SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[General] Would you renew 10-year COE or buy a new bike?

globehart

Would you renew COE or buy a new bike?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Would you renew COE or buy a new bike?

• Renew 10-year COE
    • Renew 5-year COE
    • Scrap and buy new bike

If no one buys it, can always scrap it, COE can refund in cash now, nothing to worry.

Hope my own reasons of renewing it answers your questions. Worthless or not, doesnt matter, COE can refund back (after minus what you've used up that is). So when ur bike up the lorry, jus go scrap it, else, if can sell off better also.

Hello, can i confirm two issues, cos got ppl tell me differently:

1) COE can refund back in cash?

2) If say i get another 10 yrs COE for my current bike. But 2 yrs later, i decided to go for another bike, with its own COE of maybe 5 years. So does that mean i can transfer the remaining 8 yrs COE from my first bike to the second bike? So second bike will hv total COE of 13 yrs?

paiseh, blur lah.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow..the idea is great....

no it doesnt work that way..coe not transferable.

haha... i see.

But confirmed can get a refund of the balanced COE in cash rite? I dunno, cos the bike shop auntie told me cannot get back cash siah. Now very confused.

Can I know if there's anywhere I can check the scrap value of a bike? I have an S4 Spec 1 COE expiring in June 10. By then hopefully I have passed my Class 2. I'm now debating whether or not to renew to sell the bike or to send to scrapyard.

Thanks for any advice!

(Edit - oops sorry didn't notice this is Phantom thread, I found this thread using the Search function...)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/382836949_9f10369d74.jpg

Can I know if there's anywhere I can check the scrap value of a bike? I have an S4 Spec 1 COE expiring in June 10. By then hopefully I have passed my Class 2. I'm now debating whether or not to renew to sell the bike or to send to scrapyard.

Thanks for any advice!

(Edit - oops sorry didn't notice this is Phantom thread, I found this thread using the Search function...)

10-30$ scrap value mate.

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

although my COE expiring in 2012 , i already thinking of renewing it lol,

If renew , will the roadtax and insurance price increase due to it being a super old bike?

u renew now oso nt say gt 13 years coe..

its still 10 frm the date the coe approve..

'bikes are your sweet poison. despite knowing it would kill, you would die just to have a taste of it. '

u renew now oso nt say gt 13 years coe..

its still 10 frm the date the coe approve..

lol maybe i never state properly...i am thinking of renewing it WHEN the COE expires...plan for the future , but then might also buy another 2nd/3rd hand of the newer phantom when the time comes...

12 Jun 2008 - Class 2B

28 Jun 2008 - Honda Phantom TA 200 (COE 11/3/17)

17 Jan 2009 - Class 3

27 Oct 2009 - Class 2A

28 May 2016 - Yamaha Fino 115 (COE 04/8/24)

9 June 2017 - Honda CB400 Spec 2 (COE 02/1/23)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

5 yearts half of 10 yeras..but vehicle has to bee scraped at the end of the 5th yaer..

10 years is renewable..

some recoomend renew for 10 years...after a few years done the road and the bike maintanence cost is too high just scrapped it and u can have refunds the balance of the COE..

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time:dot:

• 2 months later...

For those who are going to renew their COE soon , you can refer to this site for COE prices : http://www.oneshift.com/pdb/lcoe.php

i still waiting for it to drop to $500 region then faster renew already lol :cheeky:

12 Jun 2008 - Class 2B

28 Jun 2008 - Honda Phantom TA 200 (COE 11/3/17)

17 Jan 2009 - Class 3

27 Oct 2009 - Class 2A

28 May 2016 - Yamaha Fino 115 (COE 04/8/24)

9 June 2017 - Honda CB400 Spec 2 (COE 02/1/23)

• 4 weeks later...
If we are to renew COE then how much to we pay for 5 years and 10 years respectively? This is because the prices which i have found on ST701.com so far does not reflect the period, its just a price for that particular class of vehicle at time of bidding. Thanks

the price your are paying for a 5 year COE is half that of a 10 year COE. simple as that. prices reflected are for 10 year COE.

Class 2B - 26/03/2009

Class 2A - 01/06/2010

Class 3 - 10/07/2009

Rides(s)

1) Honda TA150 - 20/04/2009 to 31/08/2014

2) Honda CB400 Ver S - 12/07/2014 to ???

you are encourage to renew 10years. if u scrap, they will refund the balance Coe to u..

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

damn... nid to wait again... haiz... coe expire soon... if coe continue to b 1k i think i better off changing bike leh... sad...

Ex bikes ~ Yamaha X1, Honda Phantom TA150

Bajaj Pulsar 200 ~~~ 14/09/11 - ???

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1871/dsc0087zjc.jpg

Blue Pulsar with Orange sprocket.. Cool???

you are encourage to renew 10years. if u scrap, they will refund the balance Coe to u..

you may not know....renew vehicle have no parf value....

i dun think there is refund of balance coe

From Honda's Phantom to ..................

Clearing each stage at SSDC and BBDC for bike license was fun !!!

Hello, can i confirm two issues, cos got ppl tell me differently:

2) If say i get another 10 yrs COE for my current bike. But 2 yrs later, i decided to go for another bike, with its own COE of maybe 5 years. So does that mean i can transfer the remaining 8 yrs COE from my first bike to the second bike? So second bike will hv total COE of 13 yrs?

paiseh, blur lah.

no such thing as u mentioned above... as in 1+1=2

From Honda's Phantom to ..................

Clearing each stage at SSDC and BBDC for bike license was fun !!!

• 2 weeks later...

For many reasons I was forced to get rid of my 8 yr old 125Z, chiefly being impending overhaul needed and replacement of basically everything. Mototiam people can tell me things like "wah, run until clothes all fall off" in Mandarin!

So I had a look around for available new or quality 2nd hand bikes.

Yamaha 135? Too common.

Wave? Too common.

Pulsar? I'm not free to go down to mototiam for repairs every 2 days.

Bajaj Avenger? Lovely design, but too rare to be practical.

Hyosung Comet? too rare also.

Suddenly I had inspiration....

PHANTOM!

I was poking around the internet for used TA200s but none were available immediately despite the promise of low prices.

But I chanced upon my fav. mototiam in the process of overhauling a FX plate TA200, which more or less means I have the chance to take over a "completely rebuilt" instead of "used" Phantom at 1/3 the cost of a brand new bike.

COE until 2013 - and fully intend to renew & keep.

• 1 month later...

from a practical point of view, i think phantom is perfect for commuting in Singapore - reliable, cheap to maintain/repair, good FC, not so fast that it will shorten your life expectancy ... after doing some calculation, the average cost of having a TA200. inclusive of insurance, maintenance, road tax, petrol blah blah, is abt S$130/month. this dirt cheap cost is unbeatable for the convenience and time saving i enjoy.

most likely i will buy a big bike in future, but the TA200 is here to stay with a renewed 10yr COE. sometimes it is not abt the money --- Phantom TA200 only burns half the amount of petrol a big bike consumes and still get you from A to B. by riding a smaller bike for commuting, at least we help to reduce unnecessary CO2 emission. Of course, i will ride a big bike for long trip lah.

Well said mate!

With the good acceptance of such little cruisers in the market it seems strange that no other manufacturer is copying the concept. Well there is the Kawasaki Boss 175 in Thailand, and the Bajaj Avenger 180 but they are practically nonexistant in Singapore despite being superior in some ways to the TA.

There -are- Daelim cruisers but......... 125cc on a cruiser-weight body? Not good.

With TA150s being so cheap and almost going to the scrapyard/COE expiring it seems tempting to get one just for the fun of it, renew the COE and DIY restore her as a hobby bike... that hopefully can regain the 170kph top speed again.

PHANTOM!

I was poking around the internet for used TA200s but none were available immediately despite the promise of low prices.

But I chanced upon my fav. mototiam in the process of overhauling a FX plate TA200, which more or less means I have the chance to take over a "completely rebuilt" instead of "used" Phantom at 1/3 the cost of a brand new bike.

COE until 2013 - and fully intend to renew & keep.

Can share what parts did u change to get the "completely rebuilt" phantom & how much did it cost u for the bike and the rebuilding?

Liverpool revival has started....

OMG...TA150 can reach 170km/h?!! who has the balls to chiong at tt speed arh?

Well said mate!

With the good acceptance of such little cruisers in the market it seems strange that no other manufacturer is copying the concept. Well there is the Kawasaki Boss 175 in Thailand, and the Bajaj Avenger 180 but they are practically nonexistant in Singapore despite being superior in some ways to the TA.

There -are- Daelim cruisers but......... 125cc on a cruiser-weight body? Not good.

With TA150s being so cheap and almost going to the scrapyard/COE expiring it seems tempting to get one just for the fun of it, renew the COE and DIY restore her as a hobby bike... that hopefully can regain the 170kph top speed again.

I was plodding along happily on lane 2 at 85 indicated on the PIE taking the long way home to Woodlands (Hate the jams on CTE & BKE).

Suddenly a TA150 with no lights silently swooped past at what must be 140 indicated. Envy!

Uncles on their 200s are no slouch either. I bet with smaller rear sprocket my 200 can have quite long legs indeed.

Can share what parts did u change to get the "completely rebuilt" phantom & how much did it cost u for the bike and the rebuilding?

Wasn't my calling - I was getting rid of my old, warped and broken Y125Z and at my usual shop I specifically asked for a TA200. There was some loud hagging for a minute then they offered to let me see their one and only Phantom later that afternoon. I told them I was dead serious and intended to trade in & downpayment "by today".

When I went there I couldn't find a Phantom. There were none :p

Then I noticed a pair of Phantom tyres, a frame, and some assorted parts scattered in a corner. The boss of the shop was quite serious about the Phantom and said "if you want I'll do it up for you" and I said fine, why not, just make a few cosmetic changes for me and get rid of the damned rust.

3 weeks later I have still no idea what was changed, getting new surprises everyday (just discovered it came with an expensive aftermarked oiled cotton filter and what must be custom short gearing) but it runs like new and I can't be bothered to really find out what's going on.

The engine is just divine, after changing to Motul 3000 oil.

Total damage including transfer, insurance, and the panniers was 3.2k.

I wouldn't pay that much for a secondhand bike rotting away in the shop but this was special in that the shop had to rebuild the TA from scratch and they know I get very pissed if I notice any mechanical problems or sloppy work (was their customer for 6 years).

Rechroming took over 2 weeks however. But worth the wait I guess.