SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Is Vespa good for Beginner??

MCARLOS

Hi My Motor Buddies!!

I just wondering weather, a Vespa will be a good bike for someone that just get their 2B licence.

I want to get a vespa for my first bike. But my friends said to me that, is not worth getting a vespa for my first bike. Issit TRUE?!

Please post any opinion as it will help me greatly in geting my first bike:cheeky:

In Life, Never Give Up and Continue trying.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi @MCARLOS :3 Welcome to SBF

Vespa is fairly easy to ride so long as you get used to operating the gear change and the handling. It has small wheels and quite the agile wee beasty so beware especially in the wet!

Have seen new lady riders going quite fast on classic restored Vespas. It has quite a good power-weight ratio being a 2 stroke so use it responsibly :3

As far as newbie-friendiness there is a UK TV car show that forced one of the main presenters (who hates bikes and doesn't even know how to kickstart) to ride 1,000km from south to north Vietnam on a Vespa, with the co presenters on other "Class 2B" type machines. As far as I'm aware that clumsy fun basterd handled the Vespa fine with no crashes I think :D

Its a fun bike to have, my family's got a 33 year old Sprint and its still going strong. However, its rather a different riding experience. Brakes dun work like modern ones, handles a little skittishly, a little too small for my 5ft 10" frame but cute. Good as a fun bike on point A-B errands but not if you wanna improve riding and build confidence. Try a Cub zhai. Properly set up, it will feel like a motard if you dare to push.....

ya lor,u try kup beta

vespa top speed quite low

i scare after 1 mth,u nid speed

if u r those hu chiong

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/lotand/IMG_1124.jpg

Ride Defensively; always.

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Kawasaki KIPS -> 2010 ~ 2014

Aprilia RS125(09) -> 2014 ~ 2017

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Suzuki DRZ -> 2017 ~ 2018

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

Actually most bikes are still considered very low tech and mechanical after so many years if development. Take Harley for example. Up to the Carburated models a few years ago, if you teleported a mechanic from the 1950s, he'll still be able to work on it without any difficulty. I remember my mech once said to me in Hokkien "Bike is dead one, human brain is live one" So its a matter of adapting to the newer set ups. Difference between Vespa Vintages and Cubs? Cubs handle better at higher speeds cos of a larger rim size and balance is a lot better as the engine is under seat, centred. Good mix of weight and balance, with a little tweeking like a flatside carb and exhaust, better ride. However, if you are talking about the "EXPERIENCE" let put it this way;

You see a girl on any other bike........ and one on a Vespa......... which one will come across to you as cuter, Art School dropout/student? If you are a Girl, you see some dude on a any other bike............ and one metro looking guy with nice leather loafers, half helmet, folded up long sleeves shirt on a Vespa which one would you hitch a ride with?

Each to his own....

i have been riding a vespa excel 150 for 3years, it is my first bike. initially had some problems with the bike which is very frustrating. after spending $500 on its overhaul with a new alloy block and carburettor, it has been serving me very well, problem free for 2 yrs. speed wise, it can go up to 110km/h but not advisable as it gets wobbly at tt speed. 90km/hr is comfortable.

my full tank cost me slightly less than $10. $20 for my 2T oil which last me 5 full tank top ups. once a month i change gear oil $10. every 2months, change clutch cable, $2. change brake pad once every few months. fuel consumption is around 30km/l, a tank can last for 150km, 210km if until reserve.

a few things to take note. the brakes are not fantastic. i hit into a car bumper a few days after getting my vespa as i overestimated the braking power of the front brake. vespa's front brakes are still drum for some older models. rear brake works better but too much of it can cause you to fish tail which happened to me before. i used more of engine braking. plus, there is no tank to grip. these are quite a few things to get used in the beginning.

no matter what, i still like my vespa and intend to bring it for long distance touring one day. what draws me to a vespa is its history and age.

307293_10150857547520648_672525279_n.jpg

Katie... I am flying with you...

vespa is fine, but for maintenance a moped or kapchai is still the best.

cheap to run, cheap to ride, cheaper to maintain. heck throw it aside and let the rain take it for a week, you can still start it up and ride off. COLD.

thats a honda wave for you! lol.

February 2011 - March 2012 = Phantom TA 200

March 2012 - August 2013 = Suzuki Impulse 400

Present = BMW (Bus, MRT, Walk)

922913_10151689291867959_1156170833_n.jpg

wave is good

chaep n FC is power

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

If i was not schooling, i would have gotten a 2-stroke PX150 as my first bike. Reliek, cool and hip.

But i had to wake up and smell the coffee and i needed a four-stoke, reliable, quiet and fuel saving bike.

It really depends on what you need it for at this point of your life. It's not fun trying to kickstart an old bike if you are late for school or leaving your home in the wee hours of the morning with the sound of a "pop pop pop" on your 2 stroker.

Anyway, back to the topic, an old PX150 is a really easy and fun scooter. At first it feels like a popping bathtub on wheels and it is surprising heavy. But its so fun and easy to ride. The newer ones like the LX150 is just twist and go, super reliek one.

Edited by crazydj

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

you must be into the whole union jack, mod squad, retro vibe thing to ride vespa.

dont get me wrong, every single vespa rider I know is some guy like that

either he/she is a mod wannabe

Always ride safely and defensively.

Repair bike cheap and fast,

Repair body expensive and slow.

There is only one best mechanic for your bike...YOU

You see a girl on any other bike........ and one on a Vespa......... which one will come across to you as cuter, Art School dropout/student? If you are a Girl, you see some dude on a any other bike............ and one metro looking guy with nice leather loafers, half helmet, folded up long sleeves shirt on a Vespa which one would you hitch a ride with?

Each to his own....

To answer ur question, depend on e girl. Some girls are crazy bt vespas but i noe some who are crazy bt sportsbikes. How?

Anywei, Vespa is more to fit one image la. Those retro/mod kind of ppl. I lik how unique the engine and e bike works as a whole. It's history esp hw e designer hates motorcycles and design e vespa from ww2 plane parts. For dat vespa is gd. But for e price of e vespa, i rather get a cub dat actually behaves lik a real bike should.

TS

if u lyk e outlook,dun mess wif speed

fino aso not bad

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

Can anyone that own a vespa. Can tell me how much you need to spend on maintainence and fuel? (it will help me tremendously:D)

matainance wise is depending on the rider itsself on how you ride the bike.... and if you think long term.. the value of the bike is still not bad.. example.. the vespa with 'A' plate.. its freaking expensive! but the fuel.. it really kinda swallows and somemore you add 2t oil.. plus minus.. itss....oookayy luhh.. lol.. hope this helps.. :D

VESPA ROCKS YOUR RIDE! LOL!

my full tank cost me slightly less than $10. $20 for my 2T oil which last me 5 full tank top ups. once a month i change gear oil $10. every 2months, change clutch cable, $2. change brake pad once every few months. fuel consumption is around 30km/l, a tank can last for 150km, 210km if until reserve.

agree on this. *thumbs up!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm riding a Vespa Sprint. Spent like hell lots to keep it well maintain. But i wld recommend beginners to go for the modern ones or the PX200.

Its quite a hazzle with the premix 2t oil. And u would need to check and maintain (wash) ur bike twice or once a month. Cos if one part spoils, it'll stress the other parts of the bike cosing it the other parts to spoil if ridden in a long term.

Don't get vintage ones, unless u do have the patience and $$$. Just my 2cents worth. :p

Pay peanuts get monkey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
i have been riding a vespa excel 150 for 3years, it is my first bike. initially had some problems with the bike which is very frustrating. after spending $500 on its overhaul with a new alloy block and carburettor, it has been serving me very well, problem free for 2 yrs. speed wise, it can go up to 110km/h but not advisable as it gets wobbly at tt speed. 90km/hr is comfortable.

a few things to take note. the brakes are not fantastic. i hit into a car bumper a few days after getting my vespa as i overestimated the braking power of the front brake. vespa's front brakes are still drum for some older models. rear brake works better but too much of it can cause you to fish tail which happened to me before. i used more of engine braking. plus, there is no tank to grip. these are quite a few things to get used in the beginning.

no matter what, i still like my vespa and intend to bring it for long distance touring one day. what draws me to a vespa is its history and age.

HI,

I'm looking to buy an Excel for 3k with 1 yr left on COE. is it too expensive?

HI,

I'm looking to buy an Excel for 3k with 1 yr left on COE. is it too expensive?

I think it is expensive. I got my excel for $2000 with 6 years COE and new paint work. Engine wasn't in best condition, spent around $500 on overhaul.

307293_10150857547520648_672525279_n.jpg

Katie... I am flying with you...

• 2 weeks later...

a Vespa is more than just a bike. Vespas, especially vintage Vespas are not built for speed; its built for daily commute, plus a strong expression of style and taste. Customize the look of the Vespa to your own style and taste and you have a one in a million bike.

i'm riding a class 2 bike daily now and i still have my 1970 Vespa with me to ride on weekends.

http://www.scooterproducts.com/images/vespapostcardsvpca.jpg