SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

How much must you roughly set aside monthly to maintain an Evo 9?

potong_pasirian

Hi guys!

As a brand new Evo X is rather expensive, I might consider getting a 2nd hand Evo 9 in the future (some Evo 9s cost only 60 to 70K as listed online). Question is: How much must you set aside monthly for Petrol, Engine Oil, servicing, season parking, ERP, etc?

Have never owned a car before, just a bike owner here, so I'm not sure how much it cost to maintain an Evo. Is it possible to own an Evo 9 if you have a $2K plus salary? Or is a 2nd hand Civic Type R (4 Door) more within the budget for this salary?

Thanks fellas! :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer can be Yes n No. (alot of terms n condition applies)

While i got a qns if/example ur currently salary u are earning $800 per mth can u maintain ur current normal lifestyle?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h10/WesT_Spec-1/DSC00090-1.jpghttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h10/WesT_Spec-1/WESTSPEC.jpg

The Light Began to dim.. Music Fading out.. I Begin to Miss You

......................The Visual Cycle..........................

$2+k salary abit hard leh bro. take home only how much less than $2k. r u married with family wife and kids to feed? do u need to support parents and house etc etc .....R u aware Insurance alone already can kill u ! prepare at least $5K or more. Maintenance of the car is not killer, normal oil change, filter etc ...Evo drinks petrol ...can u tahan..the killer is wear & tear, replacement can be costly !

If u die die wanna change car, pls consider hard enough. In singapore, owning a car is a lifestyle, everywhere need to pay, parking, erp not cheap nowadays season parking at home already $70-90/mth.

A car is suppose to give u convenience and some fun ( performance car ). Do not let it become your BURDEN !!!

KAWASAKI KIPS F* XX *

KAWASAKI ZX-10R FY3946Z (26 Oct 07 - 23 Jan 10)

YAMAHA RD350LC FS4160Z

1996 Honda Civic SiR EK4

1993 Honda Civic Vti EG6 SBZ2065P 1993 Honda Civic Vti EG9 SBX9073E 2002 MB E200 SDT6931X

1991 MB 200E SBT2703M

1986 MB 280SE EZ8138M 1992 Toyota Cressida SBU1756L

1992 MB 280SE SBU6143Y

http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006/05/16/bikepics-589321-full.jpg

lets say u pay full cash so noneed to worry abt installment. other expenses for such cars will include

- ~$500 for petrol per mth (est 5 tank)

- ~$300 for parking per mth (season parking for home & office plus weekend shopping)

- >5yr old cars u will expect abit of wear & tear like tire ~$1,500 (for 18"), radiator >$800, brake pads >$300, rotor >$1.5K,coil over ~$2000, oil leak, air leak, belt change ect ect

- Servicing $150~ $1000 5-6 times yearly

- $3000 ~ $5000 for insurance

- manore nor

1991-Katana125 1992-GN125 1993-Terminator250 1995-Intruder400 1996-ZX-7RRP1 & Charade1L 1996-Vulcan800 1998-Accent1.5L 2001-CorollaXLI 2002-TDM900 2005-Phamton150 2006-FJR1300 2007-KLE500 & WRX JDM 2010-Spark135 & Legacy GT 2012-Focus SW & Sylphy 2015-V Strom 650XT & D Tracker, 2016-Cross Country & RS4 125, 2017-Moto Guzzi V7ii Stone

Wah! The cost for maintaining an Evo is really steep! No la, I'm thinking that even after getting an Evo, I'll still ride my bike to work on weekdays. The Evo shall be reserved for transporting the family for outings during the weekends and for driving to work on rainy days (I will be getting a regular plate car, not a Red-plated one). This way, I'll be saving quite a lot on Petrol, ERP and parking costs. If got extra cash, might go for track sessions at Sepang or PG. Pity we don't have those Mountain Passes (eg: Mt. Akina, Mt. Akagi) like those in Japan, if not can save $ on track fees, just go race there! (Just kidding!) =p

Anyway, thanks for your replies guys! :)

Bro, u must be damn rich! buy a car that depreciate ~$1000/mth just to drive on weekends :thumb:

1991-Katana125 1992-GN125 1993-Terminator250 1995-Intruder400 1996-ZX-7RRP1 & Charade1L 1996-Vulcan800 1998-Accent1.5L 2001-CorollaXLI 2002-TDM900 2005-Phamton150 2006-FJR1300 2007-KLE500 & WRX JDM 2010-Spark135 & Legacy GT 2012-Focus SW & Sylphy 2015-V Strom 650XT & D Tracker, 2016-Cross Country & RS4 125, 2017-Moto Guzzi V7ii Stone

u're intention is just like mine 3years back....buying a normal plate car for transporting family or going to work when it's raining....the rest of the time its me and my bike...

If u think u can afford it especially if u're thinking of EVO, then by all means....personally, having the option of both car and bike is great.

1993-Yamaha LC, TZR

1994-Licence Revoke

1995- Honda MBX, RXZ

1996- Vespa

1997- RXK, TZM

2002- Phantom 200

2008- Toyota Axio(Car)

2009- Toyota Axio(Car) & S4 Vtec 2

2010(current)- Fazer FZ1N & Toyota Axio(Car)

Bro, u must be damn rich! buy a car that depreciate ~$1000/mth just to drive on weekends :thumb:

I second tht..

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h10/WesT_Spec-1/DSC00090-1.jpghttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h10/WesT_Spec-1/WESTSPEC.jpg

The Light Began to dim.. Music Fading out.. I Begin to Miss You

......................The Visual Cycle..........................

adivce is not to buy an evo, sure suffer. if u like sports car, u may consider other smaller cc car like kia koup honda fit etc.. good enuff to drive ur family out during weekend. good petrol, simple maintanance and u can get a much younger car with that budget

Find a job you like and you will never work one day in your life. - Ryan

Hi guys!

As a brand new Evo X is rather expensive, I might consider getting a 2nd hand Evo 9 in the future (some Evo 9s cost only 60 to 70K as listed online). Question is: How much must you set aside monthly for Petrol, Engine Oil, servicing, season parking, ERP, etc?

Have never owned a car before, just a bike owner here, so I'm not sure how much it cost to maintain an Evo. Is it possible to own an Evo 9 if you have a $2K plus salary? Or is a 2nd hand Civic Type R (4 Door) more within the budget for this salary?

Hello, just to add in some inputs. I did do car sales for a time being, so it might help to establish some credentials.

Okay, first up, $2k plus, for comparison sake, I'm going to use 2.5k as gross and take home 2k.

I will be only basing upon your Petrol, EO, Servicing, Season, ERP, Coupons, Misc (Including Summons and others). Also assuming you drive 3 times a week of 80km/trip.

12 times a month. 960km/month and that 2k is all yours to spend.

Car will be an Evo 9 GSR (RRP 70k)

Not advised.

Even if you full payment the car, the best estimates calculated are:

96l of petrol - $192 (1 liter 10km 96l - 960km, 1l $2)

Season parking open - $60

Cash card - $120 (If you drive to work and considering you're not going to buy season parking, if you park at e.g. suntec from 9-6, it'll easily cost you $20-30/day, assuming you drive one week day park full, and week end park 2-3 hours)

Coupon - $30 ($10/ booklet, 50cents, 1 dollar, 2 dollar, playing hide and seek with cisco)

Misc - $100 (If no summon, put aside for maintenance)

Servicing/EO - Because you drive little, it is quite safe to assume you can do a yearly service, instead of bi-yearly, servicing have different packages but a general one including EO + Coolant may cost $120- 250, varying on product usage. Because of your small usage, I will negate this cost.

Other things you should take note:

Insurance - 23yo with 2 years driving experience around 1.8 - 2.1k

Road tax - Evo 9 GSR 2 liter costs 1208/year

Total costs for car: $442

Plus saving on monthly basis for Insurance and RT (Assume $250/mth cost)

Total predicted cost = $692/ mth

Hence not advised, + your bike stuff is more than a percentage of your income.

Ideally a transport should not take up guideline is 1/4 of your income, (in your case, $500). For my side I advocate 1/6 - 1/8. Meaning you are putting yourself at a great financial risk should you go ahead, because plus your bike, it will be pushing 40-50% of your income.

So i'm sorry, right now, I don't think that its in the best interest of yours to get a car, as even if you could pay it fully and per month, your long term financial position will inevitably be affected.

To your second question, to be honest, at your budget, I would advocate something along the line of a Vios 1.5E (2nd hand), if any at all.

I don't mean this with any intent other than to put in my pov.

Edited by Icomeforyou

"Wolves and sheep will live together in peace, and leopards will lie down with young goats, calves and lion cubs will feed together, and little children will take care of them. Cows and bears will eat together, and their calves and cubs will lie down in peace." Isaiah 11:6-8

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2010/9/8/17/be-an-optimist-prime-4756-1283979887-3.jpg

Hi guys!

I consider you make $30k gross annually. After CPF deductions, you should have about $24k net pay annually. With 24K annually, you can own a car but you have to scrape by every month on food and other expenditures. I will advise you to refrain from a car. If you don't need a car then don't get it. You are not financially ready yet. There are many things in life worth investing in with your hard earned money. For example your education and insurance policies. Or even shares. Not on a car please.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/arakyo/16012011003.jpg

Do Not Tailgate Me!

This as hell won't be pleasant.

2K Salary but considering to

1. Keep Bike

2. Buy either a Civic Type R or an Evolution.

At 2K salary, maintaining a bike is barely enough matey.

You'd have to be more prudent in thoughts first than anything else more physical.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/triprider/imgphp.jpg

Fer everyday...

is an adventure...

when you're astride...

a green monster..

WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK N' ROLL

With my pay at about ~$2.3k take home, i already sacrifice my wants(branded goods and stuff) and just go to work and back and rest at home on weekend while maintaining my bike, paying bills and saving a portion for rainy dayso on. and if i would were to consider getting a car, i will have no savings and eat at home only. and don go out at all. and now factor in a family, if you mention 2k alone..no way you can hold an evo. not even red plate with properly sustaining your family.

Yamaha 125Z-Oct 2006 to OCT 2010

HONDA CB400 SPEC 1 - OCT 2010..

You dont see me running out there and buying an F430 scuderia and a Gallardo and a MercyE500, do you?

sure I would probably be able to pay the monthly instalments for all 3 cars just as you can yours, but we dont live our lives on a monthly basis.

Likewise you shouldnt screw yourself.

at $2k, you can barely save enough to move ahead.

you CANT afford a car. matter of fact. not opinion.

You should avoid getting tied down by loans at this stage.

but end of the day, your money, your choice, your life.

and trust me , we wont mind seeing another fool bite the dust

Good Luck

ps. it's harsh, for your own good

Edited by Throttle
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg

wow ... good advice .... make me feel that my choice is a good one ... that is stay with a bike only .... somemore wifey retrench couple of time ... at least i don't go crying .... or worst .... hanging myself ....

i agree with trasport should not go beyond 1/4 of your salary ....

my busa used to take up 3/4 of my salary . seriously no point .... can't even go on long trips ... as budjet blown ....

Past to present rides

Honda nsr sp 150 pro arm

Honda super4 ver s - yamaha rxz 135

Honda cbr 600 rr

Suzuki hayabusa 1300 - yamaha cygnus 125 - yamaha lc135 spark

Aprilia sr max 300 I.e

http://p1.bikepics.com/2013/10/22/bikepics-2608839-full.jpg

You dont see me running out there and buying an F430 scuderia and a Gallardo and a MercyE500, do you?

sure I would probably be able to pay the monthly instalments for all 3 cars just as you can yours, but we dont live our lives on a monthly basis.

Likewise you shouldnt screw yourself.

at $2k, you can barely save enough to move ahead.

you CANT afford a car. matter of fact. not opinion.

You should avoid getting tied down by loans at this stage.

@TS: this is very good advice, maybe if you are earning more you can think about getting a car (i'm assuming you'll be the only one paying for the car)

as such, dont even think about even getting a normal plate car. surely you wont have enough space to breathe..

my 2c

Edited by ravenSP

'96 nsr250sp

'90 nsr250r

'18 yzf-r6

Have never owned a car before, just a bike owner here, so I'm not sure how much it cost to maintain an Evo. Is it possible to own an Evo 9 if you have a $2K plus salary? :)

Before talking about upkeeping, you should check the insurance premium first. That alone will change your mind :)

Buy Ferrari on installment? Haha.

Why not? Spare cash in hand can use on investment, do business and generate more money. If u put all ur cash down just for a car den where will the money come next?

Riot-Bike Co.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/Riotbike/02ba5dfd.jpghttp://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/Riotbike/SimonsSideCarBike-1.jpg

Need sidecar for wedding photoshoot? PM me