SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Unrealistic 2nd hand bike prices

teambhp

Hi all

I was browsing some of the sellers ad in this forum for the past few weeks. I do agree that some of the asking prices are on the ridiculous side.of course,this is a free mkt n they are free to sell whatever prices they want.

I also saw a few posts where the buyer dislike the prices n post in an unconstructive manner in the sellers thread. Personally I think we are mature adults, n such destructive words are uncalled for. If u feel that the prices are unfair, please leave them alone. If they cannot sell,they can jolly well push in to the bike shop.many sellers are taking advantage of the current high coe prices n sharp buyers do know that.

I am not moderator.please do not misunderstand my intentions by starting this thread. All I hope to see is a more constructive forum. Let us not degrade to a forum like edmw in hardware zone.com. Thank you

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pushing this up. Ironic that the person who started this topic is becoming one of the most annoying pests i see in here.

:clapping::clap::clapping:Agreed:clap::clapping::clap:

Room clearance sale! Brand New Full Leather TPU glove for sale @ $40.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/c4ble/04032009.jpg

Hi all

I was browsing some of the sellers ad in this forum for the past few weeks. I do agree that some of the asking prices are on the ridiculous side.of course,this is a free mkt n they are free to sell whatever prices they want.

I also saw a few posts where the buyer dislike the prices n post in an unconstructive manner in the sellers thread. Personally I think we are mature adults, n such destructive words are uncalled for. If u feel that the prices are unfair, please leave them alone. If they cannot sell,they can jolly well push in to the bike shop.many sellers are taking advantage of the current high coe prices n sharp buyers do know that.

I am not moderator.please do not misunderstand my intentions by starting this thread. All I hope to see is a more constructive forum. Let us not degrade to a forum like edmw in hardware zone.com. Thank you

Hi there. Newbie here. Just would like to share my 2 cents one this topic.

Personally as a newbie in the motorbike arena, it is a little bit difficult to be familiar with second hand bike prices as well some of the regulars or more experienced riders. As such, I do appreciate posts where other forum members remind the sellers if their prices are above the market price, or if a much better deal can be found elsewhere. After all a forum is for sharing. Just as we share good deals, we should also help forummers weed out overpriced products/bikes.

Occasionally we see posts about shops who like to chop carrot. I'm sure these posts have helped many forummers saved a few bucks, and also serve as a wake up call to shops who think they can charge as they like. Why should a different standard apply to private sellers who are trying to chop carrot?

Cheers

Hi there. Newbie here. Just would like to share my 2 cents one this topic.

Personally as a newbie in the motorbike arena, it is a little bit difficult to be familiar with second hand bike prices as well some of the regulars or more experienced riders. As such, I do appreciate posts where other forum members remind the sellers if their prices are above the market price, or if a much better deal can be found elsewhere. After all a forum is for sharing. Just as we share good deals, we should also help forummers weed out overpriced products/bikes.

Occasionally we see posts about shops who like to chop carrot. I'm sure these posts have helped many forummers saved a few bucks, and also serve as a wake up call to shops who think they can charge as they like. Why should a different standard apply to private sellers who are trying to chop carrot?

Cheers

Thanks for support

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk

ok first of all no matter what ridiculous price was put up

if there are buyers willing to pay, we got no say

usually when i see those prices i just keep quite

cause seller got the right to advertise even if its a million dollar

now whether if they manage to sell it will be another issue

what can a buyer do is to negotiate the price both can agree on

if cant agree then move on

its not like all these bikes are limited editions

as a buyer, you got to ask yourself 2 things in the current situation

1. what if i buy and coe crash

2. what if i wait and coe rises

if you can answer these and have no regrets when choosing, you can sleep peacefully everynight

ok first of all no matter what ridiculous price was put up

if there are buyers willing to pay, we got no say

usually when i see those prices i just keep quite

cause seller got the right to advertise even if its a million dollar

now whether if they manage to sell it will be another issue

what can a buyer do is to negotiate the price both can agree on

if cant agree then move on

its not like all these bikes are limited editions

as a buyer, you got to ask yourself 2 things in the current situation

1. what if i buy and coe crash

2. what if i wait and coe rises

if you can answer these and have no regrets when choosing, you can sleep peacefully everynight

No one can really predict how coe goes

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk

My view in buying 2nd hand bike.

1. what's the COE for the year and month the bike was bought - Never look at current COE (newbie alert)

2. what's the price of the bike you want to buy at brand new

3. Calculate depreciation value = COE (Year Bought) + Bike price(New) - Offered price

different bike different depreciation value but if like $100 or $200 - don't bother, go look else where.

4. small bike - ride around, feels good then consider ba unless sport bike refer to point 5

5. Big bikes high maintenance/expensive , Push to bike shop and get mechanic to check before considering else take your own risk.

2004-2009 Kawasaki KR150

2009 - 2015 Yamaha Fino

2015 - Honda PCX 150

ultimately depends on how much money u have now, n how much u willing to pay mthly then u look at wats availalable in the market... used as well as new. then usually, u will end up getting a bike a little more expensive than wat u initially plan for. or not get anything at all...

Liverpool revival has started....

A seller name Trevor advertised his 1993 Yamaha Vmax with coe 2023 for a measly sum of 6999 yesterday at another site. When I saw it this morning, I said to myself wooooooeoeooeoew. this guy must be super rich or the bike must be problem. But the bike is really in superb condition (i assume from the pictures). Trevor must have been reading this site and is trying to tell us that there are still some people who are not affected by the rising coe prices. What do you guys think?

I think Trevor is not in SBF that's y not asking ridiculous prices. he probably look at the price he bought it for, allow for some depreciation and decide on the asking price.

Those who read SBF will look at the "market price" based on the asking price in the sales garage section, look at ppl complaining the high COE, then decides on a price that "reflects the current situiation"

why people accept the mechanics of the used car market, while are so confused over the used bike market.

1) the rapid rise in bike COE is fairly recent. car coe has more or less stabilised. back about 7 years ago when car coe first soared, there was similar confusion like wat we see now with bikes, in terms of ppl being unsure how much a second hand car should cost. plus private sellers also trying price high.

i bought my current korean 1.6L exactly when coe first soared. for the next four years, its value based on advertised price was the same as wat i paid for it. i could have sold it at four years and made zero loss.

2) second hand car market is much bigger and much more easily divided into broad categories, i.e. asian 1.6 sedans, conti 1.6 sedans, asian hatchbacks, etc etc. end result with such a situation is market price is far more visible. i want second hand asian 1.6 sedan, i go one shop and see prices, i can still go another 3 or 4 to compare prices. cheapest price wins. the shop or private seller overpricing the car wont get customers.

bikes are not like that. the availability of secondhand models is smaller, and not so easily defined in broad categories. a secondhand honda 1000cc sports is not priced the same as a suzuki 1000cc sports. and then how do you price old 2-strokers when there is no new price to compare to?

only cubs and super4 i think have visible market price. you try overprice your super4, and buyers can easily find cheaper with other seller or even shops. you want 4-6 yr old R1? heres a seller asking for $20k. you look at the forum and you visit 5 shops all dont have. but got 5 yr old gsx-r1000 asking for 15k. is the R1 overpriced? heck knows.

but like everybody keep saying, dont like then dont buy. you want more accurate market price then go shop, dun go private seller. but if you not happy the $20k 6 yr old R1 you say dam ex but another person really buy, then you suck thumb. because no matter how high and how unhappy, when the price is sold, thats the market price. the upside is if the 20k nobody buy, the seller is overpricing.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

supply and demand.

if one think the price is too high, look elsewhere. if no other place selling cheap, means market is like that.

more so on bikes (and cars too) where the COE expiration is ticking, so from seller angle, less rationale to keep asking unreasonable high price while bike gather dust and losing COE time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing more bikes with 2 years of coe or less being out up for sale. The high COE is making more reluctant to renew their coe. U'll see more bread n butter bikes being scrapped and more COE flowing to the open category. Big bikes prices nearing the 10 yr mark likely to go down too...

The market is like this...when coe is very high demand for used bikes goes up thus their price will go up due to demand. If coe is low u see those sellers wanto sell also hard to sell their bikes... But true enough there are ppl who sell their bikes at higher than market price cos maybe the accessories they have but...10k worth may not equal to adding 10k to the bike price...be glad can add extra 2 or 3k already..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/ghost_04_/SIN%202009/4748b439-d86b-4bf3-a212-e1be01c6664c.jpg

stay calm and carry on...

I also got look ard at 2nd hand market...i see the price of carb super4 selling at prices like rvf of a few years ago...its too overpriced...a bike tat is more than 10years old should be priced at the cost of the renewed coe add abit more. Bike has no scrap value but still depreciates... These are purely my own views u all can disagree if u want. Not targetting anyone in this forum...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/ghost_04_/SIN%202009/4748b439-d86b-4bf3-a212-e1be01c6664c.jpg

stay calm and carry on...