SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] Apple, Mac, and iPod

redbeacon

Ipad 2 will be out in singapore tomoro!!!!!!!! :)

Any1 here using macbooks? any reviews? r they better than sony vaio laptops?

Any1 noes if mac book pro cost hw much & any shops can pay by mnthly installments(6-12mnths)? coz i wanna get it on my own n dun wanna truble my dad.

EpiCentre (Orchard Ion) does credit card installments. Elsewise, go to places like Courts - they have installment plans [?], but bring a friend along so you won't be confronted by some salesmen raising the interest rate without your consent.

Never used Vaio laptops before, but I recommend to steer clear from NVIDIA [??] equipped Vaios. It is uncertain

i have a qus, i have been using my mbp for abt 6mth. So far so good with it but i have encounter some problem recently.

I mainly use my comp for internet, sch work and uploading music and photos. Recently i encounter slow on software and hanging problem. I have updated my software when they ask me to do so but it seem to be like the same. What else can i check to encounter the problem?

2nd i bought apple care last nov but didnt install on my comp cause it is still under warranty (1yr) so must i still do it now or i can do it in sep or oct (close to the 1yr warranty)

Are you seeing this slowness everywhere on your MBP and any apps that you open?

Or is it just only some software or apps exhibit this slowness issue?

Recommend to register your AppleCare extended warranty now in case you forget.

@xsuicidalx you wanna confirm to her how AppleCare works, and whether it makes any difference between (1) if she registers now and (2) if she registers close to the machine's 1 year warranty expiry?

Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum

Biker nerd • Windows • Apple Mac • Android user

"Kick up your sidestand bro, let's ride..."

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EpiCentre (Orchard Ion) does credit card installments. Elsewise, go to places like Courts - they have installment plans [?], but bring a friend along so you won't be confronted by some salesmen raising the interest rate without your consent.

Never used Vaio laptops before, but I recommend to steer clear from NVIDIA [??] equipped Vaios. It is uncertain

Are you seeing this slowness everywhere on your MBP and any apps that you open?

Or is it just only some software or apps exhibit this slowness issue?

Recommend to register your AppleCare extended warranty now in case you forget.

@xsuicidalx you wanna confirm to her how AppleCare works, and whether it makes any difference between (1) if she registers now and (2) if she registers close to the machine's 1 year warranty expiry?

AppleCare works from the date of purchase on the Laptop receipt. regardless of when you purchase or activate the applecare

With the example of a Macbook, without applecare = 1 year, with applecare = 3 years

Another coverage of applecare is the Call-in technical support.

without applecare, 90days call support (for 1 issue)

with applecare, full 3 years of call support (multiple issues)

so it would be better to activate the applecare asap as i had encountered many isues of forgetting to activate or loosing it.

to clarify, applecare is not a software to be installed on the system

it is a serial number that you will have to activate online with your apple ID along with your machine's serial number

hope this helps

edit: forgot to mention.. apple care MUST be activated within the 1st 11months of purchase

Edited by xsuicidalx
missed out something

in God we trust... all others pay CASH...

11 March 2010: Passed 2B

25 March 2010: FZ 150i (Athena)

06 November 2010: YZF-R125 (Calista)

Living in hope for what tomorrow will bring...

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/marcuskoh81/Calista/IMG_0135-1.jpg

redbeacon - i encounter slow in so call everywhere.. when i am on safari more then 2 tab i encounter slow...than if i am still on internet than i open office app it is even slower in office software.

To be frank my office software are not orginal but other than that everything is stock.

Well my slow is not that slow like window but as compare to the 1st few months i use it kind of slow now...

erm... to be honest... i do watch non original dvd on my mac too... does it affect anything???

There is someone out there for me

I know there is someone out there

I know she is waiting so patiently yeah

Can you tell me her name?

(Somebody tell me her name)

This life-long search is gonna drive me insane

How does she laugh?

How does she cry?

What's the color of her eyes?

Does she even realize I'm here?

Where is she? Where is she? Where is she?

Where is this beautiful girl?Who is she? Who is she?

Who is gonna complete my world?

(J. Roman & Soluna 'Where are you')

redbeacon - i encounter slow in so call everywhere.. when i am on safari more then 2 tab i encounter slow...than if i am still on internet than i open office app it is even slower in office software.

To be frank my office software are not orginal but other than that everything is stock.

Well my slow is not that slow like window but as compare to the 1st few months i use it kind of slow now...

erm... to be honest... i do watch non original dvd on my mac too... does it affect anything???

sry for jumping in..

some trouble shooting steps you may try..

1. Disk permissions (Repair)

Applications -> Utilities -> Disk utility

Select your HD and select Repair Permissions

2. Reset PRAM

Shut down laptop -> unplug all connections including power ->

Press power button,

immediately press n hold CMD + ALT/OPTION + P + R

release when hear the 2nd Chime

3. Troubleshoot from CD

insert Disc 1 that came with the computer

shut down laptop

Press power button, immediately press n hold ALT/OPTION button till HD and CD icons appear on screen

(if chime is heard, power off and try again)

"next" on the language screen

wait for the top bar to load

select "Disk Utility"

run both Verify/Repair Disk and Verify/Repair Disk Permissions

good luck

erm... thanks for ur info but this sound like troubleshoot for taking out the disk... i dont really have problem on taking out the disc, just that i need to wait for a while or force shutdown.

Anyway does anyone know if i can purchase item from apple.com (us website) if my Itunes account can log onto apple.com (us website). Usually it input free shipping does this apply to us apple free shipping to singapore

There is someone out there for me

I know there is someone out there

I know she is waiting so patiently yeah

Can you tell me her name?

(Somebody tell me her name)

This life-long search is gonna drive me insane

How does she laugh?

How does she cry?

What's the color of her eyes?

Does she even realize I'm here?

Where is she? Where is she? Where is she?

Where is this beautiful girl?Who is she? Who is she?

Who is gonna complete my world?

(J. Roman & Soluna 'Where are you')

erm... thanks for ur info but this sound like troubleshoot for taking out the disk... i dont really have problem on taking out the disc, just that i need to wait for a while or force shutdown.

Anyway does anyone know if i can purchase item from apple.com (us website) if my Itunes account can log onto apple.com (us website). Usually it input free shipping does this apply to us apple free shipping to singapore

its trouble shooting of your internal hard disc... permission repair is for your software and PRAM is for your motherboard

@Sn0w_MaN - You can go ahead and perform the suggestions outlined by xsuicidalx. These steps involve using software to scan your disk drive for issues, as well as resetting the settings on the logicboard (Apple's fancy way of describing a motherboard) on your laptop.

No need to physically extract the hard drive for this! :)

Before I forget, I amended Step 3 to include one more thing you need to perform (see below):

3. Troubleshoot from CD

insert Disc 1 that came with the computer

shut down laptop

Press power button, immediately press n hold ALT/OPTION button till HD and CD icons appear on screen

(if chime is heard, power off and try again)

Select the CD icon
(double click)

"next" on the language screen

wait for the top bar to load

select "Disk Utility"

run both Verify/Repair Disk and Verify/Repair Disk Permissions

FYI: You may need to adjust your date and time once you're finished with these troubleshooting steps. This is normal whenever you perform resets during computer troubleshooting.

Edited by redbeacon

New Apple iMac 2011

Looks the same literally; embraces SD card and a few unique stuff, and and has a "Quad-core" horsepower of 3.1 Gigahertz ++

http://s2.kimag.es/share/40676761.jpg

The highlights:

- 21 or 27 inches - it's just as spectacularly huge as before

- Intel Quad-core i5 or i7 -- "Quad" meaning this PC can juggle 4 tasks at once so your computer literally never lags when you use it heavily.

- AMD Radeon HD 6970M (1GB GDDR5) -- Enough juice to play 3D games or even edit your HD-sized movies.

The disappointments:

- Huh?? It looks the same as the previous generation iMac...

- Still not HDMI compatible -- Apparently, Apple wants us to use the new Thunderbolt...which has yet to gain popularity.

- Parts not upgradeable -- Well, if you're an Apple user, this is like "duh"...obviously what iMacs are since Day 1. But if you insist >> Mac Pro

Read more:

- http://www.geek.com/articles/tagged/spring-2011-imac/

- http://www.apple.com/sg/imac/features.html

Price for 21 inch: SG$1688

Edited by redbeacon

I just jumped the bandwagon and bought a 27" iMac..

It's my very first Mac.. still learning how to use it..

It's been a very long time since I had a high-spec desktop..

Shouldnt have waste the money on Windows laptops that cant provide fast bootup and game play..

I'm a avid gamer, just that since my last high-spec desktop spoilt, I haven been playing PC games..

Had bought some games for Mac, Sims3 (for my wife), Call of Duty..

Just wondering if Battlefield2 can be played??

I googled it and it shows that you need bootcamp and do some partition to run on windows..

Totally blur on this and not that of a tech savvy guy..

anyone here knows how to do it??

Bootcamp is easy bro. Jus follow instructions n get ur winslow cd ready. Or jus do my option, i've got the highest spec 27" imac n use it for photo n video editing on top of other normal usage. I got myself a ps3 for games, which i think best as dont need to worry abt graphics card or ram not enough.....

"when you open your mind to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth........" - Walter Bishop

thumb-yamaha-semakin-di-depan.jpg

Do you think the lowest end iMac or MBP will be able to handle photo editing? I'm using intel i5 now but it still lags big time!

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd13/eedwinn89/IMG_4518-1-1.jpg

delete.

only for those using intel cpu whom felt slacking in cpu processing speed.

for mac;

buy n use app - coolbook. http://www.coolbook.se/CoolBook.html

or read this http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=21564

for win;

correction on the bios setting, disable functions 'C1E' in CPU configuration n 'Intel Speedstep' in performance.

Edited by stsoh

Do you think the lowest end iMac or MBP will be able to handle photo editing? I'm using intel i5 now but it still lags big time!

I don't see that it couldn't....It should be able to.

I do photo and video editing on my Core 2 Duo MBP, and even if it's Core 2 Duo (read: one generation before the Core-i processors), it still handles large photos well.

So perhaps it's safe to say the Core i5 and i7 macs are able to.

BTW, what kind of Mac do you have? And what's the processor spec+speed, and RAM?

intel has speedstep to conserve energy which can half cpu processing speed.

get into bios, u need to disable these two functions 'C0' n 'Intel Speedstep'.

Bro, for the macs, I hear Apple intentionally disallowed this by not giving users any switch or app to turn off Intel Speedstep.

If one still wants to, there's kernel extensions on the internet that one can download to have this ability, but again, this is like planting a modification into the heart of the Mac -- do this at your own risk.

delete.

only for those using intel cpu whom felt slacking in cpu processing speed.

for mac;

buy n use app - coolbook. http://www.coolbook.se/CoolBook.html

or read this http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=21564

for win;

correction on the bios setting, disable functions 'C1E' in CPU configuration n 'Intel Speedstep' in performance.

Edited by stsoh

I don't see that it couldn't....It should be able to.

I do photo and video editing on my Core 2 Duo MBP, and even if it's Core 2 Duo (read: one generation before the Core-i processors), it still handles large photos well.

So perhaps it's safe to say the Core i5 and i7 macs are able to.

BTW, what kind of Mac do you have? And what's the processor spec+speed, and RAM?

Oh no you got it wrong, I'm using windows not mac.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd13/eedwinn89/IMG_4518-1-1.jpg

Oh no you got it wrong, I'm using windows not mac.

Well bro, I got an interesting anecdote...an IT-support story to tell

Back in my previous job despite taking care of the IT systems, I had to also help out with deploying laptops to new users.

The finance team were given HP laptops powered by Intel i5, and has Windows 7 installed on them.

The sales team were given an Apple MacBook Air [??]...the MB Air is the superthin Mac laptops that you may have seen.

When I used the HP laptops, I expected the medium-performance Intel i5 laptops to perform better.

Trying to log-in to it was a chore with all the waiting. Using it for the very first time was a drag even without many apps installed yet, and parts of Windows 7 and some apps even froze carelessly like a clumsy dog limping on one leg.

What's more, the abovementioned HP laptops were made into a laughing stock.

Reason being: Our Apple MacBook Air was: