Triumph has recently expanded its popular Speed Triple range with the introduction of the 1200 RR - which was unveiled to journalist just 2 weeks ago. What Triumph brought to the fair was hands down on of the most impression launches in recent times - with a big part of that awe coming from just how jaw-dropping the 2022 Triumph Street Triple 1200 RR looked. Dare we say, this could be one of the most beautiful cafe racers to ever grace our eyes in recent times but without all the traditional niggles and problems of yesteryear motorcycles?
TRIUMPH Motorcycles are distributed exclusively in Singapore by:
Mah Pte Ltd
Address: 1179 Serangoon Rd, Singapore 328232
Phone: 6295 6393
Contact them today for special deal for SingaporeBikes.com members!
Bringing a retro feel, the 1200 RR is based upon the Speed Triple 1200 RS which was released earlier in the year. The two share the same 178bhp 1160cc triple engine, but the RR takes a slightly more cafe racer-style approach to looks.
The most noticeable change between the two motorcycles is the fitment of a single round headlamp, which replaces the twin headlamps on the RS. This is joined by clip-on handlebars, while the footpegs have been moved backwards. Combined, they give a more forward-leaning riding position.
The RR incorporates Brembo brakes with 320mm discs, as well as lean-sensitive ABS. Adjustable Ohlins suspension is fitted as standard, too. They’re semi-active units, too, which means that they can be adjusted depending on the kind of riding you’re doing. Metzeler Racetec RR K3 tyres are fitted as well.
All bikes get a full-colour five-inch TFT screen, while Triumph shift assist with up and down quickshifter comes as standard too.
Here are 10 quick facts to get you antiquated with this latest offering from the British brand:
1. The big news from a performance perspective is the new semi-active Öhlins Smart EC 2.0 suspension with OBTi (Objective Based Tuning Interface) software. Servo motors for the damping adjustment controlled by constant computer monitoring give the 2022 Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RR the pinnacle of street suspension technology. The suspension is adjustable on the fly, and Triumph describes it as “track-derived” with the “performance of a supersport bike.”
2. The Speed Triple line has been known as a naked upright, but that doesn’t apply to the RR. The RR breaks with tradition, being a faired sportbike with clip-ons. It is a pure café racer.
3. Even a cursory look tells you that the RR has its own ergonomics. The grips are down a stunning 5.3 inches compared to the naked, upright RS, and moved forward nearly two inches—a huge difference. Triumph also moved the footpegs up and back slightly. It’s a seating position built for speed rather than comfort.
4. The fairing is upper-only, and is proudly led by a traditional round headlight. It’s not quite as retro and the MV Agusta Superveloce, being wider and more angular at the leading edge.
5. Although the motor is unchanged, the RR gets higher-spec tires. Triumph is mounting up Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP V3 tires on the RR’s cast-aluminum wheels, with Supercorsa SC2 V3 rubber available as an option. That will help harness the 177 horses produced at 10,750 rpm by the DOHC triple, as well as the brutish 92 ft-lbs of torque at 9000 rpm.
6. Carbon fiber is part of the RR’s upgraded package. The lightweight black stuff is used for various infills—tank, fairing, cockpit—plus the side panels and front fender.
7. Triumph is using “ultra-premium high-quality” candy paint for the Speed Triple RR. The Red Hopper & Strom Gray is the flashy choice, with the Crystal White & Storm Grey appealing to the sophisticated buyer who will appreciate its gold detailing and pinstriping.
2022 Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RS First Look: Specs
8. There are a few other RR-specific upgrades worth mentioning. The handlebar clamp is branded Speed Triple. Additionally, the belly pan and seat cowling are color-matched. Don’t worry if you want to ride two-up—the RR included a pillion seat that you can install instead of the seat cowling.
9. Triumph did a complete reboot of the Speed Triple this year. You will want to know about the Brembo braking system, highly customizable rider modes, the up/down quickshifter, and the full electronics suite (including the My Triumph connectivity system for your smartphone, developed in cooperation with Google and GoPro).
10. The Speed Triple RR can be fitted with a variety of Triumph accessories. There’s everything from machined billet-aluminum goodies to an anti-theft system to luggage. Oh, and to keep the RR looking good, there are frame and fork protectors, plus a rubber tank pad.
If your heart is fluttering as are ours, you’ll have to wait until January to take delivery on a 2022 Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RR. Triumph Motorcycles are distributed in Singapore exclusively by Mah Pte Ltd. Do reach out to them to arrange for a test ride and let them know SingaporeBikes.com sent you - They'll take really good care of you.
See below for Triumph's official Global Launch Video of the 2022 Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RR:
And see here for Bike World's first look video!