SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Group] SBF DUCATI Monster

Guest Azman79

he juz fork out $240 juz for the labour fees liao. 4.8hrs at the rate of $50/hr! :giddy: my heart skipped a beat when i saw the fees.... so did they really finish everything within 5hrs? duke uses it's own oem sprockets or those after market ones'll do? the did chain is not x ring chain rite? i got my rk x ring for $110 nia...

is it possible to go to them for ducati specific servicing like changing of timing belts & valve clearance, the rest take to other bikeshops to do koz they're pretty standard components as other bikes.

]

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Jess1717@Apr 7 2006, 12:06 PM

Hmm.... so far I have never makan anyone who try 2 b funi with me leh.... I'm too kind to do so :cheeky:

Frankly, I prefer the roar of a M9... really loves the sound of their exhaust & hope tat i'll b able to get a M9 someday.....

But then I tot the stock pipe can roar like thunder... quiet exhaust.......? Yet to come across any... mayb they have modify it?

Mine ah... sound so so only lah.... I'm contented with mine... dun wana do anyting extra to her.... lazy to do so :cheeky:

dats wad i tot too... maybe he juz had his packing redone? there's definately no deep thumping sounds i loved so much... almost a quiet whir haha.:cheeky:

]

Originally posted by blackreplica@Apr 7 2006, 01:55 PM

hey johnathan thanks for the kind words, but you are too kind, check out motocafe's bike for an example of a REAL undertail exhaust system lol...mine is just regular highmount (although mounted a little higher than normal)

The pipes can be bought for 1350 from Kallang Cycle. The pillion doesnt have any trouble with heat due to the carbon fibre wrap which really insulates against heat very well. No matter how long you have been running the bike, you can always put your hand on the exhaust and it will only feel very warm at most. The sound was quite soft at first, but lately it just keeps getting louder and louder, it's almost scary. I was told that mufflers need to burn-in a while before they really produce the sound they are meant to and in this case, it was very true. Now its so loud that i have trouble believing it's still street-legal heheh....yes, they are 100% street legal (have the certificate and everything), this was the main reason i bought them...anyway i have a review of these pipes somewhere in the previous pages of this thread..you can go check it out if you want more info...cheers

ah ha bro... you not been clearing carbon @2nd link for sometime liao rite? it's normal to get loud through time as carbon tends to accumulate & choke the silencer packing... time to rev up ur baby and roar through 2nd link! :cheer:

though i still loved the original low mounts, the high mounts when viewed from the back looks very mean! as if the bike's threatening to blow carbon rite in ur face! hahah... yup saw dat monster sometime ago liao in forum... both bikes are sweet! but me due for 2a in 2months or so & seeing the super high charges, i guess i'll stick to my planet for now... a monster junior!

does kc have a lower labour charge?:confused:

]

Yo dude...based on yohji's breakdown i would definitely say yes, KC is a lot cheaper than the agent, but KC aren't authorised agents and Mike @ KC works VERY slowly (although he does a very good job so it's worth the wait) so you need to be patient. Pros and cons i guess. Since $$$ is an overriding concern he is my mechanic of choice.

Originally posted by jonathan543@Apr 7 2006, 05:43 PM

he juz fork out $240 juz for the labour fees liao. 4.8hrs at the rate of $50/hr! :giddy: my heart skipped a beat when i saw the fees.... so did they really finish everything within 5hrs? duke uses it's own oem sprockets or those after market ones'll do? the did chain is not x ring chain rite? i got my rk x ring for $110 nia...

is it possible to go to them for ducati specific servicing like changing of timing belts & valve clearance, the rest take to other bikeshops to do koz they're pretty standard components as other bikes.

johnathan543,

Yes you certainly can tell them what you wanna change and they will just change what you tell them to. For me, I requested them to do a general check of the bike and change whatever necessary (including common things like engine oil, spark plugs, etc) because I really have no idea if anything needs to be replaced (I didn't do any checkup for the bike ever since I took over it last year). BTW all these common things you can change at normal bike shops or even D.I.Y. But I changed them there since the bike is with them (might as well change together right?). I expected top-notch service since they are the authorised workshop and I am paying a premium but sadly I am wrong.

Well the no. of hours is their standard way of charging for a job. For example, it will always be X-hours if you change engine oil even if they take more than X-hours. I saw Ducati logo on the rear sprocket so I think it is from Ducati and hence, the 15% discount is applicable for my sprockets.

antonioshabirto,

Yah 15% discount .. hehe .. at least got discount. I did not ask them to change the timing belts but the mech said the belts are not in good condition so he changed them (since I asked him to change whatever necessary). I am using single disc in front. $100 for a single disc brake pad. I wonder what brake pads they are?

Hey Jess1717,

You are a REAL woman (if you are female). Haha even when bike is over-heat also think of shopping!

reheer,

I didn't know you are still taking class2a. Thought you were already riding the Monster. All the best for your class2a!

One question everyone. How much air must I squueze into the bike's tyres?? I always forget the number!!

c26492.jpg

After looking at the cist...dn think i can own one ducati liao....its a rich mans' play thing...:sweat:

Its really costly.......n the sum is like enough to do almost 20 times for my current bike servicing...

Life is Precious , You Only Live Once

OCT 2003 - Dec 2005 >>>> Honda Wave S 125

Dec 2005 - Present >>>> Honda Phamton TA200

Its Project time

yohji, try 34 psi on the front and 36 psi on the back, was advised to use this by kb who has posted here every now and then when i met him at KC. i like the setting, it works well for me. BTW nice bike you have, saw it when i dropped by the other day at minerva to get new plugs. do you have any tips on how you got your engine so clean or was it always that way?

Originally posted by G_S_J@Apr 8 2006, 01:22 AM

After looking at the cist...dn think i can own one ducati liao....its a rich mans' play thing...:sweat:

Its really costly.......n the sum is like enough to do almost 20 times for my current bike servicing...

actually you cannot compare like that... cos...

Parts replaced

------------------

Front sprocket change - $72

Rear sprocket change - $116

Oil filter - $20

Front brake pad - $100

Timing belt x 2 - $160!!

15% discount for original Ducati parts - $70.20

DID chain - $125

Castrol R4 engine oil x 3 - $60

Spark plugs x 2 - $16

Motul fork oil - $23

Motul brake fluid - $8

Workmanship Charges

----------------------------

Engine oil and filter change 0.3hrs - $15

Front fork oil change 0.7hrs - $35

Fork overhaul 2.8hrs - $140

Final drive (dont know what's this) 0.8hrs - $40

Front brake pads change 0.2hrs - $10

Add everything up - $913.29 w/ 5% GST

Excluding all the things that you don't change all the time... regular maintenance is only $96...

For the oil i was told that Monster don't need to use fully-syn oil... but to change the oil very regularly, cos its an air cooled, even syn oil will break down quite fast... so oil i just use those $14 per bottle... and its 2.5litres only... so my shop keeps the 0.5 for me...

plugs $5 each...

so i spend about $50++ only..

i don go to minerva... cos they charged my friend $50 to change oil for mito... which is only like 1litre of oil...

Yohji I think they either puti n Brembo pads or EBC HH... EBC HH is about $90++ then again if the pads got discount also, means that its brembo pads lor... lol...

From then to now...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/solley/bikes.jpg

Originally posted by blackreplica@Apr 8 2006, 02:34 AM

yohji, try 34 psi on the front and 36 psi on the back, was advised to use this by kb who has posted here every now and then when i met him at KC. i like the setting, it works well for me. BTW nice bike you have, saw it when i dropped by the other day at minerva to get new plugs. do you have any tips on how you got your engine so clean or was it always that way?

i was told to use Simple Green... by the ppl in the Ducati Monster forum...

I found that its available in SG...

simplegreen.com.sg

BUT... the shops on the site don have stock for the 2litre bottle... Except for the warehouse.. which does BULK sale only...

The ang mo kio one is getting for me... coming in on Monday...

The New Industrial on has the 5gallon one... They can get the 2litre one by Monday also...

Its $28 for the 2litre bottle...

someone else also recommended this thing called

MAG Cleaner

its slightly acidic... but its supposed to be very good... but NEVER leave it to set...

http://www.eagleone.com/pages/products/pro...d=1001&cat=5006

I haven't tried any of these yet.. hahaha... Will go down and get my Simple Green on wed...

From then to now...

i agreed air cooled monsters' basic maintainance still lower than most other bikes in the same cc class. simply koz it's aircooled(save on coolant changes & corrosion problems in time), less engine oil koz of v twin engine, half the count of spark plugs compared to inline4s.

but should some wear & tear components need replacing, it's a killer to replace. haiz. how i wish i have the dough for the new 06 m4 or m7... at least can have couple of yrs of trouble free riding... :thumb:

]

Originally posted by blackreplica@Apr 8 2006, 12:55 PM

thanks for the help yohji! BTW which simple green product are you referring to? The all-purpose cleaner is it? Consumer or industrial one? Am quite keen to try this thing out

Yeah me too :bounce:

Born to be Wild : Steppenwolf (1968)

Yohji > Most of the things you did can be done elsewhere. Its funny they charged you 0.8 hours to change a chain and sprocket, but didn't charge you for changing the most difficult task of all, the timing belts.

but you did save alittle on parts, and take that away from the labour charges and "slightly" more expensive cost of parts, you'll actually save only alittlebit if you've done it elsewhere.

Yes, timing belts costs $160 for a pair. For Superbikes it costs $160 EACH. Bike must be cooled down overnight to properly tension the belts.

consumer and industrial is the same i think... just different size... i think...

its the all purpose one...

in the states got a new one..

Extreme Simple Green.. safe on aluminium...

The one we get is the standard simple green...

here's a link on engine cleaning using simple green... and there's a warning on it...

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php...ic,28490.0.html

From then to now...

Originally posted by Sols@Apr 8 2006, 08:51 AM

actually you cannot compare like that... cos...

Excluding all the things that you don't change all the time... regular maintenance is only $96...

For the oil i was told that Monster don't need to use fully-syn oil... but to change the oil very regularly, cos its an air cooled, even syn oil will break down quite fast... so oil i just use those $14 per bottle... and its 2.5litres only... so my shop keeps the 0.5 for me...

plugs $5 each...

so i spend about $50++ only..

i don go to minerva... cos they charged my friend $50 to change oil for mito... which is only like 1litre of oil...

Yohji I think they either puti n Brembo pads or EBC HH... EBC HH is about $90++ then again if the pads got discount also, means that its brembo pads lor... lol...

Thanks for these important info.....it rekindles my hope in owning a super machine...:thumb:

Life is Precious , You Only Live Once

OCT 2003 - Dec 2005 >>>> Honda Wave S 125

Dec 2005 - Present >>>> Honda Phamton TA200

Its Project time

GSJ,

Don't worry you still can own a Ducati if you know where to save $$ on. For me I am a noob that's why I went to the agent, playing safe but paying a high price. Anyway it is an experience for me lah. Once bitten, twice shy.

blackreplica,

Thanks for your compliments man. How come you go there to buy spark plugs? Should go cheaper places. Heh. Thanks for the info on tyre pressure. I went to pump my tyres today. Anyone using Meztler Sportec M1 tyres? So funny, I cannot find any markings on it that says how much to pump and there is also no triangle marking that tells me where to check my tyre's thread depth. As for the engine area, I find it quite dirty already but it is cleaner than older monsters I saw. The engine has been kept in this state when I got the bike. There are still stains on it. I tried so many ways (autosol, engine cleaner, brasso, bike polish, kerosene, WD40, even tooth paste!) but still can't get rid of them. Maybe must try Simple Green recommended by Sols.

Sols,

I think it's original pads from Ducati. I asked Mike (Kallang Cycle) and he said yes, the Ducati pads can cost that much for a single front disc! I went to Mike today to ask him help me fabricate brackets for my bellypan and he helped me fixed my carbon airscoops f.oc. Nice of him. Can see that he is REALLY busy. One guy running here and there, attending to a few attention-seeking customers haha. After that I went to Motorworld and found that the most expensive brake pad is only around $85. I also agree that my 3-yrs old Monster do not need fully-synthetic oil. I think it might too thin. Better to use sem-synthethic as it is thicker? But the oil sure looks dam clean. Don't think I'll get my 0.5L of oil back. I also don't think they use the whole bottle of fork oil. Do give us a quick review of your Simple Green when you have tried it out!

johnathan,

If you want to get a Monster and keep for long, get a bigger cc one lah. The engine sounds so much deeper and you got much more power. I am starting to find my 400cc under-powered hehe.

neo,

I refered to last year's (April 2005) servicing done by ex-owner. The timing belts only cost $66 each before 15% off. So I think the price went up. I think they did not state everything down in my receipt. Ask you something, do they need to tune anything after changing the timing belts? Cos I don't see any tuning stated in the receipt. Bike must be cooled down to tension the belts. I see. Thanks for the info.

c26492.jpg

Originally posted by yohji@Apr 8 2006, 06:09 PM

I went to Mike today to ask him help me fabricate brackets for my bellypan and he helped me fixed my carbon airscoops f.oc. Nice of him. Can see that he is REALLY busy. One guy running here and there, attending to a few attention-seeking customers haha.

Yeah Mike is really nice. He will try to save money for you if there is no need to spend them. Sometimes he would fix little things foc.

I went there this morning too, sent my Monster in to Replica for his new clothing :p

http://home2.pacific.net.sg/~hwee_li/avatar/vespa.gif

Originally posted by rehdeer@Apr 8 2006, 06:58 PM

Yeah Mike is really nice. He will try to save money for you if there is no need to spend them. Sometimes he would fix little things foc.

I went there this morning too, sent my Monster in to Replica for his new clothing :p

Uh huh!! I used to spray my Runner there too! I saw a yellow Monster outside RSP. So that's your bike! You spraying the whole bike including the frame etc or just the tank and front mud guard? I went there to spray lacquer over the bellypan, airscoops and also re-sprayed my seat cover. The carbon fibre parts are very shiny and nicely done! But I find that the seat cover's paint is too thick.

Woah can't wait to see your new paint job. Same original design? Remember to post it up here when it is ready!

c26492.jpg

Hi guys, michael is really a very nice guy . and as rehdeer puts it...he doesnt try to chop you...in fact surprisingly he tries his best to recommend stuff that'll save u a few bucks here and there...

eg when i changed tires...i was looking at BT070 or something like that...but he suggested metzelers mz-01 ..he said same standard but 20 bucks cheaper...really nice of him.

and yes minerva's servicing is expensive(spent 750 on my ex-monster there) but it was worthed it i guess...i could feel the difference.starts first time ever since the service(used to take 2-3 starts to crank her up...ride was very jerky b4 servicing too)

but u wan a duke u got to be ready for things like these mah... no pain no gain !

enjoy riding yr monsters ! i miss her so bad ! :cheer:

yo guys... just incase anyone needs to change their batts soon...

Yuasa MF YT12B-BS - LAB Japan$90-95... Indonesia $60-65... (Indo no stock)

GPR YT12B-BS - Motorworld $70 (Japan)

The YT14B-BS fits also... BUT... cannot find leh... lol...

The YT series are slightly smaller... but they carry more cold cranking amps... So yeah... these are AGM batts...

NOTE: its YT__B-BS

YT12A-BS DOES NOT FIT

YTX_____ DOES NOT FIT

From then to now...

Originally posted by yohji@Apr 8 2006, 09:29 PM

Uh huh!! I used to spray my Runner there too! I saw a yellow Monster outside RSP. So that's your bike! You spraying the whole bike including the frame etc or just the tank and front mud guard? I went there to spray lacquer over the bellypan, airscoops and also re-sprayed my seat cover. The carbon fibre parts are very shiny and nicely done! But I find that the seat cover's paint is too thick.

Woah can't wait to see your new paint job. Same original design? Remember to post it up here when it is ready!

Not spraying the whole frame, that would cost a lot! Not ready to invest that much into the Monster yet, after all, I haven't started riding it, not sure I would like it and keep it.

I'm spraying half the tank red, the other half green and a white stripe in the middle -> Italian flag colour!

heh just kidding... I'm spraying it the same colour plus a black stripe. Hope it would turn out well. Anyone know where I can buy the windshield (the one shown in the picture is cracked and I've thrown it away)

http://www.picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11667/normal_monster05.jpg

Originally posted by rehdeer@Apr 9 2006, 10:51 AM

Not spraying the whole frame, that would cost a lot! Not ready to invest that much into the Monster yet, after all, I haven't started riding it, not sure I would like it and keep it.

I'm spraying half the tank red, the other half green and a white stripe in the middle -> Italian flag colour!

heh just kidding... I'm spraying it the same colour plus a black stripe. Hope it would turn out well. Anyone know where I can buy the windshield (the one shown in the picture is cracked and I've thrown it away)

http://www.picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11667/normal_monster05.jpg

:giddy: :giddy:

can you still get the windshield back?

if its cracked, it still can be fixed!!

From then to now...

Originally posted by Sols@Apr 9 2006, 11:57 AM

:giddy: :giddy:

can you still get the windshield back?

if its cracked, it still can be fixed!!

erm... i threw it away when i got the monster in Jan, it was an eye sore :sweat: