SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] Typical prices for Phantom repairs & mods

thatone1

Top overhaul = cylinder open up including (if required ), piston replacement, cylinder rebore oversize etc. Think they will check wear and tear items including cam chain though I remb cam chain tensioner add on cost

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nono cylinder is your engine cylinder where the combustion take place. Usually they do overhaul only if necessary like e.g. piston ring worn increased engine oil loss

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

22km/l is bad. Better to give mech diagnose first because overhaul is costly. Problems can be from many places. If top overhaul to be done probably poor compression. Do a compression test first to cfm.

On the other hand clutch plate slipping can also be a reason for poor FC.

Edited by sawfly

22km/l maybe can try some carb washing, tuning first. Look up earlier posts on how to do it. Carb cleaners can be bought from Mustafa if you are the DIY type of person.

Else, bring it to your trusted mechanic and watch him wash the carb for you. Then tell him your FC problem and have him adjust to a leaner ratio for you. Troubleshoot one by one from the cheapest item first. Don't jumped straight into overhaul.

If your carb needle was changed before to a larger diameter one, it could account for the low fc. But fc issue s need to troubleshoot slowly. Its a combination of a lot of factors, tire pressure, chain tension, sprockets, air filters, and even idling rate.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Doubt its much to do with carb jetting. I did upsize my carb main jet and needle. Worse fuel consumption was 27km/l on NSHW at 130km/h all the way.

Suspect its more to do with worn out parts.

A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

:thumb:

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200

2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

ushio: maybe replace the basic consumables like what matthias said. EO, spark plugs and air filter are the basics before everything else. isolate out the clutch plates, carb jetting and engine compression later.

When I first bought, it was 23km/l, then I send for carb wash, it increase to 25,26/l,

I have put a bottle of fuel injector and it starts to slowly drop till 22/l , so could it be that the fuel injector problem ??

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Or if you can somehow manage to psycho Naim out for a kopi session, he might be able to do a triage on your phantom and tell you some of the possible things that might be wrong with your bike.

Run 1 or 2 tanks of fuel to rule out the fuel injector cleaner. Change ur air filter (not just clean. Could be clogged), spark plug, engine oil, clean&lube ur chain, check tyre pressures, wheel bearings.

Rule out all these basics first then we talk abt possibility of other big stuff going wrong like engine or carb internals.

A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200

2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

Helo people!

If my phantom headlight low beam doesnt work but High beam works, means what ah?

Do i have to change the whole bulb of the headlight or isit a wiring issue?

Cost is ~$35 as stated on the 1st post if i have to change?

Thanks for any info provided :D

Helo people!

If my phantom headlight low beam doesnt work but High beam works, means what ah?

Do i have to change the whole bulb of the headlight or isit a wiring issue?

Cost is ~$35 as stated on the 1st post if i have to change?

Thanks for any info provided :D

check yr bulb. inside got 2 filaments - usually only one will fuse. one headlight bulb 2sgd only!

35sgd is for the whole headlight assembly. could be cheaper thougb

does your head light got a metal shade blocking the bulb? I have seen that on some phantoms. What is the purpose of it? thinking of removing it.

the so called metal shade is standard stuff on ta200 head lamps. supposed to be a reflector but makes not much difference in increasing brightness for me.

actually many headlight lamps have that, I'm guessing it removes glare. removing it might increase apparent brightness but may provoke unkind behavior..just saying

Edited by sawfly

hi bros! intend to get a used Phantom 200. any recommendation on which year one better? after getting, first thing wanna change to straight handle bar (like harley look). where can i get? sorry i started very late on bike so not much info.

thanks. =)

Quite a few selling inside the forum.

Just to share my personal opinion on buying

I bought my first phantom from a forummer. Newbie like me, gan chiong to get a bike upon passing my license and the result was a lemon.

I don't blame the person who sold me. Its not his responsibility to tell me how bad the bike was. But the bike was really in a terrible condition. And it was a 6 year old bike back then...

I bought my second phantom from bike shop. Smarter me now, and I can tell very well what's good and what's not. I tabulated the repairs needed and factored in the price for things that I cannot see from visual inspection. Coupled with a 1 month warranty on parts, I bought the second bike with a little bit more confidence.

Is it cheaper to buy from forums? Not necessarily.

Is it better since the owner (forum) would know all the problems? I doubt most would be honest to tell anyway.

Is it better since the owner would care for the bike more? Hahaha... this was my own misconception. I abused my first bike almost as much as the previous owner.

Bike shop is always more expensive since they have to make a profit as a middle man? Not necessary. If you had pushed in a bike into a shop for trade-in or sale, you would know they offer ridiculously low machine prices.

Bike shop will always try to hide the flaws? You mean owner trying to sell won't? Owner don't have a 1 month warranty for you to whack the bike to test the engine, you know?

Having said all these, it boils down to knowing what you are going to buy. I suggest sourcing out all the available bikes, then compare them first before making the decision. If you have no knowledge of phantom, get a friend (who knows about phantoms) to go with you. Riding a bike does not mean knowing how a phantom should be (Personal experience). If there is really no one you know who rides or rode a phantom before, do yourself a favor and read the posts inside this PK forum to know what to look out for.

Having rode both Gen 1 and Gen 2 before, I would recommend Gen 2. You may be able to get a Gen 1 with a longer COE, for the same price for a Gen 2 with a slightly shorter COE. But the engineering design of Gen 1 has its own non-fatal flaws which would add up in years to come. Unless of course you are just getting it for a short few years, then I suggest getting a Gen 1 since the machine price would be significantly lower than a Gen 2.

Now for the disclaimer part - Again I qualify myself for having rode both Gen 1 and Gen 2 before, so I am not discriminating or discouraging the sale of any bikes in this PK forum currently. It is a matter of personal opinion and my rudimentary level of understanding in mechanical engineering. Having also bought the same bike from the forum and also a bike shop, it is also my personal opinion with a slightly more advance level of understanding in marketing strategy and economics.