SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Lube your chain

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by Swakoo@Aug 15 2004, 01:09 AM

i now using engine degreaser... :)

some degreaser doesnt seem to cut it. diesel is cheaper, smelly...but works liao.

I DON'T KNOW THE KEY TO SUCCESS, BUT THE KEY TO FAILURE IS TRYING TO PLEASE EVERYBODY

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Exhaus-tion/got_to_keep_my_feet_on_the_ground/ff.gif

<u>BUY MATTRESS FREE HANDPHONE</u>

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by CivicR@Sep 27 2004, 01:19 AM

Is it necessary to grease the chain after washing the bike?

Yes, it's always good to lube the chain after washing your bike. Best is if you go for a short ride to warm the chain 1st.

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

From a trusted & experienced mechanic (not me).

The best way to care for the chain is first to get a dry brush (paint brush about 1" width) and brush away the dirt and sand - keep that brush for this purpose.

Next, use another brush (same specs as above) with lubricating oil applied, especially SAE 80/90 (specs) and apply on chain while rotating the rear wheel. Applying a thin layer of oil will do and apply as often as you ride - using the yardstick of, often = once a week. Once every 2 weeks should be just fine.

Using graphite based dark lubricant (commonly sold) is bad for your chain in the long run. You'll hear cranky sounds from your chain sooner. :goodluck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/skovan/sbfa.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Today while I was washing my bike those commerical grease from motorshop have splate all over and made a mess, so sianz.. Feel like degreasing them and grease it all over again without those that doesn't create much mess. The dirt on the road doesn't help either.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/719/my1sthondamatchez0.jpg

is it okay to use WD40 to spray to remove the grease and dirt on the chains before applying lub?

some of my frens said that it's the easiest way, but yet, it risks rusting. mechanics have different opinions on it.

:sweat:

"do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some say it's good for cleaning, some say it spoils the O-rings on the chain.

Take your pick!

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

Originally posted by william_liu@Nov 9 2004, 01:39 PM

Some say it's good for cleaning, some say it spoils the O-rings on the chain.

Take your pick!

can't take any pick, cos actually its both.

its good for cleaning but it spoils ur o-ring.

ur chain, ur choice.

War is Peace.

Freedom is Slavery.

Ignorance is Strength.

Eh... okie, the correct statement should be:

"Some say it will not harm, some say it will, take your pick!"

:sweat:

Originally posted by CivicR@Oct 7 2004, 12:00 AM

anyone heard of plutino... someting of that name? Its a kinda spray on type of grease.

its Putoline. the spray kind u referring to releases foam which after a few mins settles to a sticky clear grease. the " O-ring " type commonly seen ard for sale flings ( my opinion ). so if yur rear rim or swingarm is not black, its hallelujah :lol:

Originally posted by furbykong@Nov 12 2004, 04:45 PM

its Putoline. the spray kind u referring to releases foam which after a few mins settles to a sticky clear grease. the " O-ring " type commonly seen ard for sale flings ( my opinion ). so if yur rear rim or swingarm is not black, its hallelujah :lol:

yar. used PJ1 and it flings like nodody's business.... :sian: even after d recommended settling it overnite...same thing! bruff one!! :mad:

den switched to castrol chain wax,gud no flings but mech said not gud for chain as in the long run it'll harden n become like stone... :giddy:

so any1 noes of a good 'oil' based lube?

I DON'T KNOW THE KEY TO SUCCESS, BUT THE KEY TO FAILURE IS TRYING TO PLEASE EVERYBODY

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Exhaus-tion/got_to_keep_my_feet_on_the_ground/ff.gif

<u>BUY MATTRESS FREE HANDPHONE</u>

Originally posted by enHANZed@Nov 12 2004, 08:49 PM

engine oil ? i will try tat the next lube

good, cheap but it flings. so got to live with dirty rims :cheeky:

also needs to lube regularly if using engine oil cos it flings off, approx 200 ~ 250 km (ie. every petrol top up)

War is Peace.

Freedom is Slavery.

Ignorance is Strength.

I'm using the white lithium grease... its a kinda spray on greease. No fligs at all! But it seems that its not really suitable for bike. u need to constantly lube it.. and i dunno the effect of it on o-rings also...

But overall, oily and no flings. oh ya, did i mention its only $6?

http://picturesky.com/albums/userpics/10715/obliquityresize.jpg

IBA member #25267

• 1 month later...

can use WD-40 to clean X-ring

2003 - 2004 -->TA200 -- FW9**8Y

2004 - 2005 --> Rvf -- FQ****R

2005 - 2006 --> Cbr 954 -- Fw 3**6 B

2006 - 2007 --> Cbr 954 , Wave , Vios '07

2007 - Now --> Vios '07

If U CaN't CaTcH Up WiF Mi PlS StAy BeHiNd N EnJoY ThE ViEw

http://img24.exs.cx/img24/7070/rvfgroup5cy.jpg

Originally posted by Xiao_Di@Jan 9 2005, 11:29 PM

can use WD-40 to clean X-ring

use diesel with water in a spray bottle (those cleaning glass solution bottles)....

buy 300ml-500ml can use for very very long.....less than 60cents

use it to clean the solid rims of the rear tire of phantom too....the black slug can come off....i mix with some detergent for this too.

use for phantom n super4 for the past 1 1/2 years no problem...

else can get kerosene as its mentioned in the forum that some bike manuals recommend that...

mhh guys im using a X ring. im plan to use similar wd40 product (anti rust degreasr spray or sumthing) to clean . then use soapy water to wash. last then i lub with castrol chain spray. then stay overnite . is this method reccomanded ?

'R6' RedlineRocketRedesignRazor sharpRevolutionaryReward 6.

http://content.wicms.com/shared/images/YAMAHA_Common_Images/Logos/yamaha_logo_red.gif