SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Kawasaki ZX10R Technicial Issue!

Alex31

Originally posted by zhybrid@Dec 30 2006, 02:12 PM

alternator problem which caused the whole engine to seize.

affecting only 04 models. i have to get mine checked as well. the repair is estimated to cost almost half of wat i spent for my wedding. heard it's more worth it to just get a replacement engine instead.

Matthew, the repair cost isn't as expensive as you think it is.

Just get a complete alternator set (flywheel + stator coil) from an 05 10R from EBAY or forums and swap it over to yours. It's not even difficult and only requires the disassembly of your clutch/transmission system to install the alternator unit.

USD $150 should see the part arriving to you, good luck finding one though.

That aside, any labour fee can almost always be negotiated between you and your mechanic. Oh and we can't use 06/07 10R alternators because they run their flywheels on the left side instead of the right. =)

Sticking to the subject, I'm sure you or any 04 10R out there will find these links interesting:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?threadid=72463

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1...light=generator

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15776&page=1&pp=10

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by myxilplix@Jan 1 2007, 05:07 PM

Would it be wiser to just update my alternator/coil to the '05 one as a safety measure, instead of waiting for the original one to die?

That would be the wisest thing to do.

Kawasaki wont admit to this because it only affected early batches of the 04 ZX-10R and isn't worthy of attention. Don't even bother with Evershine until they can bother to keep basic oil filters in stock. Any money spent will have to be out of your own pockets. =)

It's a good chance to go internal though. For the record, I have a used Kawasaki KIT high compression gasket for sale. Kawasaki makes them in 0.45mm, 0.50mm, 0.55mm and 0.45mm gives the most compression booast. Unfortunately 0.45mm is discontinued and not available anymore.

Originally posted by CountDokoo@Jan 1 2007, 07:19 PM

That would be the wisest thing to do.

Kawasaki wont admit to this because it only affected early batches of the 04 ZX-10R and isn't worthy of attention. Don't even bother with Evershine until they can bother to keep basic oil filters in stock. Any money spent will have to be out of your own pockets. =)

It's a good chance to go internal though. For the record, I have a used Kawasaki KIT high compression gasket for sale. Kawasaki makes them in 0.45mm, 0.50mm, 0.55mm and 0.45mm gives the most compression booast. Unfortunately 0.45mm is discontinued and not available anymore.

So tat means we've got to source for the alternator from ebay? any other alternatives?

Btw,can enlighten me on wads the advantages and disadvantages of changin to high com gasket?

Let The Good Times Roll

Originally posted by VoLcAnO@Jan 1 2007, 11:19 PM

So tat means we've got to source for the alternator from ebay? any other alternatives?

Btw,can enlighten me on wads the advantages and disadvantages of changin to high com gasket?

Your other alternative is to purchase a brand new 05 ZX-10R alternator unit from Evershine. Retail of the alternator unit would be USD $1200. ($1850++) Considering the fact that you are riding on a moving time bomb, I think the cheaper and normally faster USD $150 alternative of EBAY is a much better option.

A higher compression gasket is usually thinner then a stock head gasket. Because of this, the distance between your crankcase and your cylinder head is decreased aiding the compression and combustion of fuel.

The good? Higher torque values and an expect 4 bhp increase. The bad? Higher running temperatures and the need to run higher octaned fuel to prevent knocking.

A high compression gasket is NOT plug and play though. Correct piston to valve clearances will need to be done after you easily install a seemingly harmless gasket.

Originally posted by myxilplix@Jan 2 2007, 03:39 AM

And how much are you selling the high comp gasket for? What's the mileage on it? Mine is a late '04 bike, don't know if it might be affected by the alternator problem.

Part 11004-0023 KHI HEAD GASKET (0.45mm) going for $40.

It has 6 months of use and approximately 5000km on it.

There's really no way to find out if your alternator's cursed. No one knows when they started changing alternator units on the 04, if they ever did at all.

The facts now are that 04 models are susceptible to this problem and that 05 models are free from it. I knew of this problem 2 years ago but never expected it to occur to me at 70000km+ of mileage.

Not trying to create paranoia but I'm sure you see what I'm getting at. This isn't your normal wear and tear part and it sure as hell isn't getting warrantied so if I owned an 04 ZX-10R I would just bite the bullet and pay up for an 05 10R alternator. Before it explodes on me. :smile:

Originally posted by CountDokoo@January 02, 2007 12:26 am

Your other alternative is to purchase a brand new 05 ZX-10R alternator unit from Evershine. Retail of the alternator unit would be USD $1200. ($1850++) Considering the fact that you are riding on a moving time bomb, I think the cheaper and normally faster USD $150 alternative of EBAY is a much better option.

A higher compression gasket is usually thinner then a stock head gasket. Because of this, the distance between your crankcase and your cylinder head is decreased aiding the compression and combustion of fuel.

The good? Higher torque values and an expect 4 bhp increase. The bad? Higher running temperatures and the need to run higher octaned fuel to prevent knocking.

A high compression gasket is NOT plug and play though. Correct piston to valve clearances will need to be done after you easily install a seemingly harmless gasket.

Think u bought the last piece man.. couldn't seem to find it.. I remembered my ex owner tellin me tat mine was the 1st batch of 10r tat came in.. :giddy:

Let The Good Times Roll

Originally posted by VoLcAnO@December 31, 2006 12:21 am

I have yet to commence on the M.O. Price would be dependent on the quantity required. Let me work out the detail and get back to you guys next week. Those interested kindly list down your name below so that I could have an idea on the quantity. Thanks.

1) Suix

2) myxilplix

3) Volcano

4)

First of all, a Happie New Year to all the fellow riders here. I will closed the list this coming Friday (5 Jan) and then get back to you guy on the price. Thus far we have only 3 names to the list. :giddy:

Ride With Passion

Originally posted by suix@January 03, 2007 11:15 am

First of all, a Happie New Year to all the fellow riders here. I will closed the list this coming Friday (5 Jan) and then get back to you guy on the price. Thus far we have only 3 names to the list. :giddy:

If its compatible with 636 den prob we'll have more orders. :goodluck:

Let The Good Times Roll

Originally posted by myxilplix@January 08, 2007 06:35 pm

Suix any update on the mass order (of 3 people lol) for the GIPro? What's the standard pricing on it anyway?

I will get back to you guys at the end of the day. . . Please bear with me. . Thanks.

Ride With Passion