SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] Do You Wear Gear?

Guest m0nk

Do U wear gear when riding  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Do U wear gear when riding

Hi, juz wanna ask u guys.. Due to my anke being fractured b4, I intend to get some boots, shoes or something tat can protect my ankle too.. In the market, is there anything similar to the one i;ve mentioned? By the way, does the riding boots fit my description.. Pai seh coz i've nv saw a riding boots b4..

Feb 06 till Present - Phantom TA200 Custom 4

Sometimes Results may be Disappointing, but it's never Discouraging..

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all kinds of riding boots offer protection.juz depends on how much and what kind. do search around abit in the accessories forum. FYI,its better go get a waterproof riding boot..thats imho. there are brands like Spada,Alpinestars, many many more...for me i bought timberland boots. water proof and has ankle protection. nice looking too. cost price 239 dollars. hehe..if not get the brand Hi-Tec.heard from other forum peeps that quite cheap and waterproof too.

Trading Xbox 360 games. PM for any titles available for exchange.

Wah.. $239 quite exp for mi leh.. How bout I buy those safety boots? It's for workers who wear them when they r in the work site.. tat kind of safety boots considered as riding gear or not huh?

So when u go out to shopping centre, u juz wear ur riding boots along?

Originally posted by Technician III@Dec 15 2006, 01:15 PM

Wah.. $239 quite exp for mi leh.. How bout I buy those safety boots? It's for workers who wear them when they r in the work site.. tat kind of safety boots considered as riding gear or not huh?

So when u go out to shopping centre, u juz wear ur riding boots along?

DO NOT wear steel toe safety boots for riding. They are meant to be worn as work boots, not riding boots.

In the unfortunate event of an riding accident (touch wood!), your foot may be caught or bent at an awkward angle & the steel toe may just shear all your real toes off...

I am not kidding...

BlackDawn aka kiamh

"There is no man more free than the one who doesn't give a damn what society thinks of him"

I have 2 pairs of Timberlands (both around $170). The boots themselves are not too bad, comfortable & decent enough to wear casually as well... I didn't buy the Goretex version so they are not waterproof, but no problems for light showers. The only thing I feel is lacking about timberlands are the sole has somewhat poor grip on wet roads..

My Columbia grips very well on wet roads though :D

I also have a pair of SIGMA riding boots (about $80) from Chong Aik (Desker Road) Initially, they pinch your toes badly, but after they are seasoned, then its a pretty good value for $$ riding boots. Waterproof & decent looking. Only problem is, its been only a year but its cracking already & ready for replacement. No matter, still a good bargain for $80...

BlackDawn aka kiamh

"There is no man more free than the one who doesn't give a damn what society thinks of him"

Originally posted by James71@Mar 16 2004, 08:57 PM

me wearing nolan100e, alpinestars jet gloves & alpinestars airflo jacket with "armours" (in the evening). felt silly on my first day but not anymore.

haha..bro, me too, Arai Rx-7 RR4 FF, Harley Davidson full armor jacket, leather gloves, Oxstar boots. Look silly, but i feel very safe. coz cannot feel the wind blow. haha...

Honda Phantom TA200 FW (2006 --- 2007)

Ducati Monster 400 FZ (2007 --- 2008)

Aprilia Atlantic 200 FW (2007 --- 2012)

BMW R1200C FBD (2008 --- 2009)

Harley Davidson XR1200 FBD (2009 --- 2009)

MV Agusta Brutale 1078 RR FBE (2009 --- 2011)

Aprilia Caponord FW (2011 --- )

Originally posted by bluehermit@Feb 18 2006, 05:32 PM

haha, guess i'm more hardcore. i've got my full gears (rjays jacket, rjays riding pants, rjays riding boots, progrip gloves and OGk FF helmet) before I've gotten my license =]

whenever i ride, i ride with jacket, boots, FF, gloves and min jeans at all times. if rain, will wear the riding pants too =]

i live to ride and i ride to live.

may all of you be safe and well too!

wow...me too.... haha...

LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE.

This is printed on my HD t-shirt. hahaha....

Originally posted by Technician III@Dec 14 2006, 10:40 AM

Hi, juz wanna ask u guys.. Due to my anke being fractured b4, I intend to get some boots, shoes or something tat can protect my ankle too.. In the market, is there anything similar to the one i;ve mentioned? By the way, does the riding boots fit my description.. Pai seh coz i've nv saw a riding boots b4..

hey hey, i have a recommendation... i bought this Oxstar Goretex riding boots, $280. It's feels very comfortable, and value for money, full protecton racing boots. No weird colors, suitable for daliy use. and easy to wear, i can wear it or take it off by only using one hand. And it seems to be cheaper in singapore. it costs around 200 pounds in UK.

Originally posted by kiamh@Dec 15 2006, 09:20 PM

I have 2 pairs of Timberlands (both around $170). The boots themselves are not too bad, comfortable & decent enough to wear casually as well... I didn't buy the Goretex version so they are not waterproof, but no problems for light showers. The only thing I feel is lacking about timberlands are the sole has somewhat poor grip on wet roads..

My Columbia grips very well on wet roads though :D

I also have a pair of SIGMA riding boots (about $80) from Chong Aik (Desker Road) Initially, they pinch your toes badly, but after they are seasoned, then its a pretty good value for $$ riding boots. Waterproof & decent looking. Only problem is, its been only a year but its cracking already & ready for replacement. No matter, still a good bargain for $80...

Hmm.. The timberlands boots they got specific they r meant for riding ar? Wat i mean is the timberland shop got a section tat is specially for riding boots or r they juz normal looking boots..I oso dunno how to differentiate leh..

Originally posted by Technician III@Dec 16 2006, 01:51 PM

Hmm.. The timberlands boots they got specific they r meant for riding ar? Wat i mean is the timberland shop got a section tat is specially for riding boots or r they juz normal looking boots..I oso dunno how to differentiate leh..

The timberlands are normal boots, but its not bad to wear it for riding as well. For your weak ankle, I'd recommend hi-cut boots.

Seriously though, do consider proper riding boots, I believe its worth the investment even if its $200+.

BlackDawn aka kiamh

Hmm.. Tink I'll do a price check on the riding boots and hi-cut boots.. If the prices differences r not great, then I'll go for riding boots coz wat u said makes sense.. Riding boots r designed for protection during riding.. Thanks for ur info.. :cheer:

After my second accident, I wore a leather jacket almost everyday. But realised it was quite impractical because I would look as if I weathered a thunderstorm (perspiration) whenever after I reach my destination. After that I invested in a mesh 2 pcs suit.

Regardless of the ride and weather condition, I will wear at least a pair of gloves (w/ some leather padding, mesh and CF knuckles), jeans and covered shoes to ride. For more sun-glaring days, I will wear my denim jacket, if not, my cordura-mesh armoured jacket. And ofcourse my FF helmet. :)

On longer trips or speed blasts up Malaysia, I will wear full touring gear. The 2 pcs mesh armoured suit, long leather gloves and leather track boots. And also a 1 pcs leather suit for track.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

try finding at chiong aik..

the last time i went they had a very good deal for a mesh armour jacket that came with a rain coat in the pouch at the back of it.. $95 only very very cheap for a mesh armour jacket.

hard knuckle gloves for $15 only..

plus boots to go along, maybe you can drop by mustafa to go buy kings boots its about $40 or around there..

helmet if you can basic can buy MHR OF-505 at chiap lee for $50.

sunglasses if you need go any hardware shops and ask for the kings sunglasses its abt $5. i use it from my phantom till now and its good to wear and abuse..when drop also not heart pain.

so entire package about $200 for protection to wear daily.. its worth it..

http://i33.tinypic.com/2h3ok5w.jpg

King Boots? Are those safety steel toe boots?

Don't wear steel toe boots when riding, in the event of an accident, there's a possibility that the steel cap could shear off all your toes.

BlackDawn aka kiamh

• 3 weeks later...

Just like smoking is allegedly harmful to health, but millions still smoke anyway.

Its a free world.

Safety steel toe boots are not meant for riding, but is still better than weariing slippers/sandals.

BlackDawn aka kiamh

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Here's my gear setup

1) Dainese Riding Boots - bought in 2007

2) Dainese Gloves (length till wrist) - bought in 2007

3) Dainese Mesh Jacket - bought in 2008

Items in my agenda:

1) OGK FF5 Pearl White Scream Helmet

2) Dainese Riding pants (still considering)

I've been buying Dainese gear one item at a time and only when JR is having a sale annually to cut down the cost of my gears. Till now, i think the total cost of my first 3 items add up to be close to $800. If i didn't buy it during their annual sale then i think i could have easily spend more than 1k.

So i guess it's better to do research first before spending on gears, especially when the economy is so bad now.

Hope by the time i get my new 2009 white hornet 600 at end of the year, the economy will be better.

Just wondering, those who have mesh jacket, do you guys buy the half length or full length spine protector inserts? I was wondering whether it'll be very warm behind.

After browsing the previous pages of posts, i realised that no one bought any dainese gears. Seems like alphinestars is quite popular here compared to dainese. I'm a big fan of dainese items. Ha.

Dec 2003 - July 2010

Honda Phantom TA 200

July 2010 - July 2012

Honda Super Four Revo

July 2012 - Current

Honda NC700S ABS

Just wondering, those who have mesh jacket, do you guys buy the half length or full length spine protector inserts? I was wondering whether it'll be very warm behind.

I removed all the armour in my mesh jacket.

BlackDawn aka kiamh

King Boots? Are those safety steel toe boots?

Don't wear steel toe boots when riding, in the event of an accident, there's a possibility that the steel cap could shear off all your toes.

aiyo, are u talking about safety boots of cheapo brand. Think about this, safety boots toe cap can take up to one tonne of weight vs a footwear that doesnt have this feature, in the event of a car that runs over your toes, imagine which footwear gives better protection?

Just sharing my tots. :cool:

The best armor is to keep out of range...Italian Proverb

aiyo, are u talking about safety boots of cheapo brand. Think about this, safety boots toe cap can take up to one tonne of weight vs a footwear that doesnt have this feature, in the event of a car that runs over your toes, imagine which footwear gives better protection?

Just sharing my tots. :cool:

Thats talking about a normal load. If its a shear load (i.e. your foot may be twisted in an awkward angle in an accident), its a different story. The steel cap can & may shear your toes off.

It can be difficult to visualize. Just take it that I'm blowing hot wind if you don't believe me.

BlackDawn aka kiamh

Any specific reason why you did that bro? Just curious.

Cos i personnally feel that there won't be sufficient protection if it's without armour.

I removed all the armour in my mesh jacket.

Dec 2003 - July 2010

Honda Phantom TA 200

July 2010 - July 2012

Honda Super Four Revo

July 2012 - Current

Honda NC700S ABS