SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Gen2 OR KIA Rio

Hi all brothers (and sisters if any), would like to enquire from yr experience, expertise, advice and know-how on the scenario that if really wana get an OPC, so far the cheaper and 'still-can-see' ones i've shortlisted down to Gen2 and Kia Rio.

Discounted Picanto and other 1.1L models, hoping to get at least a 1.3L u see.... :smile:

Yr invaluable advice pls....:sweat: (Sorry for any ignorance as I'm new to cars.)

2000 - NSR 150 SP (FR 9409)

2001 - VTEC I (FR 9922)

2003 - R1 '03 (FW 5762)

2004 - VTEC II (FV *8)

Nice nos. for VTECs... Fated to ride VTEC :cheeky:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both have no resale value

somemore u getting OPC..even no resale value :sweat:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4534/scootlogo1oo7.th.jpghttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t50/who_noe/Untitled-Stitched-151.jpg

SSOG(SBF Scooter Owner Group)since june 2003

Hi thanks for comment bros....

who noe: is resale value very impt? from the way i see most cars go for scrap? other than resale, what other disadvantages and advantages?

ablaze69: understood the cc, was meaning hope to get 1.3L at least.. :smile:

Pls advise....

2001 - VTEC I (FR 9922)

2003 - R1 '03 (FW 5762)

2004 - VTEC II (FV *8)

a gen2 will be a nice choice here. Given parts and accessories support is just across the causeway, so greatly lowers the running cost. styling is pretty nice too. I believe among the cars listed, gen2 has the best fuel efficiency.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n145/henry_fy7d/untitled1-1.jpg

OPC car you can push to ~1.5l car, since there is a discount of $800 for road tax.

between gen2 and rio, i will take Rio. personally i prefer korean over msian cars.

Also gen2 looks like a cheapo spinoff of mazda 3. (no offence though)

the new Rio looks much bigger than Gen2 and i will appreciate the boot space.

Anyway, the new Rio looks quite good, and the rear passenger seats look much spacious. (i think the space is comparable with Sunny/Lancer)

you can also consider getz,lancer(M) or aveo.

Thanks for contributing......

R.C: Is chevrolet's fuel efficiency good? heard its drinking..?

83henry: haha.. I was thinking abt that too... tks...

minorsage: thanks for the rd tax reminder.. i missed that. How much is the rd tax for 1.3L, 1.4L, 1.5L and 1.6L? agreed also that the design looks similar but i like mazda3's head n tail lights. What abt Rio's FC? Any disadvantages for Rio?

How about insurance for a 30yo with 1 yr driving experience (7 years riding experience)?

2001 - VTEC I (FR 9922)

2003 - R1 '03 (FW 5762)

2004 - VTEC II (FV *8)

Originally posted by ongwh@May 02, 2007 03:24 am

minorsage: thanks for the rd tax reminder.. i missed that. How much is the rd tax for 1.3L, 1.4L, 1.5L and 1.6L? agreed also that the design looks similar but i like mazda3's head n tail lights. What abt Rio's FC? Any disadvantages for Rio?

How about insurance for a 30yo with 1 yr driving experience (7 years riding experience)?

the min rd tax u have to pay is $50 excluding radio lic... 1.5L u will be paying slightly more than $50 and 1.6L will be around $150... in addition to this savings, u will also get additional discount for ur insurance premiumn... for AIG will get 15%

an enemy of an enemy is your fren

for Rio, i have only test drove the 1.6l version before.

i will say the power is surprising good, almost effortless on accelerating and overtaking. (trust me on this.)

only after the test drive, i then know the 0-100km/h was 10.2 secs.

power steering is feather-light.

cabin is roomy too.

engine is very quiet, but i feel my friend's 1.4 is more quieter than the 1.6 variant.

maybe you can take a quick look at this review.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onem...o_1_4_test.html

Originally posted by jia_yvon@May 02, 2007 11:37 am

of course resale value is important. be it they scrap or sell, u are still gonna sell to dealer rite. so is resale value important ?

Oic... understood-ed..... Thanks....

2001 - VTEC I (FR 9922)

2003 - R1 '03 (FW 5762)

2004 - VTEC II (FV *8)

Originally posted by jia_yvon@May 02, 2007 11:40 am

u noe where does the 17k for opc deduct from? aniway i suggest u hyundai getz 1.3 or 1.1.

Isn't the 17k deducted from the price when you buy the car stating as an OPC?:confused:

2001 - VTEC I (FR 9922)

2003 - R1 '03 (FW 5762)

2004 - VTEC II (FV *8)

Guest FireSpitter

I have owned the new Rio for more than a year now. Fuel economy is a plus despite my heavy right foot, always full capacity load and +30kg of soundproofing material & car audio system.

Insurance I got through my own lobang was $500+/- cheaper than the agent (Coincidentally also my friend who gave me a special deal on the Rio)!! No regrets purchase!

Guest FireSpitter

I totally disagree on the resale value discussion. Obviously "resale" value here is "low" because it is a low value purchase.

For example, your car costs $25k (Excluding OMV), your loss is $2500 per year if you own the car for 10 years. If for example, you sell the car in 5 years time at $10k (For example again), you have the "low resale" amount and would have lost $15k (Excluding interest).

Now picture a more expensive car with "better" resale value that costs $50k (Exclude OMV) and you sold it at $25k at the 5th year. Yes "resale value" is better but I'm sure you can see that your losses are also greater because more money is involved here. Take note that once interest rates are added in, the figures are escalated. So is "Higher resale" value really the better scenario always?

actually i have tell this to many of my friends who keep asking around which car is good

my view is this

1)make a shortlist of the cars u interested in

2)after making a shortlist than go n test drive the cars

after which u can make ur decision cos u r the 1 who is driving the car,u r the 1 paying for the monthly installment..

no point listening to friends in the end bought a car which u dun really like or have tat kind of feel :cheeky:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4534/scootlogo1oo7.th.jpghttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t50/who_noe/Untitled-Stitched-151.jpg

SSOG(SBF Scooter Owner Group)since june 2003

Thanks alot Firespitter. If im getting Rio, wonder if can get the same cheaper insurance like you.... haha... any lobang.... ;p

About the resale value, my fren actually said the same thing exactly like you, he was saying why pay more every month when you wont know what happens in future with regards to the resale value of the car, it may drop drastically as with real example of his car. Thats why he said be more realistic and concerned with the current situation better. :sweat:

2001 - VTEC I (FR 9922)

2003 - R1 '03 (FW 5762)

2004 - VTEC II (FV *8)

Hi who noe, good suggestion, tthats why shortlisted to these two models. Just wana hear from owners to see what to look out for when buying....

2001 - VTEC I (FR 9922)

2003 - R1 '03 (FW 5762)

2004 - VTEC II (FV *8)