SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Investment Talk

E.V.ilyn

Really?.

To ride on the road, You need skills,Stamina, or even luck.

But to be a good rider, you have to change with your environment,and adjust yourself to its rhythm.

Cultivate the confidence to face the different situations. Don't let yourself to be subdued by the environment :thumb:

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hehe heh, dont mean to take you for a ride but actually I was just trying to show you guys the simplest form of getting people interested.

===> Inflating success.

Paithorn, let's meet on WEd for a cigar (see cigar thread)

I'll let you know more of what i do for my personal trading.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg

Originally posted by Throttle@Dec 4 2006, 12:06 AM

Your statement quite contradictory and incomplete, contrarian.

You say you are conservative, yet you only put 2% of total value of nominal.

if $10,000 = 2%, then your nominal underlying is $500,000, that doesnt sound conservative in any language.

What is your usual nominal amount?

Care to elaborate?

---------------------------------------------------------------

For the benefit of others, Contrarian is talking more about margin equity option trading. I'm more into FX option trading. Concept is the same but complexity and variety is different

Sorry to disappoint you, Throttle, but I don't open positions in the hundreds of thousands (not for my own account). The nominal amount is something I can easily live with, because I have no wish to throw even $100,000 nominal into any one position (for any instrument).

I'm not into speculation, only investment. I still own stocks I bought as far back as 1999. The little options exposure I take is to supplement my stock positions only occasionally, and especially in times of high volatility. I don't use the leverage in the option to open positions beyond my capital at all.

You can see that I am conservative - because I learnt investments in the bear market during the Asian financial crisis, its recovery into the dot com bull market, and the subsequent dot com crash. During that time, I have taken a position in Cyberworks that went up 300+% in 6 weeks as well as lost 100% of another when Global Crossing company went insolvent.

Since you're into FX options, I understand that nominal positions have to be bigger than equities because the basis points movements are usually smaller intraday. I realised that I was extremely lucky in Mar 2001 and Sep 2001 to hit AUD at its lowest twice in the AUD's trading history - but that was luck and I've retired from FX since. FX is not my thing - I have no inclination to continually monitor an active position and can't take the big figures running with large open positions.

He who hesitates is lost!

Originally posted by contrarian@Dec 5 2006, 07:10 PM

Sorry to disappoint you, Throttle, but I don't open positions in the hundreds of thousands (not for my own account). The nominal amount is something I can easily live with, because I have no wish to throw even $100,000 nominal into any one position (for any instrument).

I'm not into speculation, only investment. I still own stocks I bought as far back as 1999. The little options exposure I take is to supplement my stock positions only occasionally, and especially in times of high volatility. I don't use the leverage in the option to open positions beyond my capital at all.

You can see that I am conservative - because I learnt investments in the bear market during the Asian financial crisis, its recovery into the dot com bull market, and the subsequent dot com crash. During that time, I have taken a position in Cyberworks that went up 300+% in 6 weeks as well as lost 100% of another when Global Crossing company went insolvent.

Since you're into FX options, I understand that nominal positions have to be bigger than equities because the basis points movements are usually smaller intraday. I realised that I was extremely lucky in Mar 2001 and Sep 2001 to hit AUD at its lowest twice in the AUD's trading history - but that was luck and I've retired from FX since. FX is not my thing - I have no inclination to continually monitor an active position and can't take the big figures running with large open positions.

I see. That's why I ask you to elaborate.

Hope your investments flourish in time to come.

As for me, I use funds which i can afford to lose in those FX trade.

I also keep a chunk in blue chip equities and another chunk in properties.

I personally believe that if you have a significant posrtfolio, it should be split up into a variety of asset classes. Of these classes, a fair percentage is totally liquid and to be used for opportunistic trades.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like everybody is only talking about lump sum investments. What about those regular investment plans?? i.e. fork out $300 everymonth into some sort of fund for investment? any opinions?

Also, I was advised that at any one time, any individual (ideally) should have at least 6months CASH stashed away in an account somewhere as an emergency fund (unexpected health, legal etc issues)... That seems like a lot of $$ sitting somewhere and not doing anything, but it also seems like prudent advise as well, isn't it?

BlackDawn aka kiamh

"There is no man more free than the one who doesn't give a damn what society thinks of him"

Originally posted by kiamh@Dec 16 2006, 07:10 AM

Seems like everybody is only talking about lump sum investments. What about those regular investment plans?? i.e. fork out $300 everymonth into some sort of fund for investment? any opinions?

Also, I was advised that at any one time, any individual (ideally) should have at least 6months CASH stashed away in an account somewhere as an emergency fund (unexpected health, legal etc issues)... That seems like a lot of $$ sitting somewhere and not doing anything, but it also seems like prudent advise as well, isn't it?

Definitely, one should always set aside his emergency fund, say 6 months worth of expenditures in cash or cash equivalents. This should be done before you try to invest the rest.

A regular savings plan is a good concept because it smoothens your investment and takes away the temptation of many to chase the flavour of the month.

However if you're into ILPs or unit trusts, you should always watch your expense ratios for these. Make sure that whatever gains you have are not being substantially taken up by fees. Imagine if you have to pay a 5% distribution cost and a 1.5% annual management fee - if you show me those figures, I'd rather not buy it.

Originally posted by kiamh@Dec 16 2006, 07:10 AM

i do not find regular investments plans attractive. hence, DIY.

but if u have no idea where to start, why not.

i love dividends.

Originally posted by contrarian@Dec 16 2006, 08:42 AM

However if you're into ILPs or unit trusts, you should always watch your expense ratios for these. Make sure that whatever gains you have are not being substantially taken up by fees. Imagine if you have to pay a 5% distribution cost and a 1.5% annual management fee - if you show me those figures, I'd rather not buy it.

Absolutely

:thumb:

I personally dont care for such things.

To me, health insurance is an expense which i will accept.

For me, my investments need to be flexible and liquid to position itself to take opportunities.

Life insurance is the last thing on my list.

This "investment" is not favorable to me becos it is not liquid enough and it has too much layered fees.

For somebody else, it may be the perfect thing.

At the end of the day, any advice or view is only relevant if the person advising understands your position and views.

Hi, I'm Edwin, just recently joining the member.

I'm doing an investment in Property. Our company objective is helps private investors to grow their money through overseas market, where we are focusing to UK and Australia Market.

If anyone interested or would like to explore more, do give me a call: 923 222 05 to fixed an appointment in our office in Park Mall.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard of such investment which u invest 3k. every mth get back $300 . for 12mths. u get back 3.6k. so u earn $600. that's confirm . and if the project is successful . u get 30k. my bro have been bugging my parents to invest. is it too gd to be true?:confused:

But to be a good rider, you have to change with your environment,and adjust yourself to its rhythm.

Cultivate the confidence to face the different situations. Don't let yourself to be subdued by the environment :thumb:

Originally posted by Sky99@January 07, 2007 10:40 am

Anyone heard of such investment which u invest 3k. every mth get back $300 . for 12mths. u get back 3.6k. so u earn $600. that's confirm . and if the project is successful . u get 30k. my bro have been bugging my parents to invest. is it too gd to be true?:confused:

you need to ask the basic question: what happens if the project fails?

imagine if i offered you the deal you listed.

a classic case would be if i then take your $3000, return you $300 for the first month and then stop paying you.

then what happens?

if you have the answer to this question, then perhaps you have enough info to consider.

"if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

yeah. if its failed. u get back $300 per mth for 1 year. but if it passed. u get back 30k. REALLY UNPREDICTABLE!

Originally posted by Sky99@January 07, 2007 11:04 pm

yeah. if its failed. u get back $300 per mth for 1 year. but if it passed. u get back 30k. REALLY UNPREDICTABLE!

what are you going to do if the guy takes your $3000, returns you $300 for the first month and then stops paying you? would you even have an IOU? :goodluck:

yeah. my dad asked my bro this question too. then my bro get the receipt and u will have a account in the company website. and u are officaly a member.

Sky, in that case, can I borrow money from the company to invest in it?

since they are 100% sure of their own product.

They can charge me 10%pa no problem, i would like to borrow not much, just $3mil. Then I use the money that they lend to me to put with them, can?

Since they guarantee the returns themselves then they should give their own product 100% collateral value.

So I borrow from them at exhorbitant tates of 10% per year.

I will pay them $300k in interest. No problem.

But since the minimum return is 20% as you said, then at the end of 1 year, they have to pay me $600k min.

Of which, they can keep half as my interest payment to them.

If they dont pay me I dont pay them.

Ok? I'm fine with that. where can I sign?

HAHAHAHAH