SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] Typical prices for Phantom repairs & mods

thatone1

any idea if the scrapyard sells stock cosmetic items? such as the stock headlight, stock mirrors, stock signal lights etc... wanna convert my bike back to stock

They have plenty. But conditions are far from desirable. Best if you know the price for original so that you can bargain properly when you are there.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone have this problem, the slight feeling of deceleration when your bike is running out of petrol, but the problem is i refueled, it's happening for about 2 days already. Freaked me out on the highway thinking it's gonna die.

Hi, hope u had phantom check already. Sounds consistent, my guess is that clutch/gear box needs to be check, clutch/gear is slipping.

• 5 weeks later...

Your key is on top (triple tree) or side (below fuel tank)? The former will be Gen 2 while the latter is Gen 1.

You will be spoilt for choice on footpegs. Can either use the conventional peg or board. You can also mod it to become a forward control, if you don't like the "squatting" stock style. Or you can even mod it backwards, shorten the risers and make it a cafe racer.

But you've already decided - chopper. And almost the easiest option since Phantom has already most parts looking like a chopper.

Still the same warning i give to everyone going to Aunty-shop : Don't judge a book by its cover and do your research first before deciding. Read my post about my shopping experience to see how you can make your modding trip a more pleasurable one.

Edited by matthias76

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fellow Phantom Riders,

I recently bought a gen-2 phantom which is almost 10 years old. I have over 15 years of driving experience and have ridden a bike for 2-3 years in past 10 years.

I would just like to understand that how many km's does the phantom go before going for any overhaul. I know this depends on many factors like the rider, how he takes care of the bike and others but in general what is number like 200000-250000 km before going for overhaul or is this figure a very unrealistic?

I have scrolled through the forum and found many old posts hence would like to know a good mechanic for getting the regular service done.

I assume this thread will help fellow new phantom riders like me or the ones that are planning to buy one recently.

Thanks in advance!

Planet - Ah Chong is a reliable mechanic. But he's the Boss, so he won't do it himself.

The exact number of KM before a full/top/lower half overhaul depends on the condition of the bike as you already know. Diligent servicing, well oiled machine can go on until the problem arises. The magical number is elusive. Unlike other bigger CC engine where its recommended for a valve clearance readjustment, there is no such recommendation on the owner manual for TA200. It could mean either

1. Honda doesn't expect TA200 to survive that long OR

2. There is really no other need for such measures.

Having rode 2 different generation of TA200, the numbers that happened to me are

1. Gen 1 - Full overhaul at 60k+++ km mark

2. Gen 2 - 97k++++, engine still purring like a kitten.

I went to quite a few other shops and didn't quite like the way they touch my bike except for Planet. Some may be much cheaper, but when they have to take out my forward controls just to loosen the EO drain plug, then I know something is wrong. Or if they keep asking me to top 1.3 - 1.5L during EO change, that is the last time I am going to the shop.

Some may be curious why i go so many different shops - same here. Just curious about how different shops operate. EO change is a good guide to how much a mech knows about your machine. If he can't unscrew a drain plug properly, would you dare let him change your clutch plates?

some comments in bold below.. but these are opinion only u may challenge..

Planet - Ah Chong is a reliable mechanic. But he's the Boss, so he won't do it himself.

He will do when the problem no one knows one.. Like the grounding problem he insisted that he settle and took over from his staff..

The exact number of KM before a full/top/lower half overhaul depends on the condition of the bike as you already know. Diligent servicing, well oiled machine can go on until the problem arises. The magical number is elusive. Unlike other bigger CC engine where its recommended for a valve clearance readjustment, there is no such recommendation on the owner manual for TA200.

i think it's just the service manual is not freely available in Sg. Usually these values are there and not in the owner manual..a lot of ppl fix ta200 by "experience"one lol It could mean either

1. Honda doesn't expect TA200 to survive that long OR

2. There is really no other need for such measures.

most likely the latter.. the engine type was already in production before Phantom came out (xr200) so it's probably due to high dimensional tolerances the engine has.. I'm nt sure of the motocross origin of this engine has to gotta do with it..

Having rode 2 different generation of TA200, the numbers that happened to me are

1. Gen 1 - Full overhaul at 60k+++ km mark

2. Gen 2 - 97k++++, engine still purring like a kitten.

I went to quite a few other shops and didn't quite like the way they touch my bike except for Planet. Some may be much cheaper, but when they have to take out my forward controls just to loosen the EO drain plug, then I know something is wrong. Or if they keep asking me to top 1.3 - 1.5L during EO change, that is the last time I am going to the shop.

Some may be curious why i go so many different shops - same here. Just curious about how different shops operate. EO change is a good guide to how much a mech knows about your machine. If he can't unscrew a drain plug properly, would you dare let him change your clutch plates?

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday went to unique, kaki bukit to get EO changed and was amazed at the price, I paid 33 for 1L Motul v300 15w50 which is full synthetic. Is it seriously that costly? Which are the other good cheaper options?

Secondly, my gear shift is hard in stationary bike while on move it is ok, for this, Unique mech told that it requires a clutch plate change costing S$90

Thirdly, while I take a turn I feel that my handle is very tight and have to reduce the speed to around 30-40 to turn comfortably, same is the case on changing lane on expressway at 80-90 speed. To this, unique mech told that the alignment got problem and fork need to go to press (really don't know what this is!?) and costing $80.

I would like to understand your experiences and the cost that he asked are reasonable. Also, is alignment and changing steering cone the same thing? Or else how it is different?

Thanks in advance.

Yesterday went to unique, kaki bukit to get EO changed and was amazed at the price, I paid 33 for 1L Motul v300 15w50 which is full synthetic. Is it seriously that costly? Which are the other good cheaper options?

Secondly, my gear shift is hard in stationary bike while on move it is ok, for this, Unique mech told that it requires a clutch plate change costing S$90

Thirdly, while I take a turn I feel that my handle is very tight and have to reduce the speed to around 30-40 to turn comfortably, same is the case on changing lane on expressway at 80-90 speed. To this, unique mech told that the alignment got problem and fork need to go to press (really don't know what this is!?) and costing $80.

I would like to understand your experiences and the cost that he asked are reasonable. Also, is alignment and changing steering cone the same thing? Or else how it is different?

Thanks in advance.

Motul 300v can get cheaper at ah boy. 20ish range.

Check your clutch freeplay first. Not enough free play you will need roll forward abit to change gear.

Not too sure and nv heard of fork alignment or need to press but usually I'll jack bike up and check the front steering free to turn or not.

I also not sure what u mean by difficult to turn as by right at such a speed u should be countersteeering more than turning the handlebars. You should not be turning handlebars too much at high speed anyway as you may risk losing traction. Nowadays weather wet better be safe .

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

Hi All. New TA200 rider here. Just to share the cost of some of the repairs I just did at Planet.

Cam Chain - $38

Cam Chain Tensioner - $65

Chain Holder - $52

Replacement of Engine Block - $195

Piston Ring -$95

Clutch Cable - $15

Valve Seal - $12

Spark Plug - $5

Chex 900 EO - $16

Workmanship - $180.

I think this can be considered an overhaul? Pardon if I've gotten the terms wrong. Noob here.

Cheers!

Thanks in advance.

V300 may be smoother in viscosity, but I find the engine noise super loud during the early 1000km of use. Undeniably, the quality of the oil remains constant even until 1600km of use, judging by the color of the oil during my oil change. I prefer Motul 7100 20w50. $26 /L. Engine noise is reduced considerably while not affecting overall fuel consumption. My TA200 purrs softly like a kitten when using 7100.

Front steering if very tight could also be due to poor front tyre pressure. Steering cone bearings worn is also a cause sometimes.

Never heard of TA200 needing to go to press. If the front stanchions are out of alignment, you will hear a lot of other noises and also face a lot of other problems other than just a hard steering.

V300 may be smoother in viscosity, but I find the engine noise super loud during the early 1000km of use. Undeniably, the quality of the oil remains constant even until 1600km of use, judging by the color of the oil during my oil change. I prefer Motul 7100 20w50. $26 /L.

Would like to add that 300v evaporate quite fast. 7100 or 5100 seems to stay in crankcase longer.

Only know it's a CV type some VE variant which I can't find info online. Left and right large diameter tubes connect to air filter and cylinder head respectively. The down tube from the carb bowl connects to overflow valve for the carb bowl.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Yesterday my trustworthy TA200 wouldn't start. I suspected a battery problem and started the bike by pushing it; making way to the nearest repair shop, which was on Lavender St. As suspected, the mechanic there said that the battery had died out. The replacement battery, which at my regular shop costs $42 (Yuasa YT4 I think) wasn't to be found in this shop; so he suggested I go for YT5 which costs $62. Having no choice I opted for it, but I wonder if I have been taken for a ride for the extra 20 bucks. I couldn't verify the differences in capacity etc. of the two battery models. Would any veterans know if the battery models have changed / upgraded?

My old battery was barely 7-8 months old; but the mechanic also suggested that this is the normal life-span of Phantom batteries (something I'm finding a hard time believing).

The best mechanic for your bike is YOU

My batt lasted for a few years with the previous owner nd it was still working well when I replaced it when I got it. I keep it as a spare now. Mine was bought for 45, so was quoted higher than yours, a normal one cost 35 I understand.

Confirm kena chop.. It's 35ish to 45 at some established shops.. Anyway if your battery charging properly it should last quite a while..