SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] Typical prices for Phantom repairs & mods

thatone1

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ATTACH=CONFIG]174382[/ATTACH]

See anything different?

Bro... I tot de rev meter is for 2 stroke engine? Haha... Anyway how u manage to connect de cable to de engine? Might wanna diy a used sp rev meter to my bike...

Edited by Charlton

Ex bikes ~ Yamaha X1, Honda Phantom TA150

Bajaj Pulsar 200 ~~~ 14/09/11 - ???

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1871/dsc0087zjc.jpg

Blue Pulsar with Orange sprocket.. Cool???

anyway i just passed recently on 9 sept. on 9 sept i get my bike liao..

THEN 1st day.this TA200 of my cant start. due to wiring loose.. close to 1am in the morning at braddel esso.. they came down to help change wiring n all AT MY COST on the 1st day i use the bike.

then today. my engine suddenly stopped again. Running halfway STOPPED. somemore on SLE. canot start again. i check the electric all can. then i suppose the the engine problem.

then i call then. just happen they dun open sunday. sad right?

so i went to a motorshop at HKL alexandra. saying Engine is dry. no engine oil at all. say need overhaul. change piston n everything need about $500-$600.

so i spend $1200 on machine price.

$600+ on insurance

now another $500-$600 on overhaul again.

I'm sayin this to let u guys know. when gettin new bike. dun get in over ur head.

relax n slowly check. dun be like me. carrot till jialat jialat.

and i need help from veteren like u guys. see if this Overhaul izzit too exp. n i kana carrot again.

BTW. bike is less then 10days. including today.

that's why everyone must do their research before doing anything.... overhual cost $300+ only..

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

anyway i just passed recently on 9 sept. on 9 sept i get my bike liao..

THEN 1st day.this TA200 of my cant start. due to wiring loose.. close to 1am in the morning at braddel esso.. they came down to help change wiring n all AT MY COST on the 1st day i use the bike.

then today. my engine suddenly stopped again. Running halfway STOPPED. somemore on SLE. canot start again. i check the electric all can. then i suppose the the engine problem.

then i call then. just happen they dun open sunday. sad right?

so i went to a motorshop at HKL alexandra. saying Engine is dry. no engine oil at all. say need overhaul. change piston n everything need about $500-$600.

so i spend $1200 on machine price.

$600+ on insurance

now another $500-$600 on overhaul again.

I'm sayin this to let u guys know. when gettin new bike. dun get in over ur head.

relax n slowly check. dun be like me. carrot till jialat jialat.

and i need help from veteren like u guys. see if this Overhaul izzit too exp. n i kana carrot again.

BTW. bike is less then 10days. including today.

Oh Dear! When taking out the bike from shop you didn't check the engine oil level mare? :eek:

Must check and insist they top up the oil if it is low. Otherwise no oil inside then start running the engine will spoil the piston!

$600 is FULL overhaul is it? Price includes new piston to replace the old one? And rebore to smoothen the cyclinder? If so then $600 is ok.

If top overhaul to replace only the rings on the piston only, then no. Not worth $600 if only top overhaul.

Motorcyclist are the nicest people on the road, try not to kill us.

Zacherycrum

Hi Zacherycrum, firstly, congrats on getting your license and phantom, however, a bit sorry to hear of your case...

Anyways, 600++ really could depends on a lot of things, to give the bike shop the benefit of doubt, they really do need to see the problems before being able to present a more accurate pricing, however if you do have concerns, it is best to get some opinions...

The few places that are known to phantoms (generally) are

1) Planet motors(Ubi)

2) Unique motors (Kakibukit and West area)

3) For me, if I urgently need servicing or repairs, SPC @ upper thomson road also does quite decent servicing, without chopping (too much)....

as jtzx mentioned, the average overhaul price is about there, but it could vary to a great detail depending on the services needed.... unfortunately its a seller's market, so buyer beware....

but if you feel uncomfortable, it is best to pay the 30-40 doller to tow your bike to another bike shop to get a quotation, better than one shot letting them take 600..

do keep us posted...

all the best man =)

"Wolves and sheep will live together in peace, and leopards will lie down with young goats, calves and lion cubs will feed together, and little children will take care of them. Cows and bears will eat together, and their calves and cubs will lie down in peace." Isaiah 11:6-8

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2010/9/8/17/be-an-optimist-prime-4756-1283979887-3.jpg

Thanks for all u guys concerns.

Anyway. i decided to go ahead with the Overhaul. since the bike is with them n in pieces already. the mech seems nice. he didnt do the overhaul without my concern n insisted me going down to tell me wats really going on with my engine.

i took some pics on my iphone but still sourcing for ways to upload it. i'll keep u all posted.

anyway. i thought of changing shop. see the thing is. if i ask them put back. 1 fee. tow.. another Fee. new shop quote overhaul. Same. might as well i overhaul it at where i am now.

i got a list wat they are changing anyway. so here it is.

piston ring.

chain.

motor tensioner.

spocket.

gear shaft head.

workmanship.

new engine oil.

the top of cap of the engine. screw lining need to be re-drawed. or sth like tat.

i guess tats probably it. he disassembled all of it anyway.

i guess the lesson here is that. IF u dun have frens who ride bikes n u just happen to be the 1st. SOURCE for MORE SHOP.

and thanks all ur advices. though some of my frens n family are rubbin salt into my wound. guess would be the joke of the month. or yr. even yrs.

THANKS U GUYS.. CHeers.

Edited by Zacherycrum

Thanks for all u guys concerns.

Anyway. i decided to go ahead with the Overhaul. since the bike is with them n in pieces already. the mech seems nice. he didnt do the overhaul without my concern n insisted me going down to tell me wats really going on with my engine.

i took some pics on my iphone but still sourcing for ways to upload it. i'll keep u all posted.

anyway. i thought of changing shop. see the thing is. if i ask them put back. 1 fee. tow.. another Fee. new shop quote overhaul. Same. might as well i overhaul it at where i am now.

i got a list wat they are changing anyway. so here it is.

piston ring.

chain.

motor tensioner.

spocket.

gear shaft head.

workmanship.

new engine oil.

the top of cap of the engine. screw lining need to be re-drawed. or sth like tat.

i guess tats probably it. he disassembled all of it anyway.

i guess the lesson here is that. IF u dun have frens who ride bikes n u just happen to be the 1st. SOURCE for MORE SHOP.

given this situation, 600bux for a full overhaul is reasonable..

here in PK thread i believe 2 highly recomended shops wld be AhKoon & Planet.

personally, im th ahkoon person.. he did an awesome job for my ride, a full overhaul which cost me 500++

big bore, new shaft, chain, gasket etc etc.. very nicely done & th speed is totally impressive..

you wont believe if i were to say..

learn from your lesson & not make th same mistake is th key.

take care of engine oil, change / top up regularly..

check EO lvl on a weekly basis wld be of good help..

stock up 1 bottle of spare EO at home jus incase EO runs low on a sunday or ph in conjunction with weekends..

not to forget, re-run-in your machine aftr overhaulin.

tkcare, ride safe. (:

black&white saves life.

enquire @ [email protected] | 94786'999

everyone is a noob once..

you learn as you grow, in th bike world sense..

topping up EO is simple, open th cap on th right of th crankcase, use th dipstick to check EO lvl, pour in EO if insufficient.

pour using a funnel, cone, kachiam-puteh, whtever tht wont make it leak..

& to add on,

you'r not being carrot.. 600 for a full overhaul is reasonable..

overhaulin is smthg a ride cant avoid, whn you get a 2nd hand machine..

unless th previous owner took awesome care of th bike & yourself did too..

my ride had been overhauled twice alr..

black&white saves life.

Hi there devil.L..thanks for replying. but where exactly is ah koon? have tried searching high n low in this webbie, even using the search but no result....

its located along lengkok bahru..

id be making a trip thr early nxt week probably monday or tuesday..

pm me if you wanna come tgt. (:

black&white saves life.

its located along lengkok bahru..

id be making a trip thr early nxt week probably monday or tuesday..

pm me if you wanna come tgt. (:

hi guys, i am new in phantom 200ta, i have a few problem and hope some of the lao jiao can help,

when i first got my phantom 2 months ago, my bike started to emmit white smoke on the 2 second day so i went back to my shop(a) n they rebore n a new piston FOC but sadly after 3 weeks my bike started to have a click click sound when its hot (ITS REALLY LOUD) so i went back to my shop(a) n they told me my TENSIONER is spoilt so i replaced it for 45 , its work good but oni for few days n the click came back so i went back n they told me that my timing chain is spoilt but i refuse to let them repair so i went to another shop(b) to change the timing chain $60, same too oni to last a few day then i went back to shop(b) n they say must change timing chain n tensioner together so i changed the tensioner $40 AGAIN!

yes , the sound is still there then shop© told me is my valve loose so he adjust it for me at $35 and click still there so now shop(d) say its my valve cam that is spoilt.. i know i should stick at 1 shop, i just wanna kinda 1 shop who know what the hell is really going on with the clicking sound..

so my question is , does the loud clicking sound reallt come from the valve cam?

does anyone have similer experience?

ThANKS SO MUCH FOR THE EFFORT

CHEERS

hi guys, i am new in phantom 200ta, i have a few problem and hope some of the lao jiao can help,

when i first got my phantom 2 months ago, my bike started to emmit white smoke on the 2 second day so i went back to my shop(a) n they rebore n a new piston FOC but sadly after 3 weeks my bike started to have a click click sound when its hot (ITS REALLY LOUD) so i went back to my shop(a) n they told me my TENSIONER is spoilt so i replaced it for 45 , its work good but oni for few days n the click came back so i went back n they told me that my timing chain is spoilt but i refuse to let them repair so i went to another shop(b) to change the timing chain $60, same too oni to last a few day then i went back to shop(b) n they say must change timing chain n tensioner together so i changed the tensioner $40 AGAIN!

yes , the sound is still there then shop© told me is my valve loose so he adjust it for me at $35 and click still there so now shop(d) say its my valve cam that is spoilt.. i know i should stick at 1 shop, i just wanna kinda 1 shop who know what the hell is really going on with the clicking sound..

so my question is , does the loud clicking sound reallt come from the valve cam?

does anyone have similer experience?

ThANKS SO MUCH FOR THE EFFORT

CHEERS

the parts you changed is overpriced IMO... could be a case for another chop carrot head...

i can only advice you to visit ah chong @ planet...

good luck.

Class 2B - 26/03/2009

Class 2A - 01/06/2010

Class 3 - 10/07/2009

Rides(s)

1) Honda TA150 - 20/04/2009 to 31/08/2014

2) Honda CB400 Ver S - 12/07/2014 to ???

the parts you changed is overpriced IMO... could be a case for another chop carrot head...

i can only advice you to visit ah chong @ planet...

good luck.

over charged.. sian, i still thought i got discount.. lolz..new in ta parts so bo bian la, lesson fee.. :)

over charged.. sian, i still thought i got discount.. lolz..new in ta parts so bo bian la, lesson fee.. :)

what's done cannot be undone. i will suggest you go seek ah chong for help in future...

Class 2B - 26/03/2009

Class 2A - 01/06/2010

Class 3 - 10/07/2009

Rides(s)

In any case, since now you're here at this forum, if you have doubts in the future, just ask first. so long as the bike can move, and not spewing black smoke out of exhaust, now try to ride home and ask. wait a day or two and check it out..

but again, there are a few motor shops which are quite okay....

Planet motors

Unique motors

Ah koon

for me, if urgent SPC at Upper thomson also quite okay.....

but generally if go to a shop fix one time not okay, fine... fix two times not okay... still maybe suay, if fix three times not okay best to find another shop....

"Wolves and sheep will live together in peace, and leopards will lie down with young goats, calves and lion cubs will feed together, and little children will take care of them. Cows and bears will eat together, and their calves and cubs will lie down in peace." Isaiah 11:6-8

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2010/9/8/17/be-an-optimist-prime-4756-1283979887-3.jpg

In any case, since now you're here at this forum, if you have doubts in the future, just ask first. so long as the bike can move, and not spewing black smoke out of exhaust, now try to ride home and ask. wait a day or two and check it out..

but again, there are a few motor shops which are quite okay....

Planet motors

Unique motors

Ah koon

for me, if urgent SPC at Upper thomson also quite okay.....

but generally if go to a shop fix one time not okay, fine... fix two times not okay... still maybe suay, if fix three times not okay best to find another shop....

okie thanks bro.. i will :) btw do u guys know how much it cost to change the cam?

cos i seriously believe its the cam which is spoilt.. but i scared later gana chop again.. i was quote 150 +/-

okie thanks bro.. i will :) btw do u guys know how much it cost to change the cam?

cos i seriously believe its the cam which is spoilt.. but i scared later gana chop again.. i was quote 150 +/-

seriously, just go find ah chong @ planet if you don want to get chop...

150 for just cam alone is madness, top overhaul for TA200 is just around $380, new piston, piston ring, cylinder wall/block sent for polishing, think new cams (this one i not sure), timing chain, gasket + maybe some other items...

TA200 owners who overhauled their engines will know better...

Class 2B - 26/03/2009

Class 2A - 01/06/2010

Class 3 - 10/07/2009

Rides(s)