SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

honda blackbird

roadtoad

Guest heiniao

The blackbird and haya are very different bikes. I don't own a haya but I hang out with haya owners.

What you have to understand from the outset is that Suzuki designed the Haya to kill the blackbird. Whether they have actually succeeded in doing so is anybody's guess at the moment.

The following factors are relevant:

FACTORS FOR BLACKBIRD

Reliability

The blackbird has been around since 1996. All technical problems that could have arisen, have already arisen for the engineers to correct over the years. It's like comparing the F-15 to the Eurofighter (something which Mindef is currently considering). One has been around more than the other.

Refinement

The bb engine is more refined. Smoother, more sedate. It's same with the CBR vs GSXR.

Comfort

The Haya is more of a sports bike, so with the bb you lean less forward. If you are riding long distances, the blackbird is more comfortable than the Haya.

Safety

The blackbird has dual CBS, which means that when you apply the brakes to any one wheel, two out of four brake calipers in the other wheel will also apply. This reduces the chances of skidding and losing control, especially during wet weather.

Road Tax

The formula for calculating road tax for big bikes is

$320 + 0.6 x (EC - 1,000)

* where EC is your bike's engine capacity.

It therefore follows that the BB has a lower road tax because it's engine capacity is 1137cc, whereas the Hayabusa is around 1300cc. That also explains the performance angle.

FACTORS FOR HAYABUSA

Newer

The Haya is a newer design than the BB.

Performance

The Haya is more powerful and faster than the blackbird. Blackbird can go up to 300kmh but I think the Haya can go up to 311kmh. If that is important to you, go for the Haya.

Looks

This is a subjective one. Some people like the Haya for its mean, fierce look, and chinese words. Others, like me, dislike it's bubble appearance (Hayabubba) and front lights.

Clutch

Gear shifting in BB is more clunky. Heard that after a while BB has problems with shifting gear around 1st or 2nd.

I'm not saying the BB is better. Bikes are a passion, and you are putting your hard earned money on it. Just buy what you like, otherwise you will find that you keep admiring the bike that you really wanted whenever it whizzes past you.

Good luck in making your decision!

Some photos of my BB and my friends Haya in my website:

http://nt.per.sg/bike/perf.htm

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, after looking throught the posts, glad this thread is still kept alive.

Can i propose to have a namelist cos i have some diffculties searching for some riders nicks, here goes.

Namelists.

1. Bluesea01 CBR1100XX (Yr98)

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Sometimes you have to lose everything before you know what you really have.

The blackbird and haya are very different bikes. I don't own a haya but I hang out with haya owners.

What you have to understand from the outset is that Suzuki designed the Haya to kill the blackbird. Whether they have actually succeeded in doing so is anybody's guess at the moment.

The following factors are relevant:

FACTORS FOR BLACKBIRD

Reliability

The blackbird has been around since 1996. All technical problems that could have arisen, have already arisen for the engineers to correct over the years. It's like comparing the F-15 to the Eurofighter (something which Mindef is currently considering). One has been around more than the other.

Refinement

The bb engine is more refined. Smoother, more sedate. It's same with the CBR vs GSXR.

Comfort

The Haya is more of a sports bike, so with the bb you lean less forward. If you are riding long distances, the blackbird is more comfortable than the Haya.

Safety

The blackbird has dual CBS, which means that when you apply the brakes to any one wheel, two out of four brake calipers in the other wheel will also apply. This reduces the chances of skidding and losing control, especially during wet weather.

Road Tax

The formula for calculating road tax for big bikes is

$320 + 0.6 x (EC - 1,000)

* where EC is your bike's engine capacity.

It therefore follows that the BB has a lower road tax because it's engine capacity is 1137cc, whereas the Hayabusa is around 1300cc. That also explains the performance angle.

FACTORS FOR HAYABUSA

Newer

The Haya is a newer design than the BB.

Performance

The Haya is more powerful and faster than the blackbird. Blackbird can go up to 300kmh but I think the Haya can go up to 311kmh. If that is important to you, go for the Haya.

Looks

This is a subjective one. Some people like the Haya for its mean, fierce look, and chinese words. Others, like me, dislike it's bubble appearance (Hayabubba) and front lights.

Clutch

Gear shifting in BB is more clunky. Heard that after a while BB has problems with shifting gear around 1st or 2nd.

I'm not saying the BB is better. Bikes are a passion, and you are putting your hard earned money on it. Just buy what you like, otherwise you will find that you keep admiring the bike that you really wanted whenever it whizzes past you.

Good luck in making your decision!

Some photos of my BB and my friends Haya in my website:

http://nt.per.sg/bike/perf.htm

Heiniao,

Thank you for your comprehensive thorough descriptions. It indeed gives me a better picture of both bikes.

I will continue hunting for a BB, just waiting for a good buy. As i reckon that BB is suitable for me, as I am a slow mileage rider, do not go for speed thrills as well. Prefer something that is more "Exclusive".

I agreed 101% with you.

"Just buy what you like, otherwise you will find that you keep admiring the bike that you really wanted whenever it whizzes past you."

My head has been turning whenever there is a BB within my Line Of Sight.

Last but not least, can pull you along to check on a 2nd hand BB, since you are so experience in bike.

Starbucks Kopi on me :p

hi all, any1 here letting go of their blackbirds? or know of any fren who is selling one? pls contact mi at 96925112.. thx.. been lookg ard at e shops but seems like there r not many ard..

ps. i would prefer a EFI model wif black original paint.. :D

hi all, any1 here letting go of their blackbirds? or know of any fren who is selling one? pls contact mi at 96925112.. thx.. been lookg ard at e shops but seems like there r not many ard..

ps. i would prefer a EFI model wif black original paint.. :D

There's one at Hong Nam (Lavender Street) fitting the descriptions that u listed. Quite low mileage, but the price is a little steep ... maybe u can negotiate with them ...

Yoshimura - Performance Engineering Race

There's one at Hong Nam (Lavender Street) fitting the descriptions that u listed. Quite low mileage, but the price is a little steep ... maybe u can negotiate with them ...

yup i went down to see liao.. low mileage of 19k on a 2001 FT plate.. he quoted mi 14.5k.. e only thing is dat y i asked to start e bike, e batt went flat n it couldnt start.. not a good sign i suppose...

btw, i saw ur s4 at loois dat day.. u traded in n got a blackbird? which model n plate? how much?

hello guys and fellow BBs ! which shop in singapore does the mechanics really do take real good care of bikes ! cause i suspect i had a crack bearing in the back spocket , but the mechanics shrag it off ! but i can feel the cranking from the foot peg on both sides ! doesnt really know whats happening ! so which bike shop do you think is worth recommand for me to go and check ? or is there any BB rider aroung east who can test and feels whats wrong ! tks !

i stay hougang mb u wan drop by when u free?

http://1990cbr1000f.superbikeclub.com/images/avatar_1.jpghttp://s.deviantart.com/static/fella-wrench.jpg

The church is near, but the road is icy. The bar is far away, but I will walk carefully.

yup i went down to see liao.. low mileage of 19k on a 2001 FT plate.. he quoted mi 14.5k.. e only thing is dat y i asked to start e bike, e batt went flat n it couldnt start.. not a good sign i suppose...

btw, i saw ur s4 at loois dat day.. u traded in n got a blackbird? which model n plate? how much?

did u get it? admit that $14.5k looks pretty hefty for a FT plate. did u bargain?

i am looking for a blue BB as well, happy hunting

did u get it? admit that $14.5k looks pretty hefty for a FT plate. did u bargain?

i am looking for a blue BB as well, happy hunting

yah i tried to bargain.. but i guess e price is kinda fixed.. aniway i didnt buy e boss's explanation of e bike being parked for too long then cant start.. might haf some probs i guess..

meanwhile im still lookg ard.. hoping to find private sellers..

going to do my first servicing since i got my bb. any recommendations on where to service(wil be askin e mechanic to check 4 any problems, so hopefully knowledgeable n honest). btw u all use 10w-40 according to manual or 10w-50?

http://1990cbr1000f.superbikeclub.com/images/avatar_1.jpghttp://s.deviantart.com/static/fella-wrench.jpg

The church is near, but the road is icy. The bar is far away, but I will walk carefully.

hello guys and fellow BBs ! which shop in singapore does the mechanics really do take real good care of bikes ! cause i suspect i had a crack bearing in the back spocket , but the mechanics shrag it off ! but i can feel the cranking from the foot peg on both sides ! doesnt really know whats happening ! so which bike shop do you think is worth recommand for me to go and check ? or is there any BB rider aroung east who can test and feels whats wrong ! tks !

Sorry, what do u mean by cracked bearing in the back spocket?

U mean the wheel bearing for the rear?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pc583423301d0eeaec1cdc614deb298dc/fa468109.jpg

Sorry, what do u mean by cracked bearing in the back spocket?

U mean the wheel bearing for the rear?

finally ! when for a check and got the answer liao ! its the cam-chain and spocket the making this sound ! tks for the help render !

HI BB Owners.

is the seat storage big enough to dump

1 x Raincoat

1 x BikeCover

1 x small rag

Or how do you people manage to keep these stuffs?

Not big enough for all 3 items. Its either raincoat or bikecover, cannot put both.

Usually I'll sling a helmet bag for the raincoat, cos my IU unit was already in the back compartment.

Not big enough for all 3 items. Its either raincoat or bikecover, cannot put both.

Usually I'll sling a helmet bag for the raincoat, cos my IU unit was already in the back compartment.

The IU can be placed in the back compartment? Any problem going through ERP gantries?

(\'\',)

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by roadtoad@Dec 26 2003, 01:22 AM

The IU can be placed in the back compartment? Any problem going through ERP gantries?

Can, no problem going thru the ERPs.

Namelists.

2. pai cbr1100xx1

Originally posted by pai@Jan 12 2004, 01:06 PM

Namelists.

2. pai cbr1100xx1

Namelists.

2. pai cbr1100xx1

3. BB silverbirdxxx (yr02)

take very gd care for others road user went speeding ./.....////

Namelists.

2. pai cbr1100xx1(black)

3. BB silverbirdxxx (yr02)

Originally posted by nitro@Dec 21 2003, 12:38 PM

HI BB Owners.

is the seat storage big enough to dump

1 x Raincoat

1 x BikeCover

1 x small rag

Or how do you people manage to keep these stuffs?

greetingz

when i was riddin my blackbird, i was able to put in 2 sets of raincoats(including the pants), the orginal toolbag, a piece of rag ,a tube of autosol n a can of chain lube.actually it all depends on how u place yr stuffs inside there.

cheers n god bless

jem

Originally posted by kongster@Jan 14 2004, 08:55 AM

greetingz

when i was riddin my blackbird, i was able to put in 2 sets of raincoats(including the pants), the orginal toolbag, a piece of rag ,a tube of autosol n a can of chain lube.actually it all depends on how u place yr stuffs inside there.

cheers n god bless

jem

can roughly describe how u manage tis feat? cos i hav difficulty squeezing in even 1 set of raincoat.