SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[General] Would you renew 10-year COE or buy a new bike?

globehart

Would you renew COE or buy a new bike?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Would you renew COE or buy a new bike?

• Renew 10-year COE
    • Renew 5-year COE
    • Scrap and buy new bike

Thank you for all your responses everyone...

Apologies for not responding earlier as I haven't had the chance to surf the net.

In any case, I've read all the responses before I made up my mind to renew my bike for 10-years on 20th February.

My personal reasons in doing so as follows:

1. The bike is still serving me well and really don't give me much problems (hopefully in future too!)

2. It's been my companion and I've gotten attached to it. (Especially when I was so down and out, it stood by me.)

3. On the practical side, I rather keep my excess $ for rainy days since the economy is not so good.

4. I don't foresee myself getting married at all and definitely no kids too. ;p

5. And even if I do get a Class 3 license, I can't afford a car also.

6. I managed to persuade my mum that buying a new bike is a waste of her $ and if she really wanna sponsor me, keep it for a car the next time...kekekekeke.

These were some of my thoughts and also with the replies from you guys, I made up my mind to renew 10-year.

The COE can be refunded in the event I don't wish to continue riding in future. Also, it really ain't much an amount to pay when it works out to less than $10 per month for 10 years.

And I know I have "someone" to turn to when I need advices about my TA150. That is people like you here!!!

Thank you once again everyone!!!

I have the same thought as you when contempletating on whether to renew COE for my bike with COE expire this September. You have made a right choice to save $ for rainy days. Too bad, my 9.5 years old bike is stolen and I have to get another 2nd hand bike.:dozed:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the same thought as you when contempletating on whether to renew COE for my bike with COE expire this September. You have made a right choice to save $ for rainy days. Too bad, my 9.5 years old bike is stolen and I have to get another 2nd hand bike.:dozed:

hi bro, sry to remind u of this, but i am really surprised that your phantom got stolen. I just bought a 2nd-hand phantom 150 last week, and was told by the bike shop owner that a bike like this is unlikely to be stolen, cos it ain't worth much. Hmm.

hi bro, sry to remind u of this, but i am really surprised that your phantom got stolen. I just bought a 2nd-hand phantom 150 last week, and was told by the bike shop owner that a bike like this is unlikely to be stolen, cos it ain't worth much. Hmm.

still, better to be safe than sorry... do lock up your bike and/or cover it

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/78/20/5760287/2_900727903l.jpg

yup i lock my handle bar always... cover it? hmmm.. vidak u cover de mehz?

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

yup i lock my handle bar always... cover it? hmmm.. vidak u cover de mehz?

I lock my bike with the biggest disc lock in the world and cover my bike when I park at home :cheeky:

but then... stupid cat like to sleep under my bike :cry:

Even locking and cover will not deter thieves. Phantom is light, very easy to load up a lorry.

Your best prevention would be to install an alarm. That way, if any movement (even cats) to the bike, the alarm should be a good enough deterrent.

my lock got a built-in alarm :smile:

haha.. you all like a bit off Topic lei...

lolx..anyway, for me, i think most likely would RENEW for another 10 years.

I bought my FV late previous year...

of coz got spend money coz Wear and tear.. However, to me still ok.. quite easy to maintain and last but least is the FC.. already very good. Wat else can i asked for? well, this is each to his own.

I bought for straight cash at 1.5k. no Liabilities to me now.. only Rd Tax and Insurance which is affordable to all of us which i can say..

RENEW! my dream is to own a CAR and a BIKE!..Wheww..

Cheers!

5 Oct 2005 - Jun 2007(SP) FS6059X

18 Jun 2007 - 26 Nov 2007 -> CBR400, L model problematic FJ532*S

26 Nov 2007 - 12 Nov 2011 -> TA200, FV2X2G

12 Nov 2011 - 12 Nov 2012 -> SYM GTS200, FZ99*0D

29 Nov 2012 - 13 July 2015 -> KIA Rio HB 1.4M, SFY*

13 Jul 2015 - 28 Apr 2018 -> Kia Cerato V2 SKT*

28 Apr 2018 till current -> Hyundai Elentra S_trim SLZ*

the coe of my phantom 150 expiring next year (Aug '10). I am thinking of renewing it. (Btw, i just bought the bike less than a mth ago, in Apr '09.)

Suppose i renew for 10 years, anyone thinks i can resell the bike along the way? Say I renew in Aug '10, but want to sell in 2012. U think ppl want to buy? Cos phantom 150 nearly worthless oredi rite?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. sorry to hijack this thread, but i was wondering, how do i know before buying a bike, that the bike is a few light years away fro being scraped or COe can still be renewed?

check the bike plate number...

then call LTA and enquire....

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118/z0obay/Vandamme.gif

My ta150 expire in 2010 jan. But now it is in the bike shop doing big operation, estimated to cost around 400 plus for a overhaul and change of piston and clutch plate. Not forgetting the 600+ overhaul done in early this year.

Although the mech say my block has injure jialat liao, but i still going on to renew. because it has been with my family for the whole nine year! Haha, maybe going for respray and do more mod the appearance.

I LOVE MY RIDE! hope you guys too.:D

My ta150 expire in 2010 jan. But now it is in the bike shop doing big operation, estimated to cost around 400 plus for a overhaul and change of piston and clutch plate. Not forgetting the 600+ overhaul done in early this year.

Although the mech say my block has injure jialat liao, but i still going on to renew. because it has been with my family for the whole nine year! Haha, maybe going for respray and do more mod the appearance.

wow.. i like tis..

staying faithfully to one..

uppsss!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

:angry:RiDe iF YoU dArE... lOwEr YoU gO... ThE mOrE KiCk yOu Got...BuT mY fOoTrEsT cHuI...o_O

Passed 2B - 18thMar09'

Phantom TA200 - FUxxxxK 24thMar09' to 18thJun11'

RoadWin R125 - FBC****M 23rdJun11'

what... overhaul twice in one year... omg... :sian:

My, you are hardcore! :thumb:

I have the best signature.

• 2 weeks later...
the coe of my phantom 150 expiring next year (Aug '10). I am thinking of renewing it. (Btw, i just bought the bike less than a mth ago, in Apr '09.)

Suppose i renew for 10 years, anyone thinks i can resell the bike along the way? Say I renew in Aug '10, but want to sell in 2012. U think ppl want to buy? Cos phantom 150 nearly worthless oredi rite?

contrary to wat i posted earlier of not renewing it.

1) my bike still in good condition, never breaks down over the last 10 yrs.

2) after I renew COE, going to sell it to someone who might benefit from it (since bike is still in good condition).

3) If no one buys it, can always scrap it, COE can refund in cash now, nothing to worry.

Hope my own reasons of renewing it answers your questions. Worthless or not, doesnt matter, COE can refund back (after minus what you've used up that is). So when ur bike up the lorry, jus go scrap it, else, if can sell off better also.

http://www.nutrition4u.sg/images/coaches/VicNette02.jpg

Contact me at 9858 6442 (madman) 9845 6442 (Babycakes)

Visit me at www.Fat2FitChallenge.com or add me in FB nutrition4u.sg

contrary to wat i posted earlier of not renewing it.

1) my bike still in good condition, never breaks down over the last 10 yrs.

2) after I renew COE, going to sell it to someone who might benefit from it (since bike is still in good condition).

3) If no one buys it, can always scrap it, COE can refund in cash now, nothing to worry.

Hope my own reasons of renewing it answers your questions. Worthless or not, doesnt matter, COE can refund back (after minus what you've used up that is). So when ur bike up the lorry, jus go scrap it, else, if can sell off better also.

hey, thanks for the opinion, dude. Most likely I will renew the coe. So far, the bike has served me well. So yeah, i will go for it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

just renew COE lah.

y?

1) for the next 10 yrs, pay Rd tax n insurance.

2) basically ride for free as only pay petrol n repair. (less than $200/month)

3) can sell off in term on COE value if not happy as basically T150/T200 got little body value for scaping after 10yrs

4) no need scare ppl steal ur bike compare to new one

5) can use as a alt. transport even after getting a car.

although my COE expiring in 2012 , i already thinking of renewing it lol,

If renew , will the roadtax and insurance price increase due to it being a super old bike?

12 Jun 2008 - Class 2B

28 Jun 2008 - Honda Phantom TA 200 (COE 11/3/17)

17 Jan 2009 - Class 3

27 Oct 2009 - Class 2A

28 May 2016 - Yamaha Fino 115 (COE 04/8/24)

9 June 2017 - Honda CB400 Spec 2 (COE 02/1/23)

hahahaha , ya 3 years is still long...

12 Jun 2008 - Class 2B

28 Jun 2008 - Honda Phantom TA 200 (COE 11/3/17)

17 Jan 2009 - Class 3

27 Oct 2009 - Class 2A

28 May 2016 - Yamaha Fino 115 (COE 04/8/24)

9 June 2017 - Honda CB400 Spec 2 (COE 02/1/23)

• 1 month later...
actually ta150 is a v good transport bike, consider that no one will disturb u, nobody will even bother a second look unless super zeng, and u wont feel kinda heart pain when thrash?

agreed, dude. I am currently on ta150. But the only problem is the higher fuel consumption. It's only about 25km/l. Haiz