SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Need Information] Thailand, MHS

adesmond2

Hi Tourers Bikers!

I wish you guys can provide me with abit of information.

I will be traveling from Chiang Mai to Pia and to MHS, from MHS, I wish to proceed to Bangkok.

Our group smallest tank will be estimated 200km on full tank on highway. (based lowest mileage taken)

1) MHS - In between Chiang Mai and Pia and MHS, is there any Petrol station? If no, where's the "nearest" petrol station?

2) From MHS to Bangkok, we plan to ride down from MHS to Tak, and from Tak to BKK, will this be a wise choice? Or is there a better route/choice..

3) Will there be any problem if we "bring" petrol across customs? (MY/TH)

4) Will it be safe to travel at night along Thailand?

5) Lastly, is there anything we need to look out or be careful about? Corners with pot holes, anything worst then that?

Appreciate any kind of assistance tendered. Thanks in advance!

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tourers Bikers!

I wish you guys can provide me with abit of information.

I will be traveling from Chiang Mai to Pia and to MHS, from MHS, I wish to proceed to Bangkok.

Our group smallest tank will be estimated 200km on full tank on highway. (based lowest mileage taken)

1) MHS - In between Chiang Mai and Pia and MHS, is there any Petrol station? If no, where's the "nearest" petrol station?

less than 200km between these towns. nearest petrol source will be your buddy's fuel tank or spare fuel container.

2) From MHS to Bangkok, we plan to ride down from MHS to Tak, and from Tak to BKK, will this be a wise choice? Or is there a better route/choice..

advise to you is not to fixate to any particular destination/town. rest and ride as the conditions permit. Just have a rough idea of the general route that you be taking.

No problem. but savings maybe a few dollars. i brought 4 litres in my spare fuel container before.

not safe as the road markings not clear. sometimes white lines cant be seen. unless you got ultra bright LEDs. I will dissuade you.

5) Lastly, is there anything we need to look out or be careful about? Corners with pot holes, anything worst then that?

Worse than that will be hairpins corners that let you choose either you want pothole or you want cowdung.

Appreciate any kind of assistance tendered. Thanks in advance!

Have fun with and respect everything/everyone that you encounter.

The only reason why I'm not laughing with you is that I prefer laughing at you.

Plan ur trip well.

Never ride at night, start early n stop riding before dark.

Simon Soh

It's not the destination we conquered but ourselves.

Chiang Saen, Land of Golden Triangle

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5254/5500744953_52f8f8de37.jpg

26th Dec 05' - 9th Jan 06' Northern Thailand Trip

less than 200km between these towns. nearest petrol source will be your buddy's fuel tank or spare fuel container.

advise to you is not to fixate to any particular destination/town. rest and ride as the conditions permit. Just have a rough idea of the general route that you be taking.

No problem. but savings maybe a few dollars. i brought 4 litres in my spare fuel container before.

not safe as the road markings not clear. sometimes white lines cant be seen. unless you got ultra bright LEDs. I will dissuade you.

Worse than that will be hairpins corners that let you choose either you want pothole or you want cowdung.

Have fun with and respect everything/everyone that you encounter.

Bro.. thanks for all the information..

haha.. will do.. will advise everyone to have at least 1 litre unless they can run 250km (min).. :)

Btw, from MHS, should we proceed by the coastal "left" side of thailand and go to tak or U-turn? Which one is a wiser choice?

haha.. I preferred to slow down until I can siam the dung and potholes.. Will come back and tell you if I managed to do that anot. :p

Plan ur trip well.

Never ride at night, start early n stop riding before dark.

Thanks bros! Will do that.. :)

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

This is scary alright!

Harlow Sprocket! Not scary la.. I'm sure it will be easy for you.. :p

2012-2004 = 8 years riding experience.. (Power!) :)

Hi guys,

Sorry to borrow this thread, intending to go up MHS. Would like to get some advise.

1) Is it cheaper to rail our bike up to Bangkok or ride up?

2) As I've read some threads, Bangkok highway doesn't allow motorbikes, how to prevent this? Is there any signs or is there anyway to switch the setting in our GPS to avoid?

3) What are the recommend routes to ride up to Mae Hong Son? Can anyone give a breakdown like which routes or towns to bypass?

4) Anyone can share some coordinates like place of interests, or lodging?

Sorry to ask these silly questions, as I'm going up 1st time, I would like to get as much info as I can. I've been reading the threads about north Thailand in SBF, but also hope if other seasoned tourers can share too. :)

Hi guys,

Sorry to borrow this thread, intending to go up MHS. Would like to get some advise.

2) As I've read some threads, Bangkok highway doesn't allow motorbikes, how to prevent this? Is there any signs or is there anyway to switch the setting in our GPS to avoid?

3) What are the recommend routes to ride up to Mae Hong Son? Can anyone give a breakdown like which routes or towns to bypass?

Sorry to ask these silly questions, as I'm going up 1st time, I would like to get as much info as I can. I've been reading the threads about north Thailand in SBF, but also hope if other seasoned tourers can share too. :)

Hi Bro.. Since no one answer.. I'll try to answer you as much as my knowledge does.. :)

1) Indeed, it's cheaper to rail all the way up.. *but you will miss all breath-taking sceneries..

2) Indeed, in BKK certain highway doesn't allow Motorcycle, so just ensure while you plan the route using google map, re-route the way until no "TOLLS".. :)

3) there's no recommended routes as there's only one highway.. haha.. You can go any small routes but make sure they are considered as "major" roads because if too deep in the village, I'm afraid there might not be any petrol station.

4) Sorry, I don't have "yet".. :p

Btw, you will be riding up solo? Care to join me? :p

Hi Bro.. Since no one answer.. I'll try to answer you as much as my knowledge does.. :)

1) Indeed, it's cheaper to rail all the way up.. *but you will miss all breath-taking sceneries..

2) Indeed, in BKK certain highway doesn't allow Motorcycle, so just ensure while you plan the route using google map, re-route the way until no "TOLLS".. :)

3) there's no recommended routes as there's only one highway.. haha.. You can go any small routes but make sure they are considered as "major" roads because if too deep in the village, I'm afraid there might not be any petrol station.

4) Sorry, I don't have "yet".. :p

Btw, you will be riding up solo? Care to join me? :p

Yup solo, when will you be going up? I'm leaving on the 14th or 15th Dec. waiting for my schedule to be out. :)

Yup solo, when will you be going up? I'm leaving on the 14th or 15th Dec. waiting for my schedule to be out. :)

wow.. can't la.. dec lei.. my trip next year May~June.. yours too last min.. LOL..

Hi guys.. I got another question..

I'll be passing by these few locations.. Any good inn/motel/hotels to recommend?

Hatyai - Golden Crown

Hua hin - ??

Ayutta -??

Nong Kai -??

Vieng Vang -??

Fields of Jars -??

Luang Lamba -?

Chiang Mai -?

Pai - ??

Tak - ??

Thanks for all advise.. :)

Me on last few days of my North Thailand ride. My humble opinion:

Anti-clockwise from Chiang Mai to Pai to MHS is correct.

Chiang mai to Pai is short but very difficult due to tight bends in up and down slopes. Cannot go fast. Average speed was 30km/hr nia. Pai got nice night market. Got PTT petrol station too. Go for PTT petrol whenever possible. They confirm got 95. Other stations sometime only have 91 and some bikes may not like it.

Pai to MHS is only 105km but ride is more fun in the mountain top with nice view. Can get distracted so pay attention to the road. Got stop areas to take photos and buy things. Average speed increased to 60 km/hr. MHS also got PTT petrol.

Got many guesthouse but reputable is the Baiyoke Chalet. A bit higher cost but the night market is just across the street. 7 eleven on the left and collect MHS cert at building next door on the right. Can visit long neck village, Ban Ruam Thai and Ban Rak Thai. Forget the fish cave... Nothing much there.

MHS to Mae Sariang PTT is 160km only. Nice road up to 85km then bad potholes for 5km. Nice for another 5km then potholes again for 5km. The rest of the route is superly good with average speed at 100km/hr or more.

Adviced not to continue down to Mae Sot. That 230 km stretch was still pretty bad shape and not suitable for most bikes.

I took a detour eastwards to HOT via hw108. Very nice route and scenery. From HOT, can then take r1103 then r106 and join back the main Highway down to Tak. Average speed was 100km/hr and above for most parts.

11 - 25 Nov - 15D, Taiwan - Fly and Scoot

7 - 15 Apr - 9D, Phuket and Hatyai Songkran

17 Nov to 2 Dec - 16D, North East Thailand (Issan)

30 Mar to 7 Apr - 9D Korea/Jeju Fly and Ride

8 - 24 Nov - 16D, Mae Hong Son

http://thehouseofdaviz.blogspot.sg/

Hi guys.. I got another question..

I'll be passing by these few locations.. Any good inn/motel/hotels to recommend?

Hatyai - Golden Crown

Hua hin - ??

Ayutta -??

Nong Kai -??

Vieng Vang -??

Fields of Jars -??

Luang Lamba -?

Chiang Mai -?

Pai - ??

Tak - ??

Thanks for all advise.. :)

Hua Hin can stay at Baan Manthana Hotel/House (same). Big clean room with the night market 50m away.

Sheltered private carpark. Got swimming pool too.

Chiang Mai I stayed at Royal Lanna Hotel. A bit ex but got sheltered private carpark with security. Swimming pool and best of all, surrounded by lots of shopping and eating. Many pasar malam within 200m.

As for Pai, I stayed at Baan Pai village. Fan room only without tv. Cottage typed with mozzy net cos got mozzies. I use ridsect and mozzy coils. No harm though cos the net was good enough.

I won't recommend this. You may want to source a hotel near it because it is very near the walking street pasar malam.

Me on last few days of my North Thailand ride. My humble opinion:

Anti-clockwise from Chiang Mai to Pai to MHS is correct.

Chiang mai to Pai is short but very difficult due to tight bends in up and down slopes. Cannot go fast. Average speed was 30km/hr nia. Pai got nice night market. Got PTT petrol station too. Go for PTT petrol whenever possible. They confirm got 95. Other stations sometime only have 91 and some bikes may not like it.

Pai to MHS is only 105km but ride is more fun in the mountain top with nice view. Can get distracted so pay attention to the road. Got stop areas to take photos and buy things. Average speed increased to 60 km/hr. MHS also got PTT petrol.

Got many guesthouse but reputable is the Baiyoke Chalet. A bit higher cost but the night market is just across the street. 7 eleven on the left and collect MHS cert at building next door on the right. Can visit long neck village, Ban Ruam Thai and Ban Rak Thai. Forget the fish cave... Nothing much there.

MHS to Mae Sariang PTT is 160km only. Nice road up to 85km then bad potholes for 5km. Nice for another 5km then potholes again for 5km. The rest of the route is superly good with average speed at 100km/hr or more.

Adviced not to continue down to Mae Sot. That 230 km stretch was still pretty bad shape and not suitable for most bikes.

I took a detour eastwards to HOT via hw108. Very nice route and scenery. From HOT, can then take r1103 then r106 and join back the main Highway down to Tak. Average speed was 100km/hr and above for most parts.

Hua Hin can stay at Baan Manthana Hotel/House (same). Big clean room with the night market 50m away.

Sheltered private carpark. Got swimming pool too.

Chiang Mai I stayed at Royal Lanna Hotel. A bit ex but got sheltered private carpark with security. Swimming pool and best of all, surrounded by lots of shopping and eating. Many pasar malam within 200m.

As for Pai, I stayed at Baan Pai village. Fan room only without tv. Cottage typed with mozzy net cos got mozzies. I use ridsect and mozzy coils. No harm though cos the net was good enough.

I won't recommend this. You may want to source a hotel near it because it is very near the walking street pasar malam.

THAT'S REALLY very good information! especially the route details.. Ok! I'll go back chiang mai from Pai and proceed to tak from there instead of riding another way.. :)

THANKS a million! :)

THAT'S REALLY very good information! especially the route details.. Ok! I'll go back chiang mai from Pai and proceed to tak from there instead of riding another way.. :)

THANKS a million! :)

I meant the section from Mae Sariang to Mae Sot can dont do.

No problem from Chiang Mai to Pai to MHS to Mae Sariang to Hot. That few km of potholes would not be able to stop u. hehe. must collect the cert at MHS, that proves u have covered 1864 corners to reach there.

Hot to Tak is an easy route.

No point doing the stressful route to Pai twice forward and back to chiang mai.

Anyway, travel at your own comfort pace and route.

I meant the section from Mae Sariang to Mae Sot can dont do.

No problem from Chiang Mai to Pai to MHS to Mae Sariang to Hot. That few km of potholes would not be able to stop u. hehe. must collect the cert at MHS, that proves u have covered 1864 corners to reach there.

Hot to Tak is an easy route.

No point doing the stressful route to Pai twice forward and back to chiang mai.

Anyway, travel at your own comfort pace and route.

Got cert to collect???

Your silver wing complete the MHS concer?

:)

Phantom TA200 2012, Vara 125 2013 (Betong)

TZR 125 (HatYai) 2013 & 2018 (Tak Bai)

CB400SF PB1 (Danok, HatYai, Yala, Betong and Su-ngai Kolok) 2014

CB400SF PB1 Iron Butt SaddleSore 1600k 25th Feb 2015

NT650V Deuville (Pattani) (Solo SG-MY-TH-LS)

ST1100 Pan 3 mountain ride in 24hr , MHS 1864 2017

http://tripdrive.blogspot.sg

Sorry double post.

Edited by osxunix

Phantom TA200 2012, Vara 125 2013 (Betong)

TZR 125 (HatYai) 2013 & 2018 (Tak Bai)

CB400SF PB1 (Danok, HatYai, Yala, Betong and Su-ngai Kolok) 2014

CB400SF PB1 Iron Butt SaddleSore 1600k 25th Feb 2015

NT650V Deuville (Pattani) (Solo SG-MY-TH-LS)

ST1100 Pan 3 mountain ride in 24hr , MHS 1864 2017

http://tripdrive.blogspot.sg

Got cert to collect???

Your silver wing complete the MHS concer?

:)

I believe mine was the 2nd silverwing that traveled to North Thailand.

Completed my MHS and collected the achievement cert with my name on it. Haha.

A few years later then go back again, possibly include some other parts of East and North East Thailand.

Bro, maybe I can give some note...

1) if u have not enough time to go for the long ride triangle will be a good choice, as I put my XT 250 from Bangkok-Chiangmai is just $1250B for the bike n $880B for 2nd class sleeper train...

2) I m not sure as there, as freeway that ban motorbike, I think izzt mostly inside BKK city, n some of the of the outskirt highway, i think toward pattaya motorbike r ban on the freeway, as for highway 1 is ok, as I did not ride to the north so I m not so sure

3) Izzt very simple n easy from CNX to MHS... u just need a normal map, or ur smartphone... As most ppl will do just the anti-clock wise for the loop as izzt shorter n more cruve, as I only use my iPhone with Thai data plan n it serve n well...

4) Just google n u will get all the infor u need, dun worry, izzt very fun to travel alone... Just ask the local if u need any help, maybe u can catch me there, as bike is still there, will be going up on the 20th... Everyone ride safe... 

Hi guys,

Edited by shoei_com

fn328k.multiply.com/photos

Life is short, Ride hard..........

Bro, maybe I can give some note...

1) if u have not enough time to go for the long ride triangle will be a good choice, as I put my XT 250 from Bangkok-Chiangmai is just $1250B for the bike n $880B for 2nd class sleeper train...

2) I m not sure as there so free way that ban motorbike, I think izzt mostly inside BKK city, n some of the of the out skirt high, as I did not ride to the north so I m not so sure

3) Izzt very simple n easy from CNX to MHS... u just need a normal map, or ur smartphone... As most ppl will do just the anti-clock wise for the loop as izzt shorter n more cruve, as I only use my iPhone with Thai data plan n it serve n well...

4) Just google n u will get all the infor u need, dun worry, izzt very fun to travel alone... Just ask the local if u need any help, maybe u can catch me there, as bike is still there, will be going up on the 20th... Everyone ride safe... 

Bro, thanks for your advises!

Btw, what thai sim card did you get? I'm using iphone 4 can right? :p

I believe mine was the 2nd silverwing that traveled to North Thailand.

Completed my MHS and collected the achievement cert with my name on it. Haha.

A few years later then go back again, possibly include some other parts of East and North East Thailand.

does it indicate what bike you ride up on the cert?

does it indicate what bike you ride up on the cert?

Rider Name and Bike Number.

Probably can add other.

Cert is 20 baht... = 2 ringgit = 80 sg cents.

Sticker is 25 baht each.

• 3 months later...
Rider Name and Bike Number.

Probably can add other.

Cert is 20 baht... = 2 ringgit = 80 sg cents.

Sticker is 25 baht each.

Sure! Will definitely get both.. :p

i use happy! for iphone 4

Thanks for your advise! ;)