SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Using SingNet 2Wire router modem with Starhub Hubstation

moccajava

Hi guys,

A guy from Starhub rang me up yesterday and told me that I could use the Ethernet port at the back to use Maxonline services.

I plan to share it wirelessly instead of being binded by a cable near to the hubstation always. I have a spare MioTV 2Wire router modem.

Do you think I could recycle this?

Any help appreciated!

I am The Great Cornholio!

And a Gringo...

I have no Bunghole...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid you can't do that with the white Mio modem, bro. There is no "WAN" port on the Mio modem to perform this neat trick.

Edited by redbeacon

Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum

Biker nerd • Windows • Apple Mac • Android user

"Kick up your sidestand bro, let's ride..."

in theory can be done, have done it with another ADSL modem/router, just connect ur starhub to the lan of MIO modem. the white modem is also a router. if it's not plug n play, need to twinkle some config in the MIO modem.

Accident can happen anytime, anywhere.

However ask yourself, do you want to fall at 120km/h or 60km/h?

in theory can be done, have done it with another ADSL modem/router, just connect ur starhub to the lan of MIO modem. the white modem is also a router. if it's not plug n play, need to twinkle some config in the MIO modem.

Dude, I thought this was possible initially, but a source has told me that the Starhub Hubstation does not have a DHCP function.

The Mio box is marketed as a "router" alright, but its routing capabilities (ie. access to the Internet) lies on only the ADSL interface (i.e. its phone port).

The 4-port LAN interface, as well as the WiFi receiver: they are part of a switching network inside the Mio box - purpose is to bring all 4 wired and many other wireless computers together so that they can access the internet through that sole ADSL interface. Internet-sharing is another term for this.

So yeah, TS should be unable to reuse his Mio box for this purpose.

Yeah, these kinds of ADSL devices are marketed as a "router" in many IT shops, but they did not make the abovementioned distinction because they didn't want to confuse buyers.

http://infotech.azacamis.net/2008/11/using-2wire-adsl-wireless-router-with.html

Awaiting TS's advice, if any.

Edited by redbeacon

actually u just confirmed a possible setup.

by acting as a switch, it's possible to get wireless, just maybe need to input the ip address.

if there's more than 1 device, in theory, can spoof more ip from the hubstation.

The hubstation is tasked to receive 1 IP address. This assignment is from Starhub's premises, and the IP goes like 203.xxx.yyy.001 - One IP address like this is assigned per a person's monthly subscription to Starhub Maxonline, and with this address, it empowers each household to access the internet. Techies call this the "External IP"

I spoke in layman's terms for the rest of the visitors here to understand ;)

Anyhoo, the Hubstation isn't a DHCP server, nor does it function like one. Therefore, it's unable to hand out additional IP addresses. This is why I was under the impression that there should be an additional device installed right in the middle of everything...like a router (or something that can perform NAT)...so that many computers can share that one IP.

I'm not sure if the Hubstation can allow spoofing, can anyone confirm?

Hi guys,

Ok let me try to plug it in to the LAN port in the back of the MIO thingie from the Hubstation.

If I were to get an IP from the Hubstation means somehow internal config I should be able to broadcast it out for sharing no? Not too geeky about networking so need some clues on this. But let me try the direct connection to the LAN port first tonight.

Thanks!

I am The Great Cornholio!

And a Gringo...

I have no Bunghole...

what i mean by spoofing is that u manually input the ip address. because up on starhub's main, there's a dhcp. true that by right u can't get more than 1 external ip, however u can 'steal' more. but take note that complications might occur.

i've recently exploring the settings of the new mio box, there's a setting call routed (something). i'm quite busy to test it out, however i recall i had a success connecting 2 adsl modem together to expand the host.

@moccajava, how many wireless/wired device r u intending to connect?

what i mean by spoofing is that u manually input the ip address. because up on starhub's main, there's a dhcp. true that by right u can't get more than 1 external ip, however u can 'steal' more. but take note that complications might occur.

Alright brother, I will pass the torch over to you.

P.S.: The Mio 2701HGV has an MDC settings page if you need to get under the hood.

Hi guys,

A guy from Starhub rang me up yesterday and told me that I could use the Ethernet port at the back to use Maxonline services.

I plan to share it wirelessly instead of being binded by a cable near to the hubstation always. I have a spare MioTV 2Wire router modem.

Do you think I could recycle this?

Any help appreciated!

As a network switch, yes. As a router. highly unlikely. The 2wires here are firmware locked with SingTel's firmware.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Loontoot/Funny%20Pics/adminuser4mw.gif

<CMO> Quality IT Services for homes & businesses.

<CMO> 3M Products from U.S.A

ok i spoke to a friend who had success in using the mio box as a router.

u need to downgrade ur firmware to v5, there's a broadband port which u can use for wan. the box he tested on is 2701hgv.