SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Ways to access files from XP on Vista

cyrusv

Hi guys, my laptop just went KAPUT...... i removed the harddisk and connected it to my desktop using a external enclosure. I can detect both my partition (C & D) but the files I want to access in my system partition is constantly giving me a security prompt that says i have no permission to view the folder. Can anyone tell me what to do? is there another way for me to get the files out of the partition?? Thanks alot

Y125z : FY2**6Y - 7th Nov 2009

CBR150R: FW****R - 5th Mar 2011

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need to "give yourself permission" to access the folder. This works on individual files placed elsewhere too.

To do this:

1. Right click on the folder and select "Properties"

2. Click on the "Security" tab

3. Click the "Advanced" button at the bottom. This opens an "Advanced Security Settings" window.

4. Click on the "Owner" tab

5. Click on the "Edit..." button.

6. Under "Change Owner To", select your username.

7. Click on OK on all dialog boxes, close everything, and go back to where the affected folder is.

8. Right click on the folder.

9. Go to the "Security" tab again.

10. Click on "Advanced". This opens an "Advanced Security Settings" window.

11. Click on "Edit..."

12. Click "Add..."

13. In the "Select user, computer, or group" box, either:

a) Type in your Username if you know what it is, or

b) Click the "Advanced..." button, and click "Find Now". This lists all the Usernames on the computer. Select your username from that list and click on "OK"

14. The "Permission Entry for " appears. In this box, grant yourself access to this folder by placing a tick next to "Allow/Full Control."

Warning: Do not place a tick next to "Deny/Full Control". This change may cause you to lose all access to the folder.

15. Back at the "Advanced Security Settings" window, place a tick mark next to "Replace all existing inheritable permissions on all descendants with inheritable permissions from this object"

16. Click on "OK" for the remaining dialog boxes.

17. If you are applying these steps onto a folder, go ahead and access the folder. Can you go in?

Hope this helps.

Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum

Biker nerd • Windows • Apple Mac • Android user

"Kick up your sidestand bro, let's ride..."