SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Riding Skills Series: Slippery When Wet

henRRy

the above also apply to driver too. I am also a driver...but everytime i saw bike trying to squeeze through me i will move apart to give him more space...see this as an act of respect as he is also a tax paying user also becoz we are fellow rider.

hopefully driver (NOT ALL ARE LIKE THIS) will understand our situation, do give us more space...imagine 2 10 wheeler trying to sandwich you...this is wat most rider out there experience from CARELESS driver.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GuiNNeSS
Originally posted by Francis@Nov 4 2004, 04:01 PM

I think tyre and brake is very important...i mean dun save on this stuff...one +- year change once only...(unless u hard core rider lah then i lan lan). But no matter rain or shine...pls ride with care...what for you rush, save on 5-10 min...think- we rider are surrounded by wat and other mode of transport driver are surrounded by wat? we buang into them, we injure ourself(death sometime) and still must pay them $$$...they buang into you, u get $$$ but u also get injure...for wat, not worth it... (plus kana fine/pts sometime)

last time i just pass my 2B i admit i was reckless too...but after one accident, i realise: reckless = accident rate higher = accident happen = money spent on repair = not worth it at all.

if die die wanna have high speed thrill...PLSSSSSSSSS go track or somewhere safe(i dun know in Singapore got or not). Not for urself but for others.

i understand ppl when first pass will wanna try out their new found access to speed...here i just hope that ppl out there will think first b4 any action.

for me it take me 1 accident to wake up. hope other will need not even 1.

Glad to see people having some sense.

To those that don't: Hope you wake up your idea; Before you wake up from an accident. Worse, don't wake up after an accident

• 1 month later...

First of all , every bike is different and of course tactic may see to be the same but it does not apply for all due to engine brake , brake pad etc will effect the overall

preformance of the bike and the rider.

Conclusion can be alot and debating to be done but ride safe and hav fun on road

CHeer to all riders

SEEYA

I will not want to regret in my life when i look back when i am old man.

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by stan_lemieux@Apr 5 2005, 02:13 AM

When engine brake rear traction is being used, so engine brake sort of equals to rear braking also! Correct me if I'm wrong :confused:

there's diff within internal brake and external ....

Engin brake is using internal power to slow e whole vehicular...

Normal Rear braking is forcing e rear wheel to stop and there is contact within tyre and road surface to skid easily.

Hope this will enhance our knowledge:smile:

:goodluck:

I BoRn tO be Perfect BuT EducaTion Ruined mE - AspMonK

Originally posted by desewer@Apr 3 2005, 08:56 PM

Never brake while cornering a wet expressway entrance. I learned the hard way. Always brake on wet roads with the bike STRAIGHT.

well coupla weeks ago on sat 2pm i was on cte, approaching the stretch near orchard exit going towards aye.

rd was wet, very light drizzling. i had a pillion. my bike wore bt014 tyres (still r). i was on lane 1 going like 90+. rd pretty clear, beemer car quite far in front, maybe 100m.

suddenly i see beemer slowing down, so being the kiasu that i am, i started to brake moderately (my braking style is like 80% front). usually this kind of braking will piss drivers behind me since i would b slowing down too much. but this instance nobody behind, but got an nsr150sp wif pillion on lane 2.

so anyway my spd was rapidly going down but i was still getting closer to the beemer. i started to panic a bit n braked harder. this was when i noticed lane 2 got accident... some car stopped there. by now my spd must b 40 n the beemer was still getting closer! i was gonna kiss it!

i braked really hard n my front locked. i almost immediately let go of the brakes.

my bike was already tankslapping (no steering damper). i was prepared to take a fall. but somehow, it righted itself n i had managed to somehow swerve to the beemer's right (still lane 1). the spd now is like i have to kick down to gear 1 to get moving again. so i accelerated off n noticed the sp rider behind me. he too, squeezed past the beemer on its right (go right anymore n u kiss the rd divider). i'm sure he saw my near crash.

i hv no idea whether the beemer slowed down to look at the accident or just for safety sake...

anyway, yeah the front can lock if u brake hard enuf on a wet rd...

• 1 month later...

Yes, and i second that. Just skidded last Sun on PIE road shoulder. Almost going to stop when a pick up decided to cut in front of me and when i used the font brake harder, the front locked when i was doing 30-35 kmph. This speed is enough to damage your damage bars and fork alignment.

Expect the worst guys and ride to prevent it. And if you do fall, expect to carry your bike up yourself because no one's gonna help you as i learnt that the hard way.:goodluck:

• 2 months later...

For me so far all accidents happened in raining days, no joke 100%. Tat's tell tat me not a wet weather rider. Think during dry times always do hard braking, bad habits so when wet die liao. Still can remember when going thru patch of water at high speed the rear feels like floating at the split sec, man suddenly got 3 adam apples at tat time. Now old liao more sensible.

FZR150, RS125, VFR400, GSXR400, RXZ135

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It`s been pouring heavily everyday, for those who travel long distances pls do be careful, for me I`ve to ride from the west down to the east to work about 80km to and fro everyday....even with rain gear on it just freezes you, not to mention the hazards, ride safe people. Rain fell, Riders don`t.

• 3 weeks later...

Tell me about it...that period of time was the worst nightmare a rider could get!

Was riding along Woodlands Rd twds City, just opp Ten Mile Junc & dis stupid van just came out fr the slip rd w/o looking on his right & cut into my lanE...

Being careful, I was riding slowly at about 40km/h as it was raining & the traffic light was red, thus preparing for a stop. Occupied the whole lane coz scared mah...rain, & dat rd is slippery,lots of gravel 2...

So dis idiotic driver, a PA plate silver van, just cut into my lane so what do u expek me 2 do?BRAKE of coz...skidded, fell on my right.

Bruises on my legs & bike suffers broken right mirror & meter casing..jia lat! v sad ley.... :cry:

its normal to be misunderstood.

sometimes, some things are not easy to explain or understand;

sometimes, you are just not given the chance to.

----------BikerMyce----------

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by oldahpek@Feb 18 2006, 10:42 PM

Engine break is the only break that wont fail u in any situations.....

yup... and if you high gear and got time to react, down one gear b4 or while braking... saved my ass a few times...

rain definitely scary man... 4 out of my 5 accidents in the rain...

in fact, dun even have to rain, wet roads after a rain also bad enuff...

i kenna one time when rain stopped but road still wet, false sense of security then e-brake front wheel skid until bike ram under a stopping bus kenna jam, and i fly to the front of the bus...

and watch out for those white road markings too... lane dividers & arrows... damn slippery... back wheel slide quite a few times but lucky no accident... those pedestrian crossings is the worst... big freaking white patch of death... i always go in between them now.

nowadays rain only i go damn damn slow... safer is better :)

***Ride Safe***

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally posted by oldahpek@Feb 18 2006, 10:42 PM

Engine break is the only break that wont fail u in any situations.....

i agree!

no matter what tyre u use

u brake u skid

so engine brake da best

See more of me @ azari.multiply.com

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs216.snc3/22373_296411496598_707411598_3943863_2038617_n.jpg

Originally posted by philiplolc@Feb 18 2006, 11:22 PM

and watch out for those white road markings too... lane dividers & arrows... damn slippery... back wheel slide quite a few times but lucky no accident... those pedestrian crossings is the worst... big freaking white patch of death... i always go in between them now.

nowadays rain only i go damn damn slow... safer is better :)

dun forget oil patch too

especially at filter lane

one of my fren oso riding slow

turn in left at the filter lane

and just like dat gedebammm

and the rear tyre rim bent

See more of me @ azari.multiply.com

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs216.snc3/22373_296411496598_707411598_3943863_2038617_n.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

My rule on biking. Always use engine/gear to brake. I hardly touch my front/rear brakes until I down all the way to 2nd/1st gear. You have better control (down one gear) before you take a corner. Your brake pads will last a long time. My pads lasted 50,000km (4yrs). It's very dangerous to apply brake at high speed(even low speed when wet). When raining and approach traffic light(slow) just turn yellow, better to make decision and cross the yellow light then panic, apply brakes and skid. I learn that in my 1st year of riding many years ago.

Better And Better

Erm... What bike u riding? Engine brake may be more reliable and less prone to skidding, but it does not mean that it will not cause a skid. Try dropping a few gears in one shot at high speed and let go of the clutch. Your rear will lock and fishtail. Generally, braking done gradually, increasing in intensity is the correct technique for street riding, reagardless of which brake u use, engine front or rear. In my opinion, because rear front brake may not be as reliable as engine brake is not a good reason for not using them. The preferable technique, as taught by driving centres and used by most riders is to use all 3. Different people use varying amounts of different brake according to preferences, but not using front and rear brake is depriving yourself of good stopping power.

Lastly, if u really want to depend on engine brake most of the time, do tap your brake light while engine braking to warn rear vehicles of your deccleration. Have a safe ride :cheer:

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965