SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] Apple, Mac, and iPod

redbeacon

whoopeee, mac go. I just discovered Mac has disk utility function, maybe can find disk defragmentation here? I just saw format, erase, raid buttons. All i dare not touch. WOnder what is raid? And disk partition on mac is more user friendly than PC.

*人 在 江 湖 *敲 锣 打 鼓 *

嘴讲兰派爽! The World would be a better place if karma exists.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bro, RAID lets you take 2 or more disks for redundancy.

Layman's terms, when one disk becomes partially corrupted/entire disk fails, the lost data can be reconstructed from the other working disks.

There's no disk defragmentation on Disk Utility bro, heh :)

Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum

Biker nerd • Windows • Apple Mac • Android user

"Kick up your sidestand bro, let's ride..."

how many here are using the iPad?

I know... it's an oversized iPhone / iTouch

but it's great for quick web browsing and games...

and unless i have actual "work" to do, i don't bother with the MBP (or PC for work) :)

Grounded... :/

whoopeee, mac go. I just discovered Mac has disk utility function, maybe can find disk defragmentation here? I just saw format, erase, raid buttons. All i dare not touch. WOnder what is raid? And disk partition on mac is more user friendly than PC.

like bro beacon says....u can setup the raid to mirror ur disk. so if the main one fails....u can use the mirror as backup.....when use this, always need 2 harddisks....

"when you open your mind to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth........" - Walter Bishop

thumb-yamaha-semakin-di-depan.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys.. do u know how to save picture as a jpg file from flickr (protected image) to ur mac desktop. I like 1 of the picture but i ask the owner for to send me but seem to be for months no respone so i just thought there shld be some other way. I try DeskLickr but it doesnt work or maybe i dont know how to use.

There is someone out there for me

I know there is someone out there

I know she is waiting so patiently yeah

Can you tell me her name?

(Somebody tell me her name)

This life-long search is gonna drive me insane

How does she laugh?

How does she cry?

What's the color of her eyes?

Does she even realize I'm here?

Where is she? Where is she? Where is she?

Where is this beautiful girl?Who is she? Who is she?

Who is gonna complete my world?

(J. Roman & Soluna 'Where are you')

hey guys.. do u know how to save picture as a jpg file from flickr (protected image) to ur mac desktop. I like 1 of the picture but i ask the owner for to send me but seem to be for months no respone so i just thought there shld be some other way. I try DeskLickr but it doesnt work or maybe i dont know how to use.

If you're using Firefox, this browser comes with a tool called "Page Info".

Look at the following link on how to use it to grab the protected photo that you want:

http://hackapc.com/how-to-copy-protected-images-from-flickr.html

Hope this helps.

I will getting a 15" Mac book notebook very soon, but I cannot decide between the Mac book or the Mac book Pro.

The $300+ price difference is not an issue for me, anyone can offer me a final advice?

I tend to bend towards the snow white Mac book but the Mac pro is a bit lighter, faster and should be scratch proof as pointed out by the salesman.

Also should I wait for the IT show to buy so that I can get some freebies such as mouse or something.

It doesn't make any difference whether a motorcyclist has the right-of-way or not, the rider is the one most likely to get hurt.

http://www.motorcycle-accidents.com/bike_photo/4-21-02_b.jpg

I will getting a 15" Mac book notebook very soon, but I cannot decide between the Mac book or the Mac book Pro.

The $300+ price difference is not an issue for me, anyone can offer me a final advice?

I tend to bend towards the snow white Mac book but the Mac pro is a bit lighter, faster and should be scratch proof as pointed out by the salesman.

Also should I wait for the IT show to buy so that I can get some freebies such as mouse or something.

Bro, not too sure what the salesman had recommended you but here are the laptops

The thin MacBook Air comes in 11.6, and 13"

The MacBook (white) is 13".

The MacBook Pro (aluminium) comes in 13, 15, and 17"

What the "Pro" laptops has over the other MacBooks is the lighted keyboard, a step up in power to handle games, image editing, and video production. I've pulled out this from the web from a person that explains the differences (and worth) on getting/not getting the MacBook 13"/MacBook Pro 13"

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/mac-platform/articles/61978.aspx

I've actually accidentally rubbed my MBP on a concrete floor and the bottom part of it suffered some cosmetic scratches.

For freebies, sometimes it's the discretion of the salesman or the entire store to give more. Best to inquire; you may get the freebies.

Thanks redbeacon,

Thank you, that is a very comprehensive comparison between Mac book and Mac book Pro.

I am considering the 13" Mac book or Mac book Pro only, don't see the need and also not willing to pay so much to get the 15" ones due to the huge price differences.

Read about the "Firewire 800 port", is this something like a USB port but at much higher data transfer speed so that a external hard disc or video cam corder can be connected to the laptop?

I am not into playing games, my priority is more on high speed internet, photos editing/storage and words and excel for work.

My only worry is the 250GB harddrive, am I able to expand this when I run out of space? or must I connect a external hard drive?

Edited by ReBornBikeR

It doesn't make any difference whether a motorcyclist has the right-of-way or not, the rider is the one most likely to get hurt.

I am not into playing games, my priority is more on high speed internet, photos editing/storage and words and excel for work.

A MacBook (white) is powerful to do all of the above, yet slightly easier on the wallet.

Read about the "Firewire 800 port", is this something like a USB port but at much higher data transfer speed so that a external hard disc or video cam corder can be connected to the laptop?

Firewire 800 kinda looks like your average USB port, but from what I know, USB is popular nowadays and it's everywhere (albeit half the speed of FW800).

Because of that very few devices come with FW800.

Despite that, Apple chose to keep this technology onto their computers because FW800 is used on digital video cameras and that Apple computers being exceptional video-editing savvy product they chose to keep the FW800 port on their computers.

As I write this, I haven't touched my FW800 in a year now, I couldn't find a use for it :p

My only worry is the 250GB harddrive, am I able to expand this when I run out of space? or must I connect a external hard drive?

Yes you are able to.

Like all other laptops, the hard drive inside the MacBook uses the 2.5-inch Hard Drive standard. Simply buy a 2.5" hard drive of a higher GB capacity, and swap out the old one.

A word of caution if you are going to DIY, this may void warranty (i.e. default 1 year warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan).

A suitable alternative for that is an external HDD.

Hope these help.

Edited by redbeacon

A MacBook (white) is powerful to do all of the above, yet slightly easier on the wallet.

It comes with only 2GB ram and logic board from the 13-inch MBP

Yes you are able to.

Like all other laptops, the hard drive inside the MacBook uses the 2.5-inch Hard Drive standard. Simply buy a 2.5" hard drive of a higher GB capacity, and swap out the old one.

A word of caution if you are going to DIY, this may void warranty (i.e. default 1 year warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan).

A suitable alternative for that is an external HDD.

Hope these help.

all u need to do is to hang on to your old HD.. slot it back in if you have any problems that will require it to be sent in for AppleCare

there's no "Warrenty Void" seal of any kind in the laptops

swap out the Hard Discs, Clone the content and work with larger memory space without loosing any of your content and settings...

done it quite a few times..

Most commonly used functions in Disc Utility are the verify/repair permissions and verify/repair disc.. "permissions" seems like software check while "disc" seems like hardware..

if u r looking at buying 1, march might see a refresh of 1 of the product range.. MBP/iPad/iMac... would suggest holding out till after march IT show to see if a new product comes out before buying

in God we trust... all others pay CASH...

11 March 2010: Passed 2B

25 March 2010: FZ 150i (Athena)

06 November 2010: YZF-R125 (Calista)

Living in hope for what tomorrow will bring...

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/marcuskoh81/Calista/IMG_0135-1.jpg

I was about to ask this question but found this:-

Do you really need Mac antivirus software? The answer to that and other frequently asked questions about Mac viruses and Macintosh antivirus software is provided in this Mac virus FAQs.

1. Do I really need Mac antivirus software?

If you never connect your Mac to the Internet, the answer is no. But if you do use the Internet, the answer is yes. And since most everyone is online these days, that means that the majority of Mac users need to consider installing Macintosh compatible antivirus software. Having said that, it is true that Macs are not as prone to malware - most Mac infections occur as a result of user behavior (downloading Warez or counterfeit software, for example). Whereas a Windows system is easily susceptible to a so-called drive-by silent infection that happens through no fault of the user, a Mac infection usually requires some deliberate (and thus avoidable) action.

So that means if user don't do any silly things, such problem can be avoided?

But then, sometimes we don't know what we are doing.

Yes, I am waiting for next month IT show because I am not in such a hurry to buy.

Anyway need to buy a iPod touch for daughter too for her Ngee Ann course.

I was about to ask this question but found this:-

Do you really need Mac antivirus software? The answer to that and other frequently asked questions about Mac viruses and Macintosh antivirus software is provided in this Mac virus FAQs.

1. Do I really need Mac antivirus software?

If you never connect your Mac to the Internet, the answer is no. But if you do use the Internet, the answer is yes. And since most everyone is online these days, that means that the majority of Mac users need to consider installing Macintosh compatible antivirus software. Having said that, it is true that Macs are not as prone to malware - most Mac infections occur as a result of user behavior (downloading Warez or counterfeit software, for example). Whereas a Windows system is easily susceptible to a so-called drive-by silent infection that happens through no fault of the user, a Mac infection usually requires some deliberate (and thus avoidable) action.

So that means if user don't do any silly things, such problem can be avoided?

But then, sometimes we don't know what we are doing.

This is usually subject to debate.

One of my very experienced senior techs in an Apple store that I worked in ages ago told me flatly and confidently:

You don't need AV software for the Mac. People are buying those Nurton bloatware that just slows down their Macs for no apparent reason, then coming back to our shop crying that their Macs are slower than when they first purchased it.

Well, despite this, I skimmed through the web... and the website that you saw...to see if I (or him in the abovementioned) have covered all bases, or have missed something. Here's my take:

1. If a person occasionally partakes in downloading/buying unlicensed software or are active in 'Torrents' kind of behaviour then there's the risk of it coming with unwanted malware which will either (a) collect data on your Mac and submit them to some place on the Internet without your permission and (b) modify/corrupt/delete some files.

2. Even then, the Mac has an in-built foolproof permissions system.

For instance if there's malware that's sneaking around on your Mac and it wants to perform something on your computer, a popup box will come up on your Mac asking for your username and password for that malware to proceed. That's one telltale sign that something's amiss and at least there's the "cancel" button that you can press to prevent it from going further.

3. Email - if you receive emails on your computer, mail software usually comes with features that warn or prevent you from opening malicious web links, or attachments.

With that said, if you are still unsure, get a simple to use AV software. No need bells and whistles ;)

if u r looking at buying 1, march might see a refresh of 1 of the product range.. MBP/iPad/iMac... would suggest holding out till after march IT show to see if a new product comes out before buying

I wonder if they'll do something about the 13" MBP.

Apple couldn't put the Intel i-Series mobo chips into them because of many licensing and space constraints.

Edited by redbeacon

• 3 weeks later...
Whats the diff with the new mac pro 2011? Is it i7 better than i3 or the other way round?

All i know is that i7, i5 has been in imac for quite sometime n its fast n good. It also performs quite good in 64bit mode. I'm having one wif i7 now. Hhmmm...mayb i missed out e i3. Not sure abt that processor though...

"when you open your mind to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth........" - Walter Bishop

thumb-yamaha-semakin-di-depan.jpg

I just bought my Mac book pro today at the IT show at Suntec.

Was worry that I don't know how to set up internet connection but found that it was so easy even an idiot like me can do it first time, yeah!

However, one silly question, how to view full screen?

Now my screen it on the left of my monitor screen when i click the small green ball

Help ?????????

Got it, managed to "open" the screen up to full "size".:angel:

This Mac Book pro do not come with any user manual, everything have to "explore" to find the function. :faint:

But still very happy with this Mac Book pro, everything is extremely fast, especially the shutting down and booting up :lovestruck:

• 1 month later...
how come malaysia purchase must log in to buy, cant i just walk in to a mac reseller shop in KL to buy. I'll be going there next month.

To all mac converts, its true, i was a advent pc user because i use extensive excel programming, mac really cant do excel very well. But the os stability is legendary, my old mac g4 is still alive and kicking. Btw, does mac have a auto disk defragmentation or what? Why i never have to bother about disk space utility like for pc? Pc's os becomes retarded after 3 years as standard.

Msia is indeed cheaper.

did u buy it from there?

how abt warranty issue? global?

• 2 weeks later...
Msia is indeed cheaper.

did u buy it from there?

how abt warranty issue? global?

Laptops and portables r international warranty... only imac is local warranty..

in God we trust... all others pay CASH...

11 March 2010: Passed 2B

25 March 2010: FZ 150i (Athena)

06 November 2010: YZF-R125 (Calista)

Living in hope for what tomorrow will bring...

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/marcuskoh81/Calista/IMG_0135-1.jpg

Ipad 2 will be out in singapore tomoro!!!!!!!! :)

Any1 here using macbooks? any reviews? r they better than sony vaio laptops?

Any1 noes if mac book pro cost hw much & any shops can pay by mnthly installments(6-12mnths)? coz i wanna get it on my own n dun wanna truble my dad.

i have a qus, i have been using my mbp for abt 6mth. So far so good with it but i have encounter some problem recently.

I mainly use my comp for internet, sch work and uploading music and photos. Recently i encounter slow on software and hanging problem. I have updated my software when they ask me to do so but it seem to be like the same. What else can i check to encounter the problem?

2nd i bought apple care last nov but didnt install on my comp cause it is still under warranty (1yr) so must i still do it now or i can do it in sep or oct (close to the 1yr warranty)

There is someone out there for me

I know there is someone out there

I know she is waiting so patiently yeah

Can you tell me her name?

(Somebody tell me her name)

This life-long search is gonna drive me insane

How does she laugh?

How does she cry?

What's the color of her eyes?

Does she even realize I'm here?

Where is she? Where is she? Where is she?

Where is this beautiful girl?Who is she? Who is she?

Who is gonna complete my world?

(J. Roman & Soluna 'Where are you')

Ipad 2 will be out in singapore tomoro!!!!!!!! :)

Any1 here using macbooks? any reviews? r they better than sony vaio laptops?

Any1 noes if mac book pro cost hw much & any shops can pay by mnthly installments(6-12mnths)? coz i wanna get it on my own n dun wanna truble my dad.

EpiCentre (Orchard Ion) does credit card installments. Elsewise, go to places like Courts - they have installment plans [?], but bring a friend along so you won't be confronted by some salesmen raising the interest rate without your consent.

Never used Vaio laptops before, but I recommend to steer clear from NVIDIA [??] equipped Vaios. It is uncertain

i have a qus, i have been using my mbp for abt 6mth. So far so good with it but i have encounter some problem recently.

I mainly use my comp for internet, sch work and uploading music and photos. Recently i encounter slow on software and hanging problem. I have updated my software when they ask me to do so but it seem to be like the same. What else can i check to encounter the problem?

2nd i bought apple care last nov but didnt install on my comp cause it is still under warranty (1yr) so must i still do it now or i can do it in sep or oct (close to the 1yr warranty)

Are you seeing this slowness everywhere on your MBP and any apps that you open?

Or is it just only some software or apps exhibit this slowness issue?

Recommend to register your AppleCare extended warranty now in case you forget.

@xsuicidalx you wanna confirm to her how AppleCare works, and whether it makes any difference between (1) if she registers now and (2) if she registers close to the machine's 1 year warranty expiry?