SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Honda RVF400 Riders

acidhurt

Which is the dream color for your RVF400??  

427 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the dream color for your RVF400??

• Rothmans design.
    • RCV211 style Repsol design.
    • White/blue Moviestar design (older version).
    • Current Blue Moviestar design.
    • Pramac design.
    • Original Is da best.
    • ELF design.
    • Rossi's Yr 2001 NSR500 Nastro Azzuro design.
    • RCV211 Yellow Camel design.
    • Others (specify accordingly).

• Replies 63k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MC28

• wait4me

• DaN zI

• lwfc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by Rvf33@Nov 1 2004, 09:14 PM

not really.... batt also cannot be over charge... the range between 13 & 14 is still the ideal voltage....

well the experts at planet motor say so....so i'm quite confused.:confused:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5048/10304130.jpg

"But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth."

Originally posted by Rvf33@Nov 1 2004, 09:24 PM

for normal voltage when u didn't rev is at 13-14v... but when u rev normally will go up to 14+ becos of electricity going to the bike.... but when u install a new batt into ur bike the batt wun charge so fast unless u ride for some time...

oic...but when rev, it showed less than 14V.:weep:

"But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth."

so one thing i can confirm is that your charging coil is not spoilt........

if the charging coil is spoilt the voltmeter will not move at all....

how much you got the rectifier for man?

Live to Ride , Ride to Live

May 2001 - Dec 2003 Kawasaki KRR150

Dec 2003 - Aug 2005 Honda RVF400

Aug 2005 - Jan 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 2003

Feb 2007 - ?????????? Hyper Vtec Spec III

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/paulabusa/DSCF0028_edited-1.jpg

Originally posted by Rvf33@Nov 1 2004, 09:28 PM

cos ur batt still new mah.... when u change it? which reactifier u brought?

Well they say they hav the newer version type tat has a heatsinkin on top of it.Changed it todae.Still need to go back to them for them to dismental the engine casket.Well they insist.:weep:

Originally posted by PauLaBuSa@Nov 1 2004, 09:26 PM

so one thing i can confirm is that your charging coil is not spoilt........

if the charging coil is spoilt the voltmeter will not move at all....

how much you got the rectifier for man?

at planet motor, they quote me $110...brand new type.:weep:

Originally posted by ProjectD@Nov 1 2004, 10:00 PM

Well they say they hav the newer version type tat has a heatsinkin on top of it.Changed it todae.Still need to go back to them for them to dismental the engine casket.Well they insist.:weep:

huh?? change reactifier, then dismental engine casket for wat?

Hi Taichi,

Of the 3 things your mech at MW said...i only agreed with one. That is the fact that our bikes need to be ridden long distance once in awhile to FUlly charge the battery up.

The reason why batteries kept failing is because the acid in the batteries cells begins to sulphate (chemical deterioration of the sulphuric acid which will corrode and destroy the battery plates) due to constant deep discharging. It takes alot outta the battery (deep discharging) whenever you start up yr bike (esp so for elect starter bikes). So lez say you always start up yr bike and ride it for only a 5 mins journey, the battery is not going to recieve enough recharging voltage from the rectifier.

Keep it up for a few months and your brand new battery will soon meet its maker.

I can explain more in details of how batteries like to be charged but it may be too much here so just remember to ride your bike for a good 15-30mins whenever you can so that the battery can be charged up full to prevent the acid from sulphating.

As for the grounding thingy....i find it a useless and needless expense. Dun be "phychoed" into spending your $65, our bikes are not like cars which has many voltage draining devices like aircon, aftermarket high wattage sound systems....etc etc...... so adding those 'grounding' pays no dividends except adding weight!

3rdly..... It has been tested, proven and proven time and time again (even by angmor RVFians in AUstralia, England)..... Honda's OEM Rectifier (no fins) is the main cause of electrical failure in NC35s, so what the hell is the MW mech talking about? never use the previous version OEM rvf rectifier. the unit has no cooling fins and tends to be destroyed by heat.

The new rectifer (not sure oem anot) comes with a heat sink and has Huge convection fins to help dissipate heat better.

But as advised by a Ex-rvfian who rode his bike for 3 years, he said rectifiers ..fins or no fins every 1-2 years still need to replace (like scheduled servicing)....with the fins one maybe lasting u a little longer before total failure.

Lastly..... dun anyhow add stuff like electrical alarms as PeformanceBikes oncce stated that NC35s dun take well to such things (dunno why). With the exception of the headlight switch mod and getting the rectifer with fins , try to leave your bikes' electrical system virgin. Cause once u start to add this, add that, cut wire here, cut wire there...problems will come.

I stand by my above views for the past one year ++ riding the rvf and so far my metal fin rectifier hasnt failed me (yet) (touch wood la). My new battery gave up on me after 6 months becoz;

1) its dunno what fcuk brand GPR...try to get Yuasa.

2) i kept starting my bike up for a 3 mins ride to Macdonalds which is only a few blocks away...so go figure!

You Tailgate, I Jam Brake!

To Eliminate that False sense of achievement , Pick on bikes your own c.c.

http://www.geocities.com/infieldg/images/dirk_b_rc30.jpg

so guys normal volt meter reading is 13-14 when idling... when rev it goes higher, anithing below 13 is consider signs of weak batt etc.. am i rite ?

'R6' RedlineRocketRedesignRazor sharpRevolutionaryReward 6.

http://content.wicms.com/shared/images/YAMAHA_Common_Images/Logos/yamaha_logo_red.gif

nice info shay!!

juz a poll here ,how many buy yr rvf from shop compare to private owner? ani problems/ changes faced upon riding for 1mth onwards ?

buy from shop

buy from po

pls contributate ah ! tks ! :)

'R6' RedlineRocketRedesignRazor sharpRevolutionaryReward 6.

http://content.wicms.com/shared/images/YAMAHA_Common_Images/Logos/yamaha_logo_red.gif

Guest TachiTJRS
Originally posted by Shay@Nov 1 2004, 10:36 PM

Hi Taichi,

Of the 3 things your mech at MW said...i only agreed with one. That is the fact that our bikes need to be ridden long distance once in awhile to FUlly charge the battery up.

The reason why batteries kept failing is because the acid in the batteries cells begins to sulphate (chemical deterioration of the sulphuric acid which will corrode and destroy the battery plates) due to constant deep discharging. It takes alot outta the battery (deep discharging) whenever you start up yr bike (esp so for elect starter bikes). So lez say you always start up yr bike and ride it for only a 5 mins journey, the battery is not going to recieve enough recharging voltage from the rectifier.

Keep it up for a few months and your brand new battery will soon meet its maker.

I can explain more in details of how batteries like to be charged but it may be too much here so just remember to ride your bike for a good 15-30mins whenever you can so that the battery can be charged up full to prevent the acid from sulphating.

As for the grounding thingy....i find it a useless and needless expense. Dun be "phychoed" into spending your $65, our bikes are not like cars which has many voltage draining devices like aircon, aftermarket high wattage sound systems....etc etc...... so adding those 'grounding' pays no dividends except adding weight!

3rdly..... It has been tested, proven and proven time and time again (even by angmor RVFians in AUstralia, England)..... Honda's OEM Rectifier (no fins) is the main cause of electrical failure in NC35s, so what the hell is the MW mech talking about? never use the previous version OEM rvf rectifier. the unit has no cooling fins and tends to be destroyed by heat.

The new rectifer (not sure oem anot) comes with a heat sink and has Huge convection fins to help dissipate heat better.

But as advised by a Ex-rvfian who rode his bike for 3 years, he said rectifiers ..fins or no fins every 1-2 years still need to replace (like scheduled servicing)....with the fins one maybe lasting u a little longer before total failure.

Lastly..... dun anyhow add stuff like electrical alarms as PeformanceBikes oncce stated that NC35s dun take well to such things (dunno why). With the exception of the headlight switch mod and getting the rectifer with fins , try to leave your bikes' electrical system virgin. Cause once u start to add this, add that, cut wire here, cut wire there...problems will come.

I stand by my above views for the past one year ++ riding the rvf and so far my metal fin rectifier hasnt failed me (yet) (touch wood la). My new battery gave up on me after 6 months becoz;

2) i kept starting my bike up for a 3 mins ride to Macdonalds which is only a few blocks away...so go figure!

Domo Arigato my friend!!

You have given me the answers I want. Frankly, I have driving cars for the past 5 years and never owned a bike (although I passed my licenses) so you can be sure I was actually shocked when I discovered that modern sports bikes have different problems (especially the RVF). Bikes lack an alternator unlike cars so I have read many methods on the net regarding the upkeeping of our NC35 battery and rectifier.

I will take you suggestion that grounding may not work, but a website below recommends it. Check it out.

http://www.motorcyclelane.com/electrical.html

Anyway, I totally agree on leaving the stock wiring as untouched as possible.

Thanks a million!

Guest TachiTJRS
Originally posted by Rvf33@Nov 2 2004, 02:57 PM

juz a poll here ,how many buy yr rvf from shop compare to private owner? ani problems/ changes faced upon riding for 1mth onwards ?

buy from shop

buy from po

1. Rvf33 (no problem)

private owner? ani problems/ changes faced upon riding for 1mth onwards ?

buy from shop

1. TachiTJRS (so far so good)

buy from po

1. Rvf33 (no problem)

Originally posted by Rvf33@Nov 1 2004, 10:08 PM

huh?? change reactifier, then dismental engine casket for wat?

They wan to see why the chargin not fully when rev at high.:confused:

Originally posted by TachiTJRS@Nov 2 2004, 04:12 PM

buy from shop

buy from po

1. Rvf33 (no problem)

buy from shop

2. paulabusa (alot of electrical problem, but i guess thats normal? i guess its been

'rectified'? haha)

buy from po

1. Rvf33 (no problem)

Originally posted by Shay@Nov 1 2004, 10:36 PM

Hi Taichi,

hey man, actually when MW says about travelling long distance doesnt mean 15-30mins onli , they mean to go realli long distance.... like an hour or 2 will be enough........... so touring might be good.... :sweat:

they offered me the same advise months ago..... :sweat: :cheer:

Originally posted by Rvf33@Nov 2 2004, 06:33 PM

for wat i noe only when the bike is moving then the batt will charge... so how much they charge u for checking?

Probably my bro will send to planet motor this comin Sat for inspection.Will let u knoe in full detail.:cheeky:

hey man since all here how about an outing to chat and la kopi?

today also can weekend also can..........