SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Failing figure 8 >10 times

noobie2k22

Hello All

Ive failed figure 8 class for more than 10 times, always around 11~12 seconds. Super demoralised hence would like to ask if there’s any tips for improving my timing?

Feels like I’m an outlier for failing so many times as well haha😅

Thanks a lot!

hi there's a thread "2B at BBDC or CDC" where you might get more responses. There's also been some discussion on it too. 

on my part, i found i need to go at a speed that slightly scares me in order to make the timing comfortably

• Like 1

14 hours ago, noobie2k22 said:

Hello All

Ive failed figure 8 class for more than 10 times, always around 11~12 seconds. Super demoralised hence would like to ask if there’s any tips for improving my timing?

Feels like I’m an outlier for failing so many times as well haha😅

Thanks a lot!

dun be demoralised.. there's a lot of ladies out there who are already on the road.. Yesterday I saw a XSR lady near cdc.. (didn't know it's a lady as I saw the bike only) and when stop, was "checking out" the bike and when I saw it's a lady rider.. need to stop checking it out.. 😂 Later people tot I'm some prevert uncle.. 😂

Meanwhile, keep it up~~

11 hours ago, noobie2k22 said:

Hello thanks for letting me know! shall check out that thread for discussion!

I was about to ask you to tag Nakuru.. but I can see she already replied you on that thread.. let's jump on that thread.. 😛

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

Hi, im not sure if this might help but one way I personally found to improve my timing by a whole second for figure 8 is to pick up more speed before entering the course. While entering, slowly release clutch and then finally open abit of throttle inside. Always look far on where you want to go and not the kerb. If you look at the kerb you definitely will find yourself trying to slow down the bike more and lose time. You have to trust the bike that it will not fall. Keep your upper body relaxed and grip the tank tight. Hope this method might help you a little. All the best!

Edited by Dylannn
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In short,  conquer your FEAR OF LEANING.

You should be leant forward slightly with relaxed, bent arms.  Elbows should be low, in line with the handlebars if possible

Leaning a motorcycle in the direction of the turn is crucial to ensure make the corner. One of the most efficient ways to initiate that lean is by pressing forward on the handlebar grip in the direction of turn

Simply leaning your upper body off-center, towards the inside of the turn. Position yourself as if you are kissing your mirror. Keep your inside shoulder low and forward while your eyes look through the curve. Your butt stays more-or-less centered on the seat.

Open a little more throttle,  try keeping the rpms up,  a clear louder engine sound than normal should be heard, using rear brake to maintain a constant speed

Have fun with figure 8

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, magicj said:

In short,  conquer your FEAR OF LEANING.

You should be leant forward slightly with relaxed, bent arms.  Elbows should be low, in line with the handlebars if possible

Leaning a motorcycle in the direction of the turn is crucial to ensure make the corner. One of the most efficient ways to initiate that lean is by pressing forward on the handlebar grip in the direction of turn

Simply leaning your upper body off-center, towards the inside of the turn. Position yourself as if you are kissing your mirror. Keep your inside shoulder low and forward while your eyes look through the curve. Your butt stays more-or-less centered on the seat.

Open a little more throttle,  try keeping the rpms up,  a clear louder engine sound than normal should be heard, using rear brake to maintain a constant speed

Have fun with figure 8

this one is advance technique.. haha

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

• 1 month later...

For a start, lets go back to basic body form. After you move off properly. 

1. Thighs grip rightly to the tank!

2. EYEPOINT. Look at where you are heading towards, DO NOT look at the Kerb next to you!

3. Be confident about the tires and gravitational forces, at 20-30km/h the bike will not suddenly just drop when you are are turning. Centrifugal force will push u upright.   

4. Do not force the bike to lean down. Let the turning force and the turn lean the bike. When your tights are gripped tightly, your body will follow the bike. 

5. Keep your right paws OFF THOSE FRONT BRAKES. If you need to slow down, use the REAR Brakes. Try to maintain throttle at a certain "sound" and keep it there. If you feel its too fast for the curve step on the rear brakes to slow the bike down. Apparently they deduct the points if you hold the brakes all the way now. So just need to do brake throttling now. 

6. at the "cross over point, the land is actually STRAIGHT. Aim for the curve, speed up then slow down alittle to enter the curve. 

Watch this video for the figure 8 and the eye points. Look at where he is looking at in the figure 8. Its just ahead of where you're about to head to. Too like across the circle. Just slightly ahead. 

Edited by Siphon
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Siphon said:

For a start, lets go back to basic body form. After you move off properly. 

1. Thighs grip rightly to the tank!

2. EYEPOINT. Look at where you are heading towards, DO NOT look at the Kerb next to you!

3. Be confident about the tires and gravitational forces, at 20-30km/h the bike will not suddenly just drop when you are are turning. Centrifugal force will push u upright.   

4. Do not force the bike to lean down. Let the turning force and the turn lean the bike. When your tights are gripped tightly, your body will follow the bike. 

5. Keep your right paws OFF THOSE FRONT BRAKES. If you need to slow down, use the REAR Brakes. Try to maintain throttle at a certain "sound" and keep it there. If you feel its too fast for the curve step on the rear brakes to slow the bike down. Apparently they deduct the points if you hold the brakes all the way now. So just need to do brake throttling now. 

6. at the "cross over point, the land is actually STRAIGHT. Aim for the curve, speed up then slow down alittle to enter the curve. 

Watch this video for the figure 8 and the eye points. Look at where he is looking at in the figure 8. Its just ahead of where you're about to head to. Too like across the circle. Just slightly ahead. 

waaa.. SSDC got such challenge cup one ah.. they quite fierce.. abit like TP style already..

SSDC the lesson 3 damn hard to pass they mark as strict or stricter than tester. The record I heard from someone was repeating 21 times!!!!!

On the other hand I heard CDC got people fall off bike during S-course still can pass lesson 3. I was stunned.

11 hours ago, kitsura said:

SSDC the lesson 3 damn hard to pass they mark as strict or stricter than tester. The record I heard from someone was repeating 21 times!!!!!

On the other hand I heard CDC got people fall off bike during S-course still can pass lesson 3. I was stunned.

Depending ba.. got pro and cons on both SSDC and CDC... CDC waiting time for each lesson is 2-3 weeks..  lesson slightly more expensive.. CDC also have orientation lessons..

12 hours ago, kitsura said:

Most probably the person have some bad habits tt cant change.. my husb recently pass his 2A on 2nd try. Another friend also pass on 2nd try. Ask the instructor all questions especially whats the mistake. Shldnt need to repeat so many times if u're doing everything correctly

8 minutes ago, Nakuru said:

Most probably the person have some bad habits tt cant change.. my husb recently pass his 2A on 2nd try. Another friend also pass on 2nd try. Ask the instructor all questions especially whats the mistake. Shldnt need to repeat so many times if u're doing everything correctly

My XP is that they try to pinpoint reason to fail you. Like if your timing on certain stations cant clear prepare to get like 30-40 points which you can't analyse. Best just try to do CR and improve timing then attempt again.

13 hours ago, kitsura said:

I gg to go for my CL2 soon.... See your post already very demoralising leh.....

Just now, Pisces44 said:

I gg to go for my CL2 soon.... See your post already very demoralising leh.....

I intend to change school. I always thought 2B was hardest but they also so strict for class 2A. Or maybe I just don't like fuel injected bikes. I ride a carburetor bike so the throttle response is so much more controlled not like the super4 they use in SSDC.

2 hours ago, kitsura said:

My XP is that they try to pinpoint reason to fail you. Like if your timing on certain stations cant clear prepare to get like 30-40 points which you can't analyse. Best just try to do CR and improve timing then attempt again.

so far I heard from others still ok lei.. for SSDC.. 

@Nakuru's husband just pass 2A Lesson 3? Now waiting for TP.

My Brother from SSDC as well.. also already pass CL2. 1 lesson each except lesson 3.. from enroll to pass about 1 month plus.. way faster then mine (CDC).

54 minutes ago, kitsura said:

I intend to change school. I always thought 2B was hardest but they also so strict for class 2A. Or maybe I just don't like fuel injected bikes. I ride a carburetor bike so the throttle response is so much more controlled not like the super4 they use in SSDC.

dun need ba.. Waste money lei.. just the registration already how much.. 

5 minutes ago, adesmond2 said:

so far I heard from others still ok lei.. for SSDC.. 

@Nakuru's husband just pass 2A Lesson 3? Now waiting for TP.

My Brother from SSDC as well.. also already pass CL2. 1 lesson each except lesson 3.. from enroll to pass about 1 month plus.. way faster then mine (CDC).

dun need ba.. Waste money lei.. just the registration already how much.. 

Not changed halfway, I just passed 2A at SSDC so for class 2 str go BBDC. Anyway same bike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kitsura said:

My husb pass lesson 1 n 2 with 1 try each. Lesson 3 on 2nd try. I dont think they were strict.. i took my 2B at ssdc also didnt have much issue.. as long as u dun bring in all the bad habits then it shldnt have any issue

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nakuru said:

My husb pass lesson 1 n 2 with 1 try each. Lesson 3 on 2nd try. I dont think they were strict.. i took my 2B at ssdc also didnt have much issue.. as long as u dun bring in all the bad habits then it shldnt have any issue

I suspect they have different criteria based on age and gender. I saw someone who was doing CR can still fall of bike at s-course. If you are going for test or clear lesson 3 I would expect minimum standard of clearing s-course. Granted my s-course not my strongest obstacle but I have never dropped or fallen of my 2A bike. 2B I've crashed many times even fractured my rib. But 2A not even once.

1 hour ago, kitsura said:

I suspect they have different criteria based on age and gender. I saw someone who was doing CR can still fall of bike at s-course. If you are going for test or clear lesson 3 I would expect minimum standard of clearing s-course. Granted my s-course not my strongest obstacle but I have never dropped or fallen of my 2A bike. 2B I've crashed many times even fractured my rib. But 2A not even once.

Cant say like tt. Sometimes some people clear lesson with no issue but during CR starts to get nervous cos lesson 3 / TP is coming. N Not everyone who passes 2B will ride a bike daily all the way till 2A. It may be easy to u but not easy to them. U also dunno how many times they have repeated for each lessons to make it till CR. Cannot judge people just cos they fell off the bike at S course. It is still a big jump from 2B. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kitsura said:

hahaha...i think u r referring to people like me...when i was doing my 2A... i can still drop bike....crank course mount kerb. cos i riding auto now....so need a few sessions for each level to get back that "feeling"....

Edited by Pisces44

10 hours ago, Pisces44 said:

hahaha...i think u r referring to people like me...when i was doing my 2A... i can still drop bike....crank course mount kerb. cos i riding auto now....so need a few sessions for each level to get back that "feeling"....

My point is not an attack on any group of learners but rather the arbitrary pass or fail criteria by instructors. You know I have seen learners with the CR tag going around the S-course like a bicycle, all upright. Even without a stopwatch I know she was going to get an IF. There is no way I can think of to go fast without any sort of lean.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:37 PM, Pisces44 said:

chill.. normal bah.. I chatted up with a few riders.. some of them using auto.. so very diff.. some never ride.. so completely understood..

23 hours ago, kitsura said:

My point is not an attack on any group of learners but rather the arbitrary pass or fail criteria by instructors. You know I have seen learners with the CR tag going around the S-course like a bicycle, all upright. Even without a stopwatch I know she was going to get an IF. There is no way I can think of to go fast without any sort of lean.

Yes.. this is the norm.. there's no official criteria.. but as long the instructor see you happy, you will pass.. but soon.. the "official" method of full digital will come very soon.. and there's no see you happy pass.. it's just strictly right OR wrong.. that's all.

I think it's all very subjective to attitude towards instructors and the way you ride? As long got 1-2 "pass" timing, usually instructors are quite okay with it.. Btw.. this log here is about my CL2 journey in CDC.. let's not flood here with SSDC figure 8 failures.. LOL...

Since all those unrelated to my journey in CDC.. I've managed to merge them with this topic instead.. :) 

On 2/2/2023 at 9:43 AM, adesmond2 said:

chill.. normal bah.. I chatted up with a few riders.. some of them using auto.. so very diff.. some never ride.. so completely understood..

Yes.. this is the norm.. there's no official criteria.. but as long the instructor see you happy, you will pass.. but soon.. the "official" method of full digital will come very soon.. and there's no see you happy pass.. it's just strictly right OR wrong.. that's all.

I think it's all very subjective to attitude towards instructors and the way you ride? As long got 1-2 "pass" timing, usually instructors are quite okay with it.. Btw.. this log here is about my CL2 journey in CDC.. let's not flood here with SSDC figure 8 failures.. LOL...

Since all those unrelated to my journey in CDC.. I've managed to merge them with this topic instead.. :) 

Yes they are installing cameras and "testing" I'm going to quickly clear my CL2 hopefully before they implement. If they are really using cameras to mark then nothing will escape them in the future. It would be like football with VAR, can replay in event of any contest.

• Like 1