SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Shell own law, very conceited

Lonewolf

the thing is... some are getting really worked up over this issue. tantrums flaring when told of the ruling (aight, not a law yet. point taken.), filling in just enough just to get to the other kiosk, etc etc...

it's just childish.

hello! =)

R6!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you get a $10 petrol voucher at Shell with your Escape points? I went to their website and it seems the smallest voucher value is $20, which you can get for 600 pts. Which seems pointless if you own a small bike.

At Esso/Mobil, you can get a $10 voucher for 300 points, which makes greater sense for people who don't pump petrol very often, and whose bike's tanks are small (full tank just over $10), like me and my bike :) That alone is a good reason to jump ship.

BTW, I don't look at the other items that I can get because they require too many points. I rather get rebates as soon as I can rather than save and accumulate. Points expire, and rules change with time :)

aiya, actually its okay for them to advise you not to ride whilst sitting on bike la, but if they force u then its a bit inappropriate liao lar.

den again ah, evfen if u squeeze that much petrol into the bike, later u put back side stand or corner a bit , it wil come out from the overflow pipe again one lar...lol

for sale :

rotax 122 clutch basket - very low wear, see to believe!

25 piece cdr - brand new $8

17" monitor - flickers when cold $10

castrol chain wax & chain spray - still a lot left $5

Originally posted by fibre@Mar 2 2005, 11:22 AM

den again ah, evfen if u squeeze that much petrol into the bike, later u put back side stand or corner a bit , it wil come out from the overflow pipe again one lar...lol

The question is, we cannot pump "Full Tank", does it matter if the petrol will flow out from overflow tube ?

We are talking about a business that worth $21,866,000 each year....

** Be smart, ride safely, stay legal **

Please read the << Street Smart >> thread.

shell so rich still scared ppl who pump $10 run away ah... all the more reasons to boy***t them seyyy... money minded buggers...

but really, my bike gains extra miles with their petrol... dunno why also.. can be as much as 5 or 6km/L leh... ..... .... ........ sooooooooo, i'll still pump at shell :smile:

It's your damn bike, wash it yourself! You rinse your own mouth after you eat, don't you?

I say it again. Its for the bikers own safety.

Even the CMRA 2005 endurance race regulations stipulated viz:

"Clause 17. Refueling regulations. Sub. cl C: All refuelings will be "DEAD ENGINE WITH THE RIDER OFF THE MOTORCYCLE" Failure to comply is an automatic disqualification."

The font size and bold type are as shown in the rule book to emphasise the point.

Here is the thread for the regualtion if you wish to read it. http://www.roadracing.org/ftp/2005/CMRA200...trationForm.pdf

And this requirement by Shell is also enforced in New Zealand.

So dont feel so bad about it hor.

Originally posted by fibre@Mar 2 2005, 11:22 AM

aiya, actually its okay for them to advise you not to ride whilst sitting on bike la, but if they force u then its a bit inappropriate liao lar.

eh...to not ride while sitting on bike???

Postman Eating Inc*

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/murano04sfs/38y29ty14.gif

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/155006-1/Mascot_scares_girl.gif

Squid defination: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squid

Originally posted by vfrT@Mar 2 2005, 04:04 PM

"Clause 17. Refueling regulations. Sub. cl C: All refuelings will be "DEAD ENGINE WITH THE RIDER OFF THE MOTORCYCLE" Failure to comply is an automatic disqualification."

The font size and bold type are as shown in the rule book to emphasise the point.

Here is the thread for the regualtion if you wish to read it. http://www.roadracing.org/ftp/2005/CMRA200...trationForm.pdf

Think about it from this angle if you will......

You will agree with me that by driving or/and public transport, you greatly reduce the potential and magnitude for personal injury to yourself, yes?

Then even though you know this, why do you still ride anyway?

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

Ok. Lets break it up in pieces.

Shell says, its for safety reasons.

What safety reasons? To prevent a fire, or an explosion.

What are the possible causes of a fire/explosion?

#1. Static electricity?

#2. Spillage of petrol

#1. Static electricity:

Can anyone tell me what pigging difference it makes in terms of static electricity being generated whether the bike is on its side stand or if the rider is straddling it?

On both counts, the rider would have to be in contact with the bike to open the fuel tank cap, and hold it steady, effectively discharging whatever static charges that may have been built up. (p.s. This is from what I understand of static electricity)

So no difference there.

#2. Spillage of petrol:

Different riders are comfortable with different ways of refuelling their bikes. Some prefer standing up. Others prefer straddling their bikes while doing it. Take me for instance. Having pumped my petrol while straddling my bike since day one, I feel I have more control over the amount of petrol I pump. When asked to dismount, I spilt some amounts of petrol all over my fuel tank because the tension of the cables connecting the nozzle to the pump kept turning the nozzle away from the hole, and not being used to it, I wasn't prepared enough to act accordingly.

Now tell me, isn't it all the same? By making riders who are more comfortable with pumping away while straddling their bikes do it while standing up, what are the chances that some of these bikers may be as 'chiu cheng' as me and end up spilling petrol, when in the 1st place they would have avoided doing so if they did it in the way they were most proficient at?

Hence, I do not see the rationale behind this baffling new ruling that the yellow and red stations in SG have chosen to impliment.

Postman Eating Inc*

Originally posted by spy622@Mar 1 2005, 08:47 PM

I wonder y is ther such a big hoo-haa on this....

Shell is trying to create a safety awareness champian as a private company doing itz part to educate ppl out there to keep everyone safe....

if it is so troublesome to dismount n pump at shell then go to switch to some other petrol station n do ur top up....saying dat itz diffcult to top up when the bike is tilted is just another excuse and if u cherish ur life more by doin the extra bit to dismount it cause no harm...

so wat if passengers in cars r actually causing more static bulid up, if anything happen then let the passengers in the car die 1st lah serving themselves right for staying in the car..

so lets look at this with a clearer mind set...who will get the last laugh if 1 fine day REALLY something happen to the rider who is topping up halfway while mounted on the bike????......

Before I end juz 1 more simple question, no 1 smokes in a petrol station in Spore BUT once we r across the causeway for example at GP Esso ther r sure some riders or drivers happily smoking away while waiting for the groups to form up...so we all kno itz dangerous BUT y r we still doing this????

and how does dismounting show u value ur life more?

Postman Eating Inc*

Originally posted by shiraz@Mar 2 2005, 03:06 PM

shell so rich still scared ppl who pump $10 run away ah... all the more reasons to boy***t them seyyy... money minded buggers...

we start businesses to make lots of money. :smile:

niwayz.. when there's enough ppl signing up for the petition (i didn't, i like vPower.:offtopic: ) and sent, i just want to see Shell's side of the story.

bring some balance to the arguments.

hello! =)

R6!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by vfrT@Mar 2 2005, 04:04 PM

May be true when topping up the bike with ultra high octane, super volatile racing fuels via a canister-into-a-funnel, or high pressure pump... all this into the tank of a motorcycle running ultra hot after God knows how many laps on a track. Spillage is quite possible here.

Comparatively, on street fuel via a normal pump into a bike running at nominal temperatures, the possibility of a flash fire is much reduced.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/DeusXMachina/Lean2a.jpg

If they want us to dismount, i think they should first start by improving their attendant's attitude. Some are getting really bad when facing us bikers. Since we are also paying customers, y don't they ask the attendant to start to pump for all bikes from now onwards. :cheeky:

Sep 2001 - Jan 2003 WR200

Jan 2003 - Feb 2005 S4 spec 1

Feb 2005 - Apr 2006 FZ6

Apr 2006 - May 2006 Vios & FZ6

May2006 - Jan 2007 Vios

Jan 2007 - ???????? Vios & S4 spec 1

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p167/senate747/CIMG6396.jpg

maybe they can start wiping the bikes like how they wipe the car's windscreen and tire walls! no need to help to refuel also can AT LEAST do something mah... :cheeky:

It's your damn bike, wash it yourself! You rinse your own mouth after you eat, don't you?

Originally posted by cabal@Mar 3 2005, 04:21 PM

erm... i dont get the phrase "full tank"

how full is "full"?

there's a recommendation to not fill up to the brim for petrol expansion, no?

Probably.

But I'd figure that by the time you travel a kilometer or two, the consumption would have burned off enough gas to clear some way for expansion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/DeusXMachina/Lean2a.jpg

i gave shell another chance last nite . went to the one at woodlands ave 9 .

when i rode in , i could c most of the attendants looking at me as i rode in , akin to vultures looking for their prey . (Or r they looking at my bike? :cheeky: )

anyway , i rode to the nearest pump , off engine n start to pump . Was expecting someone to stop me but nobody did leh , or they were too engrossed in cleaning the cars ?

My pump was hidden from view from the cashier but i think the cashier was too busy to notice me either .

So has shell gone soft or they nvr noticed a tiny biker who is surrounded by a sea of cars ?

GIVI Touring windscreen for FZ1 2006 onwards for sale - $90

http://www.koolart-japan.com/images/small/P1246.jpghttp://www.koolart-japan.com/images/small/P1721.jpg

Maybe they saw your face damn fierce...... decided to back off.......

:sweat:

Forgot to add at first I also like this, give chance here and there, but later realised that I'm getting stressed just by going to pump petrol and need to anticipate whether people will tell me off or not... Finally thought it through clearly: Here I am paying money for petrol yet feeling like so stressed everytime I see them look at me like I'm a fugitive, wtf?! So I switched to Esso, pumping in peace with Speedpass. No hassle.

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

u guys aware that static electricity can light up your bike?

especially if u're wearing woolen clothes on cold days. I try to find the video n post it here

anyway, standing beside can run away faster lar. realli...

for sale :

think drivers can read tis too:

With the generalisation of self-service facilities in petrol stations people should be warned about the outbreak of fires resulting from static electricity while they are pouring in petrol.

150 cases of this type of fire have been investigated and the results were very surprising.

1- Of the 150 cases, more happened to women than men, due to their habit of getting in and out of the vehicle while the petrol is being poured in.

2- In the majority of cases the people had re-entered their cars when the hose was still pouring petrol out (the danger of the triggers on the nosepieces). When they finished refueling and got out to remove the hose pistol the fire began, as a result of the static electricity.

3- The majority of those affected used rubber-soled footwear and clothes of synthetic fibres.

4- Never use mobile phones when filling up with fuel.

5- It is well known that it is the vapour that comes from the petrol that burns and causes the fire when it makes contact with static charges.

6- In twenty-nine of the cases analysed, the people re-entered their vehicles and later touched the pistols during the petrol fuelling process. This happened in cars of different varieties of makes and models.

7- Seventeen fires occurred before, during or immediately after the cap of the petrol tank was removed and before starting to fill up with petrol.

8- The static charge often results from when a passenger rubs their clothes against the upholstery of the seats on getting in or out of the vehicle. To avoid this, it is recommendable that NOBODY gets in or out of the vehicle while the petrol is being poured in. Movement in or out should only be done BEFORE starting, or when the fuelling is finished and the petrol cap placed.

9- MAXIMISE THE PRECAUTIONS if the petrol has spilt or splashed onto the ground. Highly inflammable vapours are immediately produced which can be ignited by sparks of static electricity from the turning on of electronic equipment (mobile phones, remote controls, etc.) or by the ignition of the vehicle itself. BEFORE starting up the engine again, the spilt petrol must be gathered or neutralised by the petrol station staff.

Loading petrol

IN YOUR VEHICLE: Stop, put the hand brake on and turn off the engine, radio and lights

NEVER: Never return to your vehicle while you are pouring in fuel.

AS A PRECAUTION: Get used to closing the car door on getting out or into the vehicle and in this way the static electricity will be discharged on touching something metallic.

After closing the door TOUCH THE METAL PART OF THE BODYWORK before touching the petrol pump pistol. By doing this the static electricity in your body will be discharged on the metal and not on the pistol.

for sale :

Originally posted by fibre@Mar 5 2005, 01:43 AM

After closing the door TOUCH THE METAL PART OF THE BODYWORK before touching the petrol pump pistol. By doing this the static electricity in your body will be discharged on the metal and not on the pistol.

This also means if you are sitting on your bike and pumping petrol yourself, any static electricity buildup is immediately discharged through the pump and bike if you are touching the bike

because the discharge is an ongoing process, the discharged current will be very little

what will cause a fire in this case, is you sitting on your bike, an attendant pumping petrol for you, then you go touch the pump.

as long as you pump yourself, static electricity won't be able to build up

http://photos-313.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v160/113/88/592651313/n592651313_483240_5577.jpg