SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Group] TRIUMPH Speed Triple Riders

desewer

join us for the trip leh..

staying at home not healthy for the balls :cheeky:

he's still healthy maybe because he doesnt have any :angel:

Most people go through life following the crowd.

Others think for themselves.

They go their own way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi,

Thinking of getting a triumph Street or speed. May i know does the two bike come with gear indicator on the console?

Thank you

Hi Moonster,

Yes the Street and Speed do come with gear indicators. Just that mine displays "2" when I'm in 1st gear and sometimes "3" when I'm in 2nd gear ... :nono:

c26492.jpg

What !?? how can you live with that. It's just as good as not having the indicator. So the gear indicator are all like this or your is faulty? i have been searching the net and it seem that the speed triple do not have an on board gear indicator. Are you sure there is one on the speed triple 2009 model? Please advice. Thank you

All gear position indicators that I know of work on the same principles - engine rpm signal is "mapped" to road speed signal and displays the gear accordingly. I do not know of any that have a connection to the gearbox to "read" the physical position of the gears.

So they can all get 'confused' under certain circumstances, i.e.

a) Slip the clutch while riding may show lower gear than actual since engine speed is higher than expected road speed.

b) Ride to a stop then change gear at rest, indicator doesn't know you have changed gear since it has no road speed to compare to engine revs and will stay at last gear position it was certain about.

After market ones do the same as they work just the same, I have an Acumen and it works great but does the above as I have seen other makes do.

Vara is gone but back strain lingers on o_O

What !?? how can you live with that. It's just as good as not having the indicator. So the gear indicator are all like this or your is faulty? i have been searching the net and it seem that the speed triple do not have an on board gear indicator. Are you sure there is one on the speed triple 2009 model? Please advice. Thank you

Well it didn't happen to me 1 year ago. It started to behave like this 2 months ago. Actually gear inidicator isn't that important. Just change gear when you feel that the engine is not in the appropriate speed (rpm). All my previous bikes didn't have gear indicators.

I've checked with the agent. He confirmed that there is a gear indicator on the 09 Speed Triple. But I think you better go to the showroom to check it just to be sure.

All gear position indicators that I know of work on the same principles - engine rpm signal is "mapped" to road speed signal and displays the gear accordingly. I do not know of any that have a connection to the gearbox to "read" the physical position of the gears.

So they can all get 'confused' under certain circumstances, i.e.

a) Slip the clutch while riding may show lower gear than actual since engine speed is higher than expected road speed.

b) Ride to a stop then change gear at rest, indicator doesn't know you have changed gear since it has no road speed to compare to engine revs and will stay at last gear position it was certain about.

After market ones do the same as they work just the same, I have an Acumen and it works great but does the above as I have seen other makes do.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us :) It shows gear 2 when I am totally stopping at the red light (~1000rpm). I changed to gear 1 before the bike stops completely. I'm pretty sure there isn't anymore gears that I can kick down further. :( I've also tried changing from gear 2 to gear 1 while bike isn't moving (that was last year). So I'm not sure whether my bike's "gear sensor" works the way that you mentioned? Somehow I feel that the display senses the gear number by the number of kicks I give to the lever.

c26492.jpg

I'd have to check to be absolutely sure but I'd be very surprised if it counted lever prods otherwise it'd be even more easily confused. As I said the systems that work by revs / speed mapping need to make a comparison between road speed and engine revs so if you change while stopped or change and not let the clutch out it won't be able to make a correct comparison.

If you want to confirm that your St3 works like that you can test it like this, ride along in say 3rd gear at about 3000 rpm with the clutch lever released and gear indicator showing 3, pull the clutch lever in and allow the revs to drop to idle, observe the gear indicator and see if it changes to 4 or higher. The only reason it might not do that is if the system also sense you have pulled the clutch lever in.

I didn't realise the St3 had this function, the Tiger doesn't and I thought they shared the same instrument pack, that has me thinking now o_O

Vara is gone but back strain lingers on o_O

I'd have to check to be absolutely sure but I'd be very surprised if it counted lever prods otherwise it'd be even more easily confused. As I said the systems that work by revs / speed mapping need to make a comparison between road speed and engine revs so if you change while stopped or change and not let the clutch out it won't be able to make a correct comparison.

If you want to confirm that your St3 works like that you can test it like this, ride along in say 3rd gear at about 3000 rpm with the clutch lever released and gear indicator showing 3, pull the clutch lever in and allow the revs to drop to idle, observe the gear indicator and see if it changes to 4 or higher. The only reason it might not do that is if the system also sense you have pulled the clutch lever in.

I didn't realise the St3 had this function, the Tiger doesn't and I thought they shared the same instrument pack, that has me thinking now o_O

I went for a ride just now. Even before riding off, I tried changing gears up and down and the inidicator changes accordingly. So I guess it really doesn't measure the engine speed, instead, just by how many times I kick the lever :lol: I guess some tiny circuit board or switch near the gear lever is knonking out soon. And I've only had 8000km on the bike ... :(

Yohji, don't know if you have seen this of the
(TT road course)

Get your adrenaline pumping even if you can't see much of the road ahead.

Yeah I watched it before! Really gets my heart pumping and wanting to go for a ride! Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

BTW are you going for the Port Dickson ride?

c26492.jpg

Thanks, look forward to that :thumb:

I Checked on the RAT forum and the feedback was that there is switching within the gearbox and the problem you have is not uncommon (others have the same issue) but needs a new part. You should be able to get it done under warranty.

Thanks for helping me do research :D I got to visit the shop one day. Just worried that I can't simulate the problem when I'm there. It's gonna be a wasted trip because "everything will be ok".

c26492.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Calling all Animal Lovers,

Please support this event

Annual ride to Noah's Ark Natural Animal Sanctuary

Regards

Nemesis

Regardless of race,religion and gender.

We sworn to our duty and honour.

We carry out our duty as a team and not indivdual.

We protect the Honour and interest of the TEAM.

Because,

We are all BIKERS

Just came back from the workshop. Seems like the gear sensor thingy near the gear kick lever has gone a little koo koo. It's a mechanical/electronic thing that senses movements from the gear lever and changes the gear number on the display accordingly. It's not servicable. So agent will claim a new one under warranty.

Also saw the new Daytona 675 SE in glittering pearl white body with blue flakes & a glittering blue frame. Dam bloody nice!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

c26492.jpg

bet with u he wun trade in.

i also want to bet on this one

its a sure winner!!

Can I bet too? I also bet I won't trade in!

no u cant!

insider trading!!

then u will be in jail n have to add us as subriders to take care of yr bikes.

haha :p

Most people go through life following the crowd.

Others think for themselves.

They go their own way.

I have the opportunity to try my friend's street triple r. Just a quick question. Does this bike have any engine braking? It sure feels like a two-stroke engine! Love the Zard exhaust note and the whirling engine noise!

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8475/cbrnaked.jpg

I have the opportunity to try my friend's street triple r. Just a quick question. Does this bike have any engine braking? It sure feels like a two-stroke engine! Love the Zard exhaust note and the whirling engine noise!

Yes minime! Of course it has engine braking and it's quite strong. 2-stroke engine? How come? Hate 2-strokes (irritating noise and smelly 2T fumes) and it gets worse when it's ridden by irritating young punks. I wonder if there is anything wrong with their ears or brains (breathe in too much 2T?). Seems like they ENJOY the irritating noise from the teeny weeny exhaust.

Why I detest them so much? Come stay at my house for 1 week and you'll know. Absolutely hate them to the core.

:gun::gun::gun::gun:

BTW, the agent now has Street Triple R for free test ride. You might want to go try it out :)

c26492.jpg

Yes minime! Of course it has engine braking and it's quite strong. 2-stroke engine? How come? Hate 2-strokes (irritating noise and smelly 2T fumes) and it gets worse when it's ridden by irritating young punks. I wonder if there is anything wrong with their ears or brains (breathe in too much 2T?). Seems like they ENJOY the irritating noise from the teeny weeny exhaust.

Why I detest them so much? Come stay at my house for 1 week and you'll know. Absolutely hate them to the core.

:gun::gun::gun::gun:

BTW, the agent now has Street Triple R for free test ride. You might want to go try it out :)

My already riding one. haha...

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8475/cbrnaked.jpg