SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Flip-Up Helmet

Shaiek

Dear All.

Good day to you.

I am looking for a new helmet as a replacement. Does anyone have any recommendation for a reasonable and affordable flip-up helmet? My budget is around SGD 200 +/-.

It would be a great help if you could also list out the shops that offer those recommended helmets.

I have only been using one helmet so far, which is the basic helmet I got when I first started learning to ride, so please pardon my question here.

Thank you in advance for all your kind assistance.

HJC IS-Max 2

http://www.kccyclehelmetworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/is-max-2.jpg

advertised at motorworld for $200 for graphic, $180 solid colours.

http://www.motoworld.com.sg/index.php?route=product/search&search=hjc%20is%20max%202

note that possibly not psb certified, but meets various international standards.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

Hi, raul7. Noted on your recommended Caberg Duke. However, the shop you mentioned have had unfavorable reviews. I'll drop by to have a look someday despite being a little worried. I trust HelmetBoys also carry this model as I did consider getting it before but I was told that practical lesson requires rider to have an open face helmet.

Hi, mechwira. Noted on your recommended HJC. However, I'll have to check on that PSB Certified. Even if it is just a sticker, it still does give some assurance. I will pay MotorWord a visit soon to confirm.

Anyway, what is your insight on Ozi 66? It was touted as a budget Flip Up Helmet with a better quality, even to Caberg Duke.

Have a nice day ahead.

Hi, mechwira. Noted on your recommended HJC. However, I'll have to check on that PSB Certified. Even if it is just a sticker, it still does give some assurance. I will pay MotorWord a visit soon to confirm.

i'm just going to share my opinion.

when i buy my helmets, i check for international certifications like ECE and SNELL, and i will buy and wear helmets with such certification even without PSB because i consider those standards and testing superior to PSB.

i am NOT however part of the anti-PSB brigade. i believe PSB certification is absolutely necessary in general specifically for generic cheap helmets bought and worn by a large segment of bikers. my own father will always buy and wear the cheapest open face he can buy, and luckily he makes sure there is PSB if only to avoid TP summons and not for safety. at least i feel better knowing the helmet on his head has gone thru some kind of testing. for this reason alone i will never argue against PSB certification.

but my belief will always be that ECE, SNELL and other similar standards are superior and i will pick those over PSB anytime. you are entitled to your opinion of course, but the universal agreement should always be, wear a helmet that has at least gone thru some kind of credible testing.

• Like 1

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

As long as your helmet has PSB approved sticker, the riding centers will allow you to use it. Of course, they will always prefer you to use open faced helmet as the field of view is better, and it's not as stifling. I wore my fullface helmet once because i forgot to bring my open face, and the instructors at BBDC were fine with it, but of course, my helmet lining was soaked after the lesson.

Regina and LAB are the same, if you never do your due diligence and research, you will of course get ripped off. If you're buying stuff from them, you NEED to bargain for lower price.

RIDE.

2012 - 2015: Honda NSR150SP

2015 - current : Honda CBR600RR

As long as your helmet has PSB approved sticker, the riding centers will allow you to use it. Of course, they will always prefer you to use open faced helmet as the field of view is better, and it's not as stifling. I wore my fullface helmet once because i forgot to bring my open face, and the instructors at BBDC were fine with it, but of course, my helmet lining was soaked after the lesson.

i assume this happened while you were taking either 2a or 2.

when i was taking 2b, we were told only open face allowed as instructors/testers specifically want to spot your eyes and where you are looking. this was no longer a concern on 2a and 2 because by then it was about your ability to control the bike through the obstacles.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all. I apologise for the lack of response due to my busy schedule.

Heathx, when I was taking my practical lesson back then, the instructor at Ubi insisted on an open-faced helmet. While they did mentioned about the sticker on the first day, they do not check on it thereafter. Anyway, I have yet to find the time to head down to either shops. Thanks for the heads up, nonetheless.

mechwira, I agree with you. For 2B lessons, the instructors are very strict with the learners. On higher grade, my lessons were rather relaxing.

Hi, Dai. Thank you for the recommendation. This has never came up when I was having conversation with other fellow riders. Most of them would say Caberg or HJC, which coincidentally, is of the same price.

Thank you all for the input. Ride safe always.

Keep in mind that insurance companies can refuse to pay out for any deaths, medical treatments, or permanent disabilities resulting from head trauma you suffered while wearing a non-PSB approved helmet. This, I feel, is the most vital reason for getting a PSB approved helmet, regardless of how much you may dislike it.

Hi, all. I apologise for the lack of response due to my busy schedule.

Heathx, when I was taking my practical lesson back then, the instructor at Ubi insisted on an open-faced helmet. While they did mentioned about the sticker on the first day, they do not check on it thereafter. Anyway, I have yet to find the time to head down to either shops. Thanks for the heads up, nonetheless.

mechwira, I agree with you. For 2B lessons, the instructors are very strict with the learners. On higher grade, my lessons were rather relaxing.

Hi, Dai. Thank you for the recommendation. This has never came up when I was having conversation with other fellow riders. Most of them would say Caberg or HJC, which coincidentally, is of the same price.

Thank you all for the input. Ride safe always.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Genuine HJC helmet passed international standard and the PSB sticker is unnecessary. They are more credible than mediocre PSB approved standard. Not a sales for motorworld BTW.

But for branded helmets like Arai, AGV, SHOEI, HJC, Kabuto people dont look at the PSB sticker, they are expected to be way way reliable than the $30 helmets with PSB sticker. Even though you are liable to get summon for choosing a helmet not endorsed by gahmen.

If you are going to survive a crash at 100kmh. The ARAI helmet(WITHOUT PSB) will be the more reliable than the $50 PSB Sticker helmet definitely.

17 Nov 2011 - April 2013, NSR150 SP

12 June 2013 - 23 Jan 2015, CBR400RRR

23 February 2015 - 29 February 2016, YZF R6 2006

12 March 2016 - 12 May 2017, CBR1000RR05

July 2017 - Jan 2019, YZF R1 2008/CBF150

Aug 2019 - Current SYM Joyride 200

• 2 months later...
Genuine HJC helmet passed international standard and the PSB sticker is unnecessary. They are more credible than mediocre PSB approved standard. Not a sales for motorworld BTW.

But for branded helmets like Arai, AGV, SHOEI, HJC, Kabuto people dont look at the PSB sticker, they are expected to be way way reliable than the $30 helmets with PSB sticker. Even though you are liable to get summon for choosing a helmet not endorsed by gahmen.

If you are going to survive a crash at 100kmh. The ARAI helmet(WITHOUT PSB) will be the more reliable than the $50 PSB Sticker helmet definitely.

I totally agreed!

PSB stickers is just another way for some organization to create jobs and generate income.

Honestly, why would an international standard certified be any lesser than PSB's safety test standards?

They should just allow DOT and Snell certified helmets be 'auto-approved' instead of requiring another PSB certification which translates to more cost to consumers

• 3 weeks later...
I totally agreed!

PSB stickers is just another way for some organization to create jobs and generate income.

Honestly, why would an international standard certified be any lesser than PSB's safety test standards?

They should just allow DOT and Snell certified helmets be 'auto-approved' instead of requiring another PSB certification which translates to more cost to consumers

LTA also know the helmet is made of quality material, but will kena stop or not?

• 1 year later...

In all my years of riding, I have never been nor seen TP spot check any rider unless she happened to be caught breaking the law(running a red-light, speeding, etc). Much less just to see if your Helmet has a PSB sticker.

Edited by neohkl_2000

• 9 months later...

A modular helmet is better, can change to full face or open face depending on situation. And better search on the internet if the visor is able to be easily remove so you can replace just the visor in the future if its in bad condition.

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2017 at 8:31 PM, Shaiek said:

Dear All.

Good day to you.

I am looking for a new helmet as a replacement. Does anyone have any recommendation for a reasonable and affordable flip-up helmet? My budget is around SGD 200 +/-.

It would be a great help if you could also list out the shops that offer those recommended helmets.

I have only been using one helmet so far, which is the basic helmet I got when I first started learning to ride, so please pardon my question here.

Thank you in advance for all your kind assistance.

Can check out the helmet guide blogpost

• Like 1