SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

BMW Motorcycles

Drawmer

Been thinking of getting a Beemer .... heard that for FQ can get a GS1100 for around $13k, any owners out there that can give input on this bike or later models ... in finance ..... accesorries and maintanance

Edited by sino74

Originally posted by Drawmer@Apr 21 2004, 05:40 PM

Been thinking of getting a Beemer .... heard that for FQ can get a GS1100 for around $13k, any owners out there that can give input on this bike or later models ... in finance ..... accesorries and maintanance

Maintenance can go > $1k from what I've heard from some owners. But seriously, I just can't understand how maintenance can cost so much.

Another negatiive thing I've heard is the shaft drive that'll cause the bike to sway to one side during high rpm. This is because of the internal rotating mass of the shaft which is absent on chain driven bikes.

Overall, I've seldom heard positive comments on BMW bikes. I liked it quite a lot initially (R1150R) and considered it as a first bike. But I think it's way overpriced for the performance you get.

Maintenance can go > $1k from what I've heard from some owners. But seriously, I just can't understand how maintenance can cost so much.

It true! i not riding one but once considered a 2nd hand. Went down to view one, saw the most recent service record near $800 of which more than 1/2 go to labour. The parts, OEM brake pad etc are relatively cheap.

Another negatiive thing I've heard is the shaft drive that'll cause the bike to sway to one side during high rpm. This is because of the internal rotating mass of the shaft which is absent on chain driven bikes.

Is it becos of the boxer engine.. rock on the left then rite?

heard when u go service ur BMW bike at their service centre , they charge by the hour ah ? :confused:

cos i heard not much mechs out there know how to service boxer engines ?

GIVI Touring windscreen for FZ1 2006 onwards for sale - $90

http://www.koolart-japan.com/images/small/P1246.jpghttp://www.koolart-japan.com/images/small/P1721.jpg

Originally posted by Speedpass@Apr 22 2004, 12:07 PM

heard when u go service ur BMW bike at their service centre , they charge by the hour ah ? :confused:

cos i heard not much mechs out there know how to service boxer engines ?

i think they charged by job type.. anyway.. there are also other authorized motorshop for BMW.

If i am not wrong, PML has the plug in diagnose kit for BMW.. the rest i am not sure.

Yeah, the info i'm getting from some adventure riding ppl is that you have to have significant amount of cash on hand for last minute stuff that needs repair ... be it accidentals or wear and tear. I know closely that some owners have had their beemers without problems for years, even after using them for tours as far as Laos border

One feedback is the beemer needs regular riding if not, some components will experience some kind of deterioration. (Forgot what they were)

But in any case, mostly is hear say, probably have to go hunting for a beemer mech for his input ..........

Off hand, a 2nd hand Africa Twin would suit me fine. If i can't get any positive feedback for the beemer, cause so far, the only perk for these BMW bikes is the shaft.

Originally posted by Drawmer@Apr 22 2004, 02:47 PM

If i can't get any positive feedback for the beemer, cause so far, the only perk for these BMW bikes is the shaft.

Har?? You call that a perk? Although it requires low maintenance, the part where it causes the bike to lean towards the side of the shaft during high rpm is a definite no no for me...

Not to mention that the engine sounds like sh*t.....

Originally posted by clubhead@Apr 22 2004, 07:12 PM

Har?? You call that a perk? Although it requires low maintenance, the part where it causes the bike to lean towards the side of the shaft during high rpm is a definite no no for me...

Not to mention that the engine sounds like sh*t.....

I think the German Engineers have years of R and D behind the design, form and function of the bike, don't know for SURE whether the shaft has any MAJOR forces acting on the bikes axis during high rpm ...

as for how the bike sounds well can always record a sample of your favourite bike and play it in a loop on a cd player everytime you ride ... :)

i tink for maintainence there r some shops in amk autopoint at serangoon north ave 5 near seagate...

or u could diy since its the manpower tats expensive not the parts...

last thing is i would not saw bmw are lousy bikes...the angmohs swear by it...to each their own opinions...i have a whole list of bikes that i dislike also... :sweat:

or mayb u can try checking out http://www.at-asia.org for more opinions...

i have compared prices between new BMW R1200GS bikes n new bikes like the 04 r1 in the UK . for the BMW they r selling for 9275pounds n the 04 r1 is selling for 9399pounds . which is of minor difference .

but how come in s'pore , prices r so dratically different ? :confused:

GIVI Touring windscreen for FZ1 2006 onwards for sale - $90

http://www.koolart-japan.com/images/small/P1246.jpghttp://www.koolart-japan.com/images/small/P1721.jpg

Originally posted by vfr9774@Apr 23 2004, 03:35 PM

i tink for maintainence there r some shops in amk autopoint at serangoon north ave 5 near seagate...

or u could diy since its the manpower tats expensive not the parts...

last thing is i would not saw bmw are lousy bikes...the angmohs swear by it...to each their own opinions...i have a whole list of bikes that i dislike also... :sweat:

or mayb u can try checking out http://www.at-asia.org for more opinions...

I some of the old regulars, who frequently go touring from AT asia ..... heard most of the stuff from them, as for the Drastic difference of the different machines in singapore ... god knows .......

as for Mechs, from AT Asia there's a mech that does strictly BMW's and AT's, the mechs' name is Chan ..

recently opene a shop along Macpherson .. probably drop in to have a look~

Originally posted by Speedpass@Apr 23 2004, 03:46 PM

i have compared prices between new BMW R1200GS bikes n new bikes like the 04 r1 in the UK . for the BMW they r selling for 9275pounds n the 04 r1 is selling for 9399pounds . which is of minor difference .

huh means r1 cheaper than gs12???

cant b ma...

frm wat i read from angmo websites even they r complaining the bmws r expensive but they r so gd tats why they still buy them...

Originally posted by vfr9774@Apr 23 2004, 11:49 PM

huh means r1 cheaper than gs12???

cant b ma...

frm wat i read from angmo websites even they r complaining the bmws r expensive but they r so gd tats why they still buy them...

Yes, that's true about the part of BMW bikes being cheaper than some Jap ones. Situation is similar in US. Performance Motors is charging a high premium for the bikes in Singapore as Singaporeans are just suckers for the brand name. Just look at how much a basic 318i sells for brand new and you'll know. And you still have so many people dreaming of owning a 318i which is basically sh*t for the kind of money you're paying.

Ang moh are quite biased against their own brand ones, especially the Italians and Germans. In this area, the English are a bit, and only a bit, better. You will never catch a Italian who prefers a Honda over a Alfa :smile:

How often you see an ang moh in Singapore driving a Jap car? Most will drive a continental brand.... enough said!

Originally posted by Drawmer@Apr 23 2004, 02:26 PM

I think the German Engineers have years of R and D behind the design, form and function of the bike, don't know for SURE whether the shaft has any MAJOR forces acting on the bikes axis during high rpm ...

as for how the bike sounds well can always record a sample of your favourite bike and play it in a loop on a cd player everytime you ride ... :)

Don't put too much trust in the German engineers. You'll be surprised at some of the major flaws I've encountered on BMW cars!

Recalling back, I met a Perforamance Motors salesperson for their motorcycles at a Pasir Gudang track day. He himself rides a Jap bike and in his own words, "BMW bikes cannot make it". So go figure...

Originally posted by Speedpass@Apr 23 2004, 03:46 PM

One thing tat drives da price up here is the foreign exchange rate. As u know da Euro is si beh strong now.

Then there's other stuff like a premium on da brand here.

Basically, even if u compare prices for a Jap bike sold in da States n here there will be a diff in price. So perhaps, another reason to be a quitter? :)

Someday, home will be where my front wheel points.

Astride a 2002 Yamaha Fazer FZS600

So i guess the basic picture is that, the Beemer isn't really worth what the price tag says,(or maybe wait till the Euro drops, which will probably be never). This contributes alot to what shows on the price tag in the showroom, (and the profit margin of the dealer).

It is without doubt a BRAND name ... and as with all brand names you get alot more with the money you spend on it, albeit that sometimes you DOn't get what you want ... so it's SUBJECT to certain conditions.

So i guess when i started this forum, i wanted to find out whether it is worth the price, although i can afford it. In short, the beemer are for Super Enthusiasts .... or ppl with Super Wallets.

Thanks for the feedback guys~

Hi, I myself is riding a R1100RS Have been riding it for close to 3 years now. I brought it 2nd handed. The bike is almost 8years old. Here's my 2 cents...

1. monthly maint. costs ~ about $110, (oil, filter, valve tuning). Sometime serivces it bi-monthly. I service my bike at outside mach.

2. have tried running the bike to 165km/h, never notice any leaning action from the drive staft. bike still runs very stable. The only leaning action is when the bike is stationary, then it does lean to the right.

3. great braking system. the ABS with the BMW Telelever/Paralaver system doesn't have any front wheel dive when braking hard. bike just stay on the tarmac.

4. good resale value.

I ride a GS1150 too.

every 10k then u service one time which cost around 200. Compared to sports bike 3k u pay $200. Which cost more? If u guys dun ride one, dun anyhow say. IF its 1k or 2k. Do u know what other things they repair too?

Let say sport bike, once drop fairing and stuff will cost u 3K so u going to say ex? Those who say ex must well dun ride. lol

FYI,

I only go back to PML to service my bike

Just me 2 cent:sweat:

ht tp://bryankuang dot googlepages dot com/

my ride kakis started (1999) BMW ~6 of them once, until today only 2 left R1100 & GS1150. heard plenty abt BMW & had chances to tried on all their new BMWs.

non of them use the full-sys oil and will service their bike every 5k. the main reason considering they may not find full-sys oil when travel into ulu places. maintainance at first scared the souls out of them ($$$) they then look for mechs in other authorised dealer. ture the normal svc. does not cost anything more than jap bikes but original parts replacement still higher as compare to jap bikes.

the accelaration the BMWs really do need extra caution. imagine going into a left bend at 100km/h, u throttle hard at exit at the rear wheel loss grip & drift out of the intent path!!!

^$30,000 for a BMW that have all the look & style without all the technology and performance.:goodluck:

1991-Katana125 1992-GN125 1993-Terminator250 1995-Intruder400 1996-ZX-7RRP1 & Charade1L 1996-Vulcan800 1998-Accent1.5L 2001-CorollaXLI 2002-TDM900 2005-Phamton150 2006-FJR1300 2007-KLE500 & WRX JDM 2010-Spark135 & Legacy GT 2012-Focus SW & Sylphy 2015-V Strom 650XT & D Tracker, 2016-Cross Country & RS4 125, 2017-Moto Guzzi V7ii Stone

Originally posted by bryan30@Apr 29 2004, 10:52 AM

I ride a GS1150 too.

every 10k then u service one time which cost around 200. Compared to sports bike 3k u pay $200. Which cost more? Let say sport bike, once drop fairing and stuff will cost u 3K so u going to say ex? Those who say ex must well dun ride. lol

Please lah! Are you sure most people service their sports bike every 3k. Most probably only an oil change. Also that is most likely if the rider takes the bike to PG or track every other week. Platinum and Iridium plugs can last > 10k and air filter as well. Jap bikes recommended service interval is about 12k. At least for my bike, Honda X11. If you use your Beemer as hard, I don't think you'll service it at the recommended service interval of every 10k right?

You not comparing apples to apples already.

Also, sports bike drop fairing need to replace. BM bike drop don't need to replace anything meh??!! The cam cover itself will kill you. Boxer engine the engine protrude so much out of the bike. Drop sure terok terok one. Don't say got frame slider because if sports bike got frame slider, fairing also no problem what.

Feel you're bias...

o_O