SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Product : Tyre Review

Guest ZZR-Pilot

Guest ZZR-Pilot
Forget about MEZ1, think those selling at super low prices are H rated, not sure if theres any Z rated....will let u know if theres any.

Oh...MEZ is a yester year tire with obselete technology, they are fresh though..the latest shipment aer mfg in '01

Metzeler ME-Z1 comes in three flavours: H, Z & Race (even softer compound.. but this one I think production discontinued already). They are early 90's design. Later superceded by ME-Z3, the main difference is that ME-Z3 uses steel belting in both front & rear whereas ME-Z1 has that feature for the rear only. Then the M-1 Sportec & Rennsport came up...

Yes, Metzeler still makes ME-Z1s... which is quite strange. I had them fitted because they were the next cheapest after BT-010s which were out of stock the day my tyres went bald.

My only criticism is that ME-Z1's price sure as hell doesn't reflect its age. For such a decidedly old design, ME-Z1's price doesn't go any lower than the newer and better BT-010. It really should've been priced right at the bottom of the sports tyre pile.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest StreetFighter63

Some shops still sell BT96. Must go around and ask lah .. maybe LAB still have..

P/S:ZZR-Pilot.... IF u got so much money to by knee slider ... then go ahead lor ... sliders are not cheap.

Guest StreetFighter63

I dun think so .... TRy and press the tire with ur nails lah .. if still soft .. then ok .. if hard already .. then dun buy .. normally if the tire haven't been used at all .. it can last longer on the shelf .. if used already .. then the compound spoil faster on the shelf.

150 70/17

150 means the profile of the tire

70 is the [highlight=yellow]ratio aspect[/highlight] meaning 70% of 150

17 simply means 17" rim

Meaning what? What is 70% of 150? :?

that means the sidewall's height is 70% of 150mm.

So how does that affect performance?

So how does that affect performance?

higher sidewalls means higher chances of it flexing during corners. Racers like it low, for stability during corners. Tourers like it high, for comfort during straights.

il4, correct me if i'm wrong.

Your best friend in forum :: Search ::

Guest ZZR-Pilot
P/S:ZZR-Pilot.... IF u got so much money to by knee slider ... then go ahead lor ... sliders are not cheap.

Err.. go ahead & do what? Did I miss something? :?

Kneesliders can be had for RM140 a pair. That's under S$70. There's nothing hi-tech about them to justify forking out megabucks to buy a pair. Unless kiasu enough to want big brand names & metal ones that spark, IMHO they're not that expensive and they sure last quite a while. :p

guy .. sorry to interup..my bro riding cb900 and got skidded last week ... on the fast lane .. he is using bt010 kinda new tyres... luckly he didnt fall... so do u guys recomment to change the tyres or?.... this kinda of thing won't happen again?..wat tyre u guys recommend ?..

Will I be ALIVE tomorrow,

____I don\'t know______

If u got the spare cash u can try changin to metzeler M1 its a new model cost abt $400+ for a full set

********************************************************************************

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/godsendworx/mesh/supporters/Pizzaboy_Siggy.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________

www.pizzahut.com.sg

Guest ZZR-Pilot
guy .. sorry to interup..my bro riding cb900 and got skidded last week ... on the fast lane .. he is using bt010 kinda new tyres... luckly he didnt fall... so do u guys recomment to change the tyres or?.... this kinda of thing won't happen again?..wat tyre u guys recommend ?..

Thrashing freshly fitted tyres is a very silly thing to do. You've got to scrub them in first to get that slippery protective wax-like coating off.

Do a small burn-out after fitting to clear the center of the rear, then ride normally but carefully for the next 150km or so to scrub in the rest of both tyres. Avoid full lean, sudden acceleration, hard braking & other heroics until after 200km to be safe. After that, thrash at will. :D

for 2A and 2B sportbikes... i believe its DUNLOP GPR70 a pair below $350?

as for class2 sportsbikes... Pirellis Supercorsa SC2... tried tested and proven... both on Pasir Gudang, and Sepang, on a 750 and a 1000.. and also been to thailand in the dry, and 600km in the wet back!!! u want the truth? so far its never given me any scary moments... feels confident even in the wet... and also stable at 290kmh plus... best to get at Sporting moto.. coz i always get mine there... hehehe

as for Rennsport by MEtzler.. its the same compound.. as the pirellis.. just different cut for the water to disperse.. and best to get it from Motor Sales Ctr ubi..

i sound like i'm advertising... hahahah but this is what i tried.. anyway the BT010 that came with my gsxr.. was abit worrisome in the track and after 5-6 laps... u get lesser and lesser traction at the rear.. and may start sliding around.. on the road is ok... unless u ride it hard like in the track.. then u will notice the same problems... still prefer the pirellis to the bt010s...

its time for a change!

New attraction coming soon!

Question: Is it ok to get tyres narrower/wider than stock? On the same rims?

I'm asking this because I saw these 2 SP riders in front of me at the stopped at the traffic light. You could see that one of them had a much wider rear than the other...

Wider tyre = retarded acceleration, better cornering?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g85/highon2stroke/LINKS/svdubanner.jpg

Question: Is it ok to get tyres narrower/wider than stock? On the same rims?

I'm asking this because I saw these 2 SP riders in front of me at the stopped at the traffic light. You could see that one of them had a much wider rear than the other...

Wider tyre = retarded acceleration, better cornering?

one of them using 120/80/17, the other probably 110/70/17.

wider tyre does not means better cornering.

its a very common misception.

but smaller tyre does show faster pick-up.

---------A LIFE IN THE FAST LANE! ------->

2002-2004 Honda NSR150SP

2004-2010 Bicycle

2013-2015 KTM Duke 390

2015 >>> Honda CBR600RR

Why does a wider tyre not mean more stable cornering? Won't a wider contact patch provide better traction in corners? What good would a wide tyre be on a SP then?

A wider tyre doesnt mean a wider patch. The contact patch will still be the same, unless u are referring to a deflated one (which is very prone to hydroplaning anyway).

Your best friend in forum :: Search ::

Is there any expiry date indication on tires?

Expiry date i dun tink so, but manufacturin date yes there is

********************************************************************************

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/godsendworx/mesh/supporters/Pizzaboy_Siggy.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________

www.pizzahut.com.sg

Why does a wider tyre not mean more stable cornering? Won't a wider contact patch provide better traction in corners? What good would a wide tyre be on a SP then?

I draw a very simple illustration to make clear to you WHY a when u squeeze in a wider tire will not results in more contact patch.

Take NSR150SP for example,

The rear rim is 3 inch wide. the idea profile to fit in is 120. Hence u get a triangular shape.

If u attempt to fit anything wider the 120, say a 140. The tire will adopt a less triangle profile and by squeezing them into a 3" wide rim, you are actually making the tire adopting a very FLAT profile....try drawing out a tire which is flat on top, then imagine is u lean the bike at an angle, is there less or more contact patch?

BEAUTIFUL!

---------A LIFE IN THE FAST LANE! ------->

2002-2004 Honda NSR150SP

2004-2010 Bicycle

2013-2015 KTM Duke 390

2015 >>> Honda CBR600RR

I draw a very simple illustration to make clear to you WHY when u squeeze in a wider tire, it will not results in more contact patch.

Take NSR150SP for example,

The rear rim is 3 inch wide. the idea profile to fit in is 120. Hence u get a triangular shape.

If u attempt to fit anything wider then 120, say a 140. The tire will adopt a less triangle profile and by squeezing them into a 3" wide rim, you are actually making the tire adopting a very FLAT profile....try drawing out a tire which is flat on top, then imagine that u lean the bike at an angle, is there more or less contact patch?

I see... thanks, does make more sense to me now. :bounce:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g85/highon2stroke/LINKS/svdubanner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ZZR-Pilot
Is there a big difference between mez1 and gpr? :smile:

Difference? Err... the price? I think the Dunlop GPRs are created specially for 400cc & below. The GPR70 I think is HR rated. Not too sure about the 80 one.

ME-Z1 is intended for 600cc & up but it'll also fit 400cc bikes. Said to share the same compound as the early Pirelli Dragons. Comes in 3 versions - the HR rated one, ZR rated one and Racing. Old tyre, but still pricey. I think production has all but ceased except for the ZR version.

Performance wise, I dunno. I'm not familiar with Dunlops. But I reckon you'll only feel the difference if you ride damn hard. Otherwise, it's the price difference that'll matter the most. :p