SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Taxi mistake, His sorrow, My great escape

SynsterGates

I need some help.

happened yesterday. Around 11pm.

On a 2 lane road.

I was going home from work together with my fren, Nam.

Riding at about speed of 70km/h.

I lead the way as my fren, Nam follow right behind me.

We were in the lane ( lane 2 i would call it ) nearest to the kerb .

A taxi was in lane 1, he was in front of us.

Then some kids on the side of the road flag the taxi.

Out from no where ( ya i mean really from no where ) this taxi cut into my lane, no signal no nothing and stop for his customer.

Upon seeing this i quickly jammed my brake, horn the taxi, and swerve a little to avoid collide on to his car boot.

i manage to swerve and stop between the kerb and the taxi.

however my fren was not so lucky, he collided to the taxi boot.

The bike was totally CUI from the front, and he had some minor injuries.

We took down the driver's number and plate number.

He said he will pay for the repair and medical expenses.

No TP or insurance company was involved, and we both agreed as a private settlement.

Today got the quote from the bike shop which amount to about 2k.

Now taxi driver say he will only fork out 1k.

What can we do now? Settle for 1k seems silly, there are still medical expense to cover.

So bros out there need your advise.

Plz help.

Thanks,

BEAN

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend's bike bang into the back= motorcyclist fault.

Unless you have witness to back up your story of the taxi driver cutting into your lane without signaling.

If there are no witness, the driver can deny everything and get away without paying a single cent, or worse, he come back and claim the damage to his taxi from your friend. :(

Motorcyclist are the nicest people on the road, try not to kill us.

Bro,

Don't give face. Seems like he wanna back out already. Basically, u got 2 choices.

1. Let the matter rest, but ure fren suffer cos gotta fork out 1K +++ even though he did nothing wrong. If like that might as well settle thru insurance claim.

2. Fight for your rights. I think ure fren is lucky since he got a witness, that is you. I hope ure fren and the driver signed the private settlement form, which would prove very useful. Otherwise, if he still wanna kpkb, straightaway make a police report. Say that u both agreed on private settlement, say that u witness him saying that he will cover full expenses, and say that now he is going back on his own word. At the same time, maybe u wanna write to the straits times about this dishonest driver.

MAny ways u can settle this. Depends on whether u wanna settle for less or for what u really deserve.

You will need 2 witness to win the case, you can be 1 witness but you will have to get the passenger to witness too. :confused:

It's very unfair, and in all moral obligations, the taxi driver should get his just deserts, suspended license+fine+payment for your friend's injury & bike. But you must also consider whether if the rascal backs out, whether can claim sucessfully or not.

By the way did your friend get 3 days MC? If so, can consider police case because of serious injury. That way no way for him to escape, provided you can get 2 witnesses.

Motorcyclist are the nicest people on the road, try not to kill us.

just make police report, dont 4get to draw how it happens, a simple map. it helps. then settle with insurance. Remember not all, NOT ALL, hit from behind is the person behind fault. just do accordingly, follow your feelings, do a report, draw a simple map of how it happen and let insurance settle. Taxi driver dont give face,. if they kena they happy, but if we kena they kanchong. so do with proper channel. bro.

Once A Rider,aLways A RideR

things are getting quite complicated now.

my fren did not get 3 days MC, although he already when to hospital for check up already.

his has got bruise and swollen on his groin, blood on this gum.

i dun think i will be able to find one more witness, as those kids simply run off upon seeing the incident.

Police dun entertain my fren because they said that my fren was no MC for 3 days.

and my fren was afraid that if he claim his insurance, that will account to notorious insurance fee renewal later.

question is , is my fren medical expense and repair able to claim using the driver insurance?

Regards,

BEAN

at the point of time during the accident, did you get the driver to sign any written agreement that he is at fault and that he is totally liable for the damages? hope you have done that as this part would really save your friend

hospital don't give 3 days mc, go to private clinic. it is simple, say you got accident, blah blah. injurd, need to rest and make police report. they should get the hint.

next make police report, and get a trusted motorshop to do the claims for you.

i believe you can be the witness for your friend in this case

but do act fast as police reports with injuries must be mad within a few days it hink

at the point of time during the accident, did you get the driver to sign any written agreement that he is at fault and that he is totally liable for the damages? hope you have done that as this part would really save your friend

hospital don't give 3 days mc, go to private clinic. it is simple, say you got accident, blah blah. injurd, need to rest and make police report. they should get the hint.

next make police report, and get a trusted motorshop to do the claims for you.

i believe you can be the witness for your friend in this case

but do act fast as police reports with injuries must be mad within a few days it hink

Nothing was signed at that time. It was jus a verbal agreement.

Now driver say that all medical and repair expenses and claim using his insurance. Is it possible?

Written agreement by both parties is very important especially where a accident

is involved....

I made a mistake once only on verbal agreement and months later the other party concern claim my insurance for damages to his taxi by my bike:angry:

Wah lao i was so stunned when i received a letter from my insurance agency informing me that i was being claimed for damages.......http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6236/shockedsmileyzn3.gif

http://x3f.xanga.com/df409bea462b710806617/z8012352.jpg

Written agreement by both parties is very important especially where a accident

is involved....

I made a mistake once only on verbal agreement and months later the other party concern claim my insurance for damages to his taxi by my bike:angry:

Wah lao i was so stunned when i received a letter from my insurance agency informing me that i was being claimed for damages.......http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6236/shockedsmileyzn3.gif

i got a more stun then you

the person hit me from my rear, police investigation concluded that he was at fault, fine + demerit points given to him

and the person came and claim me o_O

Take the $1K and forget about the matter i suggest... what if he really cant fork out $2K and kena forced till tulan then simply say call police lor. he is at fault, but without witness... i tink the taxi will definitely win if u all were settle this through legal means... This is a stupid law but this is how it works... the one behind is at fault... Then in the end even $1K also dont have and ur friend's insurance kena claim till damn jialat.

STOP ANIMAL ABUSE

Take the $1K and forget about the matter i suggest... what if he really cant fork out $2K and kena forced till tulan then simply say call police lor. he is at fault, but without witness... i tink the taxi will definitely win if u all were settle this through legal means... This is a stupid law but this is how it works... the one behind is at fault... Then in the end even $1K also dont have and ur friend's insurance kena claim till damn jialat.

not entirely true. my colleague hit a taxi a year back. he showed me the laywer's writ from the taxi company, they claimed a total of $7,580. the damages were extensive, from a broken side mirror to a broken CVJ of the right front wheel. not to forget, lose of income blah blah.

he just renewed his insurance 2 weeks back, $888.71. up $88.71 from his last year premium. if he didnt get into the accident, his insurance would only cost $570.

rien d'autre que le max.

i was in a similar accident few years back...

but dis time it was a car who jus swerve in to turn left without even signaling...

i crashed into his bonnet...

got 3 days mc and made a police report...

i won da case even though i hit him. da driver kena for careless driving if i'm not wrong...

claimed bout $3k from his insurance company... hehehe...

wat i suggest...

get 3 days MC from private clinic, make a police report. u can be da witness for ur fren.

den jus wait...

i'm pretty sure ur fren will win da case...

good luck!

:thumb:

"at the end of the day, it's still the rider..."

i also had accident involving a taxi ..... the taxi driver came out say he sorry and give a face like he cannot lost the job and say claim from his insurance and admit he is in wrong... then he go IDAC say he was turning right ( but he is turning to do a illegal U-turn).... lucky the taxi company take my story and willing to pay for my repair.....

Now my fren alredy made a police report.

Most likely making claim from the driver.

but will the driver also make claim from my fren insurance?

If that is the case, his next insurance renewal is gonna shoot up like crazy huh?

The taxi driver can claim from your friend if he wants since your friend hit him from behind. And yes, after a claim, next year's insurance premium will be higher for your friend.

did he success in claiming you? did he pay the police fine and demrit point?

i got a more stun then you

the person hit me from my rear, police investigation concluded that he was at fault, fine + demerit points given to him

and the person came and claim me o_O

i also had accident involving a taxi ..... the taxi driver came out say he sorry and give a face like he cannot lost the job and say claim from his insurance and admit he is in wrong... then he go IDAC say he was turning right ( but he is turning to do a illegal U-turn).... lucky the taxi company take my story and willing to pay for my repair.....

you're lucky dude. most of them will protect their drivers and your insurance claim wont be easy, unless you got witnesses to back your story and stuff.

rien d'autre que le max.

did he success in claiming you? did he pay the police fine and demrit point?

im not too sure if the driver is gonna claim from my fren. no police were called in at that point of time, thus no fines and demerit points were given.:faint:

right now my fren leave everything for his bike shop to settle.

Now require me to become a witness, and bike shop ask to take down pictures of his injuries.

But on the other hand, not my friend at fault leh... how can taxi claim his insurance leh? like that not fair isnt it? it will cause my fren next insurance premium to increase.

1. If the taxi driver is really at fault, why be afraid to claim his insurance? You're a witness to the accident. Already, your friend is at an advantage.

2. You've got a police report made. If only your friend managed to get a 3 day MC, it would make things more easier. But since its over and done. Just go ahead and make the claim.

3, He can claim the whole world for all your friend can care. Nobody can stop him from doing so.

4. The claim is still being processed. Its not even confirmed that his claim against your friend will be successful. If the claim is not successful, there will not be any increase in your friend's premium. So there is nothing your friend can do but to claim on the taxi driver's insurance jialat jialat. Then leave to the insurance co. to fight it out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Arcfire/PGforumbike.jpg

Jun 2002 - May 2003 ~ NSR150SP

May2003 - Dec 2006 ~ GSXR400RR

Oct 2006 - Present ~ Burgman AN400K3