real problem. i find that with all this power, changing gears and braking does subject the rider to some pressure. specifically, i tend to slide forward slightly when i change gears, or when i brake. sometimes this sliding can be quite extreme ending up a slam to the b*lls.

so my question is...how do you guys side on your sports bikes? i know we hug the tank. but do you leave space between your b*lls and the tank? what do you do when braking? changing gears? how to do you prevent yourself from sliding forward and getting that painful slam-bam on the b*lls?

maybe its time for me to invest in some additional "sacrum" armour.

http://simonnunis.smugmug.com/photos/684724736_fuDoa-M-1.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

slide forward slightly is normal but if ur slide forward slightly is equivalent to slamming of your little ones, then i guess u need to hasten during gear shift & quickly pick up speed.

another way is get used to it... u just bought ur little devil so its just a matter of time before getting used to it...

Can't post a new thread? Read HERE

SBF Garage Sales Act ---> Read HERE

slide forward slightly is normal but if ur slide forward slightly is equivalent to slamming of your little ones, then i guess u need to hasten during gear shift & quickly pick up speed.

another way is get used to it... u just bought ur little devil so its just a matter of time before getting used to it...

I agree.. Haha.. If riding alone already like that, I think u better get use to everything 1st before u pillion someone. If not later u brake, it might be a real painful experience instead of small painful knock to ur AHEM. Cheers

Yamaha X1 --> FY

Honda RVF --> FQ7***J

Yamaha R6 --> FBC 8**2U

J*sus Chr*st! you mean i gotta get used to my b*lls getting busted by the tank har? oh man...i thought maybe you guys had something you put on top of the seat so you don't slide or something.

btw, when you sit on the bike...how much space is there between your (you know what) and the tank har? for me, there's only like an inch (if at all). also, do you put your weight on your hands on the handlebars or you distribute it evenly between your hands and your butt? gotta get the posture right lah.

J*sus Chr*st! you mean i gotta get used to my b*lls getting busted by the tank har? oh man...i thought maybe you guys had something you put on top of the seat so you don't slide or something.

btw, when you sit on the bike...how much space is there between your (you know what) and the tank har? for me, there's only like an inch (if at all). also, do you put your weight on your hands on the handlebars or you distribute it evenly between your hands and your butt? gotta get the posture right lah.

i guess u gonna have problems riding very long distance e.g: riding to KL or further. your back or bola will hurt like heavens...LOL. i don really see ppl ride sportbikes for long distance riding. they are built for speed not for touring.

Class 2B - 26/03/2009

Class 2A - 01/06/2010

Class 3 - 10/07/2009

Rides(s)

1) Honda TA150 - 20/04/2009 to 31/08/2014

2) Honda CB400 Ver S - 12/07/2014 to ???

i guess u gonna have problems riding very long distance e.g: riding to KL or further. your back or bola will hurt like heavens...LOL. i don really see ppl ride sportbikes for long distance riding. they are built for speed not for touring.

an excuse to get another bike? hahaha! now you got me thinking...

Try this product called Stormgrip tank protectors.

thanks for the tip...did a search for it. the stomp grip tank pads look way cool. unfortunately, don't have a custom model for my bike so might have to do my own cutting.

do you use this product?

Leave enough space to squeeze a fist in, between your crotch and tank.

When braking, use your thighs/knees to grip the tank to prevent slippage.

Next, yes, you're in a crouch position, but try not to rest your body weight on your arms. You'll get tired after a while, and you'll probably lock your elbows leaning forward. Not a good position. Use a bit of your stomach and back muscles to keep yourself up.

Lastly.... Hey. You asked for it. You're riding a sportbike. The thing was designed to carve corners. Not much compromise for comfort. :angel:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/DeusXMachina/Lean2a.jpg

lol scub. i did warn you about the riding posture in your previous thread about looking for a new ride. curious what new bike did you get? i gave up on sports bikes for runarounds, too painful and uncomfortable. Careful of back aches and neck aches too as these would come after your ball aches. Go rewrap your seat if you want to reduce ball discomfort, eugene saddlery can customize a seat for you so that u can have a little soft space to hold your balls.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/lego-cycle-helmet.jpg this is not me! :cheeky:

hahaha! u guys are funny. yeah, i know you warned me about the posture...but you know...gotta try it at least once right? anyway. my runabout bike is still my trusty and beloved tw200 :) this one is for when i wanna use expressway...or when i wanna have something different.

so ok. think i will get those tank grips and adopt one fist distance posture. its good to exercise my abs also i suppose :)

i stayed away from the japanese bikes for this class because they all have rather thin tires. i stayed away from the korean bikes also for personal taste reasons. so i went with an italian bike :)

Erm, i seriously doubt tank protectors/pads will help much, since their main duty is to protect the tank from your belt buckle, rather than cushion your bolla.

It's more of getting used to the correct posture so that your bolla don't come into contact with the tank while u brake or change gears. Suggest you find a comfy spot to put your knees while you grip the tank, and make it a habit to keep your knees there unless you need to hang off.

"The hunter must hunt. The moment he stops he becomes the hunted.

Strive, reach, and take. Then you shall not be taken"

Riding Since:

Class 2B - 28 Apr 1994

Class 2A - 30 Jun 2009

that's what i thought too. but i saw the pictures on the website for stomp grip and think they may help because they have knobby texture that will improve my grip of the tank. right now, with my riding pants, it doesn't matter how hard i grip the tank i will still slip...and its not that i don't grip hard...its just that the material is smooth. so hopefully, with more grip, then i won't get smashed so often :)

yeah...trying to find a good place to sit and grip properly. guess it will take me awhile given i've been riding my tw200 for the last many days and gotten use to the absence of a tank!

Slippery pants... now thats something i'll go without. :lol:

In that case your best bet is to look ahead and reduce the need to brake hard. Sportsbikes tend to have better stopping power, and to apply it forcefully is always hazardous to your bloodline. Be gentle~ :D

"The hunter must hunt. The moment he stops he becomes the hunted.

Strive, reach, and take. Then you shall not be taken"

Riding Since:

Class 2B - 28 Apr 1994

Class 2A - 30 Jun 2009

Slippery pants... now thats something i'll go without. :lol:

In that case your best bet is to look ahead and reduce the need to brake hard. Sportsbikes tend to have better stopping power, and to apply it forcefully is always hazardous to your bloodline. Be gentle~ :D

hahahahahaharrr!!!

now THAT is funny and good advice :)

My partner does. Used it on his old CBR954 and I may install it on my Ducati too if the ride proves to be too uncomfortable!

whoa, always tot u were riding a S4 from your videos i watched. since it look like a S4, do u happen to ride a monster 400 or 696?

Class 2B - 26/03/2009

Class 2A - 01/06/2010

Class 3 - 10/07/2009

Rides(s)

1) Honda TA150 - 20/04/2009 to 31/08/2014

2) Honda CB400 Ver S - 12/07/2014 to ???

i rode mainly sportbikes and when i switched to a street bike (fazer), i hated the position, it made me slouch so i switched back to a 600RR only to lowside it months later (crap road and lousy tyres). i still miss riding sportbikes, the stability they offer in turns and bends is just so damned good that you forget all about the discomfort. try to straighten your back a little and grip your tank lightly with your knees, grip a little tighter when shifting and release a little after you're done.

SingaporeBikes Forum Rules & Regulations

Please use the search function if you have a question.

i rode mainly sportbikes and when i switched to a street bike (fazer), i hated the position, it made me slouch so i switched back to a 600RR only to lowside it months later (crap road and lousy tyres). i still miss riding sportbikes, the stability they offer in turns and bends is just so damned good that you forget all about the discomfort. try to straighten your back a little and grip your tank lightly with your knees, grip a little tighter when shifting and release a little after you're done.

I'm of the reverse opinion. I came off an R1 to a Fazer and liked the position better for road riding. Of course, if I were riding hard i would prefer the low clipons and crouched position.... but well, I only do that less than 10% of the time, so....

I can adapt well to most bikes, since for about 2 years at a stretch I owned a cruiser, street bike and sportbike at one go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/DeusXMachina/Lean2a.jpg