SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] CB400 Engine Oil Change Interval

SparkerS1

Engine Oil Change Interval  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Engine Oil Change Interval

Every rider has different servicing intervals due to different riding conditions, different riding techiques or track racing.

Let us input our experiences and opinons regarding Engine Oil (EO) interval into this poll.

Please feel free to post the type of engine oil used and Engine Oil change interval if any to contribute. :thumb:

Yamaha RXZ, Kawasaki ZX KR150, Yamaha Spark135, Honda CB400 REVO NC42, Suzuki DRZ400SMK8, Aprilia RS125, Suzuki GSXR600K9, Honda RS150R

Click on the bike models for Information/Servicing/Maintenance on Kawasaki KR150, Honda CB400 Revo, Suzuki DRZ400SM and Suzuki GSXR

Facebook HONDA CB400 REVO

Can't post a new thread ?? Read HERE

SBF Garage Sales Act ---> Read HERE

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My views on Engine Oil change interval

Heat will speed up EO degrading process.

Preventive is always better than corrective.

The service intervals in the CB400 Maintenance Schedule are based on average riding conditions. Some items will need more frequent service if you ride in unusually wet or dusty areas, or if you often accelerate quickly and use full throttle.

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/parts-service/maintenance-schedules

Therefore, I used Motul 300V Factory line and change my EO every 6000-6500km or every 6 months whichever comes first for CB400 Revo :cheers:

Edited by SparkerS1
Additional details

Yamaha RXZ, Kawasaki ZX KR150, Yamaha Spark135, Honda CB400 REVO NC42, Suzuki DRZ400SMK8, Aprilia RS125, Suzuki GSXR600K9, Honda RS150R

Click on the bike models for Information/Servicing/Maintenance on Kawasaki KR150, Honda CB400 Revo, Suzuki DRZ400SM and Suzuki GSXR

Additional information for reference

Most 4-stroke bike engines contain less oil than car engines, and that oil not only has to perform in the engine, but also has to survive the high stresses of the gearbox and allow smooth clutch operation. Bike oils have to work much harder in comparison with car oil.

With less sophisticated oils, intense shear forces can lead to the breakdown of viscosity modifiers that prevent oils from becoming too thin as the temperature increases. When this breakdown occurs, small carbon particles are released into the oil and can form sludge deposits. These can lead to carbon and lacquer deposits especially on hot engine parts such as pistons and piston ring grooves, resulting in starting problems, power loss and failure to protect pistons from metal loss.

In the harsh environment of a modern bike engine, oil degrades with time, which results in a loss of the properties it was formulated to have. This degradation leads to a build-up of acids and an increase in the oil’s viscosity, which results in a reduction in your engine’s performance and the level of protection that the oil gives to engine components.

Your engine oil needs to be changed regularly to ensure engine longevity.

Oil changes are at owner's discretion.

Taken from: http://www.shell.com.hk/en/products-services/on-the-road/consumer-lubricants-tpkg/motorcycles/shell-advance-best-bike/maximum-engine-protection.html

Honda recommend 12000km OCI indeed....lets be fair and take certain aspects into consideration and let me explain why i have a 4500km OCI which many people might considered it as waste of resources or money.... if those who read the reviews of revo in the authorised honda website, you can see that the fuel consumption is based on last gear travelling at 60km/hr..... which is slighlty lower than rpm4 at tachometer... thats why i concluded that the oci of 12000km in thw manual is based on that rpm....me travelling at almost 8rpm and sometime dragged to 10rpm use the 4500km oci because 12000km oci --> 4rpm(round up)

so using ave rpm of 9 based on my riding habit → 12000/(9/4) = 12000/ 2.25= 5333.3333333km....me, being typica kiasu singaporean wanna play safe and have a 4500km oci as i know engine oil detoriate over times and higher rpm will create more heat and debris in the gearbox.... i am providing this info based on purely my riding experience..... not 20 plus year of cos...you can still say that its not stated in the manual and 10000 km oci is safe.... u might be correct but different riders have different riding habits, nv pin point a particular someone just because he has a status over here in the forum.... i believe there is no definite answer to this OCI topic so please do not try to start any cyber battle over here by saying other people are giving bad advices and/or being biased towards blah blah blah , perhaps you need to use some of the grey matter mate ....

lets be fair and let the other be the judge and decide their own OCI... i can say that i did not come out with this 4500km oci based on purely the manual.... i might be wrong ! but if i am correct then happy overhauling mates!!

This info was what i have posted in the Revo thread, cheers

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/godsendworx/mesh/supporters/ldslds_siggy-1.gif

BY GODSENDWORX=)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/305185-ldslds-GARAGE-SALES!!

The CBR400's manufacturer-recommended EO change interval is 12,000km?? 0.o

The recommended interval for DRZ-400SMs is just every 1,000km! Bloody hell.

That's because your bike is meant to go off-road and Suzuki has taken into consideration that people who buy the bike will actually go off road when they decided what should be the recommended OCI. On the other hand the CB400s are not meant to go off-road and are expected to be ridden in normal conditions such as Singapore/Malaysia roads.

Do read the discussions at the following posts on the Revo thread starting here: #8671

Be wary of the source of information for your bike's maintenance. Some FAQs are compiled by people who lack the technical know how. :angel:

thanks for sharing.

well for me, i rode from bukit batok to changi airport daily commute for home to work then to home. roughly 60km daily to and fro.

i have been on ahpek eo and grounding currently and 3k km millage so far still smooth with no loss of power with avg riding speed of 100-110km/h on PIE.

but in general, i would like to know for long distance riding which would be better?

EO such as Motul 300v or X Rev/maxima 15w-50w or 10w-40w

any input would be greatly appreciated.

The CBR400's manufacturer-recommended EO change interval is 12,000km?? 0.o

The recommended interval for DRZ-400SMs is just every 1,000km! Bloody hell.

DRZ400SM has a dry sump engine thus the lower engine oil change interval.

thanks for sharing.

well for me, i rode from bukit batok to changi airport daily commute for home to work then to home. roughly 60km daily to and fro.

i have been on ahpek eo and grounding currently and 3k km millage so far still smooth with no loss of power with avg riding speed of 100-110km/h on PIE.

but in general, i would like to know for long distance riding which would be better?

Why nt you put Ahpek EO to the test like how I do??

Dnt talk about SG Stop&Go traffic..

Take it for a Frequent Trip Up&down Genting a few times, then maybe continue till Thailand on a single oil change from Ahpek ..

After that, change your preferred EO n go exactly the same trip again..

U will so find which EO is up for this type of High Speed/ Distance run

Trying Is Believing. :cheers:

That's because your bike is meant to go off-road and Suzuki has taken into consideration that people who buy the bike will actually go off road when they decided what should be the recommended OCI. On the other hand the CB400s are not meant to go off-road and are expected to be ridden in normal conditions such as Singapore/Malaysia roads.

Do read the discussions at the following posts on the Revo thread starting here: #8671

Thanks for the link - it was an informative read.

The DRZ400SM's meant for road use, actually, and I don't think Suzuki intended for the stock bike to be used on a tarmac race track. Even after 1000km/1 month of commuting at moderate revs the oil comes out a dirty brown. I think the main reason for the 1000km interval is that the stator coil is directly cooled by the EO, so its lifespan is dependent on how clean the oil is. To me that's a bit of a design flaw.

Sorry for butting in here, but the 12000km interval for Super Fours just blew my mind, and I thought I'd share how awesome it is for you guys to have such a low-maintenance machine. :)

Your oil is black after just 1000 km on the drz is due to your riding conditions. If you are in start stop traffic most of the time or your coolant isn't taken care of, that's the result. I use my drz for transport and sometimes I drag my service to 2500 km and my oil still come outs clean. Not clear but not black. Put a torch to the oil as it flows out and you can still see through it. Just thought there's some justification that needs to be done for be drz engine. *peace*

Ride fast..ride safe..don't crash...

thanks for sharing.

I have used Mobil 1 4T 10W40 (Gold bottle fully synthetic) for bikes, Mobil 1 10W40 (fully synthetic) for cars and Motul 300V (when I managed to get it for $25/litre). I am now running Shell Rimula 15W40 in my engine.

I do SG-KL runs almost every month. In June 2012 to Feb 2013, I was doing SG-KL and SG-Ipoh trips about once a month. All of the oils I've used were great. No performance loss or increase in fuel consumption noted (I record my petrol consumption data religiously at every top-up). All the oils also last about 9-10k, my typical oil change interval.

Thanks for the link - it was an informative read.

The DRZ400SM's meant for road use, actually, and I don't think Suzuki intended for the stock bike to be used on a tarmac race track. Even after 1000km/1 month of commuting at moderate revs the oil comes out a dirty brown. I think the main reason for the 1000km interval is that the stator coil is directly cooled by the EO, so its lifespan is dependent on how clean the oil is. To me that's a bit of a design flaw.

Sorry for butting in here, but the 12000km interval for Super Fours just blew my mind, and I thought I'd share how awesome it is for you guys to have such a low-maintenance machine. :)

Err... the DRZ is a street legal dirt bike, i.e. dual-purpose

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/DR-Z400/2012/DRZ400S.aspx

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/Reviews/Suzuki/DRZ400/DRZ400_text.html

Anyway, one of the reasons why the DRZ has such a low OCI is because it has a low engine oil capacity (1.7-1.9L). The overall condition of oil when the volume is low would always deteriorate faster compared to running higher volume of oil in similar conditions.

As you are only using your DRZ in street/commuting conditions, it is OK to stretch your OCI to 1,500-2,000+km or even 3,000km. As noted by @ticks the oil still comes out "clean" at 2,500km.

You will know from riding your bike how long the oil lasts in your bike. Look for signs of gear shifts becoming more "notchy" or the engine sounding more rough or noisy.

Your oil is black after just 1000 km on the drz is due to your riding conditions. If you are in start stop traffic most of the time or your coolant isn't taken care of, that's the result. I use my drz for transport and sometimes I drag my service to 2500 km and my oil still come outs clean. Not clear but not black. Put a torch to the oil as it flows out and you can still see through it. Just thought there's some justification that needs to be done for be drz engine. *peace*

"It is a common misconception that an oil's color is an indication of how "dirty" it is. This is not necessarily accurate." :)

Read more on this here

Dont let anyone use this to "psycho" you! Another trick they like to use is to ask you to feel the used oil by rubbing some between your fingers. Nothing beats oil analysis to determine if the oil still has sufficient lubricating properties. Though this service is not accessible to us here in Singapore, we can still rely our friends in the US and UK who post their oil analysis online as a guide.

Be wary of the source of information for your bike's maintenance. Some FAQs are compiled by people who lack the technical know how. :angel:

Ramsnake. Agreed that color of oil doesn't tell the full story. But I guess my point was, even though my oil was clean as I saw it, Gear shifts already started to feel dodgy.

Not sure how that rider could get his drz oil to be black after just 1000kms... Maybe high revving riding or alot of city riding...

Ride fast..ride safe..don't crash...

Why nt you put Ahpek EO to the test like how I do??

Dnt talk about SG Stop&Go traffic..

Take it for a Frequent Trip Up&down Genting a few times, then maybe continue till Thailand on a single oil change from Ahpek ..

After that, change your preferred EO n go exactly the same trip again..

U will so find which EO is up for this type of High Speed/ Distance run

Trying Is Believing. :cheers:

i am taking it for a test now and will update here how far it would last roughly at my current style of riding at SG road expressway.

what mileage you are getting on ahpek's eo before yr next oil change?

BTW, @feelspeed what bike are you riding? As you are using Ah Pek's engine oil, what is the oil change interval he recommends? Just curious...

riding vtec2. so far eo is running smooth as per normal that i don't really feel any sluggish or vibration much. Shifting gear is smooth as well. Mileage clocked is 3k km+ of now and usually s4 i noticed people mentioned for a oil interval change at 5k km or 3 months which ever come first.

For me, i m going by the feel of my engine which is just a rough gauge only.

...and usually s4 i noticed people mentioned for a oil interval change at 5k km or 3 months which ever come first.

Mention?

LOL... IMHO, those who talk about 5k km OCI for super fours and are using good quality synthetic oils can't really justify with acceptable reasons why they change oil at 5k.

riding vtec2. so far eo is running smooth as per normal that i don't really feel any sluggish or vibration much. Shifting gear is smooth as well.

For me, i m going by the feel of my engine which is just a rough gauge only.

Going by feel of engine is good. So what is the longest mileage you have done before you feel the need to change the oil? What oil was that? Also, what are the signs you look for that tell you "my engine needs an oil change"?

thanks for sharing.

similar riding style as me. i commute from bukit batok to simei monday to friday. im also spec 2, using ah pek oil. Current mileage on ahpek oil is 15k+ km. Still feeling good but i thought 15k is enough, maybe it's time to change. i will be changing probably end of this month.

similar riding style as me. i commute from bukit batok to simei monday to friday. im also spec 2, using ah pek oil. Current mileage on ahpek oil is 15k+ km. Still feeling good but i thought 15k is enough, maybe it's time to change. i will be changing probably end of this month.

Wahahahaha.... 15k km! Well done! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

That's enough lah, bro. Manual recommends 12k OCI, btw.

Please do vote on the poll at the top of the page. This will show others that Honda's 12,000km OCI is realistic.

Wahahahaha.... 15k km! Well done! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

That's enough lah, bro. Manual recommends 12k OCI, btw.

Please do vote on the poll at the top of the page. This will show others that Honda's 12,000km OCI is realistic.

Still can go far..i use ap oil till 30+k liao..tats is old type of ap oil..think the new ap oil better:)

Sent from my GT-N7005 using Tapatalk 2

Still can go far..i use ap oil till 30+k liao..tats is old type of ap oil..think the new ap oil better:)

Sent from my GT-N7005 using Tapatalk 2

:clapping:

....and there are people who use super expensive $33/litre oil and they dump the oil at 5-6000km! :slapforehead:

Wat to do..

It's "Branding" mahh.. :dozed:

Yup, "branding" + kiasu + too much money + some other factors deemed too "offensive" to mention here... :angel: