SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

STREET SMART

Spectrum

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guys.. remember always practise defensive riding and the occasional OFFENSIVE riding.. protect urself.. cos in an accident the rider is always the loser..

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/wayangxjr/contrast_siggy.jpg

Originally posted by endlessloop@Jun 10 2005, 02:16 PM

Some of my thoughts on these commercial vehicle drivers:

- Next time you may want to observe, most of them have a tendency to drive very close to the vehicles in front whether they are on the extreme left or middle lanes. This is regardless of the type of vehicle in front of them.

- Their safety distance to us may be made worse because we are on a bike. Why? Because they can see right "through" us of the traffic in front. So they need not keep such a longer safety distance to react. If the vechicle in front of them is a car or a big vehicle, the driver can't see "through" and has to keep a bigger safety distance to ract. This happens across all lanes and not just the extreme left. The drivers are not out to "eat you" or "cheap you". It may be a "wrong" thing for them to do. They just unconsciously did it and is not personal against you.

- You are an experienced rider. You know that in the end, size matters. Smaller sized vehicles tend to give way to bigger sized vehicles, regardless of right of way. Even cars have to give way to bigger sized vehicles like big lorry, trailer, cement trucks, buses.

As a result many years of driving and people giving way to them, many of these drivers of big vehicles develop the mentality that when overtaking/filtering lanes, they unconsciously assumed that you will give way to them. They may not be out to purposely cut into your lane. They may not know that you are not giving way to them.

They may also filter out of sheer desperation and asking you to please give way to them because they are big and cumbersome, very hard to filter and see the traffic around them, and very slow.

On the contrary, if you notice carefully, many big vehicle drivers are the most courteous drivers on the road. These big vehicle drivers are "gentle giants". They know they can't drive fast and aren't in a big hurry to get anywhere. So they are the ones that will give way if you need to filter into their lane. More so than the smaller commercial vehicel drivers.

Some of my thoughts about bikers:

- Don't be so sticky about our "right of way". It is a nice-to-have. But be realistic. If we are going to ride thinking that everybody has to follow and respect our right of way, we are going to be very unhappy riding or get ourselves injured.

- Beware of our own inferiority complex. Some times we think we get bullied because we are on a smaller bike or smaller car. Then we get upset. There is no need to. Most of the time, the problem lies with the other party and not us. The "guilty party" just tailgates every vehicle, not just us because we are on a cheaper transport.

Have you experienced this before? Seeing in your rear view mirror, a big car that tailgates you like a glue. Then you think "idiot! tailgate me because I'm on a bike right". In exasperation, you give way and let the idiotic car over take. Then you realised that idiotic car just tailgates the next car in front! So the problem is the driver, not you! So no need to develop unhappiness over your good-old-cheap-but-gets-you-anywhere transport just because of some idiot!

I believe that riding is like in life, you should try to be as happy as possible. Spend less time being unhappy. It is especially not worthwhile to make ourselves unhappy over people that we don't like or are strangers.

:thumb:

good one.. juz let these tail gaters tru la.. but they continue to change lane n tailgate u.. ermm.. plan B.. operation "smell no smoke".. wahahaha~ lolz :cheeky:

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/wayangxjr/contrast_siggy.jpg

Some of my thoughts on these commercial vehicle drivers:

- Next time you may want to observe, most of them have a tendency to drive very close to the vehicles in front whether they are on the extreme left or middle lanes. This is regardless of the type of vehicle in front of them.

- Their safety distance to us may be made worse because we are on a bike. Why? Because they can see right "through" us of the traffic in front. So they need not keep such a longer safety distance to react. If the vechicle in front of them is a car or a big vehicle, the driver can't see "through" and has to keep a bigger safety distance to ract. This happens across all lanes and not just the extreme left. The drivers are not out to "eat you" or "cheap you". It may be a "wrong" thing for them to do. They just unconsciously did it and is not personal against you.

- You are an experienced rider. You know that in the end, size matters. Smaller sized vehicles tend to give way to bigger sized vehicles, regardless of right of way. Even cars have to give way to bigger sized vehicles like big lorry, trailer, cement trucks, buses.

As a result many years of driving and people giving way to them, many of these drivers of big vehicles develop the mentality that when overtaking/filtering lanes, they unconsciously assumed that you will give way to them. They may not be out to purposely cut into your lane. They may not know that you are not giving way to them.

They may also filter out of sheer desperation and asking you to please give way to them because they are big and cumbersome, very hard to filter and see the traffic around them, and very slow.

On the contrary, if you notice carefully, many big vehicle drivers are the most courteous drivers on the road. These big vehicle drivers are "gentle giants". They know they can't drive fast and aren't in a big hurry to get anywhere. So they are the ones that will give way if you need to filter into their lane. More so than the smaller commercial vehicel drivers.

Some of my thoughts about bikers:

- Don't be so sticky about our "right of way". It is a nice-to-have. But be realistic. If we are going to ride thinking that everybody has to follow and respect our right of way, we are going to be very unhappy riding or get ourselves injured.

- Beware of our own inferiority complex. Some times we think we get bullied because we are on a smaller bike or smaller car. Then we get upset. There is no need to. Most of the time, the problem lies with the other party and not us. The "guilty party" just tailgates every vehicle, not just us because we are on a cheaper transport.

Have you experienced this before? Seeing in your rear view mirror, a big car that tailgates you like a glue. Then you think "idiot! tailgate me because I'm on a bike right". In exasperation, you give way and let the idiotic car over take. Then you realised that idiotic car just tailgates the next car in front! So the problem is the driver, not you! So no need to develop unhappiness over your good-old-cheap-but-gets-you-anywhere transport just because of some idiot!

I believe that riding is like in life, you should try to be as happy as possible. Spend less time being unhappy. It is especially not worthwhile to make ourselves unhappy over people that we don't like or are strangers.

good one! we need alot of drivers/riders like u..

now, if only someone can spread this messages ard, im sure many riders would benefit from them..

Philosophy A: Ignore what everyone else thinks. Riding is a better way to get around. Ride paranoid and keep your skills sharp

Philosophy B: Ride with somebody who's better than you. You will pick up a handy trick or new skill just about every time you are out

Philosophy C: You don't need a big bike to prove ur passion for riding

Story Time:

When Lorry Hits Police Car

A close friend of mine drives a Sand Lorry.

Now He relates to that when he changes lane...

It is very difficult for him to see the vehicle behind...

Partly 'cos of his lousy Side Mirror...

So what he does is to slowly filter into the Lane....

& if there's no horning... He filters thru. :giddy:

Now On this paticular day...

He hit a Police Car filtering to a new lane.

Of course he was booked!

And police car dented!

Now... The Real World.

I am Not on anybody side...

But All Vehicles do have their difficulities.

Especially Commercial Vehicles... Schd to make... rush...

Boss/Customers... Hurry, Hurry...

As Endless had said... Sometimes... we can just give way...

Be Happy & Move On...

Thinks Life have Enough Problem as it is... :thumb:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/logo/Signature23.jpg

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

In the United States Cities:

The Highways are Sometimes 7/8 lanes wide...

Eg. Very difficult to exit if Traffic is Heavy.

So when Someone Signal to Filter Right or Left...

The Vehicle automatically gives Way.

No Hard Feelings whatsoever.

Interesting! :smile:

WAY-OF-LIFE (in the US)

Well, Maybe One day... We can all do it this Way...

:cheer: :thumb:

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

Originally posted by Ravon11@May 9 2005, 10:42 PM

1) weather?? cant change la..!!

2) is theer any way to educate asian culture?

3) garmen control? no way to reduce la...?

4) any way to change the attityde of riders?

:smile:

heh, toking about mindset..

how many times did u contemplated not wearing ur gloves in the past?? :smile:

just to side track, once was going home after soccer match in camp, had my zeus flip-up, army boots and long 4 wif pants, unfortunately, i decide to forgo my gloves because my hands are still perspiring and it was juz too warm to wear. then took a slow ride back home and while at a corner at sungei kadut way going towards woodlands rd, i skidded due to the small pebbles left by some big trucks. Results? Skin of my right palm torn. Learnt a lesson then that, no matter how u dun feel like it, wearing protective gears are the best way to protect urself. Now im so used to wearing gloves, my hands feel so "naked" w/o it.. while riding of cos! :cheeky:

Philosophy A: Ignore what everyone else thinks. Riding is a better way to get around. Ride paranoid and keep your skills sharp

Philosophy B: Ride with somebody who's better than you. You will pick up a handy trick or new skill just about every time you are out

Philosophy C: You don't need a big bike to prove ur passion for riding

ya me too so use to glove, couple of times didn't wear makes me feel naked, very uneasy.

agree with bro endlessloop i've been trying very hard to keep Budda's teaching in mind. don't be too bother by those little things in life but sometimes i tell u uh...really tuo lan can not control :sweat:

1991-Katana125 1992-GN125 1993-Terminator250 1995-Intruder400 1996-ZX-7RRP1 & Charade1L 1996-Vulcan800 1998-Accent1.5L 2001-CorollaXLI 2002-TDM900 2005-Phamton150 2006-FJR1300 2007-KLE500 & WRX JDM 2010-Spark135 & Legacy GT 2012-Focus SW & Sylphy 2015-V Strom 650XT & D Tracker, 2016-Cross Country & RS4 125, 2017-Moto Guzzi V7ii Stone

The other day I was on the PIE, there was taxi infront of me and in front of this taxi is a slow moving car. We were on the 2nd lane.

I saw an opportunity to overtake this taxi and the slow moving car in front and as I signal and move to my right into lane 1 at the same time turning my head to double check.

To my horror when I turn my head back to the front, this taxi had also decided to overtake the slow moving car and was just in front of me. I am accelerating to overtake at this time, I have no choice but to brake hard. Luckily I always cover my front brake with one finger and manage to brake without any skidding.

After both of us had overtake the slow moving car, the taxi immediately filter back to lane 2. I overtake him on lane 1 and glance at him before pulling away.

He was looking straight ahead and avoided having eye contact with me when I am beside his taxi. I can feels that he is guilty of his action but there is nothing I can do.

I just have to be more careful on the road.

I have to take care of myself, because nobody will take care of me. :sweat:

It doesn't make any difference whether a motorcyclist has the right-of-way or not, the rider is the one most likely to get hurt.

http://www.motorcycle-accidents.com/bike_photo/4-21-02_b.jpg

Great informative thread guys. I just finished my probation and I must say what I learnt here is priceless. I was shocked when I saw what happened to the ST -11!! Great advice all around and hope to see many more "experiences" or "tips" so that neebirds like me can learn.

FORMERLY KNOWN AS DEATHINC2004

If you train hard, you'll not only be hard, you'll be hard to beat.

New MO Thread for Bike Alarms coming soon!

Originally posted by ReBornBikeR@Jun 11 2005, 01:54 PM

"I have to take care of myself, because nobody will take care of me."

That is most true for all bikers.

"I saw an opportunity to overtake ... at the same time turning my head to double check."

On bikes, checking our blind-spot before filtering is not only a good practice, but a MUST. Unlike cars, even a light touch to the adjacent vehicle will send us tumbling

But some times when checking blind-spot, we can take up to 1-2 seconds, particularly when there is heavy traffic around us.

During this brief 1-2 second of lost of front vision, if we are unlucky, we may be greeted by nasty surprise when we turn our head back. Eg: DeathInc2004's experience or the vehicle in front suddenly jam brake.

This was not a major problem to me when I rode class2B bike. It become a common problem when I changed to a faster bike because the more powerful the bike is, the faster it tend to close in to the vehicle in front.

My solution was to install those small little round mirrors that you see on some cars' side mirrors, onto my bike's side mirrors.

This way, I can check blind-spot without turning my head.

Sure, it may look a little weird on my sportsbike. But isn't my life worth it?

These small round blind spot mirrors are easily available at AutoBacs and most petrol kioks' and supermarkets' car accessory section.

29 Mar:

2009 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer Owner's Review

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

www.RiderAsia.com Safety site for motorcycle riders

true dat...but how many can achieve it...cheers! :thirsty:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/kea182/Signature01.jpg

Originally posted by endlessloop@Jun 11 2005, 06:26 PM

My solution was to install those small little round mirrors that you see on some cars' side mirrors, onto my bike's side mirrors.

These small round blind spot mirrors are easily available at AutoBacs and most petrol kioks' and supermarkets' car accessory section.

r u sure there's no need to check blindspot wif those miracle mirrors :confused:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/kea182/Signature01.jpg

Originally posted by endlessloop@Jun 11 2005, 06:26 PM

I had ONE round mirror stuck onto my right side mirror and another ONE curve wide angle mirror glued onto the top of the same mirror already but somehow I don't trust them.

Ever happen once I filter right and had a car horn at me, really scare the hell out of me.

I think I need more time to get use to my mirror :sweat:

It doesn't make any difference whether a motorcyclist has the right-of-way or not, the rider is the one most likely to get hurt.

http://www.motorcycle-accidents.com/bike_photo/4-21-02_b.jpg

Originally posted by ketten hunde@Jun 11 2005, 06:34 PM

r u sure there's no need to check blindspot wif those miracle mirrors :confused:

those are blindspot mirrors

if still need to check blindspot by turning head, they won't be called blindspot mirrors

http://photos-313.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v160/113/88/592651313/n592651313_483240_5577.jpg

Originally posted by ReBornBikeR@Jun 11 2005, 01:54 PM

The other day I was on the PIE, there was taxi infront of me and in front of this taxi is a slow moving car. We were on the 2nd lane.

I saw an opportunity to overtake this taxi and the slow moving car in front and as I signal and move to my right into lane 1 at the same time turning my head to double check.

To my horror when I turn my head back to the front, this taxi had also decided to overtake the slow moving car and was just in front of me. I am accelerating to overtake at this time, I have no choice but to brake hard. Luckily I always cover my front brake with one finger and manage to brake without any skidding.

After both of us had overtake the slow moving car, the taxi immediately filter back to lane 2. I overtake him on lane 1 and glance at him before pulling away.

He was looking straight ahead and avoided having eye contact with me when I am beside his taxi. I can feels that he is guilty of his action but there is nothing I can do.

I just have to be more careful on the road.

I have to take care of myself, because nobody will take care of me. :sweat:

Similar Incident Reported on Pg Strait Time today.

Most Unfortunate.

1000cc Super-Bike trying to overtake vehicle in Front of him.

And this vehicle also made a move to overtake car ahead of him.

Bike Emer Brake... skidded & hit Center Railing.

Bike bounce back on to path of 2nd Bike Behind.

He too was thrown off bike.

All at 47km mark Sedenak(after Kulai) N-S Highway on the way to Genting.

What we can learn...

1. Is to let vehicle we are overtaking(flash lites... )

2. Be able to slow down to avoid vehicle if he pulls up infront of U.

3. Also Note if the car infront of Him is holding him back...

eg. he wants to overtake too.

4. If he still moves out... HORN! ....

5. And He still moves out... Aiya! Slow Down & let him thru.

...Can always overtake him later.

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

There is Couple Injured in Bike Accident with Lorry.

Strait Time Home pg 5

3.30am

Jurong West Ave 1 towards Boon Lay...

Is that the "Deadly Junctions of Jurong"

At that time... early wee morning...

Drivers/riders are sleepy.

It is also after closing time of drinking joints.

Critical Time for things to happen...

Be extra alert if u ride at these times!

Too much alcohol may impair their judgement

in driving their vehicle

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

Originally posted by burningacid@Jun 10 2005, 07:33 PM

heh, toking about mindset..

how many times did u contemplated not wearing ur gloves in the past?? :smile:

just to side track, once was going home after soccer match in camp, had my zeus flip-up, army boots and long 4 wif pants, unfortunately, i decide to forgo my gloves because my hands are still perspiring and it was juz too warm to wear. then took a slow ride back home and while at a corner at sungei kadut way going towards woodlands rd, i skidded due to the small pebbles left by some big trucks. Results? Skin of my right palm torn. Learnt a lesson then that, no matter how u dun feel like it, wearing protective gears are the best way to protect urself. Now im so used to wearing gloves, my hands feel so "naked" w/o it.. while riding of cos! :cheeky:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/WearProtection.jpg

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

Another incident to share.

Stopping within my lane at junctions waiting to turn right into carpark. One oncoming car is turning left slowly into the carpark. A impatient lorry behind decided to pull a stunt to overtake the slow turning car. Swerving into my lane passing just infront of my bike!!! There's nothing I can do. Very unfair to me if tragic happened.

Is this luck? Good luck or bad luck?

I'm glad I'm still alive.

As for the small round blindspot mirrors:

- I had been using them for abt 10 years. For car, van and bike.

So far, I am rather comfortable with using them.

- Yes, it does take some time to get use to them and not everyone like to use them.

Important things to note;

- Position them and adjust them (try to get those turnable ones) such that you can see your blind spot

- Even at the best position, you may not be able to see a complete vehicle at your blind spot.

The key thing is to able to identify the presence of a vehicle in a blind spot by spotting part of it in the mirror.

- At night, you need to check more carefully because a black car might not be so obvious in the mirror.

As for travelling along northsouth highway

I know of many instances of bikes travelling at up to 200kmh along NS. Some of these bikes even cruise at 200kmh for long distances.

I think the danger is that some drivers travelling along NS do not expect vehicles to travel at such high speed.

If one travels at 200kmh and a car travels at 110kmh, the speed differential is 90kmh. Imagine you are stationary as a pedestrian with a car speeding towards you at 90kmh.

Modern Class2 sportsbikes of 600cc and above can easily attain speed in excess of 270kmh. So the speed differential can be over 160kmh! :giddy:

So when an unsuspecting driver along NS tries to overtake, he could have checked his side and rear mirrors and the road 100m behind was clear for him to overtake. So he turns his attention to his front and starts filtering his car to his right. Little does he expect that within a couple of seconds, he has a bike closing him at over 90kmh and his overtaking move puts his car into the path of the incoming bike...

And previously, I was preaching about the need to practise emergency braking under various realistic scenarios. But who has practised e-braking at speeds of 200-300kmh???!!!

It is common for cars to travel along NS at up to 150kmh. But not every malaysian driver has encountered a vehicle approaching them at 200kmh.

So a note of caution to those Class2 bike holders travelling along NS.

Even if your lane is clear, if there are cars travelling along the next lane, drop your speed into an "expected" zone of speed.

Actually, this principle applies to sg riding as well.

It is the principle of riding in a predictable manner.

29 Mar:

2009 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer Owner's Review

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

www.RiderAsia.com Safety site for motorcycle riders

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/Karak01_resize.jpg

Highway Riding

Look Far & Wide.

If u Spot a Heavy Vehicle(Bus, Lorries... )

Attempting to Overtake another Heavy Vehicle...

Even Though u are Far Away...

Start Slowing Down Immediately...

Otherwise... It's Emer Braking...

These Heavy Vehicle Overtakes at a Very Slow Spd...

And They Totally Block Up the Highway with their enomous Bodies!

That leaves no Escape Routes.

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

NS mostly only 2 lane & my usual cruising speed 140km/h-160km/h when 1 lane is occupied. will open throttle only when both lane ahead is clear. like wat endlessloop mention normal drivers will not expect some1 to speed ^200km/h.

share with u guys 1 incident:

i was riding from sle to bke one morning. as u know morning bke r pack with large vech coming in from karanji & malaysia. as i singnal right & meage into bke i was in-between 2 lorry, feeling uncomfortable i quickly continue right into between lane 3 & 2. at this time a tp suddenly appear in my rear hard breaking! i did check my blind spot but 'cos of the lorry & me also not expecting any1 to travel at high speed in-between lanes at that kinda traffic so i fail to check far enough to notice this "high speed tp" :giddy:

though i ride at legal speed n checked my blind spot i was booked for careless riding :weep:

1991-Katana125 1992-GN125 1993-Terminator250 1995-Intruder400 1996-ZX-7RRP1 & Charade1L 1996-Vulcan800 1998-Accent1.5L 2001-CorollaXLI 2002-TDM900 2005-Phamton150 2006-FJR1300 2007-KLE500 & WRX JDM 2010-Spark135 & Legacy GT 2012-Focus SW & Sylphy 2015-V Strom 650XT & D Tracker, 2016-Cross Country & RS4 125, 2017-Moto Guzzi V7ii Stone

Originally posted by comics00@Jun 12 2005, 09:40 AM

though i ride at legal speed n checked my blind spot i was booked for careless riding :weep:

And... was he booked for dangerous riding or speeding!!!???

:cheeky: :cheeky:

<u>PASSION</u> : Strong emotion, Great enthusiasm.

Riders' passion is to ride.

Its NOT from point A to point B that a rider enjoy,

its DURING point A to point B that he enjoy..

http://www.hondahornet.co.uk/images/cb9001.jpg