SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Suzuki Impulse GSX 400

Zon

Uncle Frank, back from your trip? I believe you enjoyed as always.

anyway, any of u can direct me on how to install air horns and the headlight switch? ever since the previous meet up, had been wanting to install them. Loud horns save lives, as said by jleo. I remember that! haha... and Manjan, can i look u up for installing the headlight switch? I'm still in the midst of exams, but am really eager to make riding safer.

appreciate all of ur help. thanks for providing me more info of bikes. ups for impulse, and of cos suzuki!

I tested and confirmed my bike's full tank(18 lit capacity) travelling distance today- pumped till almost overflow at GP Esso, travelled to Jemaluang then back till bike totally die on the NSH just after Kulai re-entry - 284.6 km. :D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

eh bro, air horn is illegal, must be an electric horn. You could get hella supertone like mine. i feel thats the loudest it gets for electric horns.

The switch thing, buy a switch from Sim Lim 1st, then when you free we arrange a meeting.:thumb:

yup, that was wat i mean, electric horn. checked out with Frank that day, my horns are working, pretty loud actually, juz that sometimes its not loud enough, maybe installing a relay aft my exams.

for the headlight switch, thanks in advance! will contact u again aft i buy the switch!

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that's close enough.

I tested and confirmed my bike's full tank(18 lit capacity) travelling distance today- pumped till almost overflow at GP Esso, travelled to Jemaluang then back till bike totally die on the NSH just after Kulai re-entry - 284.6 km. :D

Wow, i'll have to wait till next year b4 i get my class 2, really wana try the power of it. great that u enjoyed! thanks for helping out yesterday again!

• 2 weeks later...

Get To Know/Understand Yourself And Your Bike -

Anyone wanna ride up to Jemaluang(just before Mersing) tomorrow Sat 3rd May?

0700hr at GP Esso - NSH - Kulai - Kota Tinggi - Jemaluang - breakfast - Kota Tinggi - Kulai - NSH - GP Esso.

I'll be going pretty slow cos my wife's coming along(her first time up M'sia on this bike). I might also bring along some Impulse spares - 1 coil, ignition module just in case, but not tyre repair kit.

Don't worry, I'll watch out for whoever are first-timers, i.e., if you know the way, I'll be the last bike; but if you don't know the way, I'll be just ahead of you so that you can see where I turn.

Also, sorry so last minute. That's because it's also last-minute that my wife confirmed going, so I thought it's suitable to check whether any of you interested. There'll be around 2-3 other bikes going(one of them just started riding again, that's why I'm again last bike this time round) - they can go ahead while we cruise along comfortably but always maintaining a 50m distance between bikes, cos we'll wait for each other, not race.

Speeds:

1) North-South highway -- 120 to 140kph for overtaking, faster if you're comfortable

2) Straight trunk road, light traffic -- 110 to 130kph or follow those in front still keeping 50m distance

3) Corners -- any speed that you're comfortable

4) Overtaking -- always drop down to a suitable gear to accelerate for quick overtaking cos excessive time spent on the other side of the road is dangerous.

Bring:

1) A valid passport

2) Malaysia ringgit (around 60 for petrol, add ringgit for food, emergency funds, etc.) Generally 200 ringgit is ok. I usually bring around 300 - 400.

3) A well-maintained bike

4) A courteous, friendly, well-disciplined riding attitude

5) A well-rested you

Turn up tomorrow at Gelang Patah Esso station at 0700hr. We will leave there at 0715hr after topping-up.

Edited by Frank y

• 2 weeks later...
Get To Know/Understand Yourself And Your Bike -

Anyone wanna ride up to Jemaluang(just before Mersing) tomorrow Sat 3rd May?

Hey Frank, any trips planned for the coming weekend?

The best way to console a depressed girl: Offer your shoulder.

The best way to console a depressed guy: Suck Thumb la Brother.

1998 Suzuki GSX 400 Impulse - June'07 to ?

2001 Phantom TA200 - Aug'06 to June'07

Hey Frank, any trips planned for the coming weekend?

No. Anyway, most of my rides are decided just a day or two before the actual ride.

how have all of u been? anw, wana enquire about 2 things:

1. can super 4's tyre fit impulse? 2nd hand tyre recommendable? i thought i heard somewhere that the width of super 4's tyre is too wide or something, but this mechanic told me can fit, better for cornering too. I'll certainly like a wider wheel base, my rear tyre is getting botak soon, hope to receive advice here.

2. my bike hasn't been starting smoothly when electric starting (cranking?). cranking and slight throttle will normally get the bike started, but ever since my servicing (changing plugs and EO), it's like quite "laggy" in starting, feeling like not enough fuel. but aft repeatedly cranking and throttling more will start the bike normally again. is there any problem with my bike?

thanks in advance for all your advices and guidances.

1. can super 4's tyre fit impulse? 2nd hand tyre recommendable? i thought i heard somewhere that the width of super 4's tyre is too wide or something, but this mechanic told me can fit, better for cornering too. I'll certainly like a wider wheel base, my rear tyre is getting botak soon, hope to receive advice here.

2. my bike hasn't been starting smoothly when electric starting (cranking?). cranking and slight throttle will normally get the bike started, but ever since my servicing (changing plugs and EO), it's like quite "laggy" in starting, feeling like not enough fuel. but aft repeatedly cranking and throttling more will start the bike normally again. is there any problem with my bike?

Super4 tyres do fit, but take note that different versions of Super4s have different tyre sizes.

Try Dunlop Arrowmax. Good value for money, as much grip as you need, lasts very long. Rear tyre size is 150, but you can go for 160 width if you want.

:cool:

Super4 tyres do fit, but take note that different versions of Super4s have different tyre sizes.

Try Dunlop Arrowmax. Good value for money, as much grip as you need, lasts very long. Rear tyre size is 150, but you can go for 160 width if you want.

thanks for the reply. i guess i'll go for 2nd hand tires. tight on budget.

mine has the same issue too. well.. im guessing its the age of the bike that plays a part here. another thing is.. is this 'cranking' the first of the day? usually in the mornings, it would take a few tries to get it going.

1. I suggest you try cold start, i.e. throttle a tiny bit as you crank. As the engine starts to cough, maintain your grip on the throttle for abt 5 secs, so that the engine doesnt die off. this will get the bike started a little faster.

2. Another suggestion is to check your idling. When you start the bike, what is the rpm? Below 500, 750, 1000 ?? If it is below 500, v likely you need to increase the idling a lil bit. And also check what is the idling, after you have moved off and reached your destination. Is it 1000, 1200, 1400 ??? Betwn 1000-1200 should be fine. I tend to prefer closer to 1000.

mine has the same issue too. well.. im guessing its the age of the bike that plays a part here. another thing is.. is this 'cranking' the first of the day? usually in the mornings, it would take a few tries to get it going.

1. I suggest you try cold start, i.e. throttle a tiny bit as you crank. As the engine starts to cough, maintain your grip on the throttle for abt 5 secs, so that the engine doesnt die off. this will get the bike started a little faster.

2. Another suggestion is to check your idling. When you start the bike, what is the rpm? Below 500, 750, 1000 ?? If it is below 500, v likely you need to increase the idling a lil bit. And also check what is the idling, after you have moved off and reached your destination. Is it 1000, 1200, 1400 ??? Betwn 1000-1200 should be fine. I tend to prefer closer to 1000.

thanks for ur suggestion bro! mine sounds normal like what u say, just start RPM above 500, idling aft started is about 1100. my suspicion arose because before my servicing, one crank even w/o throttling will get the bike started.

also, i'm not too sure if it is true, I do feel that my bike has less power nowadays. is it psychological? could it bcos i'm getting more used to an impulse, that's y i dont feel it's initial surge i used to feel? if not, what could be wrong if i feel less power? my definition of power is when i whacked the throttle last time, it gives me real fast acceleration, now i dont really feel the same. not need for speed, just wondering if something is not going on well with the bike.

thanks for ur suggestion bro! mine sounds normal like what u say, just start RPM above 500, idling aft started is about 1100. my suspicion arose because before my servicing, one crank even w/o throttling will get the bike started.

also, i'm not too sure if it is true, I do feel that my bike has less power nowadays. is it psychological? could it bcos i'm getting more used to an impulse, that's y i dont feel it's initial surge i used to feel? if not, what could be wrong if i feel less power? my definition of power is when i whacked the throttle last time, it gives me real fast acceleration, now i dont really feel the same. not need for speed, just wondering if something is not going on well with the bike.

Hmm.. i share the same view. i concluded mine as psychological. Cos i rem that initially i found my previous bike (phantom) quite ok. Then in time to come, i found it v slow! :cheeky: So i concluded that this is an example of getting used to my current ride, and being comfy w my usual cruising speed. :thumb:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest fyghter

Hi guys, been reading up all ur threads.....cool n nice bikes u guys have!!!

The more I look at an Impulse, the more 'Impulse' I get.....

Really love the half vintage half naked bike look of impulse.

Anyone selling their impulse or anyone seen any impulse selling at any bike shops?

Thanks in advance

Btw, jus my 2 cents worth of opinion.....I really feel that this thread should be moved to naked bike section....It rocks man!!!

• 2 weeks later...
hi guys. New impulse rider here. Mind sharing which shops do u guys frequent to service your bike?

I usually go to First Motor (only shop i found having Rock Oil) or Bike Werkz at Ubi. Then again, this is subjective and most shops are okay, if you feel the price is okay. :)

Just curious, what Engine Oil do the other Impulse Riders use? Any idea which shop carry Shell E.O. and might do E.O. change. I went to Albert and they only do for in-house.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
how is everyone's impulse doing? :cool:

Unfortunately, scrapped my Impulse recently.

Sent in:- frame, engine, wheels, tyres, forks, swingarm, radiator.

The rest retained:- tank, carbs n some manifolds, bitubo shocks, Veypor meter, ignition n electrical n sparkplug cables, coils, starter, ac gene, after-market lights and indicators, footpegs n brackets, motard handlebar, switches, internal storage container, seat release mechanism, L&R levers, coolant reservoir, calipers n pumps, brake master cylinders, mono seat, etc.

Edited by Frank y

Unfortunately, scrapped my Impulse recently.

Sent in:- frame, engine, wheels, tyres, forks, swingarm, radiator.

The rest retained:- tank, carbs n some manifolds, bitubo shocks, Veypor meter, ignition n electrical n sparkplug cables, coils, starter, ac gene, after-market lights and indicators, footpegs n brackets, motard handlebar, switches, internal storage container, seat release mechanism, L&R levers, coolant reservoir, calipers n pumps, brake master cylinders, mono seat, etc.

I wonder but haven't checked, whether some of these can be used for my other GSX.

your other gsx would mean the inuzama rite? i was interested in the tank, cos mine cant drain off excess rainwater but i have confirmed there is nothing wrong w the seal. by the way, this one that was scrapped is Samir's impulse?

Yes, Samir's. A bit too dangerous to ride cos the bike's geometry changed too much, there were also forks problem, radiator clearance problem - all of which costs too much to rectify. Also, didn't want to kill anyone by selling it off. :)

Edited by Frank y

• 1 month later...

How is everyone's impulse doing?? :cool:

Its about time mine goes for some servicing. Oil change, oil filter, plugs.

On another note, my spark plug caps are not original and sometimes super heavy rain, the 2nd plug from right will get wet despite the industrial sealant. Im considering getting new original spark plug caps. I found out the price to be $22 per cap. Any idea how long these things will last before experiencing any leak? im trying to weigh and compare the occasional misfiring and replacing of one $8 spark plug.

• 2 months later...