SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Suzuki Impulse GSX 400

Zon

That's a lot of info and u're making me salivating over those nice sceneries! sounds really nice! I'm looking forward man!

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that's close enough.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

heya.. nice meeting you two. :)

well... i didnt manage to find any loose wiring around the headlights area. However, i did manage to fix on my scott-oiler. :D

The best way to console a depressed girl: Offer your shoulder.

The best way to console a depressed guy: Suck Thumb la Brother.

1998 Suzuki GSX 400 Impulse - June'07 to ?

2001 Phantom TA200 - Aug'06 to June'07

this thread has become more of a discussion thread than a specs and review thread. haha... but its a good get-together for impulse owners!

Nice meeting y'all too. I'll call you if I'm going for half-day exploratory rides, but that'll be after a month's time since you've new on this bike. I don't get lost in M'sia, so don't worry. I'll be calling 2 other friends for this coming Saturday ride. They're pretty fast, 1000, 1200cc bikes. Accidents do happen, which was what happened 5 trips ago, either in Dec or Jan, can't remember which.

And then I'll plan a Cameron Highlands trip if there's interest. I'll usually book a pretty secluded bungalow(subjected to availability) which has 5 double-rooms and a private driveway with parking compound - very safe and private. I've always enjoyed Camerons especially in December.

And jleo, camping is more beautiful and enjoyable along the Malaysia's coastal areas in the East. Stretching from North of Sungei Rengit(Pengarang district, past the ostrich farm, factories, etc. - at the end), Teluk Sangat(sleeping village, seafood, kelong on Johor River), Desaru(past the hotels), Sedili Kechil(Jason's Bay - water's brackish cos fed from the river, so I won't swim here - but I've fished here) - and if you reach Sedili Besar early, like 7 am, you can watch the fishing boats come in and the fish-packing(we, my family, liked this), Sebana Cove Resort(fireflies watching - Benut also have, but I've never searched for fireflies there).

Don't camp at night along the beach at Mersing town - gays and drug-takers congregate at night there. That beach South of the town is pretty secluded though(read-dangerous), I think I remember passing an Army camp. But have to watch out for sandflies - they're profilerating along the East Coast since the early 80's. My first experience of sandflies bites was on Babi Besar in 1982.

Then there are beaches between Endau and Kuantan, and of course, Kuantan to Dungun to Kuala Trengganu(now only 3 sightings during turtle season - pathetic - I saw 2 within a night a long time ago and stayed with the 2nd turtle from 2am till dawn). Check into the big hotel(can't remember its name - oh yes, it was Pantai Primula, if it's still there) by the beach at Kuala Trengganu, beautiful sea/beach view if your room faces the sea.

There are also 6(maybe 7 or more - Endau Forest Reserve) waterfalls accessible by roads in Johore itself -Kota Tinggi, Pulai, Kahang, Bekok, Ophir and one in-between Muar and Pagoh. What I did last time was to go down to the Malaysian Tourist Centre at Cecil Street and take brochures of Waterfalls of Malaysia, Hill Resorts of Malaysia, Beaches of Malaysia, Places of Interests of every State and I'd drive in with my family. We'd explore side roads, etc.

But that was when I had a car and my children weren't in secondary school yet. I'm thinking of re-visiting these places again with my bike.

Sorry, so long-winded:P .

Thanks for the heads up. Would check ard there this coming 2 public holidays!

A pleasure to have met you guys...

Hi all, need help from u guys... got a little problem with my bike, tried trouble shooting but to no avail...

1st problem... my headlight doesn't turn on when my key is turn to the on position. it normally does. even revving doesn't get it on. the high beam works. I've checked the bulb and tested with another bulb. the bulbs are alright so i think there's a problem with the electrical connection. I've tried opening the assembly of switches on the left hand side on the handlebar to trace the wire, but one of the screws is too tight to be opened. Anyone can help me get me headlight on again?

2nd, I didn't ride my bike as the rain was extremly heavy today. aft the rain stopped, i went to ride the bike. the bike has no power though it can still move. it jerks when i rev as though it has no fuel. so i switched to reserve and ride slightly longer, thinking that if water entered the tank, this might help get the water out. however, the bike still feels the same. could it be water entered the spark plugs area? or could it be water entered the tank?

Appreciate any help given. feel really helpless.

Hi all, need help from u guys... got a little problem with my bike, tried trouble shooting but to no avail...

1st problem... my headlight doesn't turn on when my key is turn to the on position. it normally does. even revving doesn't get it on. the high beam works. I've checked the bulb and tested with another bulb. the bulbs are alright so i think there's a problem with the electrical connection. I've tried opening the assembly of switches on the left hand side on the handlebar to trace the wire, but one of the screws is too tight to be opened. Anyone can help me get me headlight on again?

2nd, I didn't ride my bike as the rain was extremly heavy today. aft the rain stopped, i went to ride the bike. the bike has no power though it can still move. it jerks when i rev as though it has no fuel. so i switched to reserve and ride slightly longer, thinking that if water entered the tank, this might help get the water out. however, the bike still feels the same. could it be water entered the spark plugs area? or could it be water entered the tank?

1st item: Check for high/low beam switch contact. Or check for your grounding for your headlights. I have had this exact same issue on my old magna and it helped after the latter action.

For the screw that has seized, there are a few techniques u can try

1) impact driver - usually works but after that change the screws

2) use a phillips screwdriver, slot it in the thread. Firmly holding it perpendicular and knock. Apply WD40 ard the areas then try to remove screw w/o rounding it. Try this a few times.

Anyway in any case, change ur screws.

2nd Item: Experienced this when i 1st took over the bike. Seems like the symptoms of a wet plug. After rain the engine sputters like it has no fuel/running on 3 cyclinders(sounds like a twin). After the engine heats up on running some distance, it becs ok again. On removal of the tank, i found plug3(3rd from the sidestand) rusty and full of water. A change later and it worked fine.

THis is typical of IL4 bikes that are parked on sidestand. Cyclinder 3 top has a tendency to collect water more than the others.

Hope my inputs help.

1st item: Check for high/low beam switch contact. Or check for your grounding for your headlights. I have had this exact same issue on my old magna and it helped after the latter action.

For the screw that has seized, there are a few techniques u can try

1) impact driver - usually works but after that change the screws

2) use a phillips screwdriver, slot it in the thread. Firmly holding it perpendicular and knock. Apply WD40 ard the areas then try to remove screw w/o rounding it. Try this a few times.

Anyway in any case, change ur screws.

2nd Item: Experienced this when i 1st took over the bike. Seems like the symptoms of a wet plug. After rain the engine sputters like it has no fuel/running on 3 cyclinders(sounds like a twin). After the engine heats up on running some distance, it becs ok again. On removal of the tank, i found plug3(3rd from the sidestand) rusty and full of water. A change later and it worked fine.

THis is typical of IL4 bikes that are parked on sidestand. Cyclinder 3 top has a tendency to collect water more than the others.

Hope my inputs help.

thanks Jleo! learnt a lot! I just got a bike cover, from now on I'll cover the bike to prevent the plug from getting wet again.

as for the screw... I've tried ur 2nd method. I tried WD40 and some other type of lubricant, it still doesn't come out. the screw was already quite rounded when I tried to remove it. What's an impact driver? the screw is really stubborn. I think the problem lies with the contact but I feel quite helpless with that screw.:(

thanks Jleo! learnt a lot! I just got a bike cover, from now on I'll cover the bike to prevent the plug from getting wet again.

as for the screw... I've tried ur 2nd method. I tried WD40 and some other type of lubricant, it still doesn't come out. the screw was already quite rounded when I tried to remove it. What's an impact driver? the screw is really stubborn. I think the problem lies with the contact but I feel quite helpless with that screw.:(

Come by my place and I'll help you remove the screw, I also have spare screws. Try not to use an impact driver cos your switch housing is plastic and may crack when too much force is applied.

If you want to come, contact me for the address. I'm free 10am - 12noon or 3pm - 5pm tomorrow.

Come by my place and I'll help you remove the screw, I also have spare screws. Try not to use an impact driver cos your switch housing is plastic and may crack when too much force is applied.

If you want to come, contact me for the address. I'm free 10am - 12noon or 3pm - 5pm tomorrow.

thanks a lot for the offer Frank! you're my saviour! :angel:

1. ok, so its not a simple bulb issue like i initially thought. I have encountered this before, and in my case, it was water. Rem i shared with you and Frank, how i ended up removing the tank to drain out the water. Sounds similiar to what i encountered. I say this because the bike jerks as you felt loss of power - as though you ran out of fuel.

2. Rusty or very tight screws can be opened like jleo's suggestion - use wd40 with a screwdriver, and you need to knock the screwdriver into the screw. However, do take care, cos what youre knocking into must be able to withstand the force.

3. Oh, btw did you also check the fuse box? :cheeky:

1. ok, so its not a simple bulb issue like i initially thought. I have encountered this before, and in my case, it was water. Rem i shared with you and Frank, how i ended up removing the tank to drain out the water. Sounds similiar to what i encountered. I say this because the bike jerks as you felt loss of power - as though you ran out of fuel.

2. Rusty or very tight screws can be opened like jleo's suggestion - use wd40 with a screwdriver, and you need to knock the screwdriver into the screw. However, do take care, cos what youre knocking into must be able to withstand the force.

3. Oh, btw did you also check the fuse box? :cheeky:

thanks for the replies to Manjan, Jleo and Frank!

yup, checked the fuse box and bulb, all ok. tried removing the switches assembly but can't due to the stubborn screw. will head down to Frank's place later to get it done.

Thanks once again for all your help.

thanks for all your help! tested the light with 2 bulbs initially, didn't expect that both bulbs were spoilt!both filament looked ok. aft checking the contacts, the fuses and the connections, went to buy another bulb. and it works! wasted quite some time but learnt new things on the way.

thanks uncle Francis!

good to know it works. then the other thing how - about the jerking of the bike?

good to know it works. then the other thing how - about the jerking of the bike?

seems like the jerking disappeared. think maybe it was the wet weather. it doesn't happen weather is dry. thanks manjan!

Melvin,

Mayb you can ask yr mechanic to check the sparkplug for you the next time you send you bike for servicing. Cos i know how irritating the feeling is when the bike has the jerking feeling. Plus there might be time when you are stucked in the heavy rain and water slips into your spark plug again and the problem of bike jerking will resurface.

Cheers,

Beebee

Melvin,

Mayb you can ask yr mechanic to check the sparkplug for you the next time you send you bike for servicing. Cos i know how irritating the feeling is when the bike has the jerking feeling. Plus there might be time when you are stucked in the heavy rain and water slips into your spark plug again and the problem of bike jerking will resurface.

Cheers,

Beebee

yup, thanks for the advice!

seems like the jerking disappeared. think maybe it was the wet weather. it doesn't happen weather is dry. thanks manjan!

You've forgotten to tell my this problem. I would've checked it for you.

A jerky bike can be caused by various problems. Choked carb jets, water in fuel system(usually from pumping at petrol stations which has water in their storage tanks - esp M'sia stations), defective ignition system, sticky carburettor choke valve(or you've forgotten to turn off the choke lever), carb out-of-tune, spark plug caps not full inserted or too short(water can also seep in), etc.

Water in the spark plug access depression means that your spark plug cap isn't water-tight - easily checked, open up your spark plug caps after a rain and see if there's water collected.

You've forgotten to tell my this problem. I would've checked it for you.

A jerky bike can be caused by various problems. Choked carb jets, water in fuel system(usually from pumping at petrol stations which has water in their storage tanks - esp M'sia stations), defective ignition system, sticky carburettor choke valve(or you've forgotten to turn off the choke lever), carb out-of-tune, spark plug caps not full inserted or too short(water can also seep in), etc.

Water in the spark plug access depression means that your spark plug cap isn't water-tight - easily checked, open up your spark plug caps after a rain and see if there's water collected.

I think I'll need your help in this. Currently the bike is running normally, don't feel the jerks any more. I'll consult you all again when I encounter abnormal functioning. thanks for the learning points!

if it happens only during wet weather, this might indicate water in the plugs? otherwise, these issues would surface during normal weather too.

if it happens only during wet weather, this might indicate water in the plugs? otherwise, these issues would surface during normal weather too.

If the water in the spark plug slot is not removed, even in dry weather there'll still be improper ignition cos the water is causing a premature closed circuit to earth(shorting). So instead of the spark jumping the spark plug gap, the current is jumping from spark plug cable via the water to the cylinder head.

I think I'll need your help in this. Currently the bike is running normally, don't feel the jerks any more. I'll consult you all again when I encounter abnormal functioning. thanks for the learning points!

All d best 2 ur exams.

Uncle Frank, back from your trip? I believe you enjoyed as always.

anyway, any of u can direct me on how to install air horns and the headlight switch? ever since the previous meet up, had been wanting to install them. Loud horns save lives, as said by jleo. I remember that! haha... and Manjan, can i look u up for installing the headlight switch? I'm still in the midst of exams, but am really eager to make riding safer.

appreciate all of ur help. thanks for providing me more info of bikes. ups for impulse, and of cos suzuki!

Uncle Frank, back from your trip? I believe you enjoyed as always.

anyway, any of u can direct me on how to install air horns and the headlight switch? ever since the previous meet up, had been wanting to install them. Loud horns save lives, as said by jleo. I remember that! haha... and Manjan, can i look u up for installing the headlight switch? I'm still in the midst of exams, but am really eager to make riding safer.

appreciate all of ur help. thanks for providing me more info of bikes. ups for impulse, and of cos suzuki!

eh bro, air horn is illegal, must be an electric horn. You could get hella supertone like mine. i feel thats the loudest it gets for electric horns.

The switch thing, buy a switch from Sim Lim 1st, then when you free we arrange a meeting.:thumb: