If it's not broke, don't fix it, right? As the famous saying goes, Husqvarna has taken heed to this and their model range for 2021, namely the Vitpilen 401 and Svartpilen 401, is almost exactly the same as the 2020 model of the bike. So if you've worried that you might have missed the boat, fret not, as you can walk in to DirtWheel and get the exact same model.
The sweet little machines ride on the same basic gear that sits under the KTM 390 Duke and RC 390, which means you get premium suspension and a punchy, economical single-cylinder engine.
The fact that Husky made no changes to the little rippers this year is testament to their spec and desirability. Think of this as the Swedes electing not to fix something that is very much not broken. Both bikes are admirable commuters, and both make short work of twisty roads where more cubic centimeters could spell disaster. The idea here is to make full use of every one of the bikes’ 44 hp, rather than letting yourself be ridden by something that belongs on a track.
Both bikes come with an absolutely stacked spec sheet. You get a Power Assist and Slipper Clutch (PASC), with Easy Shift, which allows you to bang up and down the gears without touching the clutch. The ByBre brakes have ABS with a supermoto mode, which lets you lock and slide the rear wheel.
To keep weight and power in check, Husqvarna spec’d adjustable WP Apex 43mm open-cartridge USD fork and WP Apex rear shock.
2021 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401 and Svartpilen 401
- Engine: 373cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled single; 4 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 89.0 x 60.0mm
- Compression Ratio: 12.6:1
- Fuel Delivery: Electronic fuel injection w/ 46mm throttle body
- Clutch: Wet, multiplate mechanical assist and slipper
- Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/chain
- Frame: Tubular steel trellis
- Front Suspension: 43mm WP Apex inverted fork, fully adjustable; 5.6 in. travel
- Rear Suspension: WP Apex single shock, fully adjustable; 5.9 in. travel
- Front Brakes: Radial-mounted ByBre 4-piston, radial master cylinder, 320mm disc w/ ABS
- Rear Brake: ByBre 1-piston floating caliper, 230mm disc w/ ABS
- Wheels, Front/Rear: Spoked alloy; 17 x 3.0 in. / 17 x 4.0 in.
- Tires, Front/Rear: Metzeler M5 (Vitpilen)/Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR (Svartpilen); 110/70-17 / 150/60-17
- Wheelbase: 54.0 in.
- Rake/Trail: 25.0°/3.7 in.
- Seat Height: 32.9 in.
- Fuel Capacity: 2.5 gal.
- Claimed Dry Weight: 333 lb.54 (Vitpilen) /335 lb. (Svartpilen)
- Warranty: 2-year unlimited mileage
- Available: Now
- Contact: husqvarna-motorcycles.com