SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

BMW Motorcycles

Drawmer

Well, you cannot disagree this. Pro or con, BMW bikes are very unique machines.

Given a choice, costs aside, which will you choose, BMW GS adventure or Varadero?

I read somewhere the GS has sensors to change the engine management system fuel maps to take any kind of fuel you pump, so you can run it on ron92 fuel if you want, and the engine will not be damaged by knocking.

The new GS1200 is 30kg lighter than the old GS1150.

Originally posted by nE0@Apr 29 2004, 10:12 PM

Well, you cannot disagree this. Pro or con, BMW bikes are very unique machines.

Given a choice, costs aside, which will you choose, BMW GS adventure or Varadero?

I read somewhere the GS has sensors to change the engine management system fuel maps to take any kind of fuel you pump, so you can run it on ron92 fuel if you want, and the engine will not be damaged by knocking.

The new GS1200 is 30kg lighter than the old GS1150.

Aiya, unique, character, brand name. Same thing lah. This kinda stuff very emotional one. And the brand name plays a large part like it or not. So some people will be bias for or against.

Given a Porsche Carrera 4S and the Honda NSX Type R (about same cost), most people will choose the Porsche right? Brand name what. So what if the NSX is faster than the Carrera? Who cares? It's a Porsche.

And you MUST take cost into consideration to level the already bias playing field. BMW bikes cost a big premium more than Honda. You don't compare a Subaru STi ($150k) to a Ferrari 360 Modena ($900k) right?

not that cannot buy BMW lah but think it is over priced, here in Singapore.

check out the price in the region, eg. Aust, u will think twice abt buying anything from performance motor.

1991-Katana125 1992-GN125 1993-Terminator250 1995-Intruder400 1996-ZX-7RRP1 & Charade1L 1996-Vulcan800 1998-Accent1.5L 2001-CorollaXLI 2002-TDM900 2005-Phamton150 2006-FJR1300 2007-KLE500 & WRX JDM 2010-Spark135 & Legacy GT 2012-Focus SW & Sylphy 2015-V Strom 650XT & D Tracker, 2016-Cross Country & RS4 125, 2017-Moto Guzzi V7ii Stone

Money can't buy you anything, but it can buy you exclusivity. :smile:

Just look at Harley Davidson. How many would fork out so much money, when they can get cheaper, lighter, and frankly much better performing and reliable machines from other manufacturers?

Don't forget, buying a Harley is just the beginning, there is an 800+ page catalogue of accessories :giddy:

Now thats passion for bikes. If you can afford it, why not? Its up to the individual.

Originally posted by clubhead@Apr 29 2004, 10:02 PM

Please lah! Are you sure most people service their sports bike every 3k. Most probably only an oil change. Also that is most likely if the rider takes the bike to PG or track every other week. Platinum and Iridium plugs can last > 10k and air filter as well. Jap bikes recommended service interval is about 12k. At least for my bike, Honda X11. If you use your Beemer as hard, I don't think you'll service it at the recommended service interval of every 10k right?

You not comparing apples to apples already.

Also, sports bike drop fairing need to replace. BM bike drop don't need to replace anything meh??!! The cam cover itself will kill you. Boxer engine the engine protrude so much out of the bike. Drop sure terok terok one. Don't say got frame slider because if sports bike got frame slider, fairing also no problem what.

Feel you're bias...

o_O

haha. i'm not bias.. Just what i think. Before this i own a R1 which i service every 3k. Anyway all bike about same price, so cannot say bmw bike are more costy to maintain. :smile:

ht tp://bryankuang dot googlepages dot com/

• 1 month later...

I am riding a GS1150 too and agree with Bryan30.

The servicing charge for BM bikes is comparable to any big bikes around... Normally a few hundred per 10k and no such thing as 1k to 2k for every 10k servicing. At least for a GS which has no fairing, if u accidentally drop bike, u prob dont have to change anything except for some minor scratch in the plastic pannier and engine guard.

Also the thing about BM bikes shaft driven and hence losing grip and drifting out when travel at high speed is bull sh*t. In fact, I'm impressed with the stability that the bike can perform at high speed corner with its paralever and telelever. I'd like to quote Bryan's line if u guys dun ride one, dun anyhow say. If u want to say, pls go try one first.

Eventually it's the performance and lifestyle that we are paying for.

John

Actually , it's more of the Style and the Brand then anything else...heheh....same reason why i bot mine.....hohoh:cheeky:

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg

Originally posted by GSJohn@Jun 5 2004, 12:32 AM

Lifestyle, brand name, design and exclusitivity I can understand... but performance???!! Performance for a BMW motorcycle??? No offense but you gotta be kidding me...

Well I would like to own a BMW bike one day especially the K1200GT and R1150RT. I find them a good alternatives to STs.

Maintenace wise one cannot complain abt price as PM workshop is so state of the art and we pay for it.

I experience the different with I went to Nissan and later to Mercedes at C&C event the receptionist looks younger and better...hahah.

Is like Harley also not really good bike but is an heritage just like BMW. Is a neich market. No everybody like to be riding the best deal.....but some ppl just like to be different and there is often a price to pay.

I am a big fan of shaft bikes....as I reckon they are more maintenance free and smoother no dry chain sound. But shaft are heavy.

Well buy toto later.

Originally posted by clubhead@Jun 7 2004, 11:13 PM

Lifestyle, brand name, design and exclusitivity I can understand... but performance???!! Performance for a BMW motorcycle??? No offense but you gotta be kidding me...

Previously, your question about performance may be true for BMW Motorcycles... but times have changed.....

I'm sure you'll agree that 167bhp isn't too shabby eh?

:smile:

It's my dream to own a BMW bike too, someday... (hopefully they'll be making them even lighter by then! :sweat:)

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

• 4 weeks later...

Any idea when the GS1200 will be avail here, wanna chk it out, backside itching, thinking of getting an alternative, something unique.:thumb:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/KohTL/1098/signature.jpg

The years thunder by.

The drams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience.

Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer?

In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

- Sterling Haden, Voyage, 1976

Originally posted by koma@Jul 7 2004, 10:11 PM

u can go performance n check out the display set. last i ask was $42000 otr :p

K. thanks for info.

By the way, besides Performance, anyone else bringing in BMW? PM pricing kinda STEEP, very painful to part with money knowing that most of it goes to the markup.o_O

The years thunder by.

The drams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience.

get the K1200S@!@ :clap: luk at moi signaturEe~~~ :thumb:

http://martymcfry.com/images/limpdick2.jpg

'01 - Honda Repsol

'03 - Honda Super Four VTec Spec II

'04 - Honda ST1100 Pan European

'05 - Yamaha FJR1300A (FAVORITE!! Best Ride ever!!)

'09 - Vespa GTS300 Super

'12 - Yamaha FZ1-N

Future - Kymco Downtown 350i, Xciting 400 or T-Max 530?

Originally posted by ashenZ@Jul 13 2004, 01:08 PM

get the K1200S@!@ :clap: luk at moi signaturEe~~~ :thumb:

Interesting bike the K1200S but me already have ze road bike, aka, my FJR. Looking for an alternative, something that can be good on the road but can also take a bit of rough, one that look good even when dirty, or especially when its dirty! hek hek!!:thumb: :thumb:

Now still in search mode, have not zeroed on anything yet.

The years thunder by.

Originally posted by cyclop@Jul 13 2004, 02:51 PM

Interesting bike the K1200S but me already have ze road bike, aka, my FJR. Looking for an alternative, something that can be good on the road but can also take a bit of rough, one that look good even when dirty, or especially when its dirty! hek hek!!:thumb: :thumb:

Now still in search mode, have not zeroed on anything yet.

if u wanna sell ur fjr.. u noe moi pm~ hehehee~~ gd luck to ya search.. heard quite good comments on the GS.. or can try the yamaha class 2 off trailers~ :thumb:

'01 - Honda Repsol

'09 - Vespa GTS300 Super

'12 - Yamaha FZ1-N

Originally posted by GSJohn@Jun 5 2004, 12:32 AM

I am riding a GS1150 too and agree with Bryan30.

The servicing charge for BM bikes is comparable to any big bikes around... Normally a few hundred per 10k and no such thing as 1k to 2k for every 10k servicing. At least for a GS which has no fairing, if u accidentally drop bike, u prob dont have to change anything except for some minor scratch in the plastic pannier and engine guard.

Also the thing about BM bikes shaft driven and hence losing grip and drifting out when travel at high speed is bull sh*t. In fact, I'm impressed with the stability that the bike can perform at high speed corner with its paralever and telelever. I'd like to quote Bryan's line if u guys dun ride one, dun anyhow say. If u want to say, pls go try one first.

John

:thumb :thumb: :clap: :clap:

heard the same comments frm moz Bemer riders.... the common misunderstanding is probz due to assumations the expensive service n parts is comparable to the bmw cars service pricing whch is not...

but... well also cun deny dat BMW bikes r very expensive.... esp when u drop or kena some minor/major accidents.....

but worth the prestige n comfort rite, Bemer riders???

:bouncefire: :bouncefire:

'01 - Honda Repsol

'09 - Vespa GTS300 Super

'12 - Yamaha FZ1-N

Originally posted by ashenZ+Jul 14 2004, 12:33 PM-->
QUOTE (ashenZ @ Jul 14 2004, 12:33 PM)
if u wanna sell ur fjr.. u noe moi pm~ hehehee~~ gd luck to ya search.. heard quite good comments on the GS.. or can try the yamaha class 2 off trailers~ :thumb:[/b]

The years thunder by.

Originally posted by rxZster@Jul 14 2004, 01:39 PM

:offtopic:

Macbeth? :)

Nope, Harry Porter.

Even more :offtopic: :offtopic: ha ha

The years thunder by.