SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] Apple, Mac, and iPod

redbeacon

Passionate PC user for more than 10 years and now a IT professional.

Used a mac for a month 2 years and have since switched w/o looking back.

Nuff said :D

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/4974036153_c36bbcded6.jpg

Life isn't all about one's self...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it's the little things that brings a touch of ease into my everyday computing, and I couldn't say more about the advantage of introducing a Mac into my life.

Windows was a workhorse (and a platform to gain experience on) for me during and after I left Secondary school, but after I tried a Mac, I started to realize that it could do things easily; something that Windows users have to intervene too much just to make their computer work. Goes to show the Apple engineers really understands what their users want and like about their computers, and in turn makes computers that people would actually want -- and like -- to use.

;)

Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum

Biker nerd • Windows • Apple Mac • Android user

"Kick up your sidestand bro, let's ride..."

redbeacon - some fren tell me it work like normal mircosoft if u bought the 3user then u can share / sell to ur frens. If u bought 1 user than only can use by 1 person. I dont know how true izzit. I try to get some info on hwz but ppl there dont seem to be bother to tell me. I mean i know is a senstive issue in the forum but i just wan to know izzit true anot.. haiz... on hwz ppl seem to be too rich everything on apple is orginal or at least worth $50 and above.. i head ppl buy keyboard pad for $59.90 where u can get an average one at $29.90 or buy off from ebay $5bucks.

There is someone out there for me

I know there is someone out there

I know she is waiting so patiently yeah

Can you tell me her name?

(Somebody tell me her name)

This life-long search is gonna drive me insane

How does she laugh?

How does she cry?

What's the color of her eyes?

Does she even realize I'm here?

Where is she? Where is she? Where is she?

Where is this beautiful girl?Who is she? Who is she?

Who is gonna complete my world?

(J. Roman & Soluna 'Where are you')

iOS 4.2 is out

Hi All

Today Apple have made iOS 4.2 software update available for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. It brings over 100 new features from iOS 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 to iPad including Multitasking, Folders, Unified Inbox, Game Center, AirPlay® and AirPrint.

With iOS 4.2, we've brought comprehensive Asia language support to iPad, and Find My iPhone is free now.

Feature Highlights:

Important Note about Find My iPhone

- Now user create a free Find My iPhone account on any iPhone 4, iPad, or iPod touch (4th generation) running iOS 4.2. The free Find My iPhone account can then be used to enable Find My iPhone on other devices running iOS 4.2.

- More info about set up: http://www.apple.com/iphone/find-my-iphone-setup/

- FAQ at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4436

- User purchase MobileMe just for Find My iPhone feature can request a refund, more at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2174

For more information about iOS 4.2

http://www.apple.com/ios/

Requirement:

iOS 4.2 is available for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch 2nd/3rd/4th Generation and iPad.

Some features like Game Center, FaceTime etc may not be available on all devices.

in God we trust... all others pay CASH...

11 March 2010: Passed 2B

25 March 2010: FZ 150i (Athena)

06 November 2010: YZF-R125 (Calista)

Living in hope for what tomorrow will bring...

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/marcuskoh81/Calista/IMG_0135-1.jpg

Is it the new mac we buy now comes with dual os boot? So cool?

Bro,

Ever since Apple has switched their computers to run on Intel processors starting back in 2006, this dual boot capability exists ever since.

What are you waiting for? :p

iOS 4.2 is out

Hi All

Today Apple have made iOS 4.2 software update available for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. It brings over 100 new features from iOS 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 to iPad including Multitasking, Folders, Unified Inbox, Game Center, AirPlay® and AirPrint.

With iOS 4.2, we've brought comprehensive Asia language support to iPad, and Find My iPhone is free now.

I'm swooning over the AirPrint and the AirPlay capability. Excellent stuff indeed.

Aiya i m still using the mac g4, my longest lasting notebook compared to all the stupid windows os, all cant last beyond 3years average. I ll get the new desktop version for my coming project works, need bigger screen to work more efficiently. I need windows for my excel programming, mac still not as efficient in this apps as windows. All other things i ll switch to mac. Maybe sg dollar strong now, prices are looking good now.

*人 在 江 湖 *敲 锣 打 鼓 *

嘴讲兰派爽! The World would be a better place if karma exists.

Latest (and disappointing) update:

Apple has just told developers that AirPrint -- the latest app that lets you wirelessly print documents on your iOS* device to a printer (via a computer) -- has been cancelled.

AirPrint'ing now only works on five selected HP printers equipped with WiFi.

*iOS = iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone

finally i got macbook pro.. it is amazing.. although i took 2hrs plus to figure out how to use. Anyway still having problem on how to del files, enlarge my screen and etc.. (it sound really stupid) but seriously it is so fast and personalise to the user. No wonder ppl say once a mac user never turn back to window.

How does she laugh?

How does she cry?

btw guys.. i thought imac already upgrade their processer to i5 but seem to be like only 15inch macbook pro is having the spec. Those who go for 13inch is still on inter 2 duo, it sound bad news for me.. (abit cheated) but still i love my MAC!!!

How does she laugh?

How does she cry?

btw guys.. i thought imac already upgrade their processer to i5 but seem to be like only 15inch macbook pro is having the spec. Those who go for 13inch is still on inter 2 duo, it sound bad news for me.. (abit cheated) but still i love my MAC!!!

iMac (if you're talking about the desktop flatscreen computer) has i5.

There's even i7, but for some reason, it's not listed on the Apple Online Store.

Regarding notebooks, the reason why the smaller 13-inch MacBook Pro is still stuck under the old Intel Core 2 Duo technology is because of Intel licensing restrictions. Apple had no choice but to stick to the abovementioned.

There's a very in-depth technical reason why, but I excluded it for the sake of making it simple.

I'm a 13" MBP user...so far so good :) It runs along pretty good and no slowdowns as compared to my old (and horrendously slow) PC

Edited by redbeacon

sorry i mean i am on MBP... well nothing bad abt it.. but just feel abit 'cheated' because we cant enjoy the latest software.

anyway do u encounter current flow on the palm rest area.. i feel that some electric current is on the palm area when i charge and use at this same time. Is this normal?

How does she laugh?

How does she cry?

sorry i mean i am on MBP... well nothing bad abt it.. but just feel abit 'cheated' because we cant enjoy the latest software.

anyway do u encounter current flow on the palm rest area.. i feel that some electric current is on the palm area when i charge and use at this same time. Is this normal?

Known issue.

And i agree that it's shockingly annoying (pun intended)

Are you using the 2-pin or the 3-pin plug. Try using the 3-pin one.

Also buy good quality multi-power strips or those 3-hub power plugs, use those to power your MBP and see if the issue goes away.

I have an iMac computer at home. Aluminium as well and it gives uncomfortable static shocks whenever I touch it. But my MBP is okay, dunno why.

Known issue.

And i agree that it's shockingly annoying (pun intended)

Are you using the 2-pin or the 3-pin plug. Try using the 3-pin one.

Also buy good quality multi-power strips or those 3-hub power plugs, use those to power your MBP and see if the issue goes away.

I have an iMac computer at home. Aluminium as well and it gives uncomfortable static shocks whenever I touch it. But my MBP is okay, dunno why.

there was a firmware issue released not so long ago aimed at resolving this issue

might want to ensure that your updates are done

along with the update, u would also need to do a PRAM and NVRAM reset

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

followed by a SMC reset

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

not sure exactly how it works, but it did resolve the issue with my MBP'08

good luck

Thanks bro, I think I'll try it on the iMac. Don't like getting zapped when reaching behind the computer just to plug in something.

• 4 weeks later...

forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2978460&page=10

anybody aware of this price difference between HK and sg? Like that i also tempted to go hk holiday and get my mac there better. Sg really suckers' paradise.

*人 在 江 湖 *敲 锣 打 鼓 *

forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2978460&page=10

anybody aware of this price difference between HK and sg? Like that i also tempted to go hk holiday and get my mac there better. Sg really suckers' paradise.

ah bro. so u followed this thread as well. i did too....n did my own research. it seems that the comparison doesn't pale far from getting from malaysia. well, my comparison is this. the standard 13" MBP wif apple care n mac office 2011. HK is normal price and MY is education price. the difference i get between them is SGD$99 if buy from online. the difference is, one is overseas n the other is across the causeway. if in HK, either u walkin to buy from their retailers shop or order online and get it sent to someone you know in HK n when you go there, get from them. if for MY, the same procedure but difference is, one u fly there, the other, you ride there...heheheh.......i am thinking to get online on MY with education price.....

oh, n another thing is, istudio has their promo on trade-ins so if you have old notebooks, u can trade them in to offset a new purchase.

"when you open your mind to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth........" - Walter Bishop

thumb-yamaha-semakin-di-depan.jpg

Same, i switched to a 13" MBP for 2 months and really loving it.. I also have a lot of documents to write and have to do my work out most of the time. The MBP battery life is so long, 7 hours then I'll have the need to charge. Really save a lot of time searching for places with power points.

The only thing which i don't really like is that words and excel on mac not really as good as windows. Lucky there is dual boot and I always type by docs on mac before changing into windows for formatting. Mac is really dynamic cos of the dual boot function, really need not worry about not having windows function, mac battery life and usability on the go.

It's light too. Lighter then my normal 14" notebook with the heavy battery and power supply i have to carry around. After my 3 years with this baby, i'll confirm trade this in and get another mac. I'll also change my desktop to a imac in the future.

~ Future Ride ~

CBR600rr :thumb:

~ Current Drive ~

Kia Cerato Forte SX 1.6 SJU

~ Previous Rides ~

1. Spark 135 FBA | 2. NSR 150 SP FS | 3. Yamaha x1 FY | 4. Honda s4 verS FP

never saw this thread till now...

so here goes...

Hi... My name is Antartica... and I am a Mac User...

hahaha... feels like some sort of Alco Anon meeting :p LOL

anyways, a very short history first...

i started using PC's before the 286 was around :p

you had to boot up uding 5.25" floppies... HAHAHA running DOS 1.0!

er... that was some thing like in... '82? or so?

no HDD... 64KB RAM was like you were GAWD!!! and anything you needed to store was in a 40 foot container full of floppies...

so from there... moved on to 286... 386... windows 2.0... then 3.0 then all the usual... MS s/w stuff

and by then Mac had gotten a reputation for themselves whereby it was for "fanboys" heheh... and posers and peeps who actually needed the power

so i never bothered

then... around 2 years back, i started playing with a macbook and i was like... creaming my pants... just with the start up and shut down! it gave me a woody!!!

not long after i got my 15" Macbook Pro late '09... then the iPhone 4... and recently for my birthday a iPad 16gb wifi/3G

people can say what they like about Mac's and the users... but there is one reason why it's soooooooo "niche"

if you really consider the "life" (in most cases) and stability of the OS platform. it outlasts any regular PC based machine and in the long run, it is more cost effective :)

Grounded... :/

ah bro. so u followed this thread as well. i did too....n did my own research. it seems that the comparison doesn't pale far from getting from malaysia. well, my comparison is this. the standard 13" MBP wif apple care n mac office 2011. HK is normal price and MY is education price. the difference i get between them is SGD$99 if buy from online. the difference is, one is overseas n the other is across the causeway. if in HK, either u walkin to buy from their retailers shop or order online and get it sent to someone you know in HK n when you go there, get from them. if for MY, the same procedure but difference is, one u fly there, the other, you ride there...heheheh.......i am thinking to get online on MY with education price.....

oh, n another thing is, istudio has their promo on trade-ins so if you have old notebooks, u can trade them in to offset a new purchase.

how come malaysia purchase must log in to buy, cant i just walk in to a mac reseller shop in KL to buy. I'll be going there next month.

To all mac converts, its true, i was a advent pc user because i use extensive excel programming, mac really cant do excel very well. But the os stability is legendary, my old mac g4 is still alive and kicking. Btw, does mac have a auto disk defragmentation or what? Why i never have to bother about disk space utility like for pc? Pc's os becomes retarded after 3 years as standard.

*人 在 江 湖 *敲 锣 打 鼓 *

how come malaysia purchase must log in to buy, cant i just walk in to a mac reseller shop in KL to buy. I'll be going there next month.

To all mac converts, its true, i was a advent pc user because i use extensive excel programming, mac really cant do excel very well. But the os stability is legendary, my old mac g4 is still alive and kicking. Btw, does mac have a auto disk defragmentation or what? Why i never have to bother about disk space utility like for pc? Pc's os becomes retarded after 3 years as standard.

You might wanna see this interesting tech document from Apple:

Apple Support Article HT1375

In short, Apple says light-to-medium computing users don't need to defragment or optimize.

But if you're a heavy user (ie you edit and then produce very big video files), or if you have a very good reason to, try MicroMat's TechTools, or iDefrag (Payware)

In actual fact, u can jus walk in any apple reseller in MY n get it but e price diff not that much. If u get online store of apple MY, u can use e education discount which in e end will make more difference.

For mac, as it is unix bases, no defrag or disk space utitlity is required as it organised its sectors n bytes automatically. N wif e present intel arhitecture, msoffice is working much better.

"when you open your mind to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth........" - Walter Bishop

Can the new Mac MS Office read excel.xlsx files? This one very important. My current mac and linux also cannot read those files, read excel.xls only.

*人 在 江 湖 *敲 锣 打 鼓 *

Can the new Mac MS Office read excel.xlsx files? This one very important. My current mac and linux also cannot read those files, read excel.xls only.

iWork, Office for Mac 2008 and 2011 can all read and edit xlsx files

only Office for Mac 2008 and 2011 can save as xlsx

Yes, any version 2008 n above uses .xlsx, .docx, .pptx. Jus like its PC counterpart.