• Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Android or Windows Phone 8?

crazydj

Hi guys!

I want to ask you guys what would suit me more. I can re-contract on my mobile plan and intend to have a 3G connection and a leading smart phone. You guys get what i mean... rolleyes.gif I currently have no data connection on my iPhone 4. Long story short, 2 years ago, i got a free Nokia C5-03, it magically broke down 1 year later. A few weeks ago, my sis upgraded to an iPhone 5 and handed me her iPhone 4.

Having used the iPhone 4 has been very complicated for me. I have always hated Apple (me prefering Windows & Linux). In a nutshell, i find that the iPhone feels like an incomplete product and i have to buy apps just for it to run like i expect a good smart phone out of the box. Dare i say, in terms of functionality and practically, my old Symbian was better. Before i used the iPhone, my friend handed me his Galaxy S3 and everything felt natural and logical. Not like iOS where i had to go through so many things to access something. It feels like everything is all over the place. I have never really tried or meddled with Windows in depth before, but preliminary testing suggest that it feels similar to Android. Navigating it feels as natural and logical as with the S3.

Of course, i want to narrow it down to the OS first. I welcome any suggestions on which exact smartphone model to get.

To better illustrate my requirements, i have listed down my smart phone needs below:

- Needs to be highly customisable (software wise)

- Large number of free apps and app support

- Must be able to plug-and-play/sync my calendars, emails and contacts with MS Outlook

- Better than average battery life

- Excellent support and update

- Able to accept Micro SD

- Be able to have free/support of commonly used apps like WhatsApp, Viber, etc.

- Call and SMS reliably as i do this more than using What's app, Viber, etc.

- A reliable default alarm clock that lets me type the alarm time (not scroll through some crappy wheel thingy) and set my snooze duration

- Write notes, organiser, reminders out of the box

- Access MS documents & .pdf for free

- Provide productivity tools out of the box. if not, numerous free ones in the store.

- Simple, fuss-free, no-frills phone management software

- OS can be easily updated everytime a new version is released

- OS lasts at least 3 years

Things i rarely do on my phone:

- Watch movies, youtube

- Listen to music

- Social networking crap like Facebook, Twitter, etc.

- Play games

- Take pictures and videos

In a nutshell, i need a workhorse phone. Reliable, practical and logical. I come from a background of learning PCs from MS-Dos to Windows to some Linux. Give me a Mac, i totally have difficulties using it. Help me out here guys. I just dont want to commit to an OS that is half-baked/has ZERO support/non-existing mainstream apps. I learnt my lesson when i got my Symbian 2 years ago. Thanks! tongue.gif

[2005 Yamaha YBR 125]

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/crazydj_sgbikes/WarningMagicalFuelPenguins2.jpg?t=1261137815

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys!

I want to ask you guys what would suit me more. I can re-contract on my mobile plan and intend to have a 3G connection and a leading smart phone. You guys get what i mean... rolleyes.gif I currently have no data connection on my iPhone 4. Long story short, 2 years ago, i got a free Nokia C5-03, it magically broke down 1 year later. A few weeks ago, my sis upgraded to an iPhone 5 and handed me her iPhone 4.

Having used the iPhone 4 has been very complicated for me. I have always hated Apple (me prefering Windows & Linux). In a nutshell, i find that the iPhone feels like an incomplete product and i have to buy apps just for it to run like i expect a good smart phone out of the box. Dare i say, in terms of functionality and practically, my old Symbian was better. Before i used the iPhone, my friend handed me his Galaxy S3 and everything felt natural and logical. Not like iOS where i had to go through so many things to access something. It feels like everything is all over the place. I have never really tried or meddled with Windows in depth before, but preliminary testing suggest that it feels similar to Android. Navigating it feels as natural and logical as with the S3.

Of course, i want to narrow it down to the OS first. I welcome any suggestions on which exact smartphone model to get.

To better illustrate my requirements, i have listed down my smart phone needs below:

- Needs to be highly customisable (software wise)

- Large number of free apps and app support

- Must be able to plug-and-play/sync my calendars, emails and contacts with MS Outlook

- Better than average battery life

- Excellent support and update

- Able to accept Micro SD

- Be able to have free/support of commonly used apps like WhatsApp, Viber, etc.

- Call and SMS reliably as i do this more than using What's app, Viber, etc.

- A reliable default alarm clock that lets me type the alarm time (not scroll through some crappy wheel thingy) and set my snooze duration

- Write notes, organiser, reminders out of the box

- Access MS documents & .pdf for free

- Provide productivity tools out of the box. if not, numerous free ones in the store.

- Simple, fuss-free, no-frills phone management software

- OS can be easily updated everytime a new version is released

- OS lasts at least 3 years

Things i rarely do on my phone:

- Watch movies, youtube

- Listen to music

- Social networking crap like Facebook, Twitter, etc.

- Play games

- Take pictures and videos

In a nutshell, i need a workhorse phone. Reliable, practical and logical. I come from a background of learning PCs from MS-Dos to Windows to some Linux. Give me a Mac, i totally have difficulties using it. Help me out here guys. I just dont want to commit to an OS that is half-baked/has ZERO support/non-existing mainstream apps. I learnt my lesson when i got my Symbian 2 years ago. Thanks! tongue.gif

Currently using Galaxy S3 and ipad. benn using android since S1. No exp with windows phone 7.

From your needs it seems like android is the safest choice to go.

- Needs to be highly customisable (software wise). Android. iOS sucks at customisation. need to jailbreak.

- Large number of free apps and app support Both iOS and Android got large no. of free and paid apps. iOS got more. Developers usually release iOS version then later android version.

- Must be able to plug-and-play/sync my calendars, emails and contacts with MS Outlook. Both iOS and android does that easily

- Better than average battery life. Battery can usually last you 1 whole day with moderate use. iPhone only has built in battery. Most android phone can just buy extra battery and swap.

- Excellent support and update iOS has better support and update than android. Android is fragmented and need to wait for individual manufacturers to release new version. If getting the latest version of android is important to you, can consider nexus phone from google. samsung is quite fast with their release for their higher end models. ie S3 and note.

- Able to accept Micro SD. samsung phones the choice here. iphone, nexus, htc, windows phone dont have sd card expansion

- Be able to have free/support of commonly used apps like WhatsApp, Viber, etc. Both iOS and Android. though iOS sometimes is a bit better. but may change in future as android user base gets bigger.

- Call and SMS reliably as i do this more than using What's app, Viber, etc. modern android phones and iphone are reliable. galaxy S1 always hang lol

- A reliable default alarm clock that lets me type the alarm time (not scroll through some crappy wheel thingy) and set my snooze duration can type the numbers in default samsung alarm clock.

- Write notes, organiser, reminders out of the box iphone and samsung all can

- Access MS documents & .pdf for free iphone and samsung all can

- Provide productivity tools out of the box. if not, numerous free ones in the store. iphone and samsung all can

- Simple, fuss-free, no-frills phone management software. android wins here

- OS can be easily updated everytime a new version is released iOS has better support and update than android. Android is fragmented and need to wait for individual manufacturers to release new version. If getting the latest version of android is important to you, can consider nexus phone from google. samsung is quite fast with their release for their higher end models. ie S3 and note.

- OS lasts at least 3 years. iOS. even 4/5 year old 3GS gets updated. Most android manufacturers stop updating after 2 years. BUT...if you are technically inclined, there is a big community doing custom roms for android at XDA.

in short. my recommendation based on your needs is still android. specifically samsung S3 and note 2. or wait for S4 release somewhere mid year. there are so much more things you can do and customise with android. symbian was a wrong choice even 2 years ago. its already dying then. should be dead by now.

you seem to be a person that doesnt want to pay for apps. i have used android for 3 years and havent spent a single cent on apps. can get most things done with free apps (with ads of course)

oh and you will need data connection to get the most out of a smart phone. without it its basically a dumb phone.

Edited by Sonic

SYM Aficianado Singapore

https://www.facebook.com/groups/symas

• 3 weeks later...

Yep sounds like you should go for an android phone. Windows 8 phones have their fan base due to various reasons (like Nokia with its fantastic hardware) but the mobile wibndows app network is in its infancy right now - you won't be able to find many.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wa old tread..

Anyway, go for it if u ever thought of a Windows phone. And no harm trying right?

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/lotand/IMG_1124.jpg

Ride Defensively; always.

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Kawasaki KIPS -> 2010 ~ 2014

Aprilia RS125(09) -> 2014 ~ 2017

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Suzuki DRZ -> 2017 ~ 2018

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

• 4 weeks later...