SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

U-turn

Wormwood

Could someone give a humble trainee some tips on executing U-turns properly, and how to consistently avoid making wide turns?

Right now I use this method:

1) Throttle like mad.

2) Apply rear brake.

2) Grip the fuel tank like hell, release the clutch to biting point and use the handlebars rather than body weight to turn.

Somehow, even though I try to follow steps 1 to 3, either I just can't make it to the centre of the lane or the bike moves so slowly that it falls over (I step damn hard on the brake). If I don't use the brake the bike always veers way out of the lane.

One of my classmates told me to try to stop the bike at a 90 degree angle to the stop line. Do you guys do that too? I tend to stop at less than 45 degrees to the stop line.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Wormwood

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omg,i hate u-turn

even now..

dun stop where e bike is straight(90 degree),try more lyk 135 degree

throttle abit more,rear brake no nid step 2 hard leh..

i dun go 2nd lane can liao,mostly i do is wide turn

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/lotand/IMG_1124.jpg

Ride Defensively; always.

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Kawasaki KIPS -> 2010 ~ 2014

Aprilia RS125(09) -> 2014 ~ 2017

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Suzuki DRZ -> 2017 ~ 2018

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

This is how i U-Turn in school.

1) Stop at the edge of the kerb, bike is halfway out from the curb, bike facing about 20 degrees to the right.

2) Move off, change to gear 2, lean down and follow through. If you can do pylon shalom or figure of 8, its the same, just apply the same thing.

This is how i U-Turn in real life.

1) Stop anywhere. Chin Chai. If confirm no car, i don't even stop at all, bend down, corner low low, right knee down and shift my body weight.

2) Move off in gear 1 and drag all the way, then faster up gear.

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

Could someone give a humble trainee some tips on executing U-turns properly, and how to consistently avoid making wide turns?

Right now I use this method:

1) Throttle like mad.

2) Apply rear brake.

2) Grip the fuel tank like hell, release the clutch to biting point and use the handlebars rather than body weight to turn.

Somehow, even though I try to follow steps 1 to 3, either I just can't make it to the centre of the lane or the bike moves so slowly that it falls over (I step damn hard on the brake). If I don't use the brake the bike always veers way out of the lane.

One of my classmates told me to try to stop the bike at a 90 degree angle to the stop line. Do you guys do that too? I tend to stop at less than 45 degrees to the stop line.

Thanks in advance!

Easier way - forget about positioning, deliberate control, etc.

Stop normally, and as crazydj suggests, turn about 20 degrees "in" to the turn.

RELAX. Don't think about the U turn just imagine you're taking one nice smooth corner in Lim Chu Kang, or your favourite carpark. Make sure all clear, then...

Apply power to move off, get the biting point, look where you want to go. If you're going too fast feather the rear brakes a bit to give you better balance.

Most important.... relek lah! :D

TS - you just need to practice more and find out what works for you. For me, just keep body relaxed, normal moving off procedue. Initiate turn immediately after move off, gradually increasing throttle, while looking at where you want to go.

After a little practice, you will be able to ride the bike in circles with handlebars locked to either side. I can do this on both my sports bike and dirt bike. Use body english to influence what you want the bike to do.

Never throttle like mad or grip anything like mad. Having a tense posture absolutely will not help in maintaining balance.

Edited by ulysses_sc

Past: KDX200, LC4 400, LC4 620, GSXR750WR

Present: CBR900RRY, Gas Gas EC250, XR250L, XR250RV, XR400 (motard-ed), NX650 Dominator

My MMMMMMMOOONNNSTTER POST! got Time-Lagg lol!

Eyeline is important. Like when i do figure of 8, i look at the cones, where i am going. Like the plank, you look straight. You always look where you are going to.

Once you graduate, you will lane split. This skill of looking ahead is important when you lane split. Once you start looking at the sides, you tend to lose your focus and tilt to the direction on where you are going.

Likewise, when you do a U-Turn, look at where you are going, feel the bike and follow through. For the TP Test, as you turn, shift up to gear 2, and use your rear brake. Like i said earlier, if you can do figure 8, or the stupid zig zag line, you sure can do this one.

Most importantly, take your time. Don't kan cheong. One the stress monster eats you, you will do something stupid. If you see car coming, just wait. If your view is being blocked, just wait. Even now when riding outside, if the view is being blocked by the other side by a bus/van, or the other road totally cannot see incoming cars, wait for the arrow or the things blocking to move away.

Edited by crazydj

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

i tot u-turn.

all e way is gear 1 haf clutch ?

until complete e turn dan gear up?

oh...no la

dan mine not 135 degree leh.mine mayb 30 degree ?

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

i tot u-turn.

Your driving school very funny one...

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

Half clutch U turn is probably a very tight one!

Please try not to do a super slow U turn at those big cross junctions. If you can widen your riding line do so - it will enable you to safely get up to speed in the other direction faster.

Sometimes not your fault - the other day at Hougang (Ave 1? Outside Defu) accompanying friends to buy Phantoms there was a lorry U turning in front of us. The lorry STOPPED in the middle of the U turn because the driver miscalculated his turning radius.

So don't follow other cars when they U turn. Their vehicle handling is different from yours and if you were behind the lorry above, your bike will be exposed to oncoming traffic coming from the side without room to maneuver! Always use personal judgment when handling your motorcycle.

i tot u-turn.

oh...no la

dan mine not 135 degree leh.mine mayb 30 degree ?

Yeah, that's the way they taught me at BBDC too. First gear for the turn, kick up to second gear when you're straight.

You mean you guys actually kick up to second gear while turning? That means you must be going pretty fast right? I know, I think too much....

My U-turns are slowly improving except for the fact that I move at a snail's pace.

Yeah, that's the way they taught me at BBDC too. First gear for the turn, kick up to second gear when you're straight.

You mean you guys actually kick up to second gear while turning? That means you must be going pretty fast right? I know, I think too much....

My U-turns are slowly improving except for the fact that I move at a snail's pace.

If i recall, CDC teach to change to gear 2 while turning. Cannot drag at gear one.

And its possible to go to gear 2 even when you are super slow. Pylon shalom, figure 8, the stupid L thing, all is in gear 2 what. Even when the engine sound like its dying, die die have to gear 2 also.

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

oh,u learn at bbdc ? same

that tym i learn,nid to gear 1 haf clutch

go bbdc 2B tread ask,beta

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

u mean 7.01 ?

anyway

i got e same feeling as well,even though i failed e pract

gd job well done

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

Nope, 8.01. I thought I would pass leh. But in the end I got 30 points!

Yeah, it's okay to fail. As long as there's some improvement, will still feel quite pleased... but poor, since 8.01 is $30+.

haha,fail 8.01 beta dan u fail TP :)

bobian..

mine 8.01 5x dan pass

lol

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

When approaching the stop line, do you guys use both brakes or just the foot brake? I find that when I use both brakes the bike tends to stop too suddenly causing my right foot to come down.

Why dun u use the engine break followed by both brakes with ur clutch in?.. U will slow down.. Applying brakes will slow u further while clutch in will not be abrupt..

My thoughts.. It's either way first.. Try and u get yr riding pattern soon.. Go for lots of revision arh.. Waste money but u do lots of practise..

Problems arise from advancement of technology - it causes unnecessary misunderstanding among us humans.

When approaching the stop line, do you guys use both brakes or just the foot brake? I find that when I use both brakes the bike tends to stop too suddenly causing my right foot to come down.

Why dun u use the engine break followed by both brakes with ur clutch in?.. U will slow down.. Applying brakes will slow u further while clutch in will not be abrupt..

My thoughts.. It's either way first.. Try and u get yr riding pattern soon.. Go for lots of revision arh.. Waste money but u do lots of practise..

Problems arise from advancement of technology - it causes unnecessary misunderstanding among us humans.