SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Beginner Biker

Iamacow

Hi, I'm thinking of taking up a bike's license but I don't know anything about riding! What do I need to know about the type of bike I should get after I pass my motorcycle license and things I should know about riding in general! Please share :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

slowly bro. beginner ah ah hm... easy maintain, easy control get a cub. everything is easy with a cub. i also just pass 2 - 3 mths ago, got myself a cub, sometimes see ppl run also feel like running lah but it boils down to how much are you willing to spend on the bike lo. but most importantly must be safe la to me. yah loh...

Yamaha Supreme X1 - April 2011 till September 2011

Kawasaki KRR ZX150 - September 2011 till August 2012

CB400 VTEC II - August 2012 - Current

"I Don't Ride Fast, I Fly Low"

You get your licence first then think about it. Right now, focus on riding first and don't worry about what bike to get! :)

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

You get your licence first then think about it. Right now, focus on riding first and don't worry about what bike to get! :)

Haha yea :) but kinda excited you know. And what if I get my license but in the end can't find a suitable bike!

Haha yea :) but kinda excited you know. And what if I get my license but in the end can't find a suitable bike!

Don't worry, you will. As long you have money, can already.

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

Window shopping at bike shops to get an idea what kind of bike you want and work out your affordability.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/SV650_photos/P1140039.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/SV650_photos/P1130008.jpg

When I passed, I told myself I'd get a 4 stroke, easy maintenance, low FC bike like a Spark. Saw a 2 stroker sport bike and got that instead, old one somemore. Don't do what I did.

What's the difference between a 2 striker and a 4 stroke bike? :o

What's the difference between a 2 striker and a 4 stroke bike? :o

that pretty technical. you can do a search online for 2 stroke and 4 stroke engine which will help you to understand better then someone typing a wall of text.

bascially 2T bike produce the same power output as 4T but at double the rate. so 2stroke pick up is faster but top speed should be the same if everything else is equal.

4 stroke generally have better fuel economy and slightly easier to maintain. the main problem with 2stroke bike to me is it produce excessive white smoke unless it is very well maintain. excessive white smoke = fine. if it is 2B bikes, but 4stroke and 2stroke bike is pretty lasting.

that pretty technical. you can do a search online for 2 stroke and 4 stroke engine which will help you to understand better then someone typing a wall of text.

bascially 2T bike produce the same power output as 4T but at double the rate. so 2stroke pick up is faster but top speed should be the same if everything else is equal.

4 stroke generally have better fuel economy and slightly easier to maintain. the main problem with 2stroke bike to me is it produce excessive white smoke unless it is very well maintain. excessive white smoke = fine. if it is 2B bikes, but 4stroke and 2stroke bike is pretty lasting.

Eh no, 2T produce twice the power of an equivalent 4T without including friction. 2T engines also are simpler with less moving parts thus lighter than a 4T equivalent. 2T tend to be more polluting because they don't burn fuel as efficiently and they need 2T oil as well to assist in lubrication unlike 4Ts which uses engine oil for all its lubrication needs. The most modern 2T engines aren't found on bikes but on snowmobiles, which uses direct injection.

TS, I suggest you take your license. While you are taking lessons, you will slowly gain more knowledge with bikes.

To me, no such thing as beginner bike de .. it's more of how much your budget is, and how much you like that bike.

What you will use in school will be naked bikes , or some say streetbikes. think they're using CG titian now ? Or cbf ? Forgot already =_=

Anyway, don't limit yourself to sportsbike. When I was taking my license, I said I wanna go cruiser all the way. End up ? Buy here sell there trying out all types of bike.

To each his own , it applies to bikes as well. Different bikes got different fun factor in it. Don't worry about what bike to get first, because it doesnt help you in gaining any knowledge of riding. =D

Adventure.

Most importantly, ride safely, especially if you're new, I had 2 in 5 months,

1 was inexperience in cornering where I literally leaned low but my suspension was quite spent resulting in the bike swaying in a corner,

another was not reading the road condition properly, braked on road shoulder marking instead of using engine braking, wheel locked and I went sliding.

If it was different in some manner, I would prolly be dead, twice. The injury part didn't bother me that much, the money part did.

So yeah, to help you save your life and your wallet, learn how to ride safely and defensively.

1 was inexperience in cornering where I literally leaned low but my suspension was quite spent resulting in the bike swaying in a corner,

another was not reading the road condition properly, braked on road shoulder marking instead of using engine braking, wheel locked and I went sliding.

If it was different in some manner, I would prolly be dead, twice. The injury part didn't bother me that much, the money part did.

So yeah, to help you save your life and your wallet, learn how to ride safely and defensively.

I second this!

Personally, even if u ride safe, there will always be some bugger out there trying to break ur clean sheet!

So TS, attend ur lessons and learn bout bikes along the way. Meet new ppl and make friends with them. U'll learn more that way. :)

Oh haha thank you! So 4 stroke is better for beginner?

TS, I suggest you take your license. While you are taking lessons, you will slowly gain more knowledge with bikes.

To me, no such thing as beginner bike de .. it's more of how much your budget is, and how much you like that bike.

What you will use in school will be naked bikes , or some say streetbikes. think they're using CG titian now ? Or cbf ? Forgot already =_=

Anyway, don't limit yourself to sportsbike. When I was taking my license, I said I wanna go cruiser all the way. End up ? Buy here sell there trying out all types of bike.

To each his own , it applies to bikes as well. Different bikes got different fun factor in it. Don't worry about what bike to get first, because it doesnt help you in gaining any knowledge of riding. =D

Haha point taken! Will go and learn first hehe

Yes! Safety comes first, but sometimes it isn't your fault. It's the people driving cars! Haha

I second this!

Personally, even if u ride safe, there will always be some bugger out there trying to break ur clean sheet!

So TS, attend ur lessons and learn bout bikes along the way. Meet new ppl and make friends with them. U'll learn more that way. :)

Haha kk thank youuuuu :):)

Eh no, 2T produce twice the power of an equivalent 4T without including friction. 2T engines also are simpler with less moving parts thus lighter than a 4T equivalent. 2T tend to be more polluting because they don't burn fuel as efficiently and they need 2T oil as well to assist in lubrication unlike 4Ts which uses engine oil for all its lubrication needs. The most modern 2T engines aren't found on bikes but on snowmobiles, which uses direct injection.

i don't understand what is "without including friction". care to explain?

you need to be clear. a 150CC 2stroke bike does not produce twice the power of 4T. it produce the same power at twice the rate due to shorter cycle. therefore adding up to a theoretical twice the amount of power at a given time. you are making it sound like a 150CC 2T bike can produce power equal to a 300CC 4T bike. it doesn't work that way.

the rest i agree. as per why, thread starter will have to read up if he is interested:)

you need to be clear. a 150CC 2stroke bike does not produce twice the power of 4T. it produce the same power at twice the rate due to shorter cycle. therefore adding up to a theoretical twice the amount of power at a given time. you are making it sound like a 150CC 2T bike can produce power equal to a 300CC 4T bike. it doesn't work that way.

the rest i agree. as per why, thread starter will have to read up if he is interested:)

Well if you want a field test, so far its expecting alot for a 4T 150cc to reach 180km/h, it shouldn't be a problem for most 2T sportbikes. Guess that's what people see and care less about the technicalities.

Haha okay :) thank you guys for the help!