SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Chain Cleaning - Various ways & methods

Tai

for people who want to know more about lubing chain with engine oil.

this is my chain, sproket, swingarm and rim after washing bike with soap and water.

i only wash my rims, swingarm and sproket.

i leave my chain alone. no wd40/kerosene/diesel or watever.

using original honda sproket 45teeth and did x-ring

lube chain with engine oil every week.

now the milage is 22000km and i've only tightened the chain once.

juz to let u guys know that even not using the expensive lubes and scottoiler and anything else, just a car jack and engine oil weekly (and after rain), ur sproket, swingarm, rims will be clean with just a soap wash.

i do not clean my chain, there is no rust and no loud funny sounds coming from it. but u can still see the gold colour. (though not very shiny, but at least not black)

hope the above information is useful to someone who needs it.. :smile: :goodluck:

(2002 - 2003) Yamaha RX-Z (Blue)

(2003 - 2004) Honda Super Four Version R (Red)

(2004 - 2005) Honda Wave (Blue)

(2005 - 2006) Honda Super Four Spec 1 (Black)

(2006 - 2007) Hyundai Getz (Blue)

(2007 - 2008) Honda Super Four Spec 3 (Silver)

(2008 - 2009) Suzuki DRZ 400 SM (Yellow)

(2009 - 2019) Kia Picanto (Blue)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/wongyuanshun/Delta.jpg

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i ever used EO to lube my chain....realli useful n smooth...but the disadvantage is u gonna apply every once a wk...now i using Rockoil chain lube...best lube i ever used.n spray every 2-3wks.keke(lazi)

http://www.ducatinewstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Stay_a_Hero_Campaign.jpg

Like father like son

i ever used EO to lube my chain....realli useful n smooth...but the disadvantage is u gonna apply every once a wk...now i using Rockoil chain lube...best lube i ever used.n spray every 2-3wks.keke(lazi)

but plz..nv ever use brake fluid.

http://www.ducatinewstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Stay_a_Hero_Campaign.jpg

Like father like son

which method to use is up to individual. the person using happy can liaoz. :)

got ppl use brake fluid oil chain??!?!?!?@?!@?!@???

good luck for them.. :giddy:

Originally posted by Kinetic@Nov 16 2005, 02:07 PM

this is my chain, sproket, swingarm and rim after washing bike with soap and water.

juz to let u guys know that even not using the expensive lubes and scottoiler and anything else, just a car jack and engine oil weekly (and after rain), ur sproket, swingarm, rims will be clean with just a soap wash.

i do not clean my chain, there is no rust and no loud funny sounds coming from it. but u can still see the gold colour. (though not very shiny, but at least not black)

hope the above information is useful to someone who needs it.. :smile: :goodluck:

Upz for yr chain...:thumb:

Btw, what do u use to lube yr chain using EO? Is it the plastic squirt bottle? Will it fling the next day when u ride?

And roughly how many klicks u do every week?

Originally posted by Kinetic@Nov 16 2005, 02:07 PM

You should show your chain before u wash :faint: I tried the EO way long long time ago. Depending on the type of EO you use, some are simply impossible to wash away with normal dishwashing soap or carwash soap.

I think the problem is that I used some high grade leftover ester base EO. Ester's ability to cling tenaciously to surfaces, a special property that makes it the best EO base available, now makes the damn rim impossible to clean. Even using the Penray degreaser (Ah Boy degreaser), it is damn near impossible to wash my oil change pan clean of ester base EO.

For those who like using oil and dun mind the mess, an oiler device is the way to go. Simply brushing on the oil once a week is hopelessly insufficient, it just flings everywhere the moment u pick up some speed.

Originally posted by hilfiger@Nov 17 2005, 02:08 AM

Btw, what do u use to lube yr chain using EO? Is it the plastic squirt bottle? Will it fling the next day when u ride?

And roughly how many klicks u do every week?

i put the oil in a plastic container, those microwave transparant container, brush on with a normal brush.

yes it flings. but its easy to wash off the swingarm, sproket and wheel with just soap and water.

if u dun wan fling use chain wax.. but it costs more and WHEN it does fling.. u will have a hard time cleaning..

how many km per week... not sure.. 500+-.. cuz i 1mth 2000km..

i don't wash my chain, i totally leave it alone. wash the whole bike except the chain.

as for before and after.. u look closely ar the sproket center.. just the inner part before the nut. that is before cleaning.. and the accumulation is for few months liaoz i never wash the sproket. the after is the shiny part of the sproket lo.. like i said liaoz just soap and water and it'll come off without much effort.

y i like engine oil though it flings..

- easy to wash off

- u can see and feel that the chain is smoother, not like when using chain wax and the sand n debris stick on to ur chain n makes it not smooth

- can see chain is still gold colour even never wash chain before for 22000km

- tested and proven good for my usage. went to pahang on trip n back no problem, wack 180.. long milage liaoz 22000km for 10mths liaoz still not loose. once in a while will drag. only tighten once.

up to individual which method u guys wanna use. just sharing my experience for bros interested to know more. sharing info mah.. :cheeky:

oh ya.. i just use cheap engine oil - esso pace $9 use for long long..

ok.. i never use before so i dunno..

but last time i use castrol chain wax, blah blah blah other kinda very hard to wash off..

thanx anywae.. :)

i use gear oil (90 SAE) instead of EO. used EO before too... flings alot, gear oil flings less.

gear oil is even recommended by honda (in the owner's guide).

good thing about gear oil is that it has all the benefits of EO but less fling... but also abit more dirty at the x-ring / o-ring cos attract some dirty (which is the down side of less fling). other then that it is quite clean.

bottomline, there is no solution that can give you the best of all worlds; cheap, clean, easy to maintain, easy to clean, prolong life of chain, etc....

it is for the owner / rider to decide what works best for them...

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7720/dsc00157a.jpg

All Must Work Hard!

u r so right!

whatever method u use, just make sure u like wat u r doing to ur bike

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

juz use water from my experience, kerosene aint gd for the rubber seal which i use it once for my did x ring coz stated to use kerosene to wash, but my chain became more worst though after lubing. juz use toilet cleaner magic kleen and rinse wif water. dry wif a cloth and lube the joints of the rings using scottoiler oil.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g313/funkyvtec/IMG-4077.jpg

Previous Rides: RXK 135, S4 Project Big 1, S4 Vtec1, ST1100 Pan European, Cbr954, K7 600, FJR1300 ABS, SilverWing FJS 400.

Current Rides: FIT 1.3 GF MoonRoof.

Originally posted by FunkyChicken@May 25 2006, 02:08 AM

juz use water from my experience, kerosene aint gd for the rubber seal which i use it once for my did x ring coz stated to use kerosene to wash, but my chain became more worst though after lubing. juz use toilet cleaner magic kleen and rinse wif water. dry wif a cloth and lube the joints of the rings using scottoiler oil.

kerosene is fine, just remember to flush with plenty of water after that. go for a short ride to warm the chain and apply chain lube.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Loontoot/Funny%20Pics/adminuser4mw.gif

<CMO> Quality IT Services for homes & businesses.

<CMO> 3M Products from U.S.A

• 3 weeks later...

:cheeky:

Was checking tis thread wanna find out how 2 remove the

oil and dirt from the chain before applying lub...

then at the begining of the thread, read smtg about kerosene....

Do you guyz use kerosene to clean the chain?? :confused:

Won't tat b too strong??

Appreciate if someone can reply me :lovestruck:

• 1 month later...

hello to all bikers here..i juz bought a super4 spec II...can i ask how come the chain become oily n sticky after i juz clean it away the gease( with WD40)..is there oil leaking or something else? any good product to clean the rims, chain of hte bike?

thanks a lot for your advices..:help:

Originally posted by ahbee10@Aug 2 2006, 10:16 PM

hello to all bikers here..i juz bought a super4 spec II...can i ask how come the chain become oily n sticky after i juz clean it away the gease( with WD40)..is there oil leaking or something else? any good product to clean the rims, chain of hte bike?

thanks a lot for your advices..:help:

what i do is that i use GT85 to clean my chain then lub with maxima chain lub...

engine oil abit too thick...

so use traditional "medicine" --- > chain lub...

it become oily and sticky could be due to the previous owner use chain lub... cos chain lub becomes sticky after sometime... (correct me if im wrong)

the advise from most forumers is that don't use wd40 to clean the chain...

for me the rims i use wd40 to clean and then wash with water + soap

Regards,

ahlex@sgbikes