SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[1st Bike] Yamaha FZ16 or R15?

GraceLee

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

r15 6.5k otr

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/lotand/IMG_1124.jpg

Ride Defensively; always.

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Kawasaki KIPS -> 2010 ~ 2014

Aprilia RS125(09) -> 2014 ~ 2017

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Suzuki DRZ -> 2017 ~ 2018

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies. I have decided on the FZ16. At 120kg, I think it is quite light and the seat is not that high either. I am disappointed with the fact that FZ16's tank is plastic, but I guess it is good in the sense that it is now easier for me to handle. R15 is indeed a nice bike, but India is launching a new version in March, which means I will have to wait a few more months for it.

The deciding factor is the ability and the looks of the bike for me to go on a tour. You have to admit it is dorky to put boxes on a sports bike! Not to mention the stress I'm going to put on my wrist should I go touring with the R15. I think FZ16 will accommodate to my requirement better.

I'm 165cm and weight only 44kg.

I think we need a picture of yourself to actually analyse what bike will suit you best. Height and weight is one thing, but you also have to assess the rider's other physical characteristics such as body build and proportion.

For example, a person may be 1.8m but if his legs are very long, then although he may suit riding a phantom, but his legs can touch the handlebars when doing slow speed turns. In my case, my bike is considered rather tall but the overall look of the bike is small so i look like an oversized giraffe riding a bicycle. The handlebars on my bike also hit my knees when i do a low speed turn.

I think its best if you have a picture of yourself so that we can advice you accordingly. :)

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

I ride an R15. it is 6-speed, so its quite comfortable to cruise smoothly up to 90+ kmh on 6th gear without revving too high. Posture not that bad, still acceptable, cos the handlebar is not very low.

FZ16 only 5-speed, so it might not be very comfortable to operate when u go up to malaysia/long distances.

Honestly r15 is quite a good bike, trusty and easy to handle, good for beginners. Also no known major problems yet so far. However, the price isn't exactly cheap, so maybe u want to consider cheaper older bikes bcos u might upgrade to 2A bike next year.

Edited by anthony_c

neither.

get a cheaper bike, save up for your 2a

As of now, I am not planning to upgrade my bike nor my license, so my purchase decision will based on that.

An "expensive" first-hand 2B bike is around 6,000? Whereas a "cheap" first-hand 2A bike is twice that price, it's a little out of my budget. I can't see myself spending more than 10,000 on a two-wheelers.

Grace! Just don't get a bike okay? DO NOT RIDE MOTORCYCLES. They are dangerous. Period.

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

I have been riding 2B bikes for almost 10 yrs, own be4 a SP150, Aprila, skipper,hexagon 150, Kr150, x9 200, runner 200, x1 , CB150 and currently on Fz16 .

i have also tested my friends pulsar 180, pulsar 200 and R15 . Most of the bike i own min 1mth and max less than 3 yrs i sold off.

If you will to ask me which 2B bike is gd ? I can tell you, buy the 1 u like.

Forget abt what new or old technology, its a 2B bike how fast can you go ?? And once u got into accident what new or old technology also cant really save you.

Yes R15 is nice but the seat look zzzzz, but the new R15 look great totally look like a smaller version of R1 .

And Fz16 tank really look like plastic so im thinking of pasting 3m carbon over the tank and change the drum brake to disc once available .

When someone sees you crying, and ask: "Are you ok?" Punch them in the face, and ask: "Now, are you ok?".

just get a 2nd hand bike.. Brand new COE high.. now 2K.

2007-=Honda NSR 150sp=-FR

2008-=Honda CBR 400=-FP

2008-=Suzuki GSXR 400=-FK

2009-=Yzf-R1 2004=-FX

2010-=Yzf-R1 2010=-FBE

2011-=Suzuki Gsxr 600 K7=- FBB

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z110/ahcongie/merge2.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z110/ahcongie/merge3.jpg

just get a 2nd hand bike.. Brand new COE high.. now 2K.

COE did not drop at all in the last 12 months, in fact it has been increasing monthly with great consistency. I expect the trend to continue in the near future. It only goes to show... if I don't buy now, new bikes are going to get even more expensive in the future!

first time heard a female rider saves up for their motorcycle. haha. dont worry. just get the one you like most. your bike not other ppl's. im a guy standing at 150cm/44kg and riding super 4. all you need is experiences and get time to get used to it. :)

Yamaha x1

Honda super 4 spec 1

:cheers:

• 1 month later...
Guest IceLkipz

Finally I got my R15 with a great smile!! I am a seasoned rider with riding experience with 2 other bikes and comparing Phantom,KRR and this new baby,R15...I say,lets go for R15.

I got my R15 from ASPHOON TOH GUAN branch and its afforable. The bike is smooth to handle,fast and powerful. Great for sporty beginners and its sexy curves will make u loving it more!!

Fuel consumption is superb! Speed is Good and stablity is AMAZING SUPERB!!

So, have you went down to any of the shop to view and seat on the bike yet? Walk around the bike, imagine urself riding it, sit on it like u are going to ride the bike (with hands on the clutch and throttle). If can, try to lift the bike off it's mainstand and simulate a traffic light stop and moving off posture. (feel comfortable?)

Everyone will have their own preferences on bikes.. some go for italians, some go for japanese, some goes for whatever there is..

So ultimately, you need to see and try what suits you better. Think not only about the purchase and also after purchase. Like adding accessories like box etc.

ALSO, Please please please do you research on the shop that you're planning to buy from. THAT IS AS IMPORTANT AS WHAT BIKE YOU WANT TO BUY.

=D. You'll need good after sales service and of course reliable in shop mechanics when the bike is still under warranty. Most sales person have good before sales service (duh) so dun be duped by tt yeah.. =)

Best of luck in your new bike hunt! Update us about which bike u purchased with bike pics! Of course dun forget to do ur own review on ur new ride as it will definitely help other new riders to consider =)

Helmets ON, Lets GO!!!! :thumb:

get a brand new bike and ride with lesser probs.

my wife used to ride a brand new SP which was like more than 10 years ago and straight away jumped to a class 2 bike upon gettin her class 2 license.

Its not the bike that matters in touring. its the rider.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm138/Sulphur81/Picture006-2.jpg

Thanks for the replies!

I guess now I'm veering towards the FZ16 for good.

swiftee: I did considered second hand bikes, but I'm worried about what the previous owner might had done to them. Most come with dubious spray paint and non-stock parts. As I mentioned earlier, looks are of great importance! And I might not have the technical knowledge to understand the changes made to the bike. I almost bought a bike with illegal modifications once, I did not hesitate to pull out of that deal there and then when I knew of the matter. That is why though they are more pricey, I am sticking to my plan to own a new bike. I'm sorry about your drop and theft, I guess it's part of riding?

I'm also curious if there is any ladies out there who is riding a 100kg++ bike with a frame like mine(165cm/44kg)? I guess FZ16 weights around 120-140?

Ever seen before a lady riding an R6 that weighs 180kg. How about that :) Height not sure cause she was riding hahaha. Anyway all the best to your new bike. I'm getting mine soon too lol, altho im getting a used bike from my cousin. Cousin to cousin wont cheat rgt(Im v close with them)? :)

2B - 29 December 2010, one time pass

2A - On going...

4 May 2011 to August 2011 - Honda NSR150SP

21 July 2012 - Honda Phantom TA200

http://thrumylensontwowheels.blogspot.sg/

Nikon D5000 | AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6G VR | Vitacon 67mm UV Filter | Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash | Yongnuo Speedlight YN560

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies. I have decided on the FZ16. At 120kg, I think it is quite light and the seat is not that high either. I am disappointed with the fact that FZ16's tank is plastic, but I guess it is good in the sense that it is now easier for me to handle. R15 is indeed a nice bike, but India is launching a new version in March, which means I will have to wait a few more months for it.

The deciding factor is the ability and the looks of the bike for me to go on a tour. You have to admit it is dorky to put boxes on a sports bike! Not to mention the stress I'm going to put on my wrist should I go touring with the R15. I think FZ16 will accommodate to my requirement better.

hm. i dunno. i brought my scrambler on a tour round west msia with side bags and top box. got quite a few compliments on the looks along the way. even tho scrambler is nt one of those bikes suitable for luggage...

I think we need a picture of yourself to actually analyse what bike will suit you best. Height and weight is one thing, but you also have to assess the rider's other physical characteristics such as body build and proportion.

For example, a person may be 1.8m but if his legs are very long, then although he may suit riding a phantom, but his legs can touch the handlebars when doing slow speed turns. In my case, my bike is considered rather tall but the overall look of the bike is small so i look like an oversized giraffe riding a bicycle. The handlebars on my bike also hit my knees when i do a low speed turn.

I think its best if you have a picture of yourself so that we can advice you accordingly. :)

don buaya la.

Grace! Just don't get a bike okay? DO NOT RIDE MOTORCYCLES. They are dangerous. Period.

hahah... tis is true! lol. but sometime u gotta do what u need to do.

Just get one that suits your style of riding. No point getting a bike and regretting your decision a few months after riding. If that happens, pray that your bike has a good resale value.

newbie usually dunno what is their style of riding yet la. best to buy a bike tt is nt very extreme n then sell it when you decide u dun like it anymore.

first time heard a female rider saves up for their motorcycle. haha. dont worry. just get the one you like most. your bike not other ppl's. im a guy standing at 150cm/44kg and riding super 4. all you need is experiences and get time to get used to it. :)

lol then the female rider money drop from the sky when they want to buy bike? like tt i also want. of course they save up la.

get a brand new bike and ride with lesser probs.

my wife used to ride a brand new SP which was like more than 10 years ago and straight away jumped to a class 2 bike upon gettin her class 2 license.

Its not the bike that matters in touring. its the rider.

brand new bike is quite siong in terms of cost wor. better to get 2nd hand bike and guidance from friends.

if no riding friends yet, too bad, go pay money learn experience, then get some riding friends at the same time.

I'm also curious if there is any ladies out there who is riding a 100kg++ bike with a frame like mine(165cm/44kg)? I guess FZ16 weights around 120-140?

i thot most bike (even 2b) heavier than 100kg? wait till u go on vacation... the battery die... have to push start it.

but nv mind they sell things like battery charger!

boring rider. with a boring bike.

too old to want to appear interesting anymore.