Jump to content
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

    Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

    Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website such as:

    • Forums
    • Blogs
    • Picture/Video Gallery
    • Motorcycle Clubs
    • Event Calendar
    • and many more!

    Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

    Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Investment Talk


Recommended Posts

Originally posted by fooz@Nov 25 2006, 01:43 AM

few days back, came across this article, which reported that if someone invested $10k worth of raffles edu stocks in 2002. now, in 2006, after 4yrs, the returns are 11,000%. meaning over 4 yrs, ur paper profit will turn u into a millionaire.

 

but the prob is sniffin out "THE ONE".

and hw many pple have the discipline to hold it for 4yrs?

if u rem the period around 2002 was actually economic downturn (or rather yrs after the asian crisis b4 recovery), if u had holdings in any blue chips u could have been reaping in the profits now.

 

u made 4 years sound very long, i believe many investors out there also hold long, which may be 10 - 20 years.

i love dividends.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by fooz@Nov 25 2006, 01:43 AM

few days back, came across this article, which reported that if someone invested $10k worth of raffles edu stocks in 2002. now, in 2006, after 4yrs, the returns are 11,000%. meaning over 4 yrs, ur paper profit will turn u into a millionaire.

 

but the prob is sniffin out "THE ONE".

and hw many pple have the discipline to hold it for 4yrs?

That one is heaven sent.

No one is his right mind will hold a bloody penny stock for so long.

 

Imagine if you had bot it at 2 cts, wouldnt you sell it if it had gone up by 200%?

For sure!

After selling it at 6cts, wouldnt it be very difficult to buy it back at 8cts?

For sure!

unknowingly the 8 cts became 12cts , and it would be even harder to buy at 12cts.

For sure!

 

So at the end of the day, who made the most. Not the market but the real busniess owners of this share whose equity stake shot up.

 

In any case, everyone can try this method.

Look for all the penny stocks.

Screen them down to 10 of your favourites.

Dump $2000 into each one and forget it .

Total only $20k

If only one makes it big, you make money. HAHHA

 

On a serious note, my own personal portfolio is made up of Real Estate, Bonds, Equity and FX derivatives. in other words a few differnt asset classes. It's still not optimal yet becos i dont have enough money to make it optimal.

 

That's why i say if not enough money, very difficult to invest meaningfully.

sigh...

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg
Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Throttle@Nov 26 2006, 11:16 AM

That one is heaven sent.

No one is his right mind will hold a bloody penny stock for so long.

 

Imagine if you had bot it at 2 cts, wouldnt you sell it if it had gone up by 200%?

For sure!

After selling it at 6cts, wouldnt it be very difficult to buy it back at 8cts?

For sure!

unknowingly the 8 cts became 12cts , and it would be even harder to buy at 12cts.

For sure!

 

So at the end of the day, who made the most. Not the market but the real busniess owners of this share whose equity stake shot up.

 

In any case, everyone can try this method.

Look for all the penny stocks.

Screen them down to 10 of your favourites.

Dump $2000 into each one and forget it .

Total only $20k

If only one makes it big, you make money. HAHHA

 

On a serious note, my own personal portfolio is made up of Real Estate, Bonds, Equity and FX derivatives. in other words a few differnt asset classes. It's still not optimal yet becos i dont have enough money to make it optimal.

 

That's why i say if not enough money, very difficult to invest meaningfully.

sigh...

Wah, bro... Need to learn alot from you. Gonna start investing next year too.

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2009/07/09/bikepics-1722149-full.jpg

If It Ain't Scary, It Ain't Fast Enough
Link to post
Share on other sites

sure thing, PAithorn.

I'm smoking a Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 2 right now!

 

Anyway, my biggest mistake is buying a brand new car.

Lose more than $50k on paper in 2 years....sigh....

My biggest win is buying a District9 property last year.

20% paper profit now.

 

I guess you win some and lose some....

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg
Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Throttle@Nov 26 2006, 11:16 AM

That one is heaven sent.

No one is his right mind will hold a bloody penny stock for so long.

 

Imagine if you had bot it at 2 cts, wouldnt you sell it if it had gone up by 200%?

For sure!

After selling it at 6cts, wouldnt it be very difficult to buy it back at 8cts?

For sure!

unknowingly the 8 cts became 12cts , and it would be even harder to buy at 12cts.

For sure!

 

So at the end of the day, who made the most. Not the market but the real busniess owners of this share whose equity stake shot up.

 

That's why i say if not enough money, very difficult to invest meaningfully.

sigh...

yeap. which y i said its an extreme case n super rare. coupled with ANR analogy of "striking 4D".

 

In any case, everyone can try this method.

Look for all the penny stocks.

Screen them down to 10 of your favourites.

Dump $2000 into each one and forget it .

Total only $20k

If only one makes it big, you make money. HAHHA

 

On a serious note, my own personal portfolio is made up of Real Estate, Bonds, Equity and FX derivatives. in other words a few differnt asset classes. It's still not optimal yet becos i dont have enough money to make it optimal.

diversity :thumb:

 

Anyway, my biggest mistake is buying a brand new car.

Lose more than $50k on paper in 2 years....sigh....

My biggest win is buying a District9 property last year.

20% paper profit now.

 

I guess you win some and lose some....

ok la.. im more inclined to tink that ur 20% inc is more den enuff to offset the 50k loss..since its a D9...

 

aniway, cars for mass-consumers will alwiz b a liability, unless its those exotic collectable.

FOR SALE (PM for more details)

-inline hockey guards,stick, gloves,pants

-ipod shuffle, 1GB, red, limited edition

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Throttle@Nov 27 2006, 04:40 PM

How about we all pool money and whack the market swee swee one time. Each person $5k 10 people $50k. Then we can hold big position of at least USD3mil one time. ???????

 

All in, show hand !

you got appetite for 50k meh? o_O

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont understand what you mean Evilyn

 

$50k is the margin amount.

If holding big position and the market steady, within one day can make $50k or can wipe out.

 

I'm not joking. I have FX personal trading acct and I hold up to only USD1mil position. If you all trust me, we can do. but if lose already plse dont cry father cry mother.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg
Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Throttle@Nov 27 2006, 05:39 PM

I dont understand what you mean Evilyn

 

$50k is the margin amount.

If holding big position and the market steady, within one day can make $50k or can wipe out.

 

I'm not joking. I have FX personal trading acct and I hold up to only USD1mil position. If you all trust me, we can do. but if lose already plse dont cry father cry mother.

Care to elaborate what is "hold big position"? Sounds like some technical jargon to me.

 

You have always posted saying you only make investments for $100k and up. Anything lesser is not worthwhile so I never expected you'll be interested with $50k capital.

 

Am I correct to assume that this investment plan you're proposing is very high risk very high gain? What is the holding period or time before you know whether to open a bottle of Moet and Chadon or to jump from Clementi MRT? :p

Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly, I have never posted that I make only investments for $100k and up. You must have misread somewhere, I clarify.

 

Anyway $50k is only the margin or in other words your betting chips or as you say the capital. The big position can be something about U$2mil.

 

Yes, it is high risk high gain, as mentioned on my post.

That's why I say "whack the market"

If small amount, whack what ? heh heh heh

 

There is no predetermined investment horizon. It can be one day, one week, or one month. All depends on the market. Just like in Casino, Big or Small. Hahah. (I may be laughing but i aint joking)

 

My biggest and quickest gain is about USD3,000 in one nite.

 

By the way, no need to jump, if you are willing and can afford to lose the $5k.

 

The biggest casino in the world = financial markets.

No limit on bets. Hahahah

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg
Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Throttle@Nov 27 2006, 08:59 PM

Firstly, I have never posted that I make only investments for $100k and up. You must have misread somewhere, I clarify.

 

Anyway $50k is only the margin or in other words your betting chips or as you say the capital. The big position can be something about U$2mil.

 

Yes, it is high risk high gain, as mentioned on my post.

That's why I say "whack the market"

If small amount, whack what ? heh heh heh

 

There is no predetermined investment horizon. It can be one day, one week, or one month. All depends on the market. Just like in Casino, Big or Small. Hahah. (I may be laughing but i aint joking)

 

My biggest and quickest gain is about USD3,000 in one nite.

 

By the way, no need to jump, if you are willing and can afford to lose the $5k.

 

The biggest casino in the world = financial markets.

No limit on bets. Hahahah

Ya... Nearly wanted to ask if this is like big/small. Make it or break it kind. Is there the option to cut loss by bailing out if things look too bad so that at least you get some taxi fare? :sweat:

 

I'll need to slog 2 months for what you make in a night... :weep:

 

Anyway, I'm not affluent enough at this point of time to be non-chalant about $5k. Maybe 10% of that I can still lose and not throw myself down a well. But I'll still ram my head against a wall... :giddy: And $5k? Can't imagine what I'll do to myslef... :help: :cheeky:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course can cut loss.

Anytime, you think you have had enough, can cut loss immediately.

 

AS per your post, i think you are not suitable to do this yet.

I certainly prefer to see you enjoy a bottle of Moet than see you jump into the well.

 

I've lost USD5k in a few nites as well. So you win some you lose some, as long as at the end, you win. Last year i made about $23k. This year very tough year, only made $6k until now. Hopefully next year will be good.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg
Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Throttle@Nov 27 2006, 09:54 PM

Of course can cut loss.

Anytime, you think you have had enough, can cut loss immediately.

 

AS per your post, i think you are not suitable to do this yet.

I certainly prefer to see you enjoy a bottle of Moet than see you jump into the well.

 

I've lost USD5k in a few nites as well. So you win some you lose some, as long as at the end, you win. Last year i made about $23k. This year very tough year, only made $6k until now. Hopefully next year will be good.

Yup. Which is why thinking now might be a good time to start learning the jargons and ropes of this field. Coming from a technology background, this is like greek to me. Hopefully when I come to the point when I am getting enough from my full time job to have loose change to play the market, I can make educated and informed decisions.

 

Afterall, investments IMO should be like "windfall" and sideline and just reside in the shadow of the main job. Any gains treated as bonus and losses able to take in stride without needing to face the wall. Otherwise, if there's no clear separation from investment profits and income from main job, there'll no longer be focus in life. This is also a mentality that could keep oneself from getting burnt or life messed up or ruined...

Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading a few posts, I can't help but to get involved myself too. Well, investment comes in really different forms. If you want high gains, you gotta accept high risk. As mentioned, you could lose your capital in a few days or gain double digit gains in a single day. Of course those investments play in the FX derivatives market.

 

However there are still other options out there. Diversify is the word. Don't forget your bonds, treasury notes, real estate and your securities. Neglect neither your risk appetite nor your investment time frame. Compounded interest will boast your investment gains over time if you have diversify well. Short term gains are also possible when provided with the right market analysis and proper technical forecasting. But there is no such thing as a free lunch. Understand yourself to invest well. Cheers.

Check this thread out. I am creating a club of bikers for bikers. This is for intercultural intergration. Come on in, fellow bikers.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90550

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by xiaowang@Nov 27 2006, 10:49 PM

After reading a few posts, I can't help but to get involved myself too. Well, investment comes in really different forms. If you want high gains, you gotta accept high risk. As mentioned, you could lose your capital in a few days or gain double digit gains in a single day. Of course those investments play in the FX derivatives market.

 

However there are still other options out there. Diversify is the word. Don't forget your bonds, treasury notes, real estate and your securities. Neglect neither your risk appetite nor your investment time frame. Compounded interest will boast your investment gains over time if you have diversify well. Short term gains are also possible when provided with the right market analysis and proper technical forecasting. But there is no such thing as a free lunch. Understand yourself to invest well. Cheers.

Hi,

 

Care to elaborate the differences between bonds, treasury notes, and securities? They sure sound like the same thing to me... :confused:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...